Author Topic: Spears announced?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline elginherd

Re: Spears announced?
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2023, 10:50:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The DC is back?

Lmao

Ffs

For the most part the D, has been good this season; not as good as last years, which was one of the best in Herd history.
    A lot of the defensive problems were because of the anemic offense.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, The E-Man, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2023, 10:50:06 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2023, 10:54:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am told the changes happened tonight, which is why Spears made the announcement.  Legg, Trickett, Morrison and the WR coach are no longer affiliated with the program.

As in, they won?t coach the bowl game? Or it will be official after the season?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline D1

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As in, they won?t coach the bowl game? Or it will be official after the season?
    I understand they are gone as of tonight.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2023, 11:00:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In his tweet, Spears mentions changes that have been made.
    Is anyone aware of any changes that Huff made in the past week or so?

Spears didn't mince words regarding the results of the season...credit him for that.
    But Spears' post was released seemingly within a millisecond afer the game, meaning that Spears probably had a come to Jesus meeting with Huff prior to this game.

The bit in the tweet regarding "honoring commitments" can be translated into "we can't afford the upfront cash to buy Huff out".

Honestly, this situation is bad. All three seasons there have been deep midseason swoons.

We have a lot of holes to fill

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

Online Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2023, 11:01:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How is the Herd going to fare in a prospective bowl game with 3-4 lame duck or departed coaches in the fold?

The following users thanked this post: usedcars1

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2023, 11:02:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder why Morrison was forced out? Were our linebackers that bad?

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #56 on: November 25, 2023, 11:11:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For the most part the D, has been good this season; not as good as last years, which was one of the best in Herd history.
    A lot of the defensive problems were because of the anemic offense.

You're joking right?

We had plenty to be a great D again but our new DC blows donkey

Offline elginherd

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2023, 11:22:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're joking right?

We had plenty to be a great D again but our new DC blows donkey

No I'm not joking.
    All the TO's, penalties, TFL's and 3 & outs by the offense leaves the D out on a very weak limb.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2023, 11:31:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No I'm not joking.
    All the TO's, penalties, TFL's and 3 & outs by the offense leaves the D out on a very weak limb.

I agree. I didn?t think the D was THAT bad.

This year was more of a bend but don?t break kind of defense. Our defense was good enough to win our conference with a good offense.

The following users thanked this post: ironcheftvdinner

Offline muherd34

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2023, 11:39:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In his tweet, Spears mentions changes that have been made.
    Is anyone aware of any changes that Huff made in the past week or so?

Spears didn't mince words regarding the results of the season...credit him for that.
    But Spears' post was released seemingly within a millisecond afer the game, meaning that Spears probably had a come to Jesus meeting with Huff prior to this game.

The bit in the tweet regarding "honoring commitments" can be translated into "we can't afford the upfront cash to buy Huff out".

Honestly, this situation is bad. All three seasons there have been deep midseason swoons.

Totally disagree about the money part.  Once again...we are not as poor as everyone says on here.  There is plenty of information out there about athletic donations and athletic budgets to support his buyout would be miniscule to us.

Honestly makes sense to keep Huff 1 more year for a multitude of reasons.  Btw, I don't think Huff can get the job done, but I do understand what the administration is doing buy honoring his last year if the contract.  I do also believe that could have been a much different tweet if the game would have went the other direction.

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2023, 12:24:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am told the changes happened tonight, which is why Spears made the announcement.  Legg, Trickett, Morrison and the WR coach are no longer affiliated with the program.

And they keep Galante? Other than Harrison's returns, I felt special teams was a real weakness this season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline banker

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2023, 12:48:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the d improved during the season. It certainly fixed giving up multiple long TDs per game. We had a lot of new faces and I think they learned their roles better. Dix Jr showed well the last few games along with some of the other younger guys.

When you score only 5 offensive TDs over 6 games your D is going to look worse.

The following users thanked this post: whf, elginherd, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2023, 12:48:12 AM »

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2023, 01:13:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a terrible decision. We are basically admitting that we are throwing in the towel next season as well, because there is no way that we will hire coordinators worth a salt knowing they will be losing their jobs at the end of the season along with Huff.

Sometimes I feel like Marshall can't get out of their own way with the way they do things. This has to come down to us not being able to buyout Huffs last year, so we are letting him come back to finish it out.

Best case scenario is if we win bowl game and some low level P5 school takes a chance on Huff.

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96, herdorbust2

Online Johns1124

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2023, 07:43:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting timing.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2023, 08:10:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a terrible decision. We are basically admitting that we are throwing in the towel next season as well, because there is no way that we will hire coordinators worth a salt knowing they will be losing their jobs at the end of the season along with Huff.

Sometimes I feel like Marshall can't get out of their own way with the way they do things. This has to come down to us not being able to buyout Huffs last year, so we are letting him come back to finish it out.

Best case scenario is if we win bowl game and some low level P5 school takes a chance on Huff.

I agree. This makes no sense at all. How is he going to find coaches with no contract? How will he recruit? Unless he has accepted an extension with no buyout?

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2023, 08:13:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff has 50 people on his staff - promote within - look for Herd lover coaches

Online herd2win

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2023, 08:20:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only speculation, but the fact Spears put out the tweet when he did tells me Huff was gone if he didn't win yesterday.  The buyout is small and manageable.  Also, the fact no extension has been given tells me that Huff better get it done or he is gone next year.

Also, you can offer 2 year contracts to any new assistants and Huff should be able to hire some new coaches.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not surprised MU didn't fire Huff. Just look at MU's recent history, Dan went 4-14 in the conference and 12-21 overall and I am sure we played some bad OOC teams to pad the overall record. If Huff had tanked this season like Dan did, I think MU would have fired him.  Huff did not perform well this year, but his other two seasons were OK, plus he beat Notre Dame. Money could have been found for a buyout, but he only has one season left. Let's hope he turns it around next year and he might get hired away.

Online Johns1124

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2023, 08:36:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only speculation, but the fact Spears put out the tweet when he did tells me Huff was gone if he didn't win yesterday.  The buyout is small and manageable.  Also, the fact no extension has been given tells me that Huff better get it done or he is gone next year.

Also, you can offer 2 year contracts to any new assistants and Huff should be able to hire some new coaches.

Exactly, when is the last time Hamrick put out a tweet with this?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2023, 08:38:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Why would you give an assistant 2 years of Huff may be gone in one? A new coach will want his own people.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2023, 08:45:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Your guess might be correct. One thing that sort of supports your premise is that I didn't see all the Huff-Histronics after a big play.

OTOH, the decision to keep Coach No Gas was made midweek but that Huff was gonna have to weed out his staff and the wording of the tweet worked out, also. The only thing that would need changing would be the first sentence.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • if you want to see the glass half full

If there is good news- between DI and DII there are over 400 teams.  Multiply that by number of coaches that could potentially be available, including HCs that came up through the offensive tree. 
    technically, theres really no excuse not being able to get good coordinators and certainly no excuses not being able to get position coaches

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2023, 09:00:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I agree. This makes no sense at all. How is he going to find coaches with no contract? How will he recruit? Unless he has accepted an extension with no buyout?
    Maybe behind the scenes Huff agreed to an extension around the time of the Michigan State rumors? Maybe it was never officially announced? Very possible I think

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline puma

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2023, 09:09:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe behind the scenes Huff agreed to an extension around the time of the Michigan State rumors? Maybe it was never officially announced? Very possible I think

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The whole situation reeks of a backroom deal that hasn't been announced yet.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Online mu79grad

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With Duke's Mike Elko going to Texas A&M, could Coach Huff interview again for the Duke job?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »