Author Topic: Unpopular opinion: Herd Country Lager is disappointing  (Read 614 times)

Offline coloradoherd

Unpopular opinion: Herd Country Lager is disappointing
« on: November 07, 2023, 05:28:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lighthearted post. Just feeling salty and not much new to say about football, so here goes a pointless complaint. 

I was excited about Herd Country Lager and the partnership with Country Boy Brewing. I like all types of beer, from the heartiest stout to the bitterest IPA, and Im also not above enjoying a cheap domestic light beer.

I feel like Herd Country Lager was trying to be both a flavorful craft beer, and also have mass appeal. Somehow, I feel like it achieved a weird middle ground that is the worst of both worlds. It tastes like a bad craft beer with notes of a cheap light beer that has gone skunky. I have tried several times to like it, and believe me, I would love to. I would love to drink beer all the time that has a herd logo on it, and I would be all over it if I like it. I just dont know what happened. There is some flavor in there that I just do not care for at all.

I really enjoy the Country Boy Cougar Bait blonde ale. I dont know why they didnt make it taste more like that if they wanted something light. Recently had school branded beer at NC State and App State, and both were great. I hope they try out a new recipe.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 06:44:16 PM by coloradoherd »

HerdFans.com

Unpopular opinion: Herd Country Lager is disappointing
    « on: November 07, 2023, 05:28:32 PM »

Online Herdiowa

Re: Unpopular opinion: Herd Country Lager is disappointing
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My buddy brought some fromWV this weekend.  I thought it tasted well.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Big City

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:05:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it's better than the football team right now. Cold. Crisp.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 09:09:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's the tough thing to balance. I think it's good, but I like cheap beer. Miller Light, even Natty. So my endorsement isn't much of an endorsement.

Offline whf

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 12:05:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it is very good, actually.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• All American
    • Former Football Student Manager 2002-2004
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 07:29:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lighthearted post. Just feeling salty and not much new to say about football, so here goes a pointless complaint. 

I was excited about Herd Country Lager and the partnership with Country Boy Brewing. I like all types of beer, from the heartiest stout to the bitterest IPA, and Im also not above enjoying a cheap domestic light beer.

I feel like Herd Country Lager was trying to be both a flavorful craft beer, and also have mass appeal. Somehow, I feel like it achieved a weird middle ground that is the worst of both worlds. It tastes like a bad craft beer with notes of a cheap light beer that has gone skunky. I have tried several times to like it, and believe me, I would love to. I would love to drink beer all the time that has a herd logo on it, and I would be all over it if I like it. I just dont know what happened. There is some flavor in there that I just do not care for at all.

I really enjoy the Country Boy Cougar Bait blonde ale. I dont know why they didnt make it taste more like that if they wanted something light. Recently had school branded beer at NC State and App State, and both were great. I hope they try out a new recipe.

For NC State, did you try the Old Tuffy  or the new Riveria?  I actually prefer  the Old Tuffy  vs the new one released this year.
    Knightdale NC

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 07:47:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've had it several times and I like it. After a couple, I'm ready for something else, though.

Would have been nice to see one of the bigger in-state microbreweries do it instead of Country Boy. Perhaps Big Timber or Greenbrier Valley Brewing Company (now that they're back in business).

Offline Marshall2004

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 09:42:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like it as a "pizza and wings" beer or what some people call a "lawn mower beer."  But then again I liked it before it was branded Herd Country.  This is Country Boy's "Super Premium Lager" repackaged as a team beer.  From their line, I thought the Super Premium Lager was a smart choice to repackage.  Cougar Bait has too big a following as is.  Their other beers aren't wide enough appeal.  I enjoy it, and most rating websites have always had SPL at about 3.5 out of 5.  About right. 

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

Online bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 02:57:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like it as a "pizza and wings" beer or what some people call a "lawn mower beer."

AKA "A Summer Pounder."

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 03:13:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its an alright beer, not one Id want to drink a lot of.  Im not a fan of the popular brands like Miller, Bud, Michelob etc; but I do like a good ice cold PBR!!!
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

Offline puma

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 03:18:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • AKA "A Summer Pounder."

I believe that's what fancy people call a "session beer".

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 03:36:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The beer is good.  To be honest thought the beer isn?t a special craft beer that Country Boy developed for us. It is one of their current beers rebranded for us and sold in the area.  In Lexington I can?t get it as Herd Country Lager.  I can?t remember which product it is but I have talked with the guys from Country Boy. They are great people and enjoy our partnership?.at least back in August when I talked with them.  Cougar Bait is a great beer too.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 03:36:23 PM »