Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 32441 times)

mualum, Bigoherd, HerdMan84, Always THE HERD and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2024, 09:27:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, chris88, GreenDaddy, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2024, 09:27:01 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #501 on: June 26, 2024, 09:38:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUfan08

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 10:13:04 PM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, chris88

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #503 on: June 27, 2024, 06:51:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He appears to be an "under the radar" recruit? Rivals' web site has him with offers only from only FIU and Marshall both on 6-26-2024. It is interesting he got two offers only yesterday and accepted one the same day, I wonder what is the story on him?

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/kaiden-white-322877?view=pv

Edit: Per a link below, one article says he had an offer from FIU earlier than the date given by Rivals.

Edit: Verbal Commits has Kaiden listed with an offer from Division 2 Albany State in Georgia. So he had three college offers per the sources.
    https://verbalcommits.com/players/kaiden-white

« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 01:07:42 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline chris88

« Reply #504 on: June 27, 2024, 07:51:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He appears to be an "under the radar" recruit? Rivals' web site has him with offers only from only FIU and Marshall both on 6-26-2024. It is interesting he got two offers only yesterday and accepted one the same day, I wonder what is the story on him?

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/kaiden-white-322877?view=pv

Grades?? Who knows. He was all West Metro 1st team in Orlando and his team went to elite 8 in HS playoffs.  His highlight looks better than any player DD signed. Give Corny credit for turning over every stone. Twins from NAIA, Spears, the kid from Canada, and now this kid White. Plus the transfer from the MAC. All athletic and all but the MAC transfer have shown ability to score. The athleticism alone should make us much better on defense and give us better offensive options.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #505 on: June 27, 2024, 08:25:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm assuming this kid is getting the last available scholarship.  If so, then the 2024-25 roster is set.  I'm happy that Corny recognized that this team lacked athleticism at the guard and small forward positions and he went out and addressed that need.  How good will these players be, who knows, but the team will definitely be more athletic on the perimeter and hopefully they will be able to stop dribble penetration by the opposing team, which was a major Achilles heal during the DD era. 

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #506 on: June 27, 2024, 08:37:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The young man was first team Orlando West all metro team. I know there is also a East all metro and I believe there are also North and South all metro teams published by the Orlando newspaper. He had a teammate who was second team.
    https://olympiahighschoolathletics.com/2024/04/05/kaiden-white-and-kameren-wright-all-metro-west-basketball-honors/

He averaged 10ppg his junior season. Below link is from the start of the basketball season from a neighborhood media outlet. He was listed one of the top 20 basketball players in the West Orange and South Orange communities of Florida which is in the Metro Orlando area.
    https://www.orangeobserver.com/news/2023/dec/15/top-fhsaa-florida-high-school-basketball-players-to-watch-in-orange-county-orlando-windermere-winter-garden/

His stats for his senior year were 12.1 ppg; 3.9 assists; 3 RB and 2 steals per game.
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/03/25/sentinel-all-area-basketball-oak-ridge-jamier-jones-brandon-bass-jordan-tillery-windermere-arosco-dubois-ocp/

I would expect he might be a year or two away from being a major contributor. Welcome to Marshall!
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 09:35:49 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #507 on: June 27, 2024, 09:22:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #508 on: June 27, 2024, 09:39:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009

Offline overherd1

« Reply #510 on: June 27, 2024, 10:10:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like a pretty good pick up.  Seems like a team guy.  Coach Jackson seems to upgrading the roster.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #511 on: June 27, 2024, 10:29:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have no idea if this team will be any good but I do like the way CJ and staff are turning over stones to find guys.  I don't see any laziness in his recruiting.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #511 on: June 27, 2024, 10:29:54 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #513 on: June 27, 2024, 10:50:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They are both from the Charlotte area and Erich has played against Handlogten.

Is that where the similarity ends? 😂

Let's hope not.......

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #514 on: June 27, 2024, 11:11:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/marshall-mens-basketball-erich-harding-draws-comparison-to-former-herd-standout/article_46142f60-4707-5b49-853c-2e5f7c34d89c.html

Can anyone confirm?

Nowhere near as good as Handlogton. Not nearly as coordinated. Plays a little stiff and clumsy at this point. Hopefully that will change in time.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #515 on: June 27, 2024, 11:18:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nowhere near as good as Handlogton. Not nearly as coordinated. Plays a little stiff and clumsy at this point. Hopefully that will change in time.

Micah got away with a lot of bad fundamentals and lack of athleticism b/c his height and length.  This kid is 3-4" shorter... heck, in 2024, you expect a 6'10" player to be able to shoot 3s. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #516 on: June 27, 2024, 11:18:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have no idea if this team will be any good but I do like the way CJ and staff are turning over stones to find guys.  I don't see any laziness in his recruiting.

No doubt he is giving his all recruiting and actually understands what is needed. He also understands ALL scholarships are important. Danny never wanted to out recruit his top 5 no matter how good or bad they were. He even told me once that Mike D said that was the toughest part when he was in college. Was having to work hard in practice every day to keep your spot. Danny didn't want to out recruit his starters after that and it showed. CJ understands it takes talent.

I have no idea what this team will do either. But if the guards come thru we can be a contender to win the SB imo. At least some old bad habits are getting cleaned up.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #517 on: June 27, 2024, 11:20:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Micah got away with a lot of bad fundamentals and lack of athleticism b/c his height and length.  This kid is 3-4" shorter... heck, in 2024, you expect a 6'10" player to be able to shoot 3s.

Micah was good enough to start for Florida in the SEC. I'm just not sold on Harding at all. Hope I'm wrong in time.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #518 on: June 27, 2024, 12:55:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • little bit surprised CJ went with a true freshman.  i would have bet on best available D1-experienced guy.

his numbers are good but not great.  if those numbers were achieved in a tough conference then that's good.

all in all, i think the recruiting class is also average but like others believe, maybe more athletic.  the key is scoring buckets and better D- did CJ improve scoring and defending team-wide?

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #519 on: June 27, 2024, 01:10:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Micah was good enough to start for Florida in the SEC. I'm just not sold on Harding at all. Hope I'm wrong in time.

I watched 6-8 of his games - he was slow, not very strong and not very 'tough'.  He was very tall.  That's a great attribute in basketball. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #520 on: June 27, 2024, 01:57:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched 6-8 of his games - he was slow, not very strong and not very 'tough'.  He was very tall.  That's a great attribute in basketball.

The slow and awkward is why I think he will struggle in D1. When he goes up against guys his size but moves much better it will be a problem. Moves like Goran but hopefully better hands than Goran.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2024, 01:58:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• No doubt he is giving his all recruiting and actually understands what is needed. He also understands ALL scholarships are important. Danny never wanted to out recruit his top 5 no matter how good or bad they were. He even told me once that Mike D said that was the toughest part when he was in college. Was having to work hard in practice every day to keep your spot. Danny didn't want to out recruit his starters after that and it showed. CJ understands it takes talent.

I have no idea what this team will do either. But if the guards come thru we can be a contender to win the SB imo. At least some old bad habits are getting cleaned up.

I have no idea how good the team will be this year. I know the program will be better now that Dan was forced out. Like you said, Dan had no idea how to manage a college program. His lack of experience coaching at the college level was glaring.  I will give him credit, he got lucky one year. Too bad he didn't know to build on the success of one good season.

CJ was left with a real mess. Hopefully he will build a decent program in a few years, but he's starting from rock bottom. 
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 02:03:39 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, scope58, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2024, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #522 on: June 27, 2024, 06:36:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Offline MUfan08

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, Buffalo Bop

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2024, 06:40:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/Purezay1/status/1805710221211226252

Below is some video

C4wfft6tK2_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.hudl.com/profile/17124252/isaiah-cochran
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 06:54:01 PM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com