Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 40799 times)

Online MUfan08

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #575 on: July 04, 2024, 10:20:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be nice if Marshall will update their roster with all the new faces. By my count, there are 8 recruits added: 5 transfers and 3 HS.

Typically Herdzone removes people that leave the program, but adding new players usually occurs once the fall semester starts.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, Always THE HERD, Buffalo Bop, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #575 on: July 04, 2024, 10:20:32 AM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #576 on: July 04, 2024, 10:54:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to do better...

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2024, 04:05:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nm
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 04:07:16 PM by carolinaherdfan »

Online MUfan08

« Reply #578 on: July 09, 2024, 09:54:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-drive-with-paul-swann/id954031416?i=1000660965258

Here is Corny's interview last week with Paul Swann.

Talking about recruits and summer practices.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Offline MUonium

« Reply #579 on: July 09, 2024, 11:34:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-drive-with-paul-swann/id954031416?i=1000660965258
    Here is Corny's interview last week with Paul Swann. Talking about recruits and summer practices.

i can't recall any useful information gleamed from that interview except the repetitive "high character" players, everybody is competitive and everybody is working hard. 
    i'm not the kind of person to try to find the negative just for the sake of it but i'm disappointed that CJ didn't at least provide a couple of interesting details about every player. 
    why not at least repeat/talk a bit about the OOC opponents that everybody knows about so far, especially any future opponent that media has already reported about?

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Always THE HERD

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #580 on: July 09, 2024, 12:15:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i can't recall any useful information gleamed from that interview except the repetitive "high character" players, everybody is competitive and everybody is working hard. 
    i'm not the kind of person to try to find the negative just for the sake of it but i'm disappointed that CJ didn't at least provide a couple of interesting details about every player. 
    why not at least repeat/talk a bit about the OOC opponents that everybody knows about so far, especially any future opponent that media has already reported about?
    I agree with this post; and the Swann podcast has some things to be desired as well.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #581 on: July 09, 2024, 01:06:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone else concerned about front court depth behind Martin and Obinna? 

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #582 on: July 09, 2024, 01:41:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone else concerned about front court depth behind Martin and Obinna?

Not really. If we are playing a top program then maybe. But not at all in the SB fricks will alternate in with Obinna and Martin. If need be they can go one big and a gibb, Dawson and 2 guards.

Offline herdyouweresaying

« Reply #583 on: July 09, 2024, 02:54:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not in Huntington, but a friend in town said that the strength and speed coach left Marshall to work with Elon College womens basketball team, are they still doing strength and speed work this summer? I was looking on HerdZone and couldn't find anyone that was listed with basketball in that department

Offline svherd

« Reply #584 on: July 09, 2024, 03:23:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not really. If we are playing a top program then maybe. But not at all in the SB fricks will alternate in with Obinna and Martin. If need be they can go one big and a gibb, Dawson and 2 guards.

Not sold on Fricks. He's got to become much more consistent to help us all season long.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, scope58

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #585 on: July 09, 2024, 03:24:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #586 on: July 09, 2024, 03:30:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sold on Fricks. He's got to become much more consistent to help us all season long.

I agree with that. But we needed guards guards and more guards. Fricks will be fine filling in for Oak and Martin. And like I said there is nothing wrong with going with one big and 4 guards at times if need be. I like the makeup of this team and the athleticism that CJ has brought in. Just depends on how they mesh imo. And this team has the potential to be way better defensively than we have seen over the last 10 years.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

HerdFans.com

« Reply #586 on: July 09, 2024, 03:30:31 PM »

Offline scope58

« Reply #587 on: July 09, 2024, 03:31:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sold on Fricks. He's got to become much more consistent to help us all season long.
    On both ends of the floor.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline scope58

« Reply #588 on: July 09, 2024, 03:36:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with that. But we needed guards guards and more guards. Fricks will be fine filling in for Oak and Martin. And like I said there is nothing wrong with going with one big and 4 guards at times if need be. I like the makeup of this team and the athleticism that CJ has brought in. Just depends on how they mesh imo. And this team has the potential to be way better defensively than we have seen over the last 10 years.
    I hope so bust. I know you like Obinna more than i do. He has to be a consistent rebounder this year. Also has to tighten his D. I don?t think he will be out there popping 3?s like last season So his game will be important in the paint.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #589 on: July 09, 2024, 03:42:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope so bust. I know you like Obinna more than i do. He has to be a consistent rebounder this year. Also has to tighten his D. I don?t think he will be out there popping 3?s like last season So his game will be important in the paint.

Danny created Obinna's bad habits. Obinna is lightning quick for his size and can cover a huge amount of ground. He just needs used properly and I think Corny will. You aren't going to get rebounds when you are allowed to run around 20 feet from the basket. Him and A healthy Martin are going to be hard for SB teams to deal with. I don't think this team will be undisciplined like they have been. I think Corny will let them play but he will bring some structure to his system and won't stand with arms crossed for 40 minutes letting guys play out of control and how they want. Jmo!!

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #590 on: July 09, 2024, 04:05:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And like I said there is nothing wrong with going with one big and 4 guards at times if need be.

I'm no expert, but it seems like that's what the best college teams have been doing.

FAU had the big Russian getting boards and protecting the paint while 4 quick guards ranging from 6'0 to 6'4 did everything else. UConn had a 6'8 forward in Karaban to compliment the 7'2 Clingan, but Karaban often played like a guard along with their other three starters.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #591 on: July 09, 2024, 06:50:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm no expert, but it seems like that's what the best college teams have been doing.

FAU had the big Russian getting boards and protecting the paint while 4 quick guards ranging from 6'0 to 6'4 did everything else. UConn had a 6'8 forward in Karaban to compliment the 7'2 Clingan, but Karaban often played like a guard along with their other three starters.

Yes and remember that is how Loyola Chicago made it to the championship game a few year ago. They had a raw 6''8" freshman at center and the rest of the team was 6'-6'4". One big in the middle and speed speed speed that stretch the floor and shoot it. And rebounding is all about position and the will to want it. That can be coached!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online wesnky

« Reply #592 on: July 09, 2024, 07:01:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not in Huntington, but a friend in town said that the strength and speed coach left Marshall to work with Elon College womens basketball team, are they still doing strength and speed work this summer? I was looking on HerdZone and couldn't find anyone that was listed with basketball in that department

With the results that DD and the strength coach did in the past years , they deserve a woman's coaching job.  Not that there is anything wrong with being in a woman's program.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #593 on: July 09, 2024, 07:05:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Yes and remember that is how Loyola Chicago made it to the championship game a few year ago. They had a raw 6''8" freshman at center and the rest of the team was 6'-6'4". One big in the middle and speed speed speed that stretch the floor and shoot it. And rebounding is all about position and the will to want it. That can be coached!!

"I got most of my rebounds before the shot was taken." - Bill Russell
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, svherd, herdorbust2

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #594 on: July 09, 2024, 07:49:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With the results that DD and the strength coach did in the past years , they deserve a woman's coaching job.  Not that there is anything wrong with being in a woman's program.

Yea if this was DD's strength coach it's no loss lol

Fricks should live in the weight room. He could be a good player if he started banging and has nice touch closer in.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #595 on: July 09, 2024, 09:41:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i can't recall any useful information gleamed from that interview except the repetitive "high character" players, everybody is competitive and everybody is working hard. 

Nothing at all wrong with being high character.  Perhaps we can dominate a church league someday.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #596 on: July 10, 2024, 09:43:46 AM »

Offline Herdhoopsfan

« Reply #597 on: July 12, 2024, 06:21:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny created Obinna's bad habits. Obinna is lightning quick for his size and can cover a huge amount of ground. He just needs used properly and I think Corny will. You aren't going to get rebounds when you are allowed to run around 20 feet from the basket. Him and A healthy Martin are going to be hard for SB teams to deal with. I don't think this team will be undisciplined like they have been. I think Corny will let them play but he will bring some structure to his system and won't stand with arms crossed for 40 minutes letting guys play out of control and how they want. Jmo!!

Agree with all this.  If you don?t know, Martin was injured in the first exhibition game of the season last year and played the entire season with a partially torn up shoulder.  Couldn?t raise his arm without pain starting in conference.  He had surgery and will be back 100% healthy. 

I expect Obinna and Martin to be the best front court in the conference this year.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, lexkyherdfan, herdfan93, Buffalo Bop, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #598 on: July 12, 2024, 07:21:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree with all this.  If you don?t know, Martin was injured in the first exhibition game of the season last year and played the entire season with a partially torn up shoulder.  Couldn?t raise his arm without pain starting in conference.  He had surgery and will be back 100% healthy. 

I expect Obinna and Martin to be the best front court in the conference this year.

Yes a lot of people don't know Martin played all year injured. With a healthy Martin and a more disciplined Obinna closer to the basket gave Corny a very good base to build from. If Speer, Mingo the 2 Gibbs and Dawson are all productive then this team can be pretty darn good and especially by conference time. I look for a tougher team, more in your face defensive team and a better rebounding team. Don't think that Corny didn't see the same things the fans saw. Which was a good system that spread the floor and got shots but a team that was never challenged enough defensively or toughness and rebounding. He will be much more involved in getting those things corrected.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, coalherd

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #599 on: July 12, 2024, 08:55:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fricks & Spears are sleepers on this team

HerdFans.com

« Reply #599 on: July 12, 2024, 08:55:15 PM »