Author Topic: Spears announced?  (Read 2517 times)

Online luvherd

Spears announced?
« on: November 25, 2023, 08:17:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff will be back.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

HerdFans.com

Spears announced?
    « on: November 25, 2023, 08:17:59 PM »

Offline marshallz13

Re: Spears announced?
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 08:23:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline thelonderee

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 08:24:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From Herdzone ... sounds like he will be retooling his staff whether he wants to or not.
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 08:25:42 PM by thelonderee »

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 08:28:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, he's coming back but it sounds like major changes are coming. It looked to me that Huff may have been calling the offensive plays today at times. Noticed he had a "play card" he was referencing multiple times on the sidelines when the offense was out there.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 08:36:34 PM by MarshallSteve »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 08:38:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IIRC, Huff was holding a play sheet during the USA game, too.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 08:39:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, there is always a chance he gets hired away instead.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline mu1995

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 08:40:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO that statement sealed the deal that we have a lame duck coach in the view any coaches we might hire.  Doubt anyone worthwhile will give Marshall a look.
    I don't like to lose, and that isn't so much because it is just a football game, but because defeat means the failure to reach your objective. I don't want a football player who doesn't take defeat to heart, who laughs it off with the thought, 'Oh, well, there's another Saturday.' The trouble in American life today, in business as well as in sports, is that too many people are afraid of competition. The result is that in some circles people have come to sneer at success if it costs hard work and training and sacrifice.- Knute Rockne

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, VA Herd Fan

Online s1uggo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 08:42:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IIRC, Huff was holding a play sheet during the USA game, too.
    He was but let?s face it Clint Trickett has more experience calling plays than Charles Huff

Offline goherd24

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 08:42:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His getting his last year came down to this game
     But at least no extension. This is good news. And notice - no spin either. We all know this season was a failure.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, ThunderCat98

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 08:44:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • admin can force him to make all the staff changes they want, the guy's in love with Fancher at QB & he has 2 more years of eligibility.  he either can't or has no desire to out-recruit Fancher, & that's all i need to know about the future of the program under him.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 08:45:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I think it's a good move to let Huff fulfill his contract. Huff knows what he has and has by and large done a good job working the portal. Surround him with some good assistants and give him a chance to leave us for a better salary.

While I was not happy with this season, particularly the USA and App State games, 4 of the Herd's 6 wins were against Bowl-eligible teams. UAlbany is Albany Football Team is the No. 5 overall seed in the 2023 Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Playoffs. Only ECU failed to be bowl eligible.

Our six losses were all to bowl eligible teams and two teams ranked in the Top 25.  We played NC State tough. I think without the critical roughing the kicker call, we would have beat Georgia State as well.

Online MUsince96

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 08:45:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His getting his last year came down to this game
     But at least no extension. This is good news. And notice - no spin either. We all know this season was a failure.

I don't understand how you can make such a decision based on one game.

Kinda kills my fandom a little more. We just aren't serious about winning.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, MUfan08, ed swain, miltonherdfan, SuperAnjario

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 08:45:21 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 08:45:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well that settles the fix football or fix basketball dilemma.  We either fix basketball or we fix nothing.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2023, 08:47:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't understand how you can make such a decision based on one game.

Kinda kills my fandom a little more. We just aren't serious about winning.
    It was originally based on a title expectation, so not really one game. I was hoping they'd buy him out but no extension after a "bowl season" is ok. I just hate we'll see another year of mediocrity before a change.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan

Offline goherd24

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2023, 08:49:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well that settles the fix football or fix basketball dilemma.  We either fix basketball or we fix nothing.
    I really think if we fall flat on our face like we are looking now, Dan will walk away and do what's right for Marshall. We'll see though. I wish we were plush with cash like A&M but that'll never be the case.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUther

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: November 25, 2023, 08:51:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good luck selling tickets with this arse clown coming back

F me

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, ed swain, Lord Haw-Haw

Online MUsince96

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2023, 08:53:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was originally based on a title expectation, so not really one game. I was hoping they'd buy him out but no extension after a "bowl season" is ok. I just hate we'll see another year of mediocrity before a change.

So it went from he had to win a title to he only had to beat Ark State to come back?

If so, what changed?

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2023, 08:59:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So it went from he had to win a title to he only had to beat Ark State to come back?

If so, what changed?

Personally I don't believe anything changed.  The season started out with we don't have the money to buy him out and is ending with we don't have the money to buy him out.

Read the statement again and pay attention. The we keep our commitments line is AD speak for "my pockets are empty."

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline ed swain

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 09:01:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears has said to hell with the fans!It will be worse next year .It might be so bad Spears has to leave also.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2023, 09:02:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Holes everywhere to fill.  Needs to spend the NIL $ on the offense

Offline MUther

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 09:02:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really think if we fall flat on our face like we are looking now, Dan will walk away and do what's right for Marshall. We'll see though. I wish we were plush with cash like A&M but that'll never be the case.

It's a nice sentiment but he ain't leaving without it getting ugly.  He's not aware he's been in decline for years and got a bump in wins from moving to an inferior league that was basically dominated by all 3 CUSA teams that moved to the SBC and a crappy OOC schedule.  I mean it was USM, Marshall, ODU, and Louisiana at the top.  That tells you that CUSA was much better when all 3 teams were at or near the top of the new league.  We weren't miraculously better, we were playing worse teams. Like Doc moving from CUSA 2.0 to 3.0.  Wins picked up when competition went down.  And our best season, 2014, we had no p5 on the schedule and lost to the only team worth a damn on our schedule.  It's like that.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 09:02:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it seems like we have a motivation or effort issue somewhere in the program.  it is totally illogical to beat ND & VT, & give NC St a heckuva game on the road -- & then play pretty much lifeless against everybody else.  we got up for today's game for whatever reason, maybe senior day or maybe bowl eligibility being on the line.  i won't be surprised if we see decent effort in the bowl game b/c it's "cool" to win a bowl game. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, thelonderee, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 09:02:10 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2023, 09:03:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So it went from he had to win a title to he only had to beat Ark State to come back?

If so, what changed?

I have my thoughts. But that I'm not sure. I noticed a change around the QB change time a little and then worroed we'd end up lame duck. Which is honestly worse thwn firing or extending imo. Makes it impossible to recruit, and you're also sending s message that you're fired if there wasn't a buyout

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2023, 09:05:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m fine with this to be honest. Not happy, but fine with this. I would be pissed if we offered him an extension.

Maybe we see a new Huff with his job and career on the line. Let?s see what he can do in the portal this year and go from there.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2023, 09:08:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So each of us make a decision?be miserable coach haters and complainers or Marshall Fans. The decision was made. Support Marshall?empty stadiums and arenas fix nothing!!

The following users thanked this post: whf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2023, 09:08:28 PM »