Author Topic: Charles Huff  (Read 12700 times)

Online svherd

Re: Charles Huff
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2024, 11:20:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• i hope so!  but even if that happens, CP wasn't a Huff recruit.  huff obviously came here w/o any intention of CP being his QB.  CP should have a lot more game action under his belt than what he does.  there have been LOTS of occasions over the past 2 seasons where it was time to try something different at QB, & huff just left a struggling CF out there to seal the deal (loss).  3 years later, it's possible if not probable that huff hasn't been able to out-recruit doc on a QB he's never been high on.

We have had ONE multi year starting QB since Stan Hill, that's Cato. He's the only one that's done anything worthwhile long term. Columbi had the ND win. Poor coaching and poor evaluation of QB talent by our last 3 HC's.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2024, 11:20:04 AM »

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2024, 11:34:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For a guy we brought in here heralded as the nations #1 recruiter, he couldn't reel in 1 even semi-decent QB in 4 yrs.

That's a hard pill to swallow.  Even harder when you take into account how some of our conference peers seem to reload at the position.  Has JMU had a QB that wasn't a transfer during the time they've been in the Sun Belt? 

The following users thanked this post: chris88, miltonherdfan

Online Flat Tire 2

B
    « Reply #177 on: June 08, 2024, 12:01:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• We have had ONE multi year starting QB since Stan Hill, that's Cato. He's the only one that's done anything worthwhile long term. Columbi had the ND win. Poor coaching and poor evaluation of QB talent by our last 3 HC's.

That is something to think about. Stan's last year was 2004, I think. That means in 20 years we have only one good QB in Cato. Columbi was excellent in the ND win, too bad he got hurt. Unbelievable that we went from Chad to Bryon to Stan to where we are at this point. Before Chad, we had some really quarterbacks during the Chaump and Donnan years. The just proves that all the football coaches after Pruett have not been very good. My brother use to say the difference between a good football team and a great football team is an outstanding QB.
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 12:04:06 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, chris88

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2024, 01:14:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chase Litton, Isaiah Green, Grant Wells were all multi-year starters.

None used up all of their eligibility with Marshall.

Brian Anderson was also a multi-year starting QB. So was Bernard Morris.

It's a problem but saying we've only had one multi year starting QB since Stan Hill misses the mark by quite a bit.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Online svherd

« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2024, 01:20:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It's a problem but saying we've only had one multi year starting QB since Stan Hill misses the mark by quite a bit.

None of those guys had much overall success or lead us to a title. That's the point and is key.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Big City, Flat Tire 2

Online GoHerd35

« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2024, 01:49:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • None of those guys had much overall success or lead us to a title. That's the point and is key.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2024, 02:40:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• We have had ONE multi year starting QB since Stan Hill, that's Cato. He's the only one that's done anything worthwhile long term. Columbi had the ND win. Poor coaching and poor evaluation of QB talent by our last 3 HC's.

Simply not true

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2024, 02:50:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff is doing better than most coaches we could get recruiting. It's all changed the last 2-3 years. You can't compare huff to past coaches. Marshall football is in a bad spot going forward regardless of the coach. Basketball has a shot with the right coach and some emphasis on the program. Just a few players will turn it around. Football is going to have way too many spots to fill every year. Just watch and see what football does over the next 15-20 years. It won't be much regardless of the coach.

Online svherd

« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2024, 03:32:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Simply not true

Share your thoughts on the subject? Interested to hear. All opinion my man.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2024, 05:23:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff is doing better than most coaches we could get recruiting. It's all changed the last 2-3 years. You can't compare huff to past coaches. Marshall football is in a bad spot going forward regardless of the coach. Basketball has a shot with the right coach and some emphasis on the program. Just a few players will turn it around. Football is going to have way too many spots to fill every year. Just watch and see what football does over the next 15-20 years. It won't be much regardless of the coach.

then let's just replace huff next season with someone making what we're paying CJ & stop charging $100/game for chairbacks

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2024, 06:22:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• then let's just replace huff next season with someone making what we're paying CJ & stop charging $100/game for chairbacks

Fine with me.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2024, 07:57:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • None of those guys had much overall success or lead us to a title. That's the point and is key.

We have had ONE multi year starting QB since Stan Hill, that's Cato.

This was the only thing I pointed out was incorrect. As I said, the position has been a problem for a long time now, with snippets of good QB play with a lot of below average QB play.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2024, 07:57:01 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2024, 10:25:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• We have had ONE multi year starting QB since Stan Hill, that's Cato.

Chase Litton played most of freshman year, started soph and junior years.  Declared for senior year.  Grant started two years, Green started two years.  I would go with ONE good multi-year QB since Stan.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2024, 12:03:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chase Litton played most of freshman year, started soph and junior years.  Declared for senior year.  Grant started two years, Green started two years.  I would go with ONE good multi-year QB since Stan.
    Chase Litton. He was number 4 in a recent blogger's ranking of Marshall quarterbacks since the move back to FBS. Pennington, Leftwich, Cato, and Litton were listed descending in that order. I would put Stan Hill at number 5. We could really use a pocket passer with a poise like either Litton or Hill showed during their years here.

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2024, 01:33:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff has not met my expectations for wins. 
    With that said, it should be obvious to all that he appears to be working hard on finding talent for our program.. 
    We are behind the ball as it comes to NIL cash, but he still seems to get some talent in here..
    His players do not seem to be getting in trouble with the law.
    We aren't seeing guys on the police blotter, acting out, fighting each other, and flunking out all the time. 
    As an alumnus, that is important to me. 

I think he needs more experience in his asst coaches.
    He is hiring Marshall guys as coaches, but I would rather win.

His preeminent failure is at QB.  That needs to get fixed ASAP.
    I am hopeful that Cole will improve this year with a familiar scheme, and a year under his belt and a good coach at home to help him correct the errors from last year...

Huff knows that he is on borrowed time.
    He wants out of here to be the head coach at a bigger program.  I hope he reaches that goal, because that means he won here...

I wish MU would quit hiring coordinators for HC, and find lower level HEAD coaches to run our program!!!!
    This has been our downfall, in my humble opinion...   
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 01:36:32 AM by TomorrowHERD »

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

The following users thanked this post: overherd1, herdfan129

Online svherd

« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2024, 09:34:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You are correct. I should have worded my post differently.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ThunderingHerdFan

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish MU would quit hiring coordinators for HC, and find lower level HEAD coaches to run our program!!!!
    This has been our downfall, in my humble opinion...   

Granted, Snyder was a bust; but I'd take another pruett or donnan anyday!

Those are the last 3 coordinators we've hired as HC.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2024, 12:11:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's a different world now. Donnan and Pruett is when you could recruit and develope and build a team. Those days are long gone. It's all about recruiting the portal now. Recruiting freshman that you think you can develope to be great players as juniors and seniors are long gone.

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2024, 01:26:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We've seen our best days.  Just be thankful that they happened.  It would be impossible to duplicate in today's caustic environment.  I feel sorry that youth will never be able to duplicate what we enjoyed.  Literally, from the ashes we rose...  The greatest sports story ever told!!!

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2024, 03:24:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chase Litton. He was number 4 in a recent blogger's ranking of Marshall quarterbacks since the move back to FBS. Pennington, Leftwich, Cato, and Litton were listed descending in that order. I would put Stan Hill at number 5. We could really use a pocket passer with a poise like either Litton or Hill showed during their years here.

Litton was a cancer and a head case. Too bad it was all about him, otherwise he could have been a great one. Certainly not top 4 or even top 7/8. Payton, Fodor, Peterson and others were better in all phases. And much better leaders - teammates.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, Flat Tire 2, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2024, 03:53:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I always wonder if Peter Zamora was the answer at qb with a little more patience.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline D1

« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2024, 04:22:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's a different world now. Donnan and Pruett is when you could recruit and develope and build a team. Those days are long gone. It's all about recruiting the portal now. Recruiting freshman that you think you can develope to be great players as juniors and seniors are long gone.
    Unfortunately, you are correct, except in very few circumstances, like an incoming freshman who just loves the school and has the support system to not be forced to chase the money.  Owen Porter was an example of that last year.
    Without a larger committed NIL pot of money, the days of competing for the top talent are going to be few and far between.  The startup of the Thunder Trust is where that funding source is planned to be coming from.  Hopefully we can collectively help make Marshall Football be competitive in the new landscape of college football. Are we going to have SEC money, probably not, but we have to at least get in the top third of the SBC in NIL funding to battle for conference championships. Like the old saying goes, you win with Jimmy's and Joe's, not X's and O's.
    From what I've seen, just from casually watching what the other SBC teams are doing, JMU is the front runner in just flat-out buying a player. I don't believe that approach is the best way to build a program, but we need to be in a position that we can buy a player if we need to.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2024, 04:22:57 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2024, 06:15:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Litton was a cancer and a head case. Too bad it was all about him, otherwise he could have been a great one. Certainly not top 4 or even top 7/8. Payton, Fodor, Peterson and others were better in all phases. And much better leaders - teammates.

Would have liked to see what Stan Hill might have accomplished for the rest of his MU career had he not injured a leg, IIRC, after "celebrating" a big offensive play for the HERD down in Knoxville!

As for other QBs during this period, I don't believe Wells was starting at QB down at VA Tech when their season ended.  Not sure if he exhausted his eligibility his year with the Hokies or even if he is still there as a student only.  Nothing seen indicating he is on football there in Blacksburg.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 06:20:07 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HerdEcon

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2024, 12:00:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would have liked to see what Stan Hill might have accomplished for the rest of his MU career had he not injured a leg, IIRC, after "celebrating" a big offensive play for the HERD down in Knoxville!

As for other QBs during this period, I don't believe Wells was starting at QB down at VA Tech when their season ended.  Not sure if he exhausted his eligibility his year with the Hokies or even if he is still there as a student only.  Nothing seen indicating he is on football there in Blacksburg.
    Many people had good careers w the same injury as Stan. Stan problem was doing his rehab at Jake?s

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MUther

« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2024, 06:31:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chase Litton. He was number 4 in a recent blogger's ranking of Marshall quarterbacks since the move back to FBS. Pennington, Leftwich, Cato, and Litton were listed descending in that order. I would put Stan Hill at number 5. We could really use a pocket passer with a poise like either Litton or Hill showed during their years here.

Who ran that poll? His mom?  Litton wasn't near the same category as the other three.  His ego had more talent than he did and he was a baby.  Not a team player.  Guy created division here and it showed.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2024, 06:31:22 AM »