Author Topic: Frank Ellwood  (Read 762 times)

Offline The Right Stuff

Frank Ellwood
« on: November 26, 2023, 09:49:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The old guys can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if my moldy brain can remember back that far I always heard the if Ellwood would have fired his assistants he would have been given another year.  So I am going to start a conspiracy theory with this latest going ons.

TRSMU 71

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

HerdFans.com

Frank Ellwood
    « on: November 26, 2023, 09:49:19 AM »

Offline MUonium

Re: Frank Ellwood
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 09:53:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • all i can remember is that i liked Elwood Blues

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Big City, parshall2marshall

Offline Herd72

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 10:33:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have always heard that too. I am one of the old guys ? started watching games in Fairfield from my grandmother?s attic window on Columbia Avenue about 1955-1956!
    Heck I even remember weenie Bestwick being Marshall?s head coach for 1 day, then changing his mind and leaving.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, Big City, Herd2believe, MicDrass1

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 05:21:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The old guys can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if my moldy brain can remember back that far I always heard the if Ellwood would have fired his assistants he would have been given another year.  So I am going to start a conspiracy theory with this latest going ons.

TRSMU 71

Absolutely not true. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 06:01:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

TRSMU 71

I think it might have been Lengyel. I seem to remember he was told he needed to make some staff changes, but he decided to resign. I think he was just emotionally tired at that point and decided to leave instead of shaking up his staff and making changes.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 06:17:24 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 06:23:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have always heard that too. I am one of the old guys ? started watching games in Fairfield from my grandmother?s attic window on Columbia Avenue about 1955-1956!
    Heck I even remember weenie Bestwick being Marshall?s head coach for 1 day, then changing his mind and leaving.

Lots of that going on back in the 60s, 72.  I was in a hallway in Gullickson Hall one day when a couple of guys came out of a door and headed my way.  One, IIRC, was Charlie Kautz, a former assistant under Charlie Snyder, a former head coach when the likes of Bob Pruett played, and then later a member of the Athletic Administration.  The other was a rather large dude in a suit who apparently had just accepted, perhaps verbally, the HERD head football coaching job.

Next day, I read the Herald-Dispatch which had an article about this guy, and his picture, which I recognized.  Name was George "Burnie" Miller, an assistant coach, I think defensive, at Purdue.  Well, after leaving Gullickson Hall, he had gone back to Lafayette Indiana and later notified MU officials he was declining the MU job.  I always wondered if after leaving Gullickson he drove over to Ernie's "Ye Olde Fairfield", observed what a decrepit DUMP it was, and got the Hell out of Dodge (i.e., Huntington) ASAP!!!!!

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 12:43:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Weird.  I've been thinking about Elwood lately but in a different context.  After Danny said it wasn't about Ws, but getting the kids experiences in the world with different cultures, I started thinking about Elwood talking about taking his players to Ft Sumpter when they played Citadel.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 09:42:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it might have been Lengyel. I seem to remember he was told he needed to make some staff changes, but he decided to resign. I think he was just emotionally tired at that point and decided to leave instead of shaking up his staff and making changes.

That's not true either.  The then-President tried to encourage Jack L. to return but as you noted, he was emotionally drained and thought someone else needed to give it a try. 

I had a really nice discussion with Jack at the Military Bowl game when MU played Maryland. He is still sharp as a proverbial tack, and was very gracious toward MU and the then-administration. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 10:29:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After Danny said it wasn't about Ws, but getting the kids experiences in the world with different cultures...

well, this explains a lot

sounds like someone who spent way too much time in LA & NYC

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • all i can remember is that i liked Elwood Blues
    Plus one.......Legend

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HerdFans.com