Author Topic: Win two of next 3, make a bowl ?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline FilmJunky

Re: Win two of next 3, make a bowl ?
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not sure what can be done the last three games. Spears is in a weird spot though. Either extend him or fire him at the end of the year is the only option to me. I'm not sure Huff is gonna sign on for the last  year of his contract to be a prove it deal. If nothing happens you have a lame duck head coach which could set the program back further from a recruiting standpoint potentially. Who knows what will be done. I don't exactly trust the athletic department to make the best decision.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2023, 02:24:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When it comes down to it, I feel our AD will give Huff an extension of some sort. It will be said that "injuries" plagued our season and if we had been healthy, who knows what could have happened. Last year's win against Notre Dame and this year's win against Virginia Tech will be mentioned. Promises of "exciting things" for next season will be highlighted. Huff might even get rid of a coordinator or two to help sell the illusion that things are back on track and we're heading in the right direction. Everyone saves face and it allows Huff another chance (or two) to put together a winning season in hopes of getting out of Huntington for good.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2023, 04:14:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Year extension but clean house

Online Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2023, 05:14:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Total excision of current staff at season's end. Start fresh.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Online elginherd

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2023, 05:30:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm predicting a 2 yr extension with a very Marshall friendly buyout, with a stipulation of major staff changes.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2023, 06:08:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There should not be any extension under any circumstances.  Huff has not earned the extra time on our sideline.  He talks and talks and talks and says nothing.  A 5 year old can see we need major changes in offense but Huff makes many excuses as to not lay blame on the QB or coaches.  We have scored 1 TD in 3 games...

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Online elginherd

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2023, 06:38:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There should not be any extension under any circumstances.  Huff has not earned the extra time on our sideline.  He talks and talks and talks and says nothing.  A 5 year old can see we need major changes in offense but Huff makes many excuses as to not lay blame on the QB or coaches.  We have scored 1 TD in 3 games...

Big difference in what "should" and what "will" happen.
    I agree with the "should", but just looking at it from a somewhat objective (as much as I can be) view, Spears has been placed in what chess players call a fork.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2023, 07:16:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We don't need to do another mistake like extending a coach's contract like we did with Doc, who should been let go years before he has fired.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 07:34:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess it boils down to does Ali have a couple 3-4 TD games left in him, because on a good day Cam only gives us 7 points and the 7 he gives us is usually negated by an interception that ends up being 7 points for our opponents.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2023, 09:20:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cam has 2 yrs eligibility left, so however many more yrs we give huff, we'll have that many more yrs of this pathetic offense

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline coalherd

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2023, 09:24:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1721908867775316191?s=20

Umm, I believe many of those on this "losing streak" list can also be found on that poll that I still think that someone puts out every week called "The Bottom Ten"!!!

Online elginherd

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 09:32:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Umm, I believe many of those on this "losing streak" list can also be found on that poll that I still think that someone puts out every week called "The Bottom Ten"!!!

Ryan McGee of ESPN

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 09:32:08 PM »

Offline banker

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2023, 12:19:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To extend a guy who was using us and never planned on being here 4 years would be madness. The guy is 1 game over .500 in 3 years against FBS. We had an average record of 8.4-3.6 the 10 years prior.

Here will be his case with Spears:  we have played 9 games. That?s 198 ?starts? for our 22 position players. Only 45 of those starts have been by seniors. We are a young squad.  60 starts have come from Fr and So.  So next year we return a very experienced group of seniors (almost half our starts) plus a lot of unerclassman that got a lot of experience.

That?s the sell. Of course it ignores that a lot of those players didn?t perform at a level that was very good.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34, herdfifteen

Offline HerdFan1114

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2023, 09:11:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched the Georgia State/GA Southern game.  Those were two hard playing teams.  Unless something changes in the way we play, I am afraid that Saturday's game will not end the way we want it to.  Hopefully changes will be made in play calling.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2023, 09:44:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched the Georgia State/GA Southern game.  Those were two hard playing teams.  Unless something changes in the way we play, I am afraid that Saturday's game will not end the way we want it to.  Hopefully changes will be made in play calling.

You can call all the plays you want, but if your poor at coaching or you recruit uncoachable kids it doesn't matter. Also, if your gonna trot Fancher out there the game is most likely over anyway. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2023, 09:44:02 AM »