Author Topic: Marshall vs WVU Football Poll  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Big City

Re: Marshall vs WVU Football Poll
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2024, 04:53:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Until Marshall strings a few football wins together, there is zero negotiation when it comes to the series. If you want it, take what you can get. Earn the ability to negotiate with some wins and get a better position when it comes to home and away.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: NewfieHerdFan, svherd, Johns1124, HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2024, 04:53:17 PM »

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2024, 07:33:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2 for 1 contract or nothing!  We schedule just fine without the WPU.  They can kick rocks if a 2 for 1 isn't good enough for them!

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #27 on: May 15, 2024, 10:15:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wanted this game for 30 years.  I was always pissed that the bulk of the games were played when they had Pat White and we had scholarships taken away.   Everytime we played it felt like they had an NFL QB ( Bulger, White, Geno Smith) and I use to argue that they were fortunate that the games always fell on them when they were peaking and if we played every year.  We would already have beaten them.

I haven?t worked in WV for a decade and I?m no longer around their fans and being in another state along with them getting their ass kicked for a decade in the Big 2, has shown me how very little they matter in the college football world.

I would make no special concessions to work a deal.   Remember they are the ones that are 100 million in the red and could use an annual sell out game.
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:18:11 PM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, HerdEcon

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2024, 08:41:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Until Marshall strings a few football wins together, there is zero negotiation when it comes to the series. If you want it, take what you can get. Earn the ability to negotiate with some wins and get a better position when it comes to home and away.

Exactly. I'd wager most fans would like to see us play them again. We had numerous times within the series to beat them and we didn't. (Ugh...I won't even go into the infamous Doc choke game that cost us a win). Big City is correct that we don't have much leverage in negotiations. If they're willing to play us in Morgantown, do it, IMO. Beating them in their own stadium, Like Notre Dame, would be sooooo satisfying.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2024, 09:21:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about Tn,Kentucky,Va, Va Tech,Wake Forest,ECU,UNC,Maryland, just move on up to P5 which could be in our future!

This has the chance to happen in the year 2074.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #30 on: May 16, 2024, 01:38:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn?t do a 2-1, no chance.  You know they bigtime us, so I?d offer, a 3-2 or a 4-3, with 1.5 million dollar buyouts.  Otherwise they can continue to pad their record with the North Scranton State?s of the world.

Offline svherd

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2024, 02:46:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd prefer to get our football program back on track and then entertain the idea. We have a lot of work to do. Jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, HerdEcon, ed swain

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #32 on: May 16, 2024, 05:03:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Until Marshall strings a few football wins together, there is zero negotiation when it comes to the series.

Winning has the absolute opposite effect on getting a series with WVU. The only series they signed with us was when we were at the weakest we've been in recent history and they were at their strongest.

Offline Big City

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2024, 05:09:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Winning has the absolute opposite effect on getting a series with WVU. The only series they signed with us was when we were at the weakest we've been in recent history and they were at their strongest.

Wait... didn't the governor force the series you are referring to?
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2024, 06:34:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wait... didn't the governor force the series you are referring to?
    Yes.  They didn't even like that great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2024, 11:16:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Winning has the absolute opposite effect on getting a series with WVU. The only series they signed with us was when we were at the weakest we've been in recent history and they were at their strongest.

Eh, it turned out to be the absolute worst timing for us, but nobody knew how bad of a mismatch it was going to be when it was signed in May 2005. Mark Snyder had yet to coach a game, and Pat White and Steve Slaton had yet to play a game.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2024, 02:51:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will say this ?
    I will NEVER go up there EVER again

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, diamante

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2024, 02:51:11 AM »

Offline CharlestonHerdGuy

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2024, 05:37:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't agree with playing anyone less than 1 for 1, but if we're going to do it, treat them the same as any other opponent. If they want 2 for 1, they pay 1.2 to 1.5 million for the extra game.

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, svherd, MUinDE, muherd34

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2024, 08:26:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't agree with playing anyone less than 1 for 1, but if we're going to do it, treat them the same as any other opponent. If they want 2 for 1, they pay 1.2 to 1.5 million for the extra game.
    There are ways to make it work financially and they should pay more than last series for any not returned (money games).  Demanding a crazy high payout like schools with 100 thousand seats pay would be a bad move.  This ticket can be premium cost, can leverage mini pak or season ticket sales and the game has low travel costs.  There should be a way there if s enough value that we both make out well.  The game is way more valuable to us and season ticket sales.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, chris88, GreenDaddy

Offline MUther

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2024, 08:36:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are ways to make it work financially and they should pay more than last series for any not returned (money games).  Demanding a crazy high payout like schools with 100 thousand seats pay would be a bad move.  This ticket can be premium cost, can leverage mini pak or season ticket sales and the game has low travel costs.  There should be a way there if s enough value that we both make out well.  The game is way more valuable to us and season ticket sales.

Make tickets when they come here available to only season ticket holders so they have to fund our season to see the game.

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2024, 08:21:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are ways to make it work financially and they should pay more than last series for any not returned (money games).  Demanding a crazy high payout like schools with 100 thousand seats pay would be a bad move.  This ticket can be premium cost, can leverage mini pak or season ticket sales and the game has low travel costs.  There should be a way there if s enough value that we both make out well.  The game is way more valuable to us and season ticket sales.

I'm just not sure I like this game. We have a better chance of beating much bigger and better teams like Notre Dame just simply because WVU is going to be much more motivated. They say it's our Super Bowl, but I think that works both ways. I think they are just as terrified of losing to us as we want to beat them. I could be wrong. Don't like two for ones or one and dones, but I was wrong on the Notre Dame game. In hindsight, i'm glad we did that one. I think we should seek out one or two one for ones a year with P5 programs. I'm sure they're tough to get, but they're doable.

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2024, 04:56:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the 1-1-1

Just play the game and get on with it. Eventually Marshall will win a game. The sun will rise the next day.

GS.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2024, 12:37:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 334 votes...  56% in favor of the game returning.  Considering the website conducting the poll claims to be a pro WVU sports website, I was a bit surprised that most of the voters said to play the game. 

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2024, 07:52:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1-1-1 with an away game at a neutral site like Charlotte?s Carolina Pathers Stadium. We play on Saturday evening followed up Sunday with an NFL game win win for fans of both!

Offline Sir Herd

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2024, 09:38:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to focus on becoming a SBC powerhouse before we worry about playing them at their place, at home, or anywhere else. FWIW, I don't much care if we do or not.

Not in the mood for their arrogant(For some reason) fans to be smug towards Herd Nation because they beat us(Though they haven't been relevant since Patricia White was QB).

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #45 on: May 21, 2024, 01:10:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah I took a look at the original article and I knew it would piss me off.  The argument that they are 12-0 against us and the games are none competitive, just illustrates their insecurities. Of course they have some decent fans, but they have to lead the entire nation in percentage of absolute morons per fanbase.

They just don?t want it ever lose to us and to be 12-1 or 15-5, because their backwards hillbilly fans think that makes them better than a Marshall fan, because they ?Picked? a team that has a better record in head to head competition in one sport.

I have said that if we would have beaten them once, we?d play every single year. 

By that retarded logic anyone of us could ?pick? to be Penn State fan and be better than them, because Penn State beat them in football for like 20 years in a row, then there was a tie game and then Penn State beat them like 15 more years in a row.   I?m going off memory but I m pretty sure Pitt has beaten them at least 10 years in a row and I?m thinking it?s closer to 14 or 15 years in a row.

Even though they deny this reality, other than Major Harris?s team, we played them at the absolute peak of success, in their program?s history, with Pat White and Slaton. 

If we get the game great, if not great.  If anyone could facilitate it, it would be Brad Smith.  He is on another level of leadership.
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 06:07:51 AM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2024, 06:20:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What kind of deal did they work out with Ohio to play in Athens in 2025?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2024, 06:20:52 AM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2024, 10:51:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What kind of deal did they work out with Ohio to play in Athens in 2025?

It looks like a 2 for 1 to played in 2025, 2027 & 2029. They are playing the first in Athens and then two in Morgantown.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, CharlestonHerdGuy

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2024, 11:56:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It looks like a 2 for 1 to played in 2025, 2027 & 2029. They are playing the first in Athens and then two in Morgantown.

I'd be down for a deal like that as long as the money is right. We should be seeking 2 for 1s with schools like WVU, UK, and Pitt ect.

Offline Sir Herd

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2024, 12:54:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd be down for a deal like that as long as the money is right. We should be seeking 2 for 1s with schools like WVU, UK, and Pitt ect.

Even a home and home with say a Cincy or Louisville would be reasonable imo and be some good competition.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2024, 12:54:10 PM »