Author Topic: Charles Huff  (Read 11517 times)

Online svherd

Re: Charles Huff
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2024, 08:39:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way in hell Brad Lambert beats Notre Dame.  Hell, people kept D'antoni around 6 more seasons simply for beating Wichita.  Beating Notre Dame @ Notre Dame is 100 times the better win.  We might not be getting SBC titles, but we are getting wins to hang our hats on.  Could be a lot worse.  Could get neither, like the 15 years before Huff -1 all star season.

Yep. Seems like a few people would still want KO as our AD as well. LOL!
     Some don't take change very well, especially when your buddy in the AD doesn't really care how you run the program or if you're progressing.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUther

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2024, 08:39:25 AM »

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2024, 10:19:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way in hell Brad Lambert beats Notre Dame.  Hell, people kept D'antoni around 6 more seasons simply for beating Wichita.  Beating Notre Dame @ Notre Dame is 100 times the better win.  We might not be getting SBC titles, but we are getting wins to hang our hats on.  Could be a lot worse.  Could get neither, like the 15 years before Huff -1 all star season.

maybe,  maybe not, but he sure would have beaten BG and Troy!! now you are 3-1 not 2-2!

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online 2xBison

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2024, 10:20:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lambert was 22-48 as a head coach in his six years at UNCC. When he was replaced at UNCC, the new coach pulled a Parrish and had a winning season in his first year. I don't think the majority of fans would have accepted Lambert as head coach. Hamrick was terrible at picking coaches at his many stops as an AD.
    Majority of fans would not have been happy with Lambert hire and most were happy with Huff hire.  Fans are wrong most of time.  Discussing Lamberts record at Charlotte with out mentioning it was a start up program quickly transitioning to D1 is silly too.  My guess is he would have done well here and certainly would have at least been better than Huff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, Big City, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2024, 11:16:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • maybe,  maybe not, but he sure would have beaten BG and Troy!! now you are 3-1 not 2-2!

Really? Like he beat start up Charlotte at home? He had the worst losses ever at the Joan. Don't even go there because Doc had a much easier schedule and still managed to lose some of those cupcakes. And Doc never gave us a win like Huff did at ND. To go into South Bend and beat ND is historic.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2024, 11:57:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Really? Like he beat start up Charlotte at home? He had the worst losses ever at the Joan. Don't even go there because Doc had a much easier schedule and still managed to lose some of those cupcakes. And Doc never gave us a win like Huff did at ND. To go into South Bend and beat ND is historic.

i think he was talking about lambert, not doc

The following users thanked this post: s1uggo

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2024, 01:01:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Majority of fans would not have been happy with Lambert hire and most were happy with Huff hire.  Fans are wrong most of time.  Discussing Lamberts record at Charlotte with out mentioning it was a start up program quickly transitioning to D1 is silly too.  My guess is he would have done well here and certainly would have at least been better than Huff.

His first two years he played against mostly D2 and a couple of 1-AA teams. His sixth and next to last year at UNCC he was 1-11 which is not showing progress. He was fired after the next year. There is nothing in his record to show he would have been a good coach. Since the next coach came in had a winning season, it appears that he had some players, but he couldn't coach.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Charlotte_49ers_football_team

I have met Brad and I think he is a nice guy. Some assistant coaches are not meant to be a head coach. I am skeptical of Huff, but he did give Marshall its biggest football victory. For older Herd fans like myself who started following The Herd when Charlie Snyder was the head coach in the 1960's, no one would have ever expected MU to go to South Bend and win the game on national TV.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2024, 01:15:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know it is slow with posters are arguing whether Huff or Doc is/was the worse coach.  One thing for certain, the fact that it is even being discussed is an indictment of both coaches.  Doc has coached his last game so his story is written.  I'm still holding out hope that Huff will turn things around and his story will have a happy ending for Huff and Marshall. 

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, MUther, overherd1

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2024, 01:16:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• i think he was talking about lambert, not doc

That's even worse. He got fired at Charlotte and didn't improve that program. Lambert was Doc 2.0.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2024, 04:19:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Steamrolled by a D3

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #84 on: May 31, 2024, 04:39:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • maybe,  maybe not, but he sure would have beaten BG and Troy!! now you are 3-1 not 2-2!

I really think you have to lay the blame at BG on the players. They were in positions to make plays and they didn't.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2024, 04:57:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really think you have to lay the blame at BG on the players. They were in positions to make plays and they didn't.

Exactly. Didn't Laborn fumble 2-3 times inside the 5 yd line?

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2024, 05:16:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Exactly. Didn't Laborn fumble 2-3 times inside the 5 yd line?
    Sounds like Docs off the hook for the WVU gane

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2024, 05:16:56 PM »

Online svherd

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2024, 05:23:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds like Docs off the hook for the WVU gane
    Nope, Doc coached scared in the 4th, Uber conservative and didn't allow our D to be aggressive. Gino picked us apart. Doc being Doc

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2024, 05:26:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds like Docs off the hook for the WVU gane

Yep but what about the Akron game? WKU 60 point loss at home
    ? Getting shut out at home by rice? Getting beat at home by start up Charlotte? Getting beat by Cincinnati at home by 40 at halftime? And there is plenty more. At least Huff went into South Bend and beat a legendary program on there home field. You don't want to debate me about Doc because you will lose with facts. And not to mention his schedule was much easier than Snyder and Huff.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2024, 08:20:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall's biggest problem with coaches is not knowing when to say "enough, this is never going to work". Dan and Doc are proof of that with the long year contracts.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, MUther, MicDrass1, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MUther

« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2024, 08:59:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My guess is he would have done well here and certainly would have at least been better than Huff.

Like you said, fans are wrong most of the time.  There is zero evidence that Lambert would have been anything other than a friendly, known hire.  Nothing in his coaching history points to success as a head coach.  At the very least Huff was part of a championship culture and used to winning.  I don't know why he can't put together a decent offense and nothing pointed to that at the time of his hiring, but he was hands down the better choice of the two candidates we were allowed to choose from. 

Blasting Navy and the Notre Dame win and this year's beating of VTech, who were no worse than the year they bribed us to play them for bowl eligibility and we lost, are wins that we have not had in our program in a long time.  Sure, we'd like more hardware but it's not like we've gotten nothing for our trouble.  I suppose we could always be 1-1 vs Purdue again, to get through a decade of bad football.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, herdorbust2

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2024, 09:18:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like you said, fans are wrong most of the time.  There is zero evidence that Lambert would have been anything other than a friendly, known hire.  Nothing in his coaching history points to success as a head coach.  At the very least Huff was part of a championship culture and used to winning.  I don't know why he can't put together a decent offense and nothing pointed to that at the time of his hiring, but he was hands down the better choice of the two candidates we were allowed to choose from. 

Blasting Navy and the Notre Dame win and this year's beating of VTech, who were no worse than the year they bribed us to play them for bowl eligibility and we lost, are wins that we have not had in our program in a long time.  Sure, we'd like more hardware but it's not like we've gotten nothing for our trouble.  I suppose we could always be 1-1 vs Purdue again, to get through a decade of bad football.

Huff is Pruett esq against P5 teams.  The Herd played ND as well as any Herd team ever.  They physically destroyed ND.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2024, 09:19:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff is Pruett esq against P5 teams.  The Herd played ND as well as any Herd team ever.  They physically destroyed ND.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2024, 09:25:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well because you were wrong that is why
    Before posting something as fact why not just do a quick search and post the truth
    Maybe it made your post sound better to say mid 30s

You seem to continually try to impose your ideas on other people on the Board. You don't get to decide for me if 38 qualifies for mid-30's or any other nitpick you toss out. I'll agree with the poster that stated you bring nothing to this Board. Or very little.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online svherd

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2024, 09:43:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Majority of fans would not have been happy with Lambert hire and most were happy with Huff hire.  Fans are wrong most of time.  Discussing Lamberts record at Charlotte with out mentioning it was a start up program quickly transitioning to D1 is silly too.  My guess is he would have done well here and certainly would have at least been better than Huff.

I think Lambert would have assembled a better staff. Huff's staffs for the most part have been poor. Now if that would have translated into success, we'll never know.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Lord Haw-Haw

Online 2xBison

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2024, 01:25:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like you said, fans are wrong most of the time.  There is zero evidence that Lambert would have been anything other than a friendly, known hire.  Nothing in his coaching history points to success as a head coach.  At the very least Huff was part of a championship culture and used to winning.  I don't know why he can't put together a decent offense and nothing pointed to that at the time of his hiring, but he was hands down the better choice of the two candidates we were allowed to choose from. 

I agree no evidence that's why I "guessed" and what he would have done.  All I know is a start up program takes time and our established program would have offered much more opportunity for success.  I also know 90% of this board creamed for Huff but have forgotten that now.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: D1, Lord Haw-Haw

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2024, 02:04:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff?s biggest issue has been AC selections.   
    The good ones left (the ol coach for one)
    Kept / hired mediocre AC

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2024, 02:04:14 PM »

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2024, 02:13:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • During the Ohio State game this fall, we will get to see Huff's comeuppance. Maybe after this game, we will stop hearing all the off-the-charts comparisons of Huff being the GOAT coach due to his Notre Dame win.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2024, 02:58:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • During the Ohio State game this fall, we will get to see Huff's comeuppance. Maybe after this game, we will stop hearing all the off-the-charts comparisons of Huff being the GOAT coach due to his Notre Dame win.

How about your follow poutie Doc's comeuppance on 11/27/21 in Huntington where Marshall was beating WKU 14-7 at the half and WKU outscores your wvu buddy 47-7 in the second half to win 53-21.
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401282272/western-ky-marshall

Or how about another comeuppance for a former beloved former assistant coach from morganhole on 11/26/16 at the Joan where WKU raced to a 41-0 halftime lead and won 60-6.
    https://africa.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/400869419

And how about Doc's comeuppance against OSU, sorry I mean the mighty football power Akron of the MAC. In Huntington on 9/172016 where Akron beat 65-38.
    https://gozips.com/sports/football/stats/2016/marshall/boxscore/722

You wvu fans sure know a lot about comemppances. Do you still believe Marshall should close the School of Pharmacy which you wrote to me in your email?
    « Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 03:02:59 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2024, 04:04:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree no evidence that's why I "guessed" and what he would have done.  All I know is a start up program takes time and our established program would have offered much more opportunity for success.  I also know 90% of this board creamed for Huff but have forgotten that now.

Between lambert and Huff I'll take Huff all day long. Again Huffs biggest failure was getting a good QB. It all starts with a QB and we had the rest of the team to get it done. But I'll guarantee you Lambert wouldn't recruit as well in today's portal as Huff. I'm actually amazed at how he gets some of these P5 kids to come to Huntington with little NIL. If he has the QB we will be more than fine.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2024, 04:04:17 PM »