Author Topic: Charles Huff  (Read 13964 times)

Offline svherd

Re: Charles Huff
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2024, 09:08:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc's third year was a losing year. The trajectory is similar in that regard. Doc took a big jump in year 4 (2013). 

He fixed the offense in 2012 but there was no defense. We got MUCH better on defense in 2013. 

The problem is I don't like comparing them because college football has changed so drastically. Has nothing to do with our conference, either, but today's free for all that means you can't build a roster anymore at this level.

We are year to year and will be until something changes.

I agree it changed drastically, but conference and schedules do matter. CDOA was often listed as the worst D1 league. Now the SB is talked about as the best G5 league. Huffs schedules are tougher than Docs were.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2024, 09:08:17 PM »

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2024, 09:51:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree it changed drastically, but conference and schedules do matter. CDOA was often listed as the worst D1 league. Now the SB is talked about as the best G5 league. Huffs schedules are tougher than Docs were.

2010-2012 (first 3 Doc seasons, using those since Huff has completed 3 seasons) were against CUSA 2.0. That included Houston, Tulsa before they tanked, Memphis before they got good, SMU, ECU, etc.

I think the Sun Belt is similar to that now. Big difference in CUSA 2.0 and 3.0, too.

I also think we would have won CUSA 2.0 with our 2014 team.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2024, 09:17:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Too many people living in the past. Football has changed the last few years. For us it will never be what it once was.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, whf, MUinDE, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2, Sir Herd

Offline MUther

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2024, 05:53:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Too many people living in the past. Football has changed the last few years. For us it will never be what it once was.

That's ok.  For them, they will never know the glory we once had.  It's fine to live in the happy times, especially if you know they're gone forever.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Sir Herd

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2024, 06:48:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Yep that is true. I hate the nuances of the transfer portal, how NIL is being handled, super conferences, etc. Call me crazy but some days I long for the Herd being in the CUSA again.

It is what it is though. Can't worry about any of that, just have to beat who we can beat, bowl wins, etc and all will be alright.

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2024, 11:40:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bookmakers have the OVER/UNDER on Marshall wins this season at 6.5 (+124, over) . That means they have us pegged at about 6 wins this season. It will be nice to see what the press has to say about Marshall's title chances in the pre-season magazines soon to come out. I think the OL and LB could be trouble spots. WR is totally re-tooled. RB could have a lack of depth. QB, who knows (Mitch Griffis)? We'll see. Could be a surprise, a 6-6 season, or even worse. What will the Herd's pre-season odds to win the Sun Belt title be?
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 08:14:22 PM by Lord Haw-Haw »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2024, 05:37:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bookmakers have the OVER/UNDER on Marshall wins this season at 6.5 (+124) . That means they have us pegged at about 6 wins this season. It will be nice to see what the press has to say about Marshall's title chances in the pre-season magazines soon to come out. I think the OL and LB could be trouble spots. WR is totally re-tooled. RB could have a lack of depth. QB, who knows (Mitch Griffis)? We'll see. Could be a surprise, a 6-6 season, or even worse. What will the Herd's pre-season odds to win the Sun Belt title be?

Nobody knows. Even the prognosticators have no clue in today's world. Too many transfers, will they mesh, how good are some of the transfers etc on all the teams. Predictions mean even less than they ever did before.

Offline svherd

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2024, 07:32:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bookmakers have the OVER/UNDER on Marshall wins this season at 6.5 (+124) . That means they have us pegged at about 6 wins this season. It will be nice to see what the press has to say about Marshall's title chances in the pre-season magazines soon to come out. I think the OL and LB could be trouble spots. WR is totally re-tooled. RB could have a lack of depth. QB, who knows (Mitch Griffis)? We'll see. Could be a surprise, a 6-6 season, or even worse. What will the Herd's pre-season odds to win the Sun Belt title be?

6 wins is about right unless this staff coaches out of their butts this season. App appears to be the strong favorite this fall.
    We go 6-6, Huff is gone and a new HC takes the reins in 2025. What will CS, Brad and the BOG do?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2024, 02:35:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We go 6-6, Huff is gone and a new HC takes the reins in 2025. What will CS, Brad and the BOG do?

only time will tell.  but CS & BS have sure saved a lotta $ on these 2 new BB hires.  not a doubt in my mind that both of 'em COMBINED are probably $250K+ less than what we were paying DD ALONE (& they should be, IMO).  + $600K from TN when they bought KC.  & i guess we're banking her husband's salary since we apparently aren't replacing him.  😆

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2024, 03:17:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• only time will tell.  but CS & BS have sure saved a lotta $ on these 2 new BB hires.  not a doubt in my mind that both of 'em COMBINED are probably $250K+ less than what we were paying DD ALONE (& they should be, IMO).  + $600K from TN when they bought KC.  & i guess we're banking her husband's salary since we apparently aren't replacing him.  😆

Yes it sounds like CS and BS are all about saving money now. Looks like they are taking a page out of the Reds playbook. Go cheap and hope the fans don't leave.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2024, 04:05:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes it sounds like CS and BS are all about saving money now. Looks like they are taking a page out of the Reds playbook. Go cheap and hope the fans don't leave.

I am not making an excuse, but Marshall has an operating deficit of $22 Million per the link below as of February. My guess is that the entire university has to tighten the belt to eliminate the deficit? wvu has been dropping majors and programs to reduce their deficit. wvu does have all the B12 money to keep their athletic program going while Marshall doesn't a B12 revenue stream. I would guess priority #1 for Smith is to reduce the deficit since the deficit could have catastrophic implications for Marshall's future? Maybe that is why Marshall is not spending big bucks on coaches salaries?
    https://wchstv.com/news/local/our-financial-plan-is-working-marshall-cuts-operating-deficit-by-6-million

With a declining college student population in WV, one would have to wonder how many of the WV state colleges might be scaled back or even closed in the future? Marshall needs to be financially healthy if it wants to invest in athletics.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2024, 04:31:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fball roster has to be 15-20% wr right now.  If these guys can?t cut it we have the worst talent evaluating offensive coaches in the USA. 
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 05:49:59 PM by MicDrass1 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2024, 04:31:06 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2024, 05:48:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not making an excuse, but Marshall has an operating deficit of $22 Million per the link below as of February. My guess is that the entire university has to tighten the belt to eliminate the deficit? wvu has been dropping majors and programs to reduce their deficit. wvu does have all the B12 money to keep their athletic program going while Marshall doesn't a B12 revenue stream. I would guess priority #1 for Smith is to reduce the deficit since the deficit could have catastrophic implications for Marshall's future? Maybe that is why Marshall is not spending big bucks on coaches salaries?
    https://wchstv.com/news/local/our-financial-plan-is-working-marshall-cuts-operating-deficit-by-6-million

With a declining college student population in WV, one would have to wonder how many of the WV state colleges might be scaled back or even closed in the future? Marshall needs to be financially healthy if it wants to invest in athletics.

It's over at Marshall in the 2 major sports. People may as well get used to it.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2024, 06:44:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's over at Marshall in the 2 major sports. People may as well get used to it.

Not if coaches/staff/admin are good

Online herd2win

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2024, 06:47:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall can compete in the SBC and I will enjoy the regional rivalries and not spend energy on the rest of college sports.  It will be the same 15 schools in the playoffs every year and they will reduce non P2 schools in basketball.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline muherd34

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2024, 07:26:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just observed the opposite. Flew on the plane from clt to crw he didn?t interact w anyone.  Not the people who said go Herd as they walked past him on the plane, not the girls in MU gear sitting in front of him.  He didn?t say much to anyone.  I tried to say something n got shot down. He didn?t even follow FFA instructions and bring his seat back up fully and in a locked position
    How hard is that to understand

Fair enough.  I interact with him over the phone and in person about once a quarter.  Although it?s in a business setting he has been nothing but polite and cordial.  Definitely see the situation you experienced could leave a poor impression of someone.

The following users thanked this post: s1uggo, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2024, 07:45:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not if coaches/staff/admin are good

Good luck with that. Cutting back will just make it that much harder to get "good". Marshall simply doesn't have the vision or resources as a lot of our peers. It's been proven over and over again and it's getting worse.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2024, 07:59:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Good luck with that. Cutting back will just make it that much harder to get "good". Marshall simply doesn't have the vision or resources as a lot of our peers. It's been proven over and over again and it's getting worse.

In men?s bb and fb do you think our coaches/their staffs/school
    Admin are above avg?   Marshall admin never seems to place hard expectations on their HC.  Seems like a we?ll golly g you can do it Ricky..... you are auto
    awesome bc we hired you. But I don?t know.   Kim C was a stud hire but I knew that.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 08:02:37 PM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2024, 08:07:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In men?s bb and fb do you think our coaches/their staffs/school
    Admin are above avg?   Marshall admin never seems to place hard expectations on their HC.  Seems like a we?ll golly g you can do it Ricky..... you are auto
    awesome bc we hired you. But I don?t know.   Kim C was a stud hire but I knew that.

Agree and that is my point and it's not going to change. Like I said it's getting worse. Just lowered the basketball salary along with the woman's salary. When you watch other schools hire coaches like JMU and others, they do their homework and get the best bang for their buck. We have zero vision and it's been showing for a long time and is just going to get worse.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2024, 08:18:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Agree and that is my point and it's not going to change. Like I said it's getting worse. Just lowered the basketball salary along with the woman's salary. When you watch other schools hire coaches like JMU and others, they do their homework and get the best bang for their buck. We have zero vision and it's been showing for a long time and is just going to get worse.
    Especially when Jerome Gilbert picked Huff over Dewayne Ledford. Not to mention Mike Hamrick's attempt to give the job to Brad Lambert. Gilbert is long gone, and we have to live with the results of his poor decision making.

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2024, 07:43:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Especially when Jerome Gilbert picked Huff over Dewayne Ledford. Not to mention Mike Hamrick's attempt to give the job to Brad Lambert. Gilbert is long gone, and we have to live with the results of his poor decision making.
    I m pretty sure Huff was the search committee recommendation   And the way things have turned out Brad Lambert might look pretty good right about now

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2024, 07:53:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I m pretty sure Huff was the search committee recommendation   And the way things have turned out Brad Lambert might look pretty good right about now

Lambert was 22-48 as a head coach in his six years at UNCC. When he was replaced at UNCC, the new coach pulled a Parrish and had a winning season in his first year. I don't think the majority of fans would have accepted Lambert as head coach. Hamrick was terrible at picking coaches at his many stops as an AD.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, svherd, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2024, 07:53:04 AM »

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2024, 08:01:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I stated roughly in his mid-30's. He would have been around 38 when hired. Why are you always nitpicking like some m0r0n with nothing else to do.

Well because you were wrong that is why
    Before posting something as fact why not just do a quick search and post the truth
    Maybe it made your post sound better to say mid 30s

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2024, 08:05:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m a Huff supporter and I would love to see us return to football success.

However,  the more I?m on here, I think I?m completely coming around to the consensus on this board.  Here let me try to blend in.

I hope Marshall doesn?t win a game in 2024, so oh Huff can get fired and we can bring good ole Nicky Saban.  Matter a fact, I hope we don?t score a ding dang point.  I hope we get beat 0-77 by every team we play and I hope they fire him and chase him outta town with baseball bats. 

C?us I?m a good old fashioned, backwards, full a hate, white trash fan, that has gooooot to be right and got to get my way, no matter what, so I can say ?I told gee so, look how damm smart I am, you can call me nos tree dumm a$$, I told gee, I told gee, I told gee?

I know y?all are gonna say he beat Virginia Tech?..Luck

And he beat #8 Notre Dame?..Pure dam accident

Them reports about him working 70 hours a week, recruiting and coaching are big ol lies

He?s stoopid!   He?s stooped!   I want ?em fired 2-day!!!

I want Marshall to fail, I want Huff to get run out of town to dam night in the middle of the night with his house on fire!!!!

Herdfans is an awesome place where we can talk like this before the season even starts.

It is damn not dam
    The latter holds back water

Offline MUther

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2024, 08:09:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I m pretty sure Huff was the search committee recommendation   And the way things have turned out Brad Lambert might look pretty good right about now

No way in hell Brad Lambert beats Notre Dame.  Hell, people kept D'antoni around 6 more seasons simply for beating Wichita.  Beating Notre Dame @ Notre Dame is 100 times the better win.  We might not be getting SBC titles, but we are getting wins to hang our hats on.  Could be a lot worse.  Could get neither, like the 15 years before Huff -1 all star season.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ThunderValley, Flat Tire 2, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2024, 08:09:34 AM »