Author Topic: What we know after Queens  (Read 2743 times)

Offline muherd34

Re: What we know after Queens
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2023, 11:02:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ummmm, have to wonder 24 if a well-known commandant of the feared "Grammar Gestapo" on another board is lurking over here!!!

For whatever reason I find it both pathetic and funny that someone puts so much effort in disecting grammar on any message board.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2023, 11:02:33 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2023, 11:14:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wasn?t going to comment but can?t help myself lol

Are we going to have a good season in terms of wins/losses? I have no clue.

What I did see tonight was EFFORT. I saw some defense in terms of steals.

Most importantly, I saw unselfish TEAM ball for the most part.

If they play like this every night then I will watch and support them regardless of their record.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, parshall2marshall, svherd, usedcars1, muherd34, HerdHopeful07, goherd24

Offline goherd24

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2023, 11:21:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wasn?t going to comment but can?t help myself lol

Are we going to have a good season in terms of wins/losses? I have no clue.

What I did see tonight was EFFORT. I saw some defense in terms of steals.

Most importantly, I saw unselfish TEAM ball for the most part.

If they play like this every night then I will watch and support them regardless of their record.
    .they just look and feel different. That effort and energy could be felt. I can't wait til friday. Radford is a solid basketball team, we are going to the Greenbrier for the weekend snd gonna check it out.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2023, 12:55:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • .they just look and feel different. That effort and energy could be felt. I can't wait til friday. Radford is a solid basketball team, we are going to the Greenbrier for the weekend snd gonna check it out.

I agree that the team looked and felt different (in a good way).

My concern, is it still seems we are 1-2 players away from being really good. This is always the case with DD and why I?m ready for a new coach. Having said that, maybe that?s just me being wrong, I hope so. Either way, I saw enough hustle and unselfish play that I?m cautiously optimistic and will support that kind of play regardless.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline banker

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2023, 01:18:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just to fact check - Albany is ranked in the top 25 of FCS, so not a bad FCS team. *

*does not change the fact the football team is bad.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34, chris88, Flat Tire 2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2023, 04:22:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How did they get out rebounded by this smaller team then.?

Long shots

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline wlf

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2023, 05:46:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were 7.5pt favs tonite so a 16 pt win isn't as bad as some think.

That's the problem .I remember when that number would have been doubled .

Realistically,  expectations have greatly diminished.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 05:55:15 AM by wlf »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2, scope58, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2023, 06:10:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's the problem .I remember when that number would have been doubled .

Realistically,  expectations have greatly diminished.

It seems now we are thrilled with beating anyone.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, scope58

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2023, 07:00:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We don't know much after last night. We had some good signs though.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, wlf

Offline scope58

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2023, 07:26:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's the problem .I remember when that number would have been doubled .

Realistically,  expectations h
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:02:15 AM by scope58 »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2023, 07:27:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Long shots

That's true.
    I'm too lazy to chart a game, but it seemed like a lot of the Queens offensive rebounds were longish rebounds of the rim on the weak side.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline scope58

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2023, 07:39:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Damn I guess we are SB champs and sweet16. Who would have thought beating 3 teams nobody ever heard of?
    Lol, This guy is to much.Talk about clown.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2023, 07:39:25 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2023, 07:51:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice win, but we beat a bad team. Up next is Radford, not much of a program if you believe their Wiki page. They played well against UNC last night, but we all know you can usually throw out the first game of the season. In the The Big Dance of 2008 UNC beat Radford 101-58.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radford_Highlanders_men%27s_basketball

By the way Radford is a preseason 6th place tie with Campbell in the Big South Conference. Again it is the Big South, not The Big 10.
    https://radfordathletics.com/news/2022/10/24/2022-23-MBB-Preseason-Poll-Release.aspx

After Radford we play Utah State who lost their coach and every scorer from their NCAA tournament team from last year. They will be an unknown quantity and not a good measuring stick.
    Every player who scored a point for Utah State basketball last season is gone
    https://www.deseret.com/2023/5/2/23709039/every-player-who-scored-a-point-for-utah-state-basketball-last-season-is-gone

Akron is next and they are the MAC coaches preseason pick to win the conference. The game is on a neutral court so should be a good gauge of the team.
    https://getsomemaction.com/news/2023/11/1/mens-basketball-mac-announces-2023-24-mens-basketball-preseason-poll-and-teams.aspx

Like another poster said, we need to wait six or seven games to judge the team. At the moment, we don't know much about this team. They need to play a few teams with a pulse before we evaluate them.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:00:22 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf, elginherd, scope58

Offline herd2win

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2023, 08:03:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hoping this team gives us fans a surprise season.  After the let down of football we could use a surprise basketball season to pick us up.  Maybe this team actually plays like a team and not individual ball.

1 win down.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hard to make a lot from one game obviously but I think we all saw some good things and a few bad.

1. They played more inspired on defense than last years team and seem to have played more physical.
    2. I saw people boxing out
    3. They should get better the more they play

The Bad.

1. The classic let a team back in the game in the last 5 minutes of the first half
    2. Did not win the rebounding margin against a smaller team
    3. Can't shoot Ft's
    4. Another year of a thin bench?

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, overherd1

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2023, 08:15:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't know what to expect with so many new faces but I was pleasantly surprised. Five guys scored 14 or more. Voyles and Crawford looked good. Martin was a rebound away from a double double.

Yeah it was Queens but we lost to them last year with Andy, Micah, and Taveion when they only went 18-15. So I'm enjoying what I saw last night and am optimistic for the year.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, ru4mu2, horsrman, chris88, elginherd, goherd24, overherd1

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2023, 08:21:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hoping this team gives us fans a surprise season.  After the let down of football we could use a surprise basketball season to pick us up.  Maybe this team actually plays like a team and not individual ball.

1 win down.

If you watched JMU last night, they play like a team. We play way too sloppy and like we are on blacktop. It's hard for Dannys system to work unless you have very good talent and they are all very team oriented. Every year you see his system revert into street ball. It's hard to say we just let them play and have freedom without going overboard. Like Flatire said, we won't know anything until Akron at the earliest. We need to be tested 3-4 games to see what we have. And if we play a good pressing team we are in trouble. We don't have a true PG that can really handle the ball like a yo yo. If anyone watched Michigan st and JMU both had great ball handling PG.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline chris88

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2023, 08:35:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • - Court and arena looked great on TV
    - 4,443 a pretty good and lively crowd. 2nd in home SB games behind ODU. Smiss attendance pretty close to ours.
    - Thought Ot Elmore did a good job in his debut
    - New guys were better than I expected.  Thicker than most of the guys on roster which should help vs thicker teams
    - Thought we boxed out pretty good early, but their foot speed wore us down over time, just like our length wore them down. Quick teams with some size will likely be an issue...but we expected that.
    - Effort was great IMO
    - Not sure what anyone is complaining about. Good to start out with a win and the game was a fun watch for most part. Time will tell the story of the season but it's ok to enjoy the win and look forward to the ballroom bash.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • - Court and arena looked great on TV
    - 4,443 a pretty good and lively crowd. 2nd in home SB games behind ODU. Smiss attendance pretty close to ours.
    - Thought Ot Elmore did a good job in his debut
    - New guys were better than I expected.  Thicker than most of the guys on roster which should help vs thicker teams
    - Thought we boxed out pretty good early, but their foot speed wore us down over time, just like our length wore them down. Quick teams with some size will likely be an issue...but we expected that.
    - Effort was great IMO
    - Not sure what anyone is complaining about. Good to start out with a win and the game was a fun watch for most part. Time will tell the story of the season but it's ok to enjoy the win and look forward to the ballroom bash.

I agree.  I don't think we've seen enough to have a strong feeling about how the season will progress, but I was happy about how things turned out and saw what was the best team effort I've seen from a DD coached team in a long time.  Much better than what I expected from such a large group of new comers and past bench warmers.  I'm not ready to believe this group will be conference champs or the like, but I'm a lot more optimistic that I was at this time yesterday morning.

As to so many people who are complaining, I think we have a number of board members who just like to bitch and have no ability to just sit back and enjoy themselves when they can.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, Big City, ru4mu2, horsrman, MUsince96, chris88, goherd24

Offline andy31

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice win, but we beat a bad team. Up next is Radford, not much of a program if you believe their Wiki page. They played well against UNC last night, but we all know you can usually throw out the first game of the season. In the The Big Dance of 2008 UNC beat Radford 101-58.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radford_Highlanders_men%27s_basketball

By the way Radford is a preseason 6th place tie with Campbell in the Big South Conference. Again it is the Big South, not The Big 10.
    https://radfordathletics.com/news/2022/10/24/2022-23-MBB-Preseason-Poll-Release.aspx

After Radford we play Utah State who lost their coach and every scorer from their NCAA tournament team from last year. They will be an unknown quantity and not a good measuring stick.
    Every player who scored a point for Utah State basketball last season is gone
    https://www.deseret.com/2023/5/2/23709039/every-player-who-scored-a-point-for-utah-state-basketball-last-season-is-gone

Akron is next and they are the MAC coaches preseason pick to win the conference. The game is on a neutral court so should be a good gauge of the team.
    https://getsomemaction.com/news/2023/11/1/mens-basketball-mac-announces-2023-24-mens-basketball-preseason-poll-and-teams.aspx

Like another poster said, we need to wait six or seven games to judge the team. At the moment, we don't know much about this team. They need to play a few teams with a pulse before we evaluate them.

That is last year's Big South Preseason Poll.  The Big South actually lost Campbell is down to 9 teams, but Radford was picked second this year.

https://bigsouthsports.com/news/2023/10/17/unc-asheville-voted-2023-24-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

They ended up finishing 3rd in the Big South last year and are coached by former WVU player Darris Nichols.  I'll be interested to see how we do in a neutral site game against what should be a little better opponent than last night.

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2023, 10:54:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i remember how pumped i was after our season-opening win against Wright St a couple yrs ago.  man, was that season a disaster.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline Luke80

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2023, 11:08:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know that I would rather be rooting for a team that was 1-0 than a team that was 0-1. Pretty sure I feel better than South Alabama fans.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 11:10:37 AM by Luke80 »

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, chris88, Herdalum83

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2023, 11:08:03 AM »

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #72 on: November 07, 2023, 11:18:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kinda like beating Albany State in football. We played a really weak team from one of the weakest DI conferences.

Did you know Albany football (it's the University of Albany, not Albany State) is in the Top 25 of FCS and will likely crack the Top 20 this week?

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2023, 11:32:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is last year's Big South Preseason Poll.  The Big South actually lost Campbell is down to 9 teams, but Radford was picked second this year.

https://bigsouthsports.com/news/2023/10/17/unc-asheville-voted-2023-24-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

They ended up finishing 3rd in the Big South last year and are coached by former WVU player Darris Nichols.  I'll be interested to see how we do in a neutral site game against what should be a little better opponent than last night.

Sorry, I didn't catch it was last year's standings. Take away JMU and the Big South and the SBC might be about equal? Not sure since I really don't follow low mid majors.

I hope for Dan's sake he doesn't lose to Radford on a neutral court. The board won't be pretty if that happens. 
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 11:35:25 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• As to so many people who are complaining, I think we have a number of board members who just like to bitch and have no ability to just sit back and enjoy themselves when they can.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »