Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 31942 times)

Source03, 71challenger-rt, theherd0115691 (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2024, 10:56:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyways, back to recruiting

This guy currently has offers from EKU, ETSU, and yesterday from Youngstown State.

https://x.com/NextUpRecruits/status/1804682563618779243

Maybe we'll be offering him on his visit. He looks like another one of those KY guard bucket getters.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2024, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #476 on: June 23, 2024, 02:29:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe we'll be offering him on his visit. He looks like another one of those KY guard bucket getters.

Any relation to our HC ?
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online Tim Hensley

« Reply #477 on: June 23, 2024, 02:42:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nebraska:  119-88.  I'd bet my house on it.

Refresh me, now.  This is all getting hard for an old man to folllow.  Did we pick up this kid from Oregon State/Toledo?  If so, that leaves us with no scholarships to give?  Should have about five to give for next year?  Hope the kid from Harlan is not another Ervin Stepp; a Herbie Stamper would be OK.

Yes, I was there when KV put on his shooting clinic.  Wasn't Brannen on that team too?  Who remembers LaVerne Evans?

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #478 on: June 23, 2024, 02:53:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Refresh me, now.  This is all getting hard for an old man to folllow.  Did we pick up this kid from Oregon State/Toledo?  If so, that leaves us with no scholarships to give?  Should have about five to give for next year?  Hope the kid from Harlan is not another Ervin Stepp; a Herbie Stamper would be OK.

Yes, I was there when KV put on his shooting clinic.  Wasn't Brannen on that team too?  Who remembers LaVerne Evans?

Braun left the program so we have one scholarship left for this class

Combo guard please

Go Herd!

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #479 on: June 23, 2024, 04:27:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Braun left the program so we have one scholarship left for this class

Combo guard please

Go Herd!
    ~
    Is Braun going to stay at MU and complete his degree?

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #480 on: June 23, 2024, 04:41:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ~
    Is Braun going to stay at MU and complete his degree?

I was told yes that he is staying at Marshall

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #481 on: June 23, 2024, 04:48:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His father is still selling out shows

« Reply #482 on: June 23, 2024, 05:10:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thought I would at least get a chuckle on the Huff recruit. Back in the 90's when I would come into town and play basketball at the Boys Club in Guyandotte on Sunday mornings I asked this black fellow if this talented teenage white girl ( not sure if it was Kim Riddle ) was his daughter. Joke turned out to be sort of on me as I was later told he had a daughter by a white woman.

I was on the floor for the celebration after Marshall won the 1984 SoCon Tournament in Asheville and award-winning LaVerne Evans kept staring at me for some reason. Never did figure out why.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

Online Tim Hensley

« Reply #483 on: June 23, 2024, 06:46:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was in Asheville too: 110-107 in double overtime.  Also was in Milwaukee when we had Villanova down at the half.

The following users thanked this post: jdonaccbus

Offline wlf

« Reply #484 on: June 23, 2024, 09:06:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He was one of the three Zuffelato  recruits on Huck's team that beat WVU in the Henderson Center. One of my favorite games.

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #485 on: June 23, 2024, 09:53:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
      Who remembers LaVerne Evans?

I always thought fans under rated LaVerne when it came to listing the best players for MU. LaVerne was a very good player and made key plays at crunch time by hitting a clutch shot, getting a key rebound or a big defensive play.
    I think one year in high school he was the leading scorer in NY state.Wish we will have a LaVerne Evans player on this year'a Herd team.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herddds, Collis P, overherd1

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #486 on: June 23, 2024, 10:04:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • [quote author=parshall2marshall link=topic=118060.msg1066570#msg1066570 date=1719177020

I was on the floor for the celebration after Marshall won the 1984 SoCon Tournament in Asheville and award-winning LaVerne Evans kept staring at me for some reason. Never did figure out why.
    [/quote]

Was that a period of your life when you would wrap aluminum on your head to keep the aliens from reading your mind? lol
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #486 on: June 23, 2024, 10:04:16 PM »

« Reply #487 on: June 24, 2024, 07:55:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • [quote author=parshall2marshall link=topic=118060.msg1066570#msg1066570 date=1719177020

Was that a period of your life when you would wrap aluminum on your head to keep the aliens from reading your mind? lol

It sure was Yogi. But I gave up the practice when Sarah West all and others recently convinced me that the tech is there that the aluminum foil no longer works.

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd

Online MUfan08

« Reply #488 on: June 24, 2024, 07:51:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • « Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 07:59:27 PM by MUfan08 »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #489 on: June 25, 2024, 03:29:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just got back from spending 5 days down in Huntington. There was a lot going on campus during that time....middle school team camp, high school team camp, etc. A lot of people were on campus.

I think people will like this team coming up this year. I really won't get too concerned with games in November and December. I think the potential for this team to be a contender from mid-January on is close to where we need to be. Caldwell started slow....I will give the same consideration to Coach Jackson in year one. He has to blend some guys in with what is returning.

I am not going to get into every thing I saw. Moore can play and has a real nice upside. Nutter will be better with this type of defense than last year where he got switched onto post players. Nutter can actually defend well from the basket. We have a Sunbelt championship level frontcourt if we can redefine some positions and where two guys need to play on the floor. Dan leaned more toward a positionless basketball five. It appears we are going to put more emphasis on a true frontcourt mentality compared to past seasons. Maybe I saw things wrong. We really have little depth in the frontcourt......I have changed my mind and think with the one scholarship that I frontcourt player needs to be added for not just this season but for next season as well.

We look far better than we did last season when I was down there at this time. We actually look more like a Divison 1 team. Last summer, I felt I was looking at bench players that would struggle to get on the floor at the University of Charleston and Fairmont State. I like the feel of what I saw.

It looks like more emphasis on two things: (1) being more mentally tougher with some of the workouts we do and (2) more team unity/bonding team functions/activities.

Corny was there. It looked like most assistants were out recruiting. We truly need a few more players, but I think Corny did a real good job considering the hand he was dealt.

Henderson Center and the SFPC were hotter than blue blazes. It was rough sitting in both. I get the SFPC being hot, but the Henderson Center had no air flow that I felt. The arena for its age is not in bad condition. The tarps drive me nuts. I hate looking at that.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #490 on: June 25, 2024, 03:43:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully our players look at playing Ohio State as a great chance to earn some money.  That?s what I?d tell them ...... get the bag. 

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #491 on: June 25, 2024, 04:22:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just got back from spending 5 days down in Huntington. There was a lot going on campus during that time....middle school team camp, high school team camp, etc. A lot of people were on campus.

I think people will like this team coming up this year. I really won't get too concerned with games in November and December. I think the potential for this team to be a contender from mid-January on is close to where we need to be. Caldwell started slow....I will give the same consideration to Coach Jackson in year one. He has to blend some guys in with what is returning.

I am not going to get into every thing I saw. Moore can play and has a real nice upside. Nutter will be better with this type of defense than last year where he got switched onto post players. Nutter can actually defend well from the basket. We have a Sunbelt championship level frontcourt if we can redefine some positions and where two guys need to play on the floor. Dan leaned more toward a positionless basketball five. It appears we are going to put more emphasis on a true frontcourt mentality compared to past seasons. Maybe I saw things wrong. We really have little depth in the frontcourt......I have changed my mind and think with the one scholarship that I frontcourt player needs to be added for not just this season but for next season as well.

We look far better than we did last season when I was down there at this time. We actually look more like a Divison 1 team. Last summer, I felt I was looking at bench players that would struggle to get on the floor at the University of Charleston and Fairmont State. I like the feel of what I saw.

It looks like more emphasis on two things: (1) being more mentally tougher with some of the workouts we do and (2) more team unity/bonding team functions/activities.

Corny was there. It looked like most assistants were out recruiting. We truly need a few more players, but I think Corny did a real good job considering the hand he was dealt.

Henderson Center and the SFPC were hotter than blue blazes. It was rough sitting in both. I get the SFPC being hot, but the Henderson Center had no air flow that I felt. The arena for its age is not in bad condition. The tarps drive me nuts. I hate looking at that.

Thanks!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #492 on: June 25, 2024, 04:53:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thanks for the update. I think we have the 2 best front court players in the SB if Oak and Martin are used correctly, especially Oak. And just getting the end of the bench cleaned out makes us a better team. You mentioned Nutter. I love his toughness and chip he carries around on his shoulder. If he can bring more of an offensive game then he can be a solid player. I also think Dawson will bring a toughness and strong presence to the team. I haven't seen the new kids but if Jalen Speer can create and be the PG we have been needing them we can be pretty good.

I am hopeful we will be a more complete team in all areas. Danny only concentrated on spacing and position less basketball shooting the 3 and virtually nothing else. Very little attention to defense, rebounding or even game day coaching. All he cared about was pick and roll, spacing and kick out for a 3. Those 3 things are great but we need to get serious about defense, rebounding, toughness and strategy. Street ball only was getting old. Hopefully CJ can land one more player that can be a difference maker.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2024, 10:50:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kaden Cooper visited last week.

Transfer from Oklahoma. Talented.

Well, he ended up committing to Louisiana Tech. Maybe he will excel at a  lower level of college basketball?
    https://verbalcommits.com/players/kaden-cooper
    Cooper was a highly recruited player out of high school, but didn't have much success at Oklahoma his freshman year.
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:01:09 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Offline scope58

« Reply #494 on: June 26, 2024, 12:32:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 04:36:02 PM by scope58 »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #495 on: June 26, 2024, 01:53:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tarping is awful looking.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #496 on: June 26, 2024, 06:10:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/maddoxhuff/status/1805760459070455921

So is an offer coming? Interest is there on both sides.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #496 on: June 26, 2024, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #497 on: June 26, 2024, 07:16:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heat in the Henderson Center??  Strange, because it wasn't that long ago during the tenure of Mike Hamrick as the AD that Marshall made what were touted as "major upgrades" in the ventilation system of the HC arena!!! There were games when we had crowds at the arena in the 8,000 and above level when the HC got pretty warm even in the middle of the winter.  Of course, having the omnipresent tarps which cut our seating capacity to maybe 6,000 or thereabouts certainly helps.

Really, and sadly, the presence of said tarps plus the lower attendance numbers just indicate the sagging, declining interest in MU basketball overall in the last 10 plus years or so!

Online GoHerd35

« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2024, 07:18:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/maddoxhuff/status/1805760459070455921

So is an offer coming? Interest is there on both sides.

Harlan County, KY product. 2025 class.

Holds offers from ETSU, Youngstown, UT-Martin, and EKU.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2024, 09:14:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It looks like we signed our last player for the upcoming season. Kaiden White, a 6'4" wing, out of Orlando, FL has inked with the Herd. He is athletic.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2024, 09:14:03 PM »