Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1238 times)

Offline MUsince96

Some questions
« on: November 26, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How are you going to recruit kids in a lame duck season?

What coaches will actually come in to make these positive changes for one lame duck season?

Why did we just give a guy a 4th season to right the ship when he said the ship didn't need righted when he took the job? I have a hard time believing we couldn't come up with $755k for a buyout.

I was hoping for more than a few cosmetic staff changes after a disaster in year 3 but it appears Marshall is going to continue the time honored tradition of keeping a head coach longer than they should.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 09:58:36 AM by MUsince96 »

The following users thanked this post: SuperAnjario, elginherd, GreenDaddy

HerdFans.com

Some questions
    « on: November 26, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »

Offline herdfan129

Re: Some questions
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 09:49:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff has done enough to earn this imo. We do have some big wins with him.

These are some pretty significant changes. Let?s see what happens this off season, especially who he hires as OC.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman, elginherd, MicDrass1, BigJimslade

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:54:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

These are some pretty significant changes. Let?s see what happens this off season, especially who he hires as OC.

But how can he recruit or get quality coaches to come here with no contract? Maybe he signed an extension and agreed to no buyout? That way he gets a chance to right the ship and show he got a contract but Marshall will be free to fire him if he doesnt?

Online 2xBison

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But how can he recruit or get quality coaches to come here with no contract? Maybe he signed an extension and agreed to no buyout? That way he gets a chance to right the ship and show he got a contract but Marshall will be free to fire him if he doesnt?
    The buy out can help us too if he turns it around. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online elginherd

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 10:05:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Inspite of what 34 (IIRC) asserted in another thread, $755K is most likely a significant issue.

I do understand the 'earn the 4th year' argument and also the argument that it potentially can make hiring the next coach more difficult if Marshall doesn't honor Coach All Gas's contract.

However, it really doesn't matter if All Gas earned the next season. It matters what the continuing damage to the Herd will be if the 4th season isn't much better that the 2nd season.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 10:11:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The buy out can help us too if he turns it around. 

I don't see him turning it around. He has the biggest challenge yet by far next year. Losing a lot with new coaches will be a huge uphill battle.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 10:32:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I don't see him turning it around. He has the biggest challenge yet by far next year. Losing a lot with new coaches will be a huge uphill battle.

Pretty much the entire offense needs replaced.

Offline whf

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 10:39:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think this was Huff's best win ever. I congratulate him on a leadership "win" with two wins in the last thee games, and a whale of a win yesterday.  He never lost this team, maybe us, but not the players.  And thanks goodness they count and we don't.

Say what you'd like, but Huff has a chance of winning 7 games this year, put a team back on the field with six or seven starters on each side of the field returning, guys waiting in the wings who played this year when they really shouldn't have been needed to; plus several returning players who've been out with injury for a long while.

I see Logan Osburn returning, he's only a RS Junior and I doubt they'll be a lot of pro interest in him "yet".  We have great skill players in the backfield, and like it or not, Fancher will be one of the best QBs in the league. 

He earned a great deal of respect (although I'm sure he doesn't care) from me in the last three weeks.  We folded, or many of us did. He didn't, he just kept coming to work and doing all he could to get the win yesterday, keep the kids up and working hard, learning life's lessons, and adding another great memory to good days at the Joan.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 03:21:32 PM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: overherd1

Online elginherd

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 10:52:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think this was Huff's best win ever. I congratulate him on a leadership "win" with two wins in the last two game, and a whale of a win yesterday.  He never lost this team, maybe us, but not the players.  And thanks goodness they count and we don't.

Say what you'd like, but Huff has a chance of winning 7 games this year, put a team back on the field with six or seven starters on each side of the field returning, guys waiting in the wings who played this year when they really shouldn't have been needed to; plus several returning players who've been out with injury for a long while.

I see Logan Osburn returning, he's only a RS Junior and I doubt they'll be a lot of pro interest in him "yet".  We have great skill players in the backfield, and like it or not, Fancher will be one of the best QBs in the league. 

He earned a great deal of respect (although I'm sure he doesn't care) from me in the last three weeks.  We folded, or many of us did. He didn't, he just kept coming to work and doing all he could to get the win yesterday, keep the kids up and working hard, learning life's lessons, and adding another great memory to good days at the Joan.

Did you mean 2 out of the last 3?
    USA was a shutout loss.

And remember, yesterday's offensive first half performance was against one of the worst defenses in the conference who had two starting DBs suspended for the first half.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But how can he recruit or get quality coaches to come here with no contract? Maybe he signed an extension and agreed to no buyout? That way he gets a chance to right the ship and show he got a contract but Marshall will be free to fire him if he doesnt?

The beauty of the portal. Huff a lame-duck coach can go to the portal and get players who aren't worried about a long-term commitment because they are just hired guns looking to get on the field for a final opportunity to prove their worth to the next level. That's how Huff can be successful in the upcoming season. He must use the portal heavily and bring in STUDS with chips on their shoulders who know they will be one and done at Marshall but are just looking for the chance to save their "careers" the same way Huff will be looking to save his.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUther

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The beauty of the portal. Huff a lame-duck coach can go to the portal and get players who aren't worried about a long-term commitment because they are just hired guns looking to get on the field for a final opportunity to prove their worth to the next level. That's how Huff can be successful in the upcoming season. He must use the portal heavily and bring in STUDS with chips on their shoulders who know they will be one and done at Marshall but are just looking for the chance to save their "careers" the same way Huff will be looking to save his.

Well he had that opportunity last couple years also. So how will he hire better coaches?

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 11:12:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Huff is the OC next season

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 11:12:54 AM »

Offline Grazing Marco

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Huff is the OC next season
    I also think this may happen if it is true he was calling plays recently and it is his playbook that we have been using.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 11:16:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Well he had that opportunity last couple years also. So how will he hire better coaches?

Of course, he did. But, now his back is against the wall. More motivation to hit the portal even harder. And there are always coaches who will be looking for a shot to prove themselves.

It won't be easy, but it's not impossible and it's up to Huff to figure it out. His career as an HC depends on it.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 11:21:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Huff is OC ... we avg 40 ... but go 4-8.   D is the problem. Huff actually bettered his resume bc of being HC/OC rather than only HC.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2023, 11:31:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well I just don't see this working out well. If a coach can't get it done with a contract then it's going to be much harder with handcuffs on. Plus we lose Ali, Porter, Neal most offensive line and others. IMO we are just wasting another year baring a miracle.

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 11:48:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Time for him to call St Nick and tell him to send all the names of guys he'll be clearing from the roster this year to make room for the new guys.  They aren't maybe good enough for Alabama's highest standards but they'd be more than good enough for us.  And you know, after this season, Alabama will be dumping players.  Wouldn't hurt to ask him who he'd choose next as an OC, either.  Not like he can't take him for himself at Alabama if he likes what the guys is doing here so there's no conflict of interest.

Offline whf

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 03:21:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did you mean 2 out of the last 3?
    USA was a shutout loss.

And remember, yesterday's offensive first half performance was against one of the worst defenses in the conference who had two starting DBs suspended for the first half.
    Yes, thanks, I'll change that..

Offline D1

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2023, 03:40:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How are you going to recruit kids in a lame duck season?

What coaches will actually come in to make these positive changes for one lame duck season?

Why did we just give a guy a 4th season to right the ship when he said the ship didn't need righted when he took the job? I have a hard time believing we couldn't come up with $755k for a buyout.

I was hoping for more than a few cosmetic staff changes after a disaster in year 3 but it appears Marshall is going to continue the time honored tradition of keeping a head coach longer than they should.
    My guess is the way you try to save a job with 1 year left on your contract is to get immediate help.  This upcoming signing period will be filled with more portal players with 1 year of eligibility left than recent high school graduates.  That could be great or could be a bust, but either way, it's not building a program, it's a plan to survive one year, or the 1 and done players college basketball made famous.  The recruiting class split this past year was pretty even between high school seniors and portal players and we struggled to get to.500.  Recruiting out of the portal is like buying a used car.  Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get somebody else's problems.  Time will tell how it works for us in 2024.

My guess to your question about what coach wants to come in 1 year and try to have an impact?  I suggest hiring an end of career OC, possibly former HC who still has some gas in his tank and a ton of experience.  The position coaches, I'd fill with young, hungry talented coaches looking to make their bones in Division 1 football.

As far as the buyout, sure MU can pay it, but my gut says the powers that be have some hope that Huff can actually put a better quality product on the field than we got this year. 

It's been my experience that all great head football coaches have a great supporting staff around them. Huff hasn't had a great staff surrounding him, but he is actually taking steps to correct that.  Again, time will tell if it works.  I wish the Football program well.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2023, 04:00:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My guess is the way you try to save a job with 1 year left on your contract is to get immediate help.  This upcoming signing period will be filled with more portal players with 1 year of eligibility left than recent high school graduates.  That could be great or could be a bust, but either way, it's not building a program, it's a plan to survive one year, or the 1 and done players college basketball made famous.  The recruiting class split this past year was pretty even between high school seniors and portal players and we struggled to get to.500.  Recruiting out of the portal is like buying a used car.  Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get somebody else's problems.  Time will tell how it works for us in 2024.

My guess to your question about what coach wants to come in 1 year and try to have an impact?  I suggest hiring an end of career OC, possibly former HC who still has some gas in his tank and a ton of experience.  The position coaches, I'd fill with young, hungry talented coaches looking to make their bones in Division 1 football.

As far as the buyout, sure MU can pay it, but my gut says the powers that be have some hope that Huff can actually put a better quality product on the field than we got this year. 

It's been my experience that all great head football coaches have a great supporting staff around them. Huff hasn't had a great staff surrounding him, but he is actually taking steps to correct that.  Again, time will tell if it works.  I wish the Football program well.

Good post.
    I, too, hope it works out for next season. I don't really think that it will, but there's a chance I might be wrong.

Offline whf

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2023, 04:35:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good post.
    I, too, hope it works out for next season. I don't really think that it will, but there's a chance I might be wrong.
    For some reason, I continue today to thing these changes had nothing to do with wins and losses, and more to do with direct support of the head coach and his organization.  I have ZERO facts, but the confusing issue is Shannon Morrison, while there have been some breakdowns with the LBs, it wasn't "firing" kind of stuff performance wise IMHO.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2023, 04:42:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For some reason, I continue today to thing these changes had nothing to do with wins and losses, and more to do with direct support of the head coach and his organization.  I have ZERO facts, but the confusing issue is Shannon Morrison, while there have been some breakdowns with the LBs, it wasn't "firing" kind of stuff performance wise IMHO.

I though Neal was a better LB his FR year and Beauplan his 1st year.  Idk who the lb Coach was but I thought the lb coach before Morrison was good.

The following users thanked this post: whf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2023, 04:42:19 PM »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2023, 06:49:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I don't see him turning it around. He has the biggest challenge yet by far next year. Losing a lot with new coaches will be a huge uphill battle.
    I agree. Big challenge.  I'm done prognosticating.   I just observe and opine

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #23 on: November 26, 2023, 07:24:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Well, I don't know if it can work out this way, but I always consider the OC the next in line to be the head coach.  95% of coordinators desperately want to be head coaches.

So that's the sell.  Hire an OC under the premise that they will be involved as a candidate for Head Coach if Huff is hired away or fired. 

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2023, 07:35:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, I don't know if it can work out this way, but I always consider the OC the next in line to be the head coach.  95% of coordinators desperately want to be head coaches.

So that's the sell.  Hire an OC under the premise that they will be involved as a candidate for Head Coach if Huff is hired away or fired.
    [/b]

I see no way Huff is hired away.  I'm almost as confident his contract won't be renewed.

Next year will probably be his worse year here.  He's like the Readers Digest condensed version of Doc.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2023, 07:35:30 PM »