Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 32968 times)

kpimichael, Tim Hensley and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MicDrass1

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #525 on: June 27, 2024, 08:58:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope CJ doesn?t give next years scholarships to freshman.  That would be a mistake.  A few maybe but most should be portal players.   

HerdFans.com

« Reply #525 on: June 27, 2024, 08:58:25 PM »

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #526 on: June 27, 2024, 09:46:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope CJ doesn?t give next years scholarships to freshman.  That would be a mistake.  A few maybe but most should be portal players.

We have at least 6 scholarships that will be available because of players that have one year of eligibility left currently in the program.

The average NIL deal for G5 teams to get top 500 player in the portal (that didn't go to a P5) was a little under $46,000. We are going to have to get a mixture of freshman just because of budget constraints and them not asking for what established players in the portal are asking/demanding.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, miltonherdfan, MicDrass1

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2024, 10:18:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have at least 6 scholarships that will be available because of players that have one year of eligibility left currently in the program.

The average NIL deal for G5 teams to get top 500 player in the portal (that didn't go to a P5) was a little under $46,000. We are going to have to get a mixture of freshman just because of budget constraints and them not asking for what established players in the portal are asking/demanding.

I hope they don?t rush & sign Hs players.  Portal for portal

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline MUonium

« Reply #528 on: June 28, 2024, 10:01:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i think about everyone agrees we needed guards and i'm talking 1s, 2s and sometimes 3s and 4s.  with all the new faces, i'm not sure who might be branded PG, if any specifically will be.  really though, i think everybody really wants guys who can score and get the ball to other scorers.

but lets talk trees for a moment.  do we have enough who are ready to reach the sun or at least the pinnacle of the sun belt?  rebounds, scoring and blocked shots don't just grow on trees!
    we do have an old reliable oak.
    and a tried and true texas mesquite.
    but what if they get hit by lightening?
    we've got a georgia peach in Fricks, who didn't bear much fruit last year.
    we just acquired a magnolia sapling in Harding.

looks like we could be short on tall wood- will it be a factor?  will we go with 4 dogwoods and 1 redwood most of the time?  just remember, we've seen many a Herd teams that didn't have enough strong timber and we sucked like a forest fire sucks air!

just curious what you foresters think!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 10:04:43 AM by MUonium »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #529 on: June 28, 2024, 10:10:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i think about everyone agrees we needed guards and i'm talking 1s, 2s and sometimes 3s and 4s.  with all the new faces, i'm not sure who might be branded PG, if any specifically will be.  really though, i think everybody really wants guys who can score and get the ball to other scorers.

but lets talk trees for a moment.  do we have enough who are ready to reach the sun or at least the pinnacle of the sun belt?  rebounds, scoring and blocked shots don't just grow on trees!

looks like we could be short on tall wood- will it be a factor?  will we go with 4 dogwoods and 1 redwood most of the time?  just remember, we've seen many a Herd teams that didn't have enough strong timber and we sucked like a forest fire sucks air!

We are thin up front after Obinna and Martin for sure

Hopefully Fricks is putting on muscle and weight in general so he can bang some, as we will need him to help out down low at times

The following users thanked this post: MUonium, MicDrass1

Offline MUonium

« Reply #530 on: June 28, 2024, 10:21:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • maybe a walk-on spot should have gone to a big body, if possible?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #531 on: June 28, 2024, 10:33:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

FAU went to the final 4 playing 4 guards at all times under 6'4".

Offline MUonium

« Reply #532 on: June 28, 2024, 10:53:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• FAU went to the final 4 playing 4 guards at all times under 6'4".

then the questions might be-
    how good were their one-at-a-time bigs?  do we have FAU type guards, guards that can score and assist?  how often do guard-dominate teams have high success?  i guess Princeton a couple of decades ago is one that comes to mind, coupled with their deliberate slo-mo, low-scoring, defense-minded, half-court affairs.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #533 on: June 28, 2024, 11:50:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • then the questions might be-
    how good were their one-at-a-time bigs?  do we have FAU type guards, guards that can score and assist?  how often do guard-dominate teams have high success?  i guess Princeton a couple of decades ago is one that comes to mind, coupled with their deliberate slo-mo, low-scoring, defense-minded, half-court affairs.

Not the point. It just shows small ball also works. Loyola Chicago went to the final 4 a few years ago and did the same thing. All small guards except the 6'8" freshman. If they are used right and have toughness it doesn't matter.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #534 on: June 28, 2024, 12:06:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUonium

« Reply #535 on: June 28, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not the point. It just shows small ball also works. Loyola Chicago went to the final 4 a few years ago and did the same thing. All small guards except the 6'8" freshman. If they are used right and have toughness it doesn't matter.

i most certainly did get your point and simply asked questions pertinent to your point.  you do you though

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #536 on: June 28, 2024, 01:49:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i most certainly did get your point and simply asked questions pertinent to your point.  you do you though

And I have you answers with facts.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #536 on: June 28, 2024, 01:49:07 PM »

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #537 on: June 28, 2024, 09:29:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust, what is your initial take on Will Moore as he competes with the Herd team this summer?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #538 on: June 28, 2024, 09:43:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust, what is your initial take on Will Moore as he competes with the Herd team this summer?

I have no idea since I haven't seen him. But from what I've heard he is very athletic and can shoot it. I think he will get some minutes but how much is anyone's guess.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #539 on: Yesterday at 07:18:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone seen Moore just walking around campus? 247Sports has him listed at 6'4" and 160 pounds on October 12, 2023. He will take a beating even in a weak basketball conference like the SBC at that weight. Hopefully he will put on some weight and muscle. 

https://247sports.com/player/will-moore-46134883/

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #540 on: Yesterday at 03:50:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone seen Moore just walking around campus? 247Sports has him listed at 6'4" and 160 pounds on October 12, 2023. He will take a beating even in a weak basketball conference like the SBC at that weight. Hopefully he will put on some weight and muscle. 

https://247sports.com/player/will-moore-46134883/

Rivals has him at 6-7 and 170. Even if that's correct he stills has to add at least 20-30 pounds of good weight.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/will-moore-313058?view=pv
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #541 on: Yesterday at 05:25:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have no idea since I haven't seen him. But from what I've heard he is very athletic and can shoot it. I think he will get some minutes but how much is anyone's guess.

Oh.  You had so much insight and comment on Harding, figured you had seen Moore as well.  When did you see Harding play?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #542 on: Yesterday at 05:53:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh.  You had so much insight and comment on Harding, figured you had seen Moore as well.  When did you see Harding play?

Dude you can watch videos and see he runs stiff and awkward. You can show only made shots and fool people about shooting. But just running and movement don't lie. But I Guess SC upstate must have thought he was good also since they were our competition to get him. And please don't say Handlogton wasn't recruited either because those things almost never happen and we got lucky with that one. Guess we will see as time goes bye.

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #543 on: Yesterday at 05:58:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #544 on: Yesterday at 05:59:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://herdzone.com/news/2024/6/27/mens-basketball-marshall-mens-basketball-adds-dezayne-mingo-to-the-2024-25-roster

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. ? Marshall Men's Basketball Head Coach Cornelius Jackson announced the signing Dezayne Mingo as an addition to the 2024-25 roster on Thursday. Mingo comes to Marshall with two years of eligibility upon transferring from the University of Guelph Gryphons (Guelph, Ontario, Canada).

"We're happy to have Dezayne as part of The Herd," Jackson said. "He is a natural scorer with the ability to make tough shots. He's another guy who is experienced having played two years at Guelph. We are looking for him to add an immediate playmaking and scoring punch to our program."

During the 2023-24 season, Mingo averaged 20.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game with 34 steals being named an Ontario University Athletics All-Star, becoming just the second player to earn all-star status for the program in the last 10 years.

In his freshman season (2022-23), Mingo was named the OUA Rookie of the Year and earned a spot on the U SPORTS All-Rookie team.

Mingo, a native of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, registered two triple-doubles in his two-year career with the Gryphons.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, Collis P, herdorbust2

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #545 on: Yesterday at 08:11:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rivals has him at 6-7 and 170. Even if that's correct he stills has to add at least 20-30 pounds of good weight.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/will-moore-313058?view=pv

I've heard he can play and should contribute this year.

Go Herd!

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #546 on: Yesterday at 08:49:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #546 on: Yesterday at 08:49:27 PM »

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #547 on: Today at 12:36:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dude you can watch videos and see he runs stiff and awkward. You can show only made shots and fool people about shooting. But just running and movement don't lie. But I Guess SC upstate must have thought he was good also since they were our competition to get him. And please don't say Handlogton wasn't recruited either because those things almost never happen and we got lucky with that one. Guess we will see as time goes bye.

Oh.  Now I got it.  So you have NOT seen either Moore or Harding play.  But you have watched some video of Harding and determined he is slow and awkward.  You obviously have not watched any videos of Moore since you have no in depth analysis of his ability or potential (like you did for Harding).  All righty then.
    « Last Edit: Today at 12:38:59 AM by Bigoherd »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #548 on: Today at 05:46:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh.  Now I got it.  So you have NOT seen either Moore or Harding play.  But you have watched some video of Harding and determined he is slow and awkward.  You obviously have not watched any videos of Moore since you have no in depth analysis of his ability or potential (like you did for Harding).  All righty then.

And I said I had no idea about Moore numbnuts!!!! I said I heard he was athletic and could shoot. It was also fact that Alabama was recruiting him before his injury. Moore also had other offers besides SC Upstate. Maybe you should learn to read before opening mouth.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #549 on: Today at 07:23:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will wait until basketball season starts to see if the two freshmen will contribute. I have gotten to the point where I take the practice posts about the players with a grain of salt. Remember these players were Dan's recruits and we all know that has been a mixed bag of talent. Films of players on the internet are produced to make the players look exceptional. Some players slip between the cracks, but their college offers are usually a good reference point on their ability.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #549 on: Today at 07:23:37 AM »