Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 30347 times)

bighat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Haveyouherd222

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2024, 12:22:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The new commit is a Fulford guy.    He certainly will help.  June live period is coming up the next two weekends.   The guys on the road will be focused on 25' and 26' guys those two weeks.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2024, 12:22:16 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #401 on: June 17, 2024, 12:33:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The new commit is a Fulford guy.    He certainly will help.  June live period is coming up the next two weekends.   The guys on the road will be focused on 25' and 26' guys those two weeks.

The new kid looks really good. Only negative I see is 27% from 3. But I like him and Speer from Florida AM. Hopefully than can land one more to take Brauns spot.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2024, 03:14:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word is we will be much better defensively.   Be able to do some different things we haven't done in the past.   Coaches are very high on the twins, and Mikal Dawson. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scope58

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #403 on: June 17, 2024, 03:27:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears might be the sleeper of the bunch.  He?s been practicing against pro players. 

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2024, 03:41:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word is we will be much better defensively.   Be able to do some different things we haven't done in the past.   Coaches are very high on the twins, and Mikal Dawson.

I would love to see a really hard nosed defensive team. I love watching great defense.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2024, 04:35:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word is Spears is a dog.  Quickest guy on the team, with a legit first step.   He'll have a role in the rotation.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, Buffalo Bop, MicDrass1, scope58

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #406 on: June 17, 2024, 05:07:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

One more to give with Braun stepping away right?

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #407 on: June 17, 2024, 06:04:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word is Spears is a dog.  Quickest guy on the team, with a legit first step.   He'll have a role in the rotation.

He went against pros not bottom feeder SBC team.  Can he shoot, dish, break a D down, create an efficient offense???   Truthfully he could end up being best player on team. 

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #408 on: June 17, 2024, 06:36:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He went against pros not bottom feeder SBC team.  Can he shoot, dish, break a D down, create an efficient offense???   Truthfully he could end up being best player on team.

Woahhh...hopefully he can contribute but I wasn't that impressed with his video. Decent walk on but that's about it.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #409 on: June 17, 2024, 10:02:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Woahhh...hopefully he can contribute but I wasn't that impressed with his video. Decent walk on but that's about it.

I think his role is going to be much more than that.   

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2024, 10:48:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think his role is going to be much more than that.   

Well I hope so but I wasn't impressed. If his role is very big then Cornys recruits aren't as good as I was hoping. I expect him to get some minutes about like Pruett but the talk about he could be the best player on the team is pure fantasy. I would guess 7-8-9 in the rotation.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2024, 12:23:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Above .500? In the belt?  Gee wiz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't "pooh", "pooh" above .500 in the belt. Especially when our 10 year "veteran" FORMER HC in his last year, High School Dan, lost TWENTY GAMES or so in that final season and was a "gaudy" 7 and 11 versus that same Sun Belt competition.  And a significant number in and around MU, and its Fan Base, still wanted him around in the SAME HC position in season ELEVEN!!!

Don't need to identify those "blind mice".  Just round up "the usual suspects", starting with those who fawned, adored, and "Yuck'd it up" at virtually EVERY practice session, in that DECADE of overall mediocre to average and ho-hum basketball by the HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2024, 12:23:14 AM »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #412 on: June 18, 2024, 12:41:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't "pooh", "pooh" above .500 in the belt. Especially when our 10 year "veteran" FORMER HC in his last year, High School Dan, lost TWENTY GAMES or so in that final season and was a "gaudy" 7 and 11 versus that same Sun Belt competition.  And a significant number in and around MU, and its Fan Base, still wanted him around in the SAME HC position in season ELEVEN!!!

Don't need to identify those "blind mice".  Just round up "the usual suspects", starting with those who fawned, adored, and "Yuck'd it up" at virtually EVERY practice session, in that DECADE of overall mediocre to average and ho-hum basketball by the HERD
    Dan is gone. No one (hardly) is upset he was pushed out.  Can you give it a rest? 

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, overherd1

Offline coalherd

« Reply #413 on: June 18, 2024, 01:03:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan is gone. No one (hardly) is upset he was pushed out.  Can you give it a rest? 

Guess I got "too close to home", and "touched a nerve", Bison!  Consider it done!!

(PS:  If you happen to play Pickle Ball with Danny, let him win every now and then.  I'm sure it'll help him emotionally!!)

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #414 on: June 18, 2024, 01:14:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Woahhh...hopefully he can contribute but I wasn't that impressed with his video. Decent walk on but that's about it.

Have any college video to share?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #415 on: June 18, 2024, 05:41:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have any college video to share?

I googled it. At the end of the Miss st game he played a couple minutes. Hit a 3 but just looked like a walk on. They were up 30 and coach emptied the bench. He looked about like Pruett to me. Not a bad player but not a starter either. 

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #416 on: June 18, 2024, 06:15:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Nothing against the young man, but he was not a contributor at Bama. If look at the below link, Spears statistics are not impressive. He only had 18 minutes playing time 11 games which less than 2 minutes per game and 1.2 PPG. That sounds like mop up time for a walk on since he his playing time was at the end of the games. If he is a major contributor at Marshall this season, we don't have the talent to be a factor in the SBC.

https://rolltide.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/kai-spears/9058

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2024, 08:26:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For the final scholarship, they should simply go after the best player available regardless of position.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline whf

« Reply #418 on: June 18, 2024, 08:38:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears was a scholarship player on the team that won the SEC and advanced to the final four last basketball season. I don't know how good he'll be at MU, but let's give him some respect for his past accomplishments.  Starting as a walk on at a program headed for these results isn't a bad opportunity, I'd say exactly the opposite. He took a chance on the program, got a scholarship, and now is moving on for more playing time. Sounds like a lot of kids, and a bunch of folks in the portal.  Aren't all portal players looking for more playing time, or more financial assistance?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, horsrman, chris88, overherd1, scope58

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #419 on: June 18, 2024, 09:25:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears was a scholarship player on the team that won the SEC and advanced to the final four last basketball season. I don't know how good he'll be at MU, but let's give him some respect for his past accomplishments.  Starting as a walk on at a program headed for these results isn't a bad opportunity, I'd say exactly the opposite. He took a chance on the program, got a scholarship, and now is moving on for more playing time. Sounds like a lot of kids, and a bunch of folks in the portal.  Aren't all portal players looking for more playing time, or more financial assistance?

For walk-ons, if they simply become a contributor, then that is a big win for any program. 

The following users thanked this post: whf, chris88, scope58

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #420 on: June 18, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just hope Corny doesn't feel the pressure to play him more than he should since his dad is Cornys boss. I would love for the kid to be the SB POY but watching him he looks like a walk on to me. Solid walk on but not a program changer by any means. And remember Danny gave walk ons scholarships also but it didn't mean they were great.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, Always THE HERD, scope58

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #421 on: June 18, 2024, 09:59:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For walk-ons, if they simply become a contributor, then that is a big win for any program.

I agree and glad he is on the team. But some people are setting their hopes way to high.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #421 on: June 18, 2024, 09:59:30 AM »

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #422 on: June 18, 2024, 01:23:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched some practice and Spears has some game!  He has hops and can shoot, not a real big guy, but he'll probably get a few minutes a game.  He can jam it with two hands, saw it twice.  Hes also got a decent shot. Hes an upgrade from most of our past walk ons. 
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, Buffalo Bop, chris88, Rockin Herd Fan, luckytoes99

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #423 on: June 18, 2024, 02:19:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched some practice and Spears has some game!  He has hops and can shoot, not a real big guy, but he'll probably get a few minutes a game.  He can jam it with two hands, saw it twice.  Hes also got a decent shot. Hes an upgrade from most of our past walk ons.

Dude was on scholarship at Alabama so he has to be a good player

Will he contribute for us?

No clue, I've never seen him play

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2024, 02:42:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of you need to put Spears being on scholarship at Bama in perspective. Spears was placed on a scholarship for his last semester at Bama. Again, nothing against the young but he was given the last scholarship on the team when Bama didn't sign a player at mid year. The same scholarship was almost awarded to senior walk on instead of Spear. I believe the Bama coach is friends with our AD.

"Alabama basketball sophomore guard Kai Spears is a walk-on no more. Spears was offered a scholarship on Thursday sources tell BamaCentral.
    Spears is in his second year with the program. He has appeared in seven games this season with six total points. The guard made his first career field goal in the 111-67 victory over Eastern Kentucky on Dec. 23.

Coming into the season, Alabama only had 12 scholarship players (Kris Parker, Mark Sears, Grant Nelson, Rylan Griffen, Davin Cosby Jr., Mouhamed Dioubate, Mohamed Wague, Latrell Wrightsell Jr., Jarin Stevenson, Nick Pringle, Sam Walters and Aaron Estrada) on the team, which left one scholarship spot available.

Senior forward Max Scharnowski and freshman Ward Harrell are the other two walk-ons currently on the Crimson Tide roster.

It is the second season in a row Alabama head coach Nate Oats left an open scholarship spot on the roster. Last season, Alabama used the open scholarship for Cosby who enrolled early, but the Crimson Tide didn't add an early-enrollee midseason this year.

In Friday's press conference, Oats explained the reasoning behind giving Spears a scholarship over Scharnowski, who has been in the program longer. Oats said Scharnowski is already on a good academic scholarship, so Spears needed it more and was given the scholarship after discussing it with the two players."

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/basketball/alabama-basketball-walk-on-kai-spears-offered-scholarship

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2024, 02:42:41 PM »