Author Topic: Marshall vs WVU Football Poll  (Read 3738 times)

Offline HerdEcon

Marshall vs WVU Football Poll
« on: May 14, 2024, 01:46:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recently the game seems to be getting less resistance and subtle support from WVU, perhaps due to travel costs and scheduling issues.

https://hailwv.com/posts/to-play-or-not-to-play-should-west-virginia-marshall-play-a-home-and-home-football-series-01hxt5rfc6z3

HerdFans.com

Marshall vs WVU Football Poll
    « on: May 14, 2024, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline herd2win

Re: Marshall vs WVU Football Poll
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 01:55:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe we should play and I am ok with a 2 for 1 deal. 

The following users thanked this post: chris88, THECHAMPISHERE

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 02:30:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do not have a problem with a 2 for 1 deal either. 3 for 1 is a little much for me. It is certainly more entertaining than playing Albany or Hofstra at home.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 02:40:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That one off game up there we need to be paid going rates other P5s pay. They screwed us royally last series.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, ed swain, Echo 5

Offline chris88

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 02:48:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That one off game up there we need to be paid going rates other P5s pay. They screwed us royally last series.

how about 500k + revenue for any tickets we sell up to 10k (@$50 each that would be another 500k)+ split any TV revenue
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 03:36:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am all for a 1-1-1 which seems fair to me...they play one here, we play one there and we play an additional game in Morgantown for which we are paid what any other visiting school would be paid. They can sell it to their fan base as a 2-1, but we don't have to absorb all the downside and they get an additional game for what they would pay Kent or Troy.

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 04:02:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First game needs to be played in Huntington. Don't let them "pull the wool" over MU's eyes.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman

Offline ed swain

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 04:51:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No more kissing their butts 1 for 1 or forget it.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, Always THE HERD, Gaylen, Echo 5

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 07:00:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't play them in anything. I guess we don't have a choice in soccer. 
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE

Offline MUther

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 08:08:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No more kissing their butts 1 for 1 or forget it.

Exactly.  We can sell out each other's stadium, so we should.  Be nice to see them pull the tarps off the Joan and rock that place every other year.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, Flat Tire 2

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 08:18:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • how about 500k + revenue for any tickets we sell up to 10k (@$50 each that would be another 500k)+ split any TV revenue
    they would never do it.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 08:23:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We don?t need this game, so anything other than a 1 for 1 is not acceptable.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, Always THE HERD, herddds, ed swain, Gaylen, Echo 5

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 08:23:59 PM »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 09:59:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd be okay with a single 2-for-1, but that's too lopsided to continue doing indefinitely.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 10:33:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For starters, WVU plays NINE conference games yearly in the Big 12.  Under prior, and I am sure the current AD, their philosophy when it comes to OOC scheduling was to play a POWER foe yearly, which usually meant a home and home deal.  Then, the priority was/is to schedule home games yearly with a G5 foe and a FCS foe.  This would ensure the NEERS of SIX home games minimum in those years  when they played only 4 B12 teams at home, and SEVEN home games at least when they played 5 League games in a season.

MU has OOC openings starting 2025.  We have Power foes on the road in the next few seasons, including OSU, this season, and then Penn State followed by Wisconsin, through the 2027 season.

Hopefully, it won't be too long until we get some info from the Athletic Department concerning the scheduling efforts, and results, of AD Spears and staff.  I hope in trying to get name/Power(?) foes to come to Huntington, that Mr. Spears concentrates on schools like VA Tech, NC State, Cincy, Louisville, etc., who have been willing to play in H-town in the past and who are really not that far from the City in terms of travel.  Would also like to see some new opponents, perhaps Indiana U., maybe Wake Forest, UVA, who also are not all that far away from MU.  Maybe even Purdue, another Big 10 school we have a "history" with!  Since Spears was previously at Pitt, I'd hope he approaches that school, perhaps even offer them a 2-1 deal, which would give HERD fans "easy" travel to play a Big 10 school in a NFL venue!!  Hopefully, Spears tries to involve basketball games in such dealings, like say with Pitt give them a offer that includes home and home games with the HERD in BASKETBALL!!  Same applies to Tech; trying for, say, a 4-game series with perhaps home and home games and 2 neutral games, one in Roanoke and one in Charleston!!  Got to think outside the box in terms of scheduling when you're at a school like MU, IMO!!
    « Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 10:34:57 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2024, 08:24:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly.  We can sell out each other's stadium, so we should.  Be nice to see them pull the tarps off the Joan and rock that place every other year.

Bottom line is the that the two of the three largest crowds at the Joan were games with wvu. I am sure the HTS business community would love the revenue the game brings to town. For those of you who object, come up with plan for Marshall to get an alternative way to get that type of revenue unless you plan on writing a check to Marshall? VA Tech didn't fill up the place and I doubt if you ever see UL or Purdue return to the Joan.

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2024, 08:24:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd be fine with a 1-1, 2-1 or play only in Morgantown for a reasonable/fair fee.

Take any opportunity we can to finally beat them on the football field.

And I'd also like to see the basketball games start up again. And play them home and home (Coliseum and the Cam).

Perhaps with both Huggins and Dantoni gone, there may be a clearer avenue for that to happen.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2024, 08:28:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should be paid the going rate for a Top G5 opponent.  What I never understood is why the state doesn?t mandate it.  Both schools get state funds and WVU is shipping tax payer dollars out of state.

Offline Big City

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2024, 08:58:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes the schools should compete in all sports and Marshall should honor a 2-1 or even 3-1 in football. Basketball, as we have seen should be played in Charleston or rotate basketball between Charleston, Morgantown and Huntington. I do agree that Marshall should be fairly compensated for trips to play in Morgantown, let's not take the cheap way out WVU.  It's simply ridiculous to see WVU and Marshall schedule IAA or MAC instead of playing each other when it comes to football.

Need to look at exposure for both programs and what's best for the state. This is a great opportunity to build something over several years of consistency into national exposure in sports across the board. The state needs positive coverage.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2024, 09:10:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just let the northerners and PA and NJ losers be. We don't need to deal with their arrogant Non sense

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, Always THE HERD, ed swain

Offline herdman22

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2024, 09:34:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder if the basketball series will be revived now that Huggy is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2024, 09:52:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder if the basketball series will be revived now that Huggy is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually hope it doesn't. We can't compete with them now. Have you seen the roster reveries has put together and what we are doing? It's a different world now and they can compete and their administration expects it. Ours does not.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2024, 10:16:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • at least regarding the FB series, wren baker went on record a few months back saying they won't be making any trips to huntington.  believe i saw that in a metronews article on wvu FB scheduling.  apparently he doesn't mind sending the baseball team down here, but i guess FB is a different story. 🙄

meanwhile, they're playing in Athens in '25 -- a 2:1 where OU gets the FIRST game at home.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2024, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2024, 10:20:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m in the 1-1 camp.  Let?s be honest here, we have taken a lot of crap from their fans, coaches and administrators.  There is literally no reason to kiss their butts and give in.  Texas, Oklahoma and many other schools had to play in their small stadium.   They are not as large a program as they think and they can play Rhode island and whoever and not complain about sos.  They can play us for a 1-1 or screw off.  JMO

P.S.  Some of our fans kill me with this woe is me, poor lil Marshall crap(if it offends you then your guilty). If your scared, get a dog.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, HerdFanJ, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, ed swain, Gaylen, Echo 5, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2024, 03:02:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean what's the point in playing them honestly in football or basketball? You don't see Ohio state doing home and homes with Ohio. Like it's pointless. What's the benefit ? so if we do beat them finally that we pound our chest for a couple weeks until we lose to bowling green? Just let the jerk offs up there feel important being mediocre in their own conference.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2024, 04:38:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about Tn,Kentucky,Va, Va Tech,Wake Forest,ECU,UNC,Maryland, just move on up to P5 which could be in our future!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2024, 04:38:30 PM »