Author Topic: Chuck Landon: Good and bad for Herd  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

Chuck Landon: Good and bad for Herd
« on: November 28, 2023, 11:41:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chuck says we won't miss Trickett. He was in over his head and it showed. As for Boukknight, difficult to say since he didn't call plays. The receivers seldom seem to run pass patterns.

As for Legg and Morrison leaving , CL says these "two moves weren't good decisions and show little to no loyalty."

Chuck questioned Huff's move to bring in 40 players from the Portal, which wasn't a good move. A coach should build a program, rather than go for a quick fix.

Finally, Chuck recommends the next OC should be Tony Peterson.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain, elginherd

HerdFans.com

Chuck Landon: Good and bad for Herd
    « on: November 28, 2023, 11:41:43 AM »

Online elginherd

Re: Chuck Landon: Good and bad for Herd
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 12:00:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chuck says we won't miss Trickett. He was in over his head and it showed. As for Boukknight, difficult to say since he didn't call plays. The receivers seldom seem to run pass patterns.

As for Legg and Morrison leaving , CL says these "two moves weren't good decisions and show little to no loyalty."

Chuck questioned Huff's move to bring in 40 players from the Portal, which wasn't a good move. A coach should build a program, rather than go for a quick fix.

Chuck also pointed out how prolific the Herd offense was when Legg was the OC.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Chuck is an out of touch relic that has ZERO inside information
    ZERO
    and he can take that son of Marshall stuff and stick it
    It?s old school 1950s thinking

The following users thanked this post: Johnnyherd

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 12:08:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd be OK with Peterson returning.  He did a great job in developing Cato.  We have several young QBs who appear to be stuck in neutral.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline puma

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 12:20:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In terms of the portal, it actually would be pretty interesting to see a data junkie (not Chuck) do a deep dive into teams that disproportionately rebuilt with transfers. I really don't have a sense on how well it works.

I get the arguments about building a program vs. quick fixes. It's just tough to build a program around diamonds in the rough when they immediately leave after after their breakout year.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 12:32:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recruit to put first stringer on the bench

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 12:33:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff was loyal to his AC - he decided to hire them

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 12:57:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In terms of the portal, it actually would be pretty interesting to see a data junkie (not Chuck) do a deep dive into teams that disproportionately rebuilt with transfers. I really don't have a sense on how well it works.

I get the arguments about building a program vs. quick fixes. It's just tough to build a program around diamonds in the rough when they immediately leave after after their breakout year.
    Well, it didn't work out too well for Coach Prime.
    Personally, I think the portal would be best used for immediate needs.
    Still have to recruit and develop. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 01:06:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hard NO to Petersen returning as HC.  He would make a good QB coach.  Many seem happy to see Petersen move on after his last stint at Marshall. 

Offline goherd24

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 01:07:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lol Legg and prolific offense. He was absolute trash. My 6 year old could look like a prolific OC with Cato. Cato ran the game from the line of scrimmage. The only time legg was in control was when he was a freshman and he told legg he was not so smart and didn't know what he was doing during the ucf game we lost. Lol

Online elginherd

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lol Legg and prolific offense. He was absolute trash. My 6 year old could look like a prolific OC with Cato. Cato ran the game from the line of scrimmage. The only time legg was in control was when he was a freshman and he told legg he was not so smart and didn't know what he was doing during the ucf game we lost. Lol

And Legg gave him the framework and freedom to do so.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And Legg gave him the framework and freedom to do so.
    Haahahhaa. Legg has done an absolute terrible job in every capacity at Marshall. He took an Oline that Morrissey had man handle Notre Dame, and made it look like swiss cheese against bowling green and everyone else after Morrissey quit. He was horrible as an OC, and somehow he keeps getting fired and brought back. We need a restraining order on legg.

Just for the record

Legg was over 100 ranking in total offense and scoring his first two seasons, then was top 10 for 3 years with cato from soph to senior, then promptly dropped back to 80th and 50th with a pretty decent litton, as much as people don't like the kid. We'd kill for Litton right now lol

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 01:23:17 PM by goherd24 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »

Online herd2win

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 01:23:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just pick the best OC from FBS and call it a day.  Give him a 2 year contract with a nice raise and see what happens.  Time for freshness on offense. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HerdEcon

Offline herdman22

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, it didn't work out too well for Coach Prime.
    Personally, I think the portal would be best used for immediate needs.
    Still have to recruit and develop.
    I agree with this. There's a balance that must be found. You might get a good team with the portal but you will never get a good program.

I really hate the portal but you've got to play the game with the other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 01:46:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i wouldn't exactly say it didn't work out too well for Prime.  y'all do realize CO only won 1 game last year, right?  did you expect him to try & compete in the P12 with a bunch of true freshmen?  he did the right thing by running off all of the apparently FCS/DII talent that was on that team last year & re-vamped the roster the best he could by bringing in as many semi-proven commodities (FBS transfers/FCS studs) as he could.  he wasn't exactly recruiting for "tomorrow's" players, he needed guys that could contribute yesterday.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 01:53:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i wouldn't exactly say it didn't work out too well for Prime.  y'all do realize CO only won 1 game last year, right?  did you expect him to try & compete in the P12 with a bunch of true freshmen?  he did the right thing by running off all of the apparently FCS/DII talent that was on that team last year & re-vamped the roster the best he could by bringing in as many semi-proven commodities (FBS transfers/FCS studs) as he could.  he wasn't exactly recruiting for "tomorrow's" players, he needed guys that could contribute yesterday.

They beat some turds, and 1 decent team. Last place in the conference again. Not much improvement.

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We'd kill for Litton right now lol

I'd rather lose every game than have a cancer like that back on this team.  Thought he was too good for the team and too good for the rules.  Talk about letting something go to your head.  Mr. #1 can suck it.  This is the same guy that let the back up play vs a ranked Louisville at home cause he couldn't stay off the weed long enough to keep from getting his ass kicked by his roommate.  Zero character.

The following users thanked this post: Big City, svherd, HerdEcon, Flat Tire 2, puma

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 02:01:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• They beat some turds, and 1 decent team. Last place in the conference again. Not much improvement.

i don't know what their scores were last season, but they were very competitive in all but 2 of their losses this year.  not much improvement in place finish, but their program is definitely in a much better spot going into next season than they were this time last year.

Offline svherd

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 02:05:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd rather lose every game than have a cancer like that back on this team.  Thought he was too good for the team and too good for the rules.  Talk about letting something go to your head.  Mr. #1 can suck it.  This is the same guy that let the back up play vs a ranked Louisville at home cause he couldn't stay off the weed long enough to keep from getting his ass kicked by his roommate.  Zero character.

Exactly. Talk about making things worse.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 02:23:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Haahahhaa. Legg has done an absolute terrible job in every capacity at Marshall. He took an Oline that Morrissey had man handle Notre Dame, and made it look like swiss cheese against bowling green and everyone else after Morrissey quit. He was horrible as an OC, and somehow he keeps getting fired and brought back. We need a restraining order on legg.

Just for the record

Legg was over 100 ranking in total offense and scoring his first two seasons, then was top 10 for 3 years with cato from soph to senior, then promptly dropped back to 80th and 50th with a pretty decent litton, as much as people don't like the kid. We'd kill for Litton right now lol

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Bingo on Legg.  Never again.  Huffs biggest mistake was firing that Oline coach.  Regarding Petersen Illinois State is a middle of the road FCS school but they do play in the toughest conference, Missouri Valley. Against the top teams they played he seemed to be roughly a 60/40 split of Pass/Run. I kind of like Meh.  I mean have definitely had worse.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 05:13:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard that Peterson's character is very questionable

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline cincyherdfan

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 06:16:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard that Peterson's character is very questionable

TRS
    MU 71

Rumor mil was Doc let Tony go from his staff because of laziness after a short time period and that he wasn?t doing much on the recruiting trail.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 06:16:33 PM »

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 06:27:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Colorado is a dumpster fire

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 07:44:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Pretty sure conversation was with Peterson but Cato ended up benched after that.  He also laid one of biggest eggs in Herd history screwing up 2014 wku at home despite having most talented herd team and easiest schedule in 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 07:45:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He will have to stop comparing his players to himself.  They don?t want to hear about you Prime all the time.  Not todays Athlete.  Players judge you as a coach quick. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 07:45:15 PM »