Author Topic: Women's Basketball: Any Updates With Coach Juli's Program?  (Read 8275 times)

Offline parshall2marshall

Re: Women's Basketball: Any Updates With Coach Juli's Program?
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2024, 05:12:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Besides a family health issue causing her to stay closer to home, looks like Juli has recruited her for awhile

https://x.com/sophialdridge3/status/1661141793625485312

Can use her left hand, but prefers her R.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2024, 05:12:08 PM »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2024, 07:03:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This staff def recruiting.  They know what great year(s) at MU can do for their coaching trajectory

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #77 on: June 01, 2024, 10:57:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty sure Jayda Allie from Cabell Midland was a walk-on last year. I assume that's still the case based on this signing.
    Both Allie and Ziolkowski were walk ins last year.  I believe Ziolkowski has been one for 3 years.
    Allie and Aldridge have played together since middle school.  While she is a year older, Allie has always been the better of the two on those teams. 

If we are one over scholarship, then my best guess is that Ziolkowski is the walk-on.  I?d assume that based on their HS career that Allie would be put on scholarship before Aldridge. 
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 12:08:04 AM by MUtim »

The following users thanked this post: chris88, MUonium

Offline chris88

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2024, 06:31:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest roster concern is Abby, Bree, and A. Hayes could all create their own shot and/or draw the defense and dish. Who is going to do that now besides A. Hayes? Maybe CC? Who else?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2024, 10:10:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest roster concern is Abby, Bree, and A. Hayes could all create their own shot and/or draw the defense and dish. Who is going to do that now besides A. Hayes? Maybe CC? Who else?

That is why I asked who will replace Beeman or Campbell? Who can put it on the floor and create? Seems both our men and woman are in the same pickle at this time.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2024, 10:25:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is why I asked who will replace Beeman or Campbell? Who can put it on the floor and create? Seems both our men and woman are in the same pickle at this time.

No cause for concern in my book. A guard committee of :

Aislynn Hayes
    Timberlynn Yeast
    Kassie Ingram
    Sophi Aldridge

With proven, improving reserves in:

CC Mays
    Alasia Hayes
    Peyton Ilderton

should be more than adequate at G. Plus, our philosophy may well turn out to often be one of pounding it inside with Ace and the new bigs.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2024, 11:17:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No cause for concern in my book. A guard committee of :

Aislynn Hayes
    Timberlynn Yeast
    Kassie Ingram
    Sophi Aldridge

CC Mays
    Alasia Hayes
    Peyton Ilderton

should be more than adequate at G. Plus, our philosophy may well turn out to often be one of pounding it inside with Ace and the new bigs.

I just don't see any playmakers that can replace Beeman or Campbell. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a replacement for a true PG. we are going to miss those 2 way more than people think.

Offline Daherdboy

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2024, 11:41:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Timberlynn Yeast should fill that role very nicely.
    Very good ball handler and (as they say) quick as a minute.
    I haven't seen her shoot the ball as of yet, but in high school she could fill it up.
    Retired 10 years early to follow Herd sports.
    Those 10 years have been marvelous.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, MUonium

Offline MUonium

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2024, 11:41:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No cause for concern in my book. A guard committee of :

Aislynn Hayes
    Timberlynn Yeast
    Kassie Ingram
    Sophi Aldridge

CC Mays
    Alasia Hayes
    Peyton Ilderton

i think it can be done by committee with the roster (so far).  is the recruiting over for this season-  what's the legal or practical roster limit beyond 15 scholarships?  perhaps a bit lower scoring but at the same time, scoring more points than your opponents (defense and relentlessness in all phases)?

my perception is, based on few facts at this time, Fulks takes a very thorough/cerebral approach to the game while placing a high priority on the welfare of the player/person.  players want to play for a coach like that as they did for Caldwell (in her own collective way).  therefore, it's possible Fulks gets the utmost out of them, veteran or newcomer might contribute in unexpected ways or level of play. 

at face value, it certainly looks like rebounding could be better than last years team.  if a higher number of those rebounds are offensive that create more 2nd and 3rd chance scoring then we might see a different team offensive dynamic.  i'm not concerned about ball handling or transitioning from one end to the other since Caldwell showed a relatively high standard for the program to continue using and improving. 

but yes, scoring is the most important unknown, whether it be via individual scoring or assisting others (creating good looks at the basket)

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2024, 11:48:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeast would be fastest women on MU track team.  Mu bb never had a player this fast. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Daherdboy

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2024, 12:06:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quickness is how Campbell got past her defender last year into the middle of the paint to either hit a short jumper, pass off to an open teammate, or drive in for a quick layup. 

I believe Yeast is the same type of player.  It will be interesting watching how she plays in practice.
    Retired 10 years early to follow Herd sports.
    Those 10 years have been marvelous.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2024, 12:53:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She might be far quicker than campbell as well.  Plus it?s a Caldwell recruit.  I?m thinking that?s a great thing

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2024, 12:53:01 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2024, 12:55:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeast would be fastest women on MU track team.  Mu bb never had a player this fast.

But isn't yeast a freshman or RS freshman? Campbell and Beeman both had tons of game experience. Yeast no doubt will end up a very good player but experience is huge. You just can't replace experience.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2024, 01:34:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Put Yeast on a track scholarship.  Then walkon bb.  Free up another scholarship and then she can do outdoor track for Herd.  They need her.  Yeast is 5.9?

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Online svherd

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2024, 03:01:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But isn't yeast a freshman or RS freshman? Campbell and Beeman both had tons of game experience. Yeast no doubt will end up a very good player but experience is huge. You just can't replace experience.

Gotta give Fulks a year to get settled. Be hard to replicate last year for any school given the current landscape.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2024, 04:38:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gotta give Fulks a year to get settled. Be hard to replicate last year for any school given the current landscape.

Agree. But those that think we are fine without a quick playing PG are delusional. Committee doesn't work. It just means you have a few that are t as good as one.

Offline chris88

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2024, 08:03:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be interesting. Looking around league at graduations and defections I still think we'll be one of top four in league/top 100 NET.

We won't play as fast or substitute as much so we'll have to beat teams in a more traditional way than wearing them down.  That said, we'll put a premium on defense, rebounding, shooting the three, and general efficiency. Our extra possessions won't come in same way as full court press the entire game but likely to be more from limiting other teams chances with good defense and rebounding and getting more offensive rebounds. When coach Juli won it all at D3 they had a tall girl in the middle who was a great player. Players coming in will definitely have to shoot FTs better than they did at other places with one at 40% and a couple of others around 50% or so.

Side Note: I think the late addition of Aldridge was after the player from Parkersburg chose California PA over Marshall. She said things changed for her when Caldwell left but still had MU in her top two.  I think coach Juli was going to honor the offer Coach Caldwell gave her. Good article on Aldridge in HD. She called coach Juli and told her MU was her dream school. She missed most of her SR year with an ankle injury after being HM ALL State as a junior. Since the rotation won't likely be as deep, we may see a couple of RS.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, MUonium, MicDrass1

Online GoHerd35

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2024, 02:42:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • « Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 02:43:40 PM by GoHerd35 »

Offline chris88

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2024, 04:52:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Online MUfan08

Offline IM4DHERD

Make a difference...Join the Big Green

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2024, 11:38:26 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2024, 11:58:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't she play at Tennessee tech last year? It say 0.5 points a game last year. She was all American at D3 but didn't seem to transition well to D1.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2024, 12:10:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't she play at Tennessee tech last year? It say 0.5 points a game last year. She was all American at D3 but didn't seem to transition well to D1.

yeah, she only played in 16 of 32 games but spread out over the whole season.  perhaps she had a nagging health issue?  it seems to me that she was just too good in HS and JUCO to not be a contributor at Tech's/our level.  but i didn't nor am i interested in digging very deep!

Online MUfan08

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2024, 12:32:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall University Women's Basketball head coach Juli Fulks announced the signing of one of her former standout student-athletes at Transylvania, Maddie Kellione.

Kellione is a graduate transfer from Tennessee Tech, but prior to last season with the Golden Eagles, she starred under Fulks leading Transylvania to its perfect 33-0 season in 2022-23.

"Maddie provides depth at the guard position with an ability to stretch the defense with deep 3's and an ability to create for her teammates on offense," Coach Fulks said.

In three seasons with Transy, Kellione averaged over 15 points per game with 1,233 points and 300 assists. She was named the NCAA Division III Championship Most Valuable Player in 2023 and was a WBCA First Team All-American.

She also earned the NCAA's Elite 90 Award that spring, which recognizes the student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average who reaches the championship for each of the NCAA's 90 men's and women's sports across Division I, II and III.

The Cynthiana, Kentucky native was a candidate for the 2019 KABC Miss Kentucky Basketball.

https://herdzone.com/news/2024/6/12/womens-basketball-herd-womens-hoops-signs-2023-diii-mvp-madison-kellione?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3GUGa2SeBfo3CSzTaRmkF-0goaNFePB9KUkgb3rhcbBywhZJsMEmbFN0k_aem_AV1stcWIcEQxg7Q9HpKTUu0WaLXPCUbhsoWBOTbOGWnsajDuE4wVlUy9cxv_-jdTQXIpXl8ansoGLigtjhX04OdK

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2024, 12:32:27 PM »