Author Topic: So this is where we are now?  (Read 2053 times)

Online W0lfman

HerdFans.com

So this is where we are now?
« on: June 08, 2024, 01:06:32 PM »

Online svherd

Re: So this is where we are now?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2024, 01:16:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why our football and men's basketball programs will never be more than very average going forward. This stuff is killing college athletics. I hope it doesn't trickle down to men's soccer and the minor sports too badly.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, MUinDE, Johns1124, herddds, HerdEcon, luckytoes99, GreenDaddy

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2024, 02:37:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why our football and men's basketball programs will never be more than very average going forward. This stuff is killing college athletics. I hope it doesn't trickle down to men's soccer and the minor sports too badly.

The big schools likely do NOT think it is killing college athletics
    So it is relative

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online Johns1124

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2024, 03:16:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Totally unsustainable over the long run. When whatever company is putting up the Lamb's does not get a return on their investments. In a few years, it will get old.  Same with the schools
    if donors keep dumping $$ into a program, if the program is not successful over the years. The money will dry up. On the flip side; what keeps the kids focused on football with all the other distractions in their life? $$ and accolades open up propositions in a athletes life that may otherwise not be there. You can only juggle so much as a student-athlete.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, chris88, luckytoes99, MUther

Online svherd

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2024, 03:30:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The big schools likely do NOT think it is killing college athletics
    So it is relative

F the big schools. Don't care.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, 2xBison, GreenDaddy, herdorbust2

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2024, 04:03:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What about the nice white Mercedes-Benz roadster that someone connected to Marshall leased out for Rasheen Ali to drive while he was here? Is Marshall any different?
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 04:31:11 PM by Lord Haw-Haw »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 04:22:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The big schools likely do NOT think it is killing college athletics
    So it is relative

Everyone isn't a fan of only the top 10-15 schools in the country. So yes it is killing collegiate sports other than the top 10-15.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, svherd

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2024, 05:12:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, this is where we are now.  No relief in sight for the have nots. 

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online elginherd

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2024, 06:06:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Slade has a point.
    Fox Sports and Disney are not idiots.
    The Big 10 and SEC are what draws ratings.
    So as far as 'college sports being ruined', it's a POV issue...and from a national marketing perspective, just about everybody that are not members of the big 2 conferences are going to suck hindtit.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online W0lfman

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2024, 07:28:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What about the nice white Mercedes-Benz roadster that someone connected to Marshall leased out for Rasheen Ali to drive while he was here? Is Marshall any different?
    no doubt, we do the same thing on a much smaller scale for sure. Seriously, reading this guys tweet made me really think about G5 playoff and whether that would be much better than trying to compete with this craziness.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdorbust2

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2024, 08:25:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't really see how anything has changed. It's always been like this. Texas...and Ohio State...and USC...and Georgia...and Alabama and everyone between us and them at various levels...have always out woo'd us for recruits. Nothing has changed. The schools that have more money than us now...had more money than us 50 years ago. The schools that have more resources than us now...had more resources than us 50 years ago in almost THE EXACT SAME ORDER....from #1 to #60. We play the game at our level...they play the game at their level...and everything falls into the same place it always did.

I think sometimes these type of posts make it sound like we were on the same resource level as the "P5s" at one point...we never were...we just had great coaching and a great program which allowed us to perform at a level beyond our resources. We could never compete with Alabama football money...but we could never compete with Wake Forest football money either...or Arizona football money...or Illinois football money...we just found a way to be better than some of those schools back in the day...but all of those schools always had more perks for recruits and resources...

We don't need to tuck our tail and think the "glory days" are over...in fact the "glory days" are a reason TO believe...we found a way to be relevant before against all odds when the gap was likely even larger. We don't need some stupid "G5" playoff. We beat Notre Dame a few years ago. I would much rather be ranked #25 in the nation for just 1 week in the regular season with all FBS teams (and have millions talk about us)...than win a "G5 Championship" against nobodies (and remain completely irrelevant on the national scene).

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, banker, chris88, gochneaur645

Offline MUther

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2024, 10:09:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Totally unsustainable over the long run. When whatever company is putting up the Lamb's does not get a return on their investments. In a few years, it will get old.  Same with the schools
    if donors keep dumping $$ into a program, if the program is not successful over the years. The money will dry up. On the flip side; what keeps the kids focused on football with all the other distractions in their life? $$ and accolades open up propositions in a athletes life that may otherwise not be there. You can only juggle so much as a student-athlete.

Exactly.  It's one thing to illegally pay a few top recruits each season.  Now every single player in every single sport wants a piece and all the donors get are possible wins out of the deal?  There's love for the school and then there's stupidity.  The line isn't even a fine one.

But this is why they will move from a donor NIL blueprint to a schools pay salary blueprint.  Donations will still help, but the schools can directly budget for payments to athletes and bypass weary donors and the extra TV money for successful conferences will foot the bill.
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 10:18:53 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2024, 10:09:55 PM »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2024, 11:21:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good for them.

Those players are adults who were part of the top 0.01% of a sport played by a million people in 2023. They deserve to make a large piece of the money from the multi-billion dollar industry that wouldn't exist without their talents, and they're free to spend it on whatever they want. That's how capitalism works.

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83, THECHAMPISHERE, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2024, 11:25:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lamborghini, Shamborghini!!

Decades ago, distinctly recall that early on in his varsity career at MU, HERD basketball GREAT Russell Lee was sporting one of the sharpest and fastest cars around the streets and avenues of H-town.  A very sporty and "souped up", at least engine wise, Pontiac Firebird!

Where there's a "will", HERD FANS, there's a "way"!!!!

Online svherd

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2024, 08:13:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good for them.

Those players are adults who were part of the top 0.01% of a sport played by a million people in 2023. They deserve to make a large piece of the money from the multi-billion dollar industry that wouldn't exist without their talents, and they're free to spend it on whatever they want. That's how capitalism works.
    Whats funny is, most of them won't go pro or make money at the sport, fail to finish their degree, and be broke at 28, forced to sell that flashy car for food money.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: June 10, 2024, 08:22:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whats funny is, most of them won't go pro or make money at the sport, fail to finish their degree, and be broke at 28, forced to sell that flashy car for food money.

I'd bet the cars are leases, but whatever. If all I get from my lifelong herd fandoms is living through the plane crash, watching decades of struggle, two D1AA national championships including one of the best 1AA teams of all time, a 1999 undefeated team that no one can tell me would not match up with the best in the nation, three top 25 finishes, and getting to witness our guys win at Clemson and Notre Dame...well, that's a good site better than most fans experience. You don't play the game you wish you were playing, you play the game that's in front of you.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2024, 09:49:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd bet the cars are leases, but whatever. If all I get from my lifelong herd fandoms is living through the plane crash, watching decades of struggle, two D1AA national championships including one of the best 1AA teams of all time, a 1999 undefeated team that no one can tell me would not match up with the best in the nation, three top 25 finishes, and getting to witness our guys win at Clemson and Notre Dame...well, that's a good site better than most fans experience. You don't play the game you wish you were playing, you play the game that's in front of you.

This... The bolded part.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2024, 10:01:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't really see how anything has changed. It's always been like this. Texas...and Ohio State...and USC...and Georgia...and Alabama and everyone between us and them at various levels...have always out woo'd us for recruits. Nothing has changed. The schools that have more money than us now...had more money than us 50 years ago. The schools that have more resources than us now...had more resources than us 50 years ago in almost THE EXACT SAME ORDER....from #1 to #60. We play the game at our level...they play the game at their level...and everything falls into the same place it always did.

I think sometimes these type of posts make it sound like we were on the same resource level as the "P5s" at one point...we never were...we just had great coaching and a great program which allowed us to perform at a level beyond our resources. We could never compete with Alabama football money...but we could never compete with Wake Forest football money either...or Arizona football money...or Illinois football money...we just found a way to be better than some of those schools back in the day...but all of those schools always had more perks for recruits and resources...

We don't need to tuck our tail and think the "glory days" are over...in fact the "glory days" are a reason TO believe...we found a way to be relevant before against all odds when the gap was likely even larger. We don't need some stupid "G5" playoff. We beat Notre Dame a few years ago. I would much rather be ranked #25 in the nation for just 1 week in the regular season with all FBS teams (and have millions talk about us)...than win a "G5 Championship" against nobodies (and remain completely irrelevant on the national scene).

it has always been this way from a resource standpoint - now it's even easier to openly use all those resources from facilities to player benefits...............and now you add in no transfer restrictions.   we used to at least have that.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2024, 11:06:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The money won't dry up. This isn't a fad or a phase. It's the new norm and it isn't going anywhere. It will only morph over time to ensure more profits come out of it.
    « Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 11:13:02 AM by HoPPy785 »

Online herd2win

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2024, 11:35:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The biggest issue is the unlimited transfers without consequence.  Now that you don't have to sit out a school like MU will not develope players.  We get a QB like Chad or Byron today and they are gone tomorrow.

The goal should be to focus on winning the conference and enjoy the regional rivalries.  WVU can't even compete in this world. 

The money is now TV so you don't even need boosters.  The TV contract is revenue sharing with the athletes now.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2024, 12:17:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whats funny is, most of them won't go pro or make money at the sport, fail to finish their degree, and be broke at 28, forced to sell that flashy car for food money.

That's a lot of assumptions and generalizations.

And for those who do flame out, it's a lot better to have an expensive car to sell than to have nothing at all.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2024, 12:48:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The biggest issue is the unlimited transfers without consequence.  Now that you don't have to sit out a school like MU will not develope players.  We get a QB like Chad or Byron today and they are gone tomorrow.

The goal should be to focus on winning the conference and enjoy the regional rivalries.  WVU can't even compete in this world. 

The money is now TV so you don't even need boosters.  The TV contract is revenue sharing with the athletes now.

now, as it stands, the money is so ridiculous it would be hard for us to keep a kid that actually wanted to stay.  just like a job, sometimes you just have to take it and move if the money is there.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2024, 12:48:12 PM »

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2024, 12:54:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Average Joe football fan will tire of this and just stop donating money eventually.
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan

Online whf

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2024, 01:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Average Joe football fan will tire of this and just stop donating money eventually.
    I hate to agree with you, but I do. I wonder now why to do so; my ability to make any difference is near zero now.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, miltonherdfan

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2024, 02:14:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to agree with you, but I do. I wonder now why to do so; my ability to make any difference is near zero now.

I don't mind donating for scholarship money to help an athlete pursue their degree. No way I'm donating so that some kid can drive around in a nice car.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2024, 02:14:48 PM »