Author Topic: What we know after Queens  (Read 2742 times)

Offline herdfan93

Re: What we know after Queens
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2023, 12:34:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is last year's Big South Preseason Poll.  The Big South actually lost Campbell is down to 9 teams, but Radford was picked second this year.

https://bigsouthsports.com/news/2023/10/17/unc-asheville-voted-2023-24-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

They ended up finishing 3rd in the Big South last year and are coached by former WVU player Darris Nichols.  I'll be interested to see how we do in a neutral site game against what should be a little better opponent than last night.

IMO I think we'll be about a 7 pt fav against the Rads.

Edit: I just saw where 2 of their forwards are out.  One has been declared out for the season and the other won't make their debut until the end of November.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:10:26 PM by herdfan93 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2023, 12:34:38 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2023, 01:04:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did you know Albany football (it's the University of Albany, not Albany State) is in the Top 25 of FCS and will likely crack the Top 20 this week?

And?

What does that have to do with anything?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2023, 01:22:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And?

Looks to me like he was correcting one of the blowhards who said Albany was an awful FCS team. But moving goalposts is nothing new for those Herd Haters.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2023, 01:22:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks to me like he was correcting one of the blowhards who said Albany was an awful FCS team. But moving goalposts is nothing new for those Herd Haters.

They are still FCS.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, goherd24

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2023, 01:29:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks to me like he was correcting one of the blowhards who said Albany was an awful FCS team. But moving goalposts is nothing new for those Herd Haters.

I think it was goherd 24 who you are talking about, not sure? Albany is now in a four way tie for first place of the Colonial Athletic Conference at 5-1 and 7-3 overall. CAA is where JMU played before moving to the SBC and is usually one of the better 1-AA leagues. Albany might have a shot at the playoffs if they continue to win out this season, they turned out to be one of the better 1-AA teams.

This is the comment from goherd24: "Not really, coming from behind to beat a bad FCS team was the first sign we were terrible, but the less objectionable of us, couldn't see it until we were 4-5."
    http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=117046.msg1043652#msg1043652

« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:39:39 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2023, 01:35:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would also like to point out the recruiting mix of our top 8 from last night. Of course, it is one game and we have a long season ahead...but it is a very balanced approach that may just work out.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Exactly half of the contributors are portal transfers and that is supposedly something that DD doesn't do. 

Voyles - Portal transfer - 1 yr to play
    Fricks - brought in as a true freshman.
    Conner - brought in as a true freshman.
    Crawford - Portal transfer with multiple years to play (3?)
    Curfman - Portal transfer with multiple years to play (2?)
    Nutter - true freshman
    OAK - brought in as a true freshman
    Martin - Portal transfer with multiple years to play (2?)

The following users thanked this post: herd247

Offline bighat

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2023, 02:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We won.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, HerdMan84

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2023, 02:54:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We won.

No truer a statement. Last nights game was fun to watch, we won, and there is "hope" for the future.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, wasbarryb, horsrman, wlf

Offline andy31

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry, I didn't catch it was last year's standings. Take away JMU and the Big South and the SBC might be about equal? Not sure since I really don't follow low mid majors.

I hope for Dan's sake he doesn't lose to Radford on a neutral court. The board won't be pretty if that happens.

SBC should be better overall than the Big South.  Winthrop has historically been the best program there, and they have had tournament success.  UNC Asheville has been good, but not Winthrop level.  Beyond those two programs, I think the SBC is better.  A decent Radford team might just be a little better gauge of where we are than Queens right now.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • SBC should be better overall than the Big South.  Winthrop has historically been the best program there, and they have had tournament success.  UNC Asheville has been good, but not Winthrop level.  Beyond those two programs, I think the SBC is better.  A decent Radford team might just be a little better gauge of where we are than Queens right now.

Yikes, if we are judging the basketball program with being competitive with Radford, we are not much of a college basketball program. I guess we  will never have a ranked team? I would be thrilled if we were a high mid major power and appearing in the Big Dance ( winning games like some of the MAC schools have done over the years), but apparently that isn't MU's goal. 

Schools like Ohio U; Miami; Davidson; Kent State; VCU; GMU and others have made deep runs in the Big Dance. It appears that is not a goal of MU basketball? Expectations are low for the program. It is what it is.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2023, 04:18:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I enjoyed watching this team more than any team since the NCAA team.  It was great seeing new faces play.  Id like to McKey get involved 6-8 min a game.  Avg about 4ppg and 2rpg.  Help add to teams output. 

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline bighat

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We won.  We have one win.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2023, 05:19:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yikes, if we are judging the basketball program with being competitive with Radford, we are not much of a college basketball program. I guess we  will never have a ranked team? I would be thrilled if we were a high mid major power and appearing in the Big Dance ( winning games like some of the MAC schools have done over the years), but apparently that isn't MU's goal. 

Schools like Ohio U; Miami; Davidson; Kent State; VCU; GMU and others have made deep runs in the Big Dance. It appears that is not a goal of MU basketball? Expectations are low for the program. It is what it is.

You all purposefully take things out of context. He didn't say our basketball program should be measured against Radford in terms of what a successful program is, only that Thursday's game with Radford should give us a little better gauge of what kind of team we have in comparison to the Queens game.

The following users thanked this post: gtrman4herd, Herdhomer, horsrman, andy31

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2023, 05:44:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You all purposefully take things out of context. He didn't say our basketball program should be measured against Radford in terms of what a successful program is, only that Thursday's game with Radford should give us a little better gauge of what kind of team we have in comparison to the Queens game.

Not really, but when we have make evaluations against teams like Radford we might not be a very good program.  Nothing wrong with that, we are just not a good mid major program.

FYI: Radford use to be the women's branch of VA Tech since VA Tech didn't allow women in school. Radford separated from VT and went coed in 1972.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2023, 06:28:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not really, but when we have make evaluations against teams like Radford we might not be a very good program.  Nothing wrong with that, we are just not a good mid major program.

FYI: Radford use to be the women's branch of VA Tech since VA Tech didn't allow women in school. Radford separated from VT and went coed in 1972.

UNC-G used to be all-girl as well. 1970's. A coed looked at me quite hungrily back in the day when I visited a friend there.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Flat Tire 2

Offline coalherd

« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2023, 07:02:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And?

Well, just for discussion purposes, if Coach Huff's team this season wins two out of their last 3 games, I feel safe in saying that they probably would crack the FCS top 25 poll also!!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2023, 08:58:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it was goherd 24 who you are talking about, not sure? Albany is now in a four way tie for first place of the Colonial Athletic Conference at 5-1 and 7-3 overall. CAA is where JMU played before moving to the SBC and is usually one of the better 1-AA leagues. Albany might have a shot at the playoffs if they continue to win out this season, they turned out to be one of the better 1-AA teams.

This is the comment from goherd24: "Not really, coming from behind to beat a bad FCS team was the first sign we were terrible, but the less objectionable of us, couldn't see it until we were 4-5."
    http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=117046.msg1043652#msg1043652
    .FCS teams are not nearly on the FBS level. They are a "bad" team. They would be 0-12 with our schedule

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline coalherd

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2023, 09:13:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UNC-G used to be all-girl as well. 1970's. A coed looked at me quite hungrily back in the day when I visited a friend there.

Guys, when I was at MU in the early-mid 60s, there was a small school in Harrisonburg, VA, I believe for women only, named Madison College.

We all know who they are today, with an undefeated, top 20 ranked football team STILL in transition from FCS and a basketball team that just OPENED on the road at #4 Michigan State with a WIN!!  (Question:  Does Danny "I coached HS Ball" have one of those type of wins against such teams, "MAJOR", much less a top 5 ranked one, here in his TENTH Season at the MU helm??).

Meanwhile back in the West by God H-town, HERD football and basketball are making about as much headway into being "RELEVANT" in the World of Division One as a two-wheel drive vehicle on a two to three foot deep muddy road covered in an oil slick!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline muherd34

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2023, 08:40:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • .FCS teams are not nearly on the FBS level. They are a "bad" team. They would be 0-12 with our schedule

So you don't think a really good fcs program/team could win any fbs games?  We would lose to the top 5 fcs teams right now.  Coaching matters. 

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, elginherd

Offline andy31

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2023, 08:59:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You all purposefully take things out of context. He didn't say our basketball program should be measured against Radford in terms of what a successful program is, only that Thursday's game with Radford should give us a little better gauge of what kind of team we have in comparison to the Queens game.

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was saying.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2023, 09:07:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you don't think a really good fcs program/team could win any fbs games?  We would lose to the top 5 fcs teams right now.  Coaching matters.

As does talent matter.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2023, 09:52:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As does talent matter.

For sure.  Gotta have both, but one can negate the other.  But it would be nice to have both!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2023, 09:52:45 AM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2023, 10:22:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For sure.  Gotta have both, but one can negate the other.  But it would be nice to have both!
    We have neither, but the offensive talent is a larger issue.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2023, 10:39:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

There are several Eeyores on this board just trying to throw cold water on any form of optimism or hope. Must be a miserable existence!
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: HerdMan84

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you don't think a really good fcs program/team could win any fbs games?  We would lose to the top 5 fcs teams right now.  Coaching matters.
    This 100% accurate.  North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Montana State would all kick out butts.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »