Author Topic: Are you OK with keeping Huff?  (Read 1368 times)

Online Thundering In MD

Are you OK with keeping Huff?
« on: November 27, 2023, 12:48:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interested to see the percentages on this one.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

Are you OK with keeping Huff?
    « on: November 27, 2023, 12:48:24 AM »

Offline herdfan129

Re: Are you OK with keeping Huff?
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 12:57:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m ok with keeping him the way we did.

No extension.

Demanded serious changes with the staff.

The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, HerdsHerd

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 01:01:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We'll know at the end of next season if it was the right move or not.  I think if we bring in a new head coach he's starting with nothing and he won't win but 3 games. If Huff can win 6-7 and have something to build on it was the right move.

Offline MUther

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 02:01:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does it matter?  We're keeping him.  How we feel about it isn't relevant.  I'm impressed that we can lose so many games in a row and the team is still with him.  I also feel he is the actual cause of some of the more bonehead happenings on the field.  He has one more chance to bloom and he'd best use it well. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd, biggreenarms, ru4mu2, vanhorn78

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 03:20:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes

Online herd2win

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 05:44:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am OK with how it played out.  He is being told to make changes and has to show improvements next year or it will be his last.  The fact he was not given an extension speaks volumes.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline luvherd

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 06:24:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have my concerns but maybe Huff learned he can?t be a CEO type coach and needs to be more like a lead foreman.  Hope he hires some good assistants.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Online MUsince96

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 06:38:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not really. We had a championship game appearance the year before he came and he comes in talking about closing the gap. Closing the gap from a championship game appearance means winning a championship.

If he couldn't do that in 3 years he doesn't deserve a 4th.

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 07:33:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am great with keeping Huff. It is the best chance we have to avoid a complete rebuild.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 07:56:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After some self reflection and thought I am ok with him getting his last year.  It puts the pressure on him and hopefully changes our offense to be more like what we saw Saturday.  Minus the second half, gotta learn to put your foot on teams throats.  Cignetti at JMU absolutely punished Coastal, that's the type of mentality Huff needs to learn.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, ed swain

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 07:58:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, I wanted him gone. If he could be a good coach, he would've been a good coach by now. Everything has gotten worse with our program.

We should've pulled off the band-aide and started over. An actual good coach could fix this problem rather quickly with the transfer portal.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1, MUinDE, Buffalo Bop, ed swain, miltonherdfan, vanhorn78

Online mu79grad

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 08:00:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not happy with it.  Now, I can sulk, withhold my money and wait for another coach, or I can support the current coach and program.  I have decided that I will go forward supporting my Alma Mater and the only university that will ever truly matter to me!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, muherd34

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 08:00:06 AM »

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 08:55:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hell??we?ve kept DD 5 years too many.    No reason to run Huff out of town.   

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2, HerdsHerd

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 08:57:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not happy He should have also dumped the DC.  That would have been a little easier for me to stomach.

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93

Offline whf

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 08:57:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Probably an outlier view here, but I am very much OK with it due to his ability to get two wins in the last three games, one from a totally inexperienced QB, and the other from another QB who actually either took, or was forced, time to heal totally.  The loss at USA was a challenge, but it probably gave us the changes that are forthcoming; a "last straw" kind of thing.  He led this group through something we've not seen in Huntington for a long time (thankfully).  He kept this team emotionally and never did we hear a single issue, from underground feeds or public media. 

One thing that I know makes me think less of bad situations in our athletics is the fact that we know nothing these days; the media coverage pretty much sucks, the legal issue with HIPPA (and the impact of injuries on the opinion of future stakeholders for the players) make it almost impossible to truly understand the conditions that develop in the program, and how they are being handled.

I thought several times that I'd go back and compare our starting Defense with the lineup for the last seven games.  I never did it because it was so evident from game to game that inexperience was a key issue.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 09:31:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am OK with how it played out.  He is being told to make changes and has to show improvements next year or it will be his last.  The fact he was not given an extension speaks volumes.
    I'm not always in the loop. Is there a report of this happening?

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2023, 09:40:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm OK with keeping Huff for the last year of his contract as long as there isn't an extension.

Online herd1990

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No.  We all know Legg and Trickett sucked.  But that was on Fluff.  He hired them.  Everything starts and stops at the top for me.  Marshall is too cheap to buy him out so Spears pretends to effect change by having Fluff can a couple of dead beats and appease those with burning pitch forks.  Year 3 is the worst product Fluff put on the field.  Are we really convinced he will compete for a SBC title next season?  Not a chance but it's cheaper to keep him.  Sad.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline coloradoherd

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2023, 09:44:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really dont know. There is a certain logic to the idea of telling him, ?You can have one more year if you make big changes.? But practically, I have a hard time seeing how we will be able to improve next year, or how one more year will give us any further insight about whether Huff is the answer or not. Is it realistic to thing that he will be able to turn it around in one year? Can one year substantially change what Huff can show us? Has a team ever gone from 6 wins to the top of their conference with a first year OC who is installing a new system? And if they wont be installing a new system, then how can we expect different results?
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 11:14:36 AM by coloradoherd »

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2023, 09:49:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you mean "okay with keeping huff" IM EXSTATIC about Charles Huff leading the herd in 2024. A few changes to the staff that I personally think he will nail. a 10 win season awaits.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #20 on: November 27, 2023, 09:53:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm disgusted that Fluff isn't gonzo

Rearranging chairs on the titanic

Doesn't matter when the captain is incompetent

This was a bad call by Spears and Smith

We should have given Fluff what he's so desperate for........a ticket out of town

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, Lord Haw-Haw

Online forphase1

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, I'm not ok with it.  He should have been shown the door, and we will pay by putting off the rebuild an additional year.  Another poor decision by Spears. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, ed swain, miltonherdfan, vanhorn78, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2023, 10:18:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hell??we?ve kept DD 5 years too many.    No reason to run Huff out of town.

Correct. MU officials couldn't fire Huff for under performing when they keep Dan on the payroll. Huff has finished in the T-2nd East in CUSA; 3rd East and T-5th East which is about the same as Dan who averages around a 5th place finish depending on how you rate the ties.  Huff has a little better winning percentage .578 than Dan at .555. Of course the sample is smaller and Huff did start out in a better situation. But Dan has much longer to prove himself and he is not setting the world on fire after 9 seasons. It is a lot easier to have a good basketball team when you only need to recruit a few outstanding players, it is a numbers thing compared to football.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Huff_(American_football)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_D'Antoni

Maybe Huff will win next year. It has happen in the past with other coaches like Frank Beamer. It took Beamer seven seasons before he got VA Tech rolling.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Beamer
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 10:25:14 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline HerdsHerd

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2023, 10:37:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m ok with keeping him the way we did.

No extension.

Demanded serious changes with the staff.

This.  Could not have said it better myself.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdfan129

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2023, 11:03:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the way we did it yes. I'm ok with finishing the contract out to avoid a buyout AND a new Head Coach. I don't particularly think Huff is going to accomplish anything but hey he can give it a shot. Anything less than being in the Sun Belt title game and he NEEDS to be gone. No another 6-6, 7-5 season doesn't cut it.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, elginherd, herdfan129, vanhorn78

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2023, 11:03:39 AM »