Author Topic: This is what Marshall Football should do  (Read 955 times)

Offline herd1990

This is what Marshall Football should do
« on: December 07, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a JMU fan but this is how you hire!  Proven at lower levels.  Big time QB probably coming with Chesney.  It's not hard.....but I guess it sounds better to say we hired the Bama RB coach.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39063690/sources-james-madison-expected-holy-cross-bob-chesney

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, MUinDE

HerdFans.com

This is what Marshall Football should do
    « on: December 07, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »

Online herd2win

Re: This is what Marshall Football should do
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 12:23:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, many in this board have said this is the way for MU to find our coaches.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 12:25:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh, for gosh sakes.  Huff was an ELITE recruiter that had experience at Penn State, Miss State and Alabama.  He was the ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH at Alabama and Miss State.  He was NOT just the running back coach.

On paper, he was a home run hire.  Hasn't worked out that way, but I'm hopeful he's made the right coordinator, etc. moves recently. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: overherd1, BigJimslade

Online svherd

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 12:33:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh, for gosh sakes.  Huff was an ELITE recruiter that had experience at Penn State, Miss State and Alabama.  He was the ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH at Alabama and Miss State.  He was NOT just the running back coach.

On paper, he was a home run hire.  Hasn't worked out that way, but I'm hopeful he's made the right coordinator, etc. moves recently.
    It's easy to recruit for those schools, not so much Marshall University in Huntington, WV. I think he was totally unprepared for the challenges of this job, what needed to be done/improved and trying to convince kids to come here. I really think he thought he could come in, win big and get a better gig in 3-4 years. As we know, that's not happening. The program is on worse footing now than when he arrived.

Now these comments tarnish our school, making it all the more difficult. I can't believe Brad and Spears would allow him to continue, but it doesn't surprise me either.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online 2xBison

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 12:37:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Not sure what paper you looked at but the one I looked at showed he was an unproven risky hire.  Home run?  Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, MUfan08, svherd, biggreenarms

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 12:38:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boy, I'm going to piss a lot of people off, but if you really want to know what Marshall football shoutld do is to say, "We had a hell of a run, were ranked nationally, beat Notre Dame, Clemson, and Virginia Tech, but we are returning to FCS football." It may take five more years for it to become apparent to everyone, but we will not be able to keep up with the pace of spending that is going to ensue as all pretense of college football being related to college goes out the windo. Neither will most other teams at our level. I am not saying that through a combination of good coaching, luck and commitment to the program we can not settle in and finish between 5-7 an 8-4 every year and go to some second tier bowl, but that's the realistic future. Wouldn't it be more fun to go back to FCS? It's not anybody's fault...the decisions that would have had to have been made to change the economy or our region would have had to have been done a century ago...I'll be at the games regardless.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 12:42:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure what paper you looked at but the one I looked at showed he was an unproven risky hire.  Home run?  Nope

He had better credentials than any coach MU has hired since Pruett.  And even though he's young, his resume was comparable to Bob's or Donnan's. 

Its preferable to hire a proven head coach from a lower division; however, that's risky as well (see Bob Daniels).  And we can afford what we can afford - which is going to be much more difficult now that coordinators at major P5 schools are getting paid significantly more than our head coach. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: HuntersvilleHerd

Offline muherd34

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boy, I'm going to piss a lot of people off, but if you really want to know what Marshall football shoutld do is to say, "We had a hell of a run, were ranked nationally, beat Notre Dame, Clemson, and Virginia Tech, but we are returning to FCS football." It may take five more years for it to become apparent to everyone, but we will not be able to keep up with the pace of spending that is going to ensue as all pretense of college football being related to college goes out the windo. Neither will most other teams at our level. I am not saying that through a combination of good coaching, luck and commitment to the program we can not settle in and finish between 5-7 an 8-4 every year and go to some second tier bowl, but that's the realistic future. Wouldn't it be more fun to go back to FCS? It's not anybody's fault...the decisions that would have had to have been made to change the economy or our region would have had to have been done a century ago...I'll be at the games regardless.

Doesn't make me mad.  Just a really sad take.  We are near the top of athletic budgets to our peers and people like you think we can't compete.  If anything I feel sorry for our fans that feel this way. We will never compete for a national championship at this level.  Like 110 other teams, but we can win our conference and get an access bowl.  Doesn't matter anyway, with the big break coming we will be where we will be.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Definitely just the RB coach. Associate HC is meaningless. Not a good resume. Had been turned down over and over.  Akron wouldn?t even hire him.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, chris88, herdfan129

Offline muherd34

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 12:50:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Definitely just the RB coach. Associate HC is meaningless. Not a good resume. Had been turned down over and over.  Akron wouldn?t even hire him.

Believe he said he was turned down 9x before we gave him a shot.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline HuntersvilleHerd

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 12:50:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its not necessary to move down. The G5 will be the new 1AA. Probably get its own playoff and champion. No need to drop a level below App, JMU, WKU and the MAC.

Boy, I'm going to piss a lot of people off, but if you really want to know what Marshall football shoutld do is to say, "We had a hell of a run, were ranked nationally, beat Notre Dame, Clemson, and Virginia Tech, but we are returning to FCS football." It may take five more years for it to become apparent to everyone, but we will not be able to keep up with the pace of spending that is going to ensue as all pretense of college football being related to college goes out the windo. Neither will most other teams at our level. I am not saying that through a combination of good coaching, luck and commitment to the program we can not settle in and finish between 5-7 an 8-4 every year and go to some second tier bowl, but that's the realistic future. Wouldn't it be more fun to go back to FCS? It's not anybody's fault...the decisions that would have had to have been made to change the economy or our region would have had to have been done a century ago...I'll be at the games regardless.

The following users thanked this post: luvherd, whf, wasbarryb, herdfifteen

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 12:50:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doesn't make me mad.  Just a really sad take.  We are near the top of athletic budgets to our peers and people like you think we can't compete.  If anything I feel sorry for our fans that feel this way. We will never compete for a national championship at this level.  Like 110 other teams, but we can win our conference and get an access bowl.  Doesn't matter anyway, with the big break coming we will be where we will be.

I'm not saying we are not at the level of our peers. Our peers are in the same boat.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 12:50:54 PM »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 12:51:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He had better credentials than any coach MU has hired since Pruett.  And even though he's young, his resume was comparable to Bob's or Donnan's. 

Its preferable to hire a proven head coach from a lower division; however, that's risky as well (see Bob Daniels).  And we can afford what we can afford - which is going to be much more difficult now that coordinators at major P5 schools are getting paid significantly more than our head coach.
    Better credentials?  I thought we were determining if it was home run or not?

Better credentials?  I guess it depends on what you emphasize.  Pruett and Donnan coordinators all others credentials similar Doc, Snyder and Huff.  And Snyder had been co-coordinator and Doc had position titles and Asst HC titles but known as recruiter like Huff.

Similar credentials by all three.  All three risky hires that didn't work.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms, chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    No, it wouldn't be more fun to go back to FCS. And I sure wouldn't go to those games. It's why schools like JMU, Liberty, App State, Georgia Southern, and most recently Delaware  moved up. Going back to FCS is not an option. We just need to make the right hires and bring in the right talent. We'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Offline herd1990

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 12:55:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Home run hire!!!😂😂😂.  This turd went 6-6 in his 3rd season.  Never been a head coach before and it showed.  Just because you are an "associate HC" at a premier school doesn't mean you are ready to lead a D1 program.  Huff has been an epic failure on every front.  This should have been his breakout year (year 3).  Instead it will be his demise.  Tough going for a "Home Run Hire"!
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 12:57:41 PM by herd1990 »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 12:58:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Home run hire!!!😂😂😂.  This turd went 6-6 in his 3rd season.  Never been a head coach before and it showed.  Just because you are an "associate HC" at a premier school doesn't mean you are ready to lead a D1 program.  Huff had been an epic failure on every front.  This should have been his breakout year (year 3).  Instead it will be his demise.  Tough going for a "Home Run Hire"!

No need to be an a$$.  At the time of his hiring, he was the best candidate ON PAPER.  He checked all the boxes.  He had experience.  He coached elite talent.  He was known for his recruiting.  That's what we thought we needed. 

As I said, so far its not worked out.  I'm still hopeful for the future but I'm generally an optimist. 

- E-Man

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any coaching hire is a risk. Look at Jimbo Fisher at A&M. National champ at FSU has the big $ for NIL and can't put it together. There is no such thing as a safe hire anymore
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:42:05 PM by FilmJunky »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 01:10:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a JMU fan but this is how you hire!  Proven at lower levels.  Big time QB probably coming with Chesney.  It's not hard.....but I guess it sounds better to say we hired the Bama RB coach.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39063690/sources-james-madison-expected-holy-cross-bob-chesney

Other schools have no problem hiring good coaches and do their homework. Marshall is the worst ever at hiring coaches. No vision and never think outside the box.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline herd1990

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 01:19:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No need to be an a$$.  At the time of his hiring, he was the best candidate ON PAPER.  He checked all the boxes.  He had experience.  He coached elite talent.  He was known for his recruiting.  That's what we thought we needed. 

As I said, so far its not worked out.  I'm still hopeful for the future but I'm generally an optimist.

Who's being an a**?  Just responding to your ridiculous statement of "home run hire".  Hope your feelings weren't hurt. 😂

Online svherd

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 01:23:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU spends 58 million on sports, we spend what, 37 million?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #20 on: December 07, 2023, 01:26:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That's part of the story. Thee other part is that they have potential resources to know where the next $10 million will come from when they have to jump their budget to 70 million. Once colleges start directly paying players and the whole thing goes nuclear, it won't really matter.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 01:30:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Uh. . . Nope.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 01:30:20 PM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2023, 01:32:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Correct.  According to sportico.  58 mill to 39 mill.  However we spend 10 mill on football and they spend 4.3 on football.

Offline Mako

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2023, 01:44:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any coaching hire is a risk. Look at Jimbo Fisher at A&M. Natioanl champ at FSU has the big $ for NIL and can't put it together. There is no such thing as a safe hire anymore
    ^^This right here^^

The internet geniuses who think there is some foolproof way to hire a coach need to look at Scott Frost at Nebraska.  He was the perfect hire.  QB for Stanford and Nebraska and led the Cornhuskers to a share of the national title.  OC for Oregon where they made it to the national championship game.  Then, head coach at Florida's University in the Center (FUC) where he went 6-7 the year after they went 0-12 and then 13-0.  It's impossible to have much more success than that.  Then, he goes to Nebraska where he goes:

4-8
    5-7
    3-5 (Covid year)
    3-9
    1-2 (fired three games into the season)
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 01:53:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nebraska is a bottom of the barrel B10 program. That's almost a suicide job for a guy hitting home runs at a G5 like frost was. That's the kind of program a cignetti takes to ride a boatload of cash into retirement.

We aren't bottom of the barrel SBC staring upwards at OSUs, PSUs, michigans, etc. like Nebraska is.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 01:53:27 PM »