Author Topic: Who is your biggest disappointment after announcement?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Thundering In MD

Who is your biggest disappointment after announcement?
« on: June 12, 2024, 01:46:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As Herdfans we have had announcements that didn't work out.  I am just curious who on the list above do you think was the most disappointing at that point in history. 
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

Who is your biggest disappointment after announcement?
    « on: June 12, 2024, 01:46:10 AM »

Offline BigJimslade

Re: Who is your biggest disappointment after announcement?
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 02:43:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Penny2.0

Offline Grazing Marco

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 08:35:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Paul O?Hara

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 12:13:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Willy Korn...the hype was truly epic. There hasn't been a player hyped like that since. I think he got hurt before coming here and just couldn't really recover. Without injury maybe he could have been the next great!

Ranking MU players based on their hype it would probably be 1. Randy Moss. 2. Willy Korn. 3. Brian Robinson 4. Eric Kressor and maybe 5. Yulee...6. A. Jean Louis/Deon-Tay McManus. I am sure I am missing a ton so don't kill me here...those are just the ones I remember having some hype pre season.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 12:42:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Griffis wasn't even the QB transfer this year I was most excited about. His production at Wake was pretty bad, and none of their fans were sad to see him go. I think a lot of us were just projecting our hopes and desperation for a good QB onto him and making him out to be something he never was.

Still think Braxton has a chance to be a much better QB than Griffis ever could have been although his performance at the Spring game obviously wasn't encouraging. Say what you want about the horrific OL last year, but Pennington was the first FBS QB in over a decade to throw 0 TD's and more than 6 INT's in a season. I really don't see how we can have any success if he's the starter this season.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 01:31:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg Supsura?naw just kidding but I would say Leron Chapmen RIP.  The dude was a man in junior high.

Offline overherd1

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 02:35:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Willy Korn

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 03:05:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "The Pizza Twins"

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 03:30:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg Supsura?naw just kidding but I would say Leron Chapmen RIP.  The dude was a man in junior high.

Ol Sup.. a damn legend on campus

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 03:54:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There was a quarterback, I think from Ironton, who seemed to be the total package. Could throw the ball from his knees at the 50 through the goal post...seems like he had a rather ordinary name...like Smith. Never played here. Ended up throwing javelin at Tennessee.

Tank Tunsdale was probably my biggest disappointment. Travon Van was close, but unlike Tank Van sort of eventually made it work, just not for us.

Online elginherd

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2024, 04:13:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Willy Korn would probably be a great recruit as an OC/QB coach.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2024, 05:34:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember the whole Percy Moorman ordeal. Chaump really stuck his neck out on that one.

I also remember the All-American JUCO Willie Davis who was recruited by UConn and BC but couldn't get academically into those schools. He played in the WVIAC a year, after sitting out a year at A-B because he couldn't even qualify for NAIA,  as a sophomore and averaged 31.5 ppg and like 17 rpg and led the country in field goal percentage. Freeman coveted him and convinced him to transfer. His car broke down on I-79 on the way down and the only number he had was his head coach at the school he was at. He had to call him and explain why he was outside of Charleston. He stayed where he was at and was a three-time 1st-team All-American. He made it to the final cut of the Boston Celtics before playing in the CBA and eventually having a nice career in Italy.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 05:41:57 PM by jdonaccbus »

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2024, 05:34:47 PM »

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2024, 11:43:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My personal biggest disappointment was Pete Zambora.  He worked out with AB.  He talked the talked.  With his swagger, I legit thought he had the mentality to be the next great one. 

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2024, 06:21:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest disappointment was New Jersey  6-7 forward Jim Shivers that was a top recruit coming out of high school(signed with MU) in the early 70's but had a terrible car wreck that robbed him of his playing ability

In football it was QB Adam Black a 6-5 or 6-6 player that never got to play for MU because of health issues. He was from PA and a highly regarded recruit that coach Pruett brought to MU.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2024, 06:50:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Other than Randy Moss (was he originally a 4 or 5 star for ND/FSU?)

I don?t think any of our former 4 star prospects ever truly lived up to our expectations.  Most were busts, maybe 2 were solid contributors.  Laborn served us well.

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2024, 09:08:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In football it was QB Adam Black a 6-5 or 6-6 player that never got to play for MU because of health issues. He was from PA and a highly regarded recruit that coach Pruett brought to MU.

It came out a lot better for Black than most. I think he's a pretty well regarded attorney.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2024, 12:52:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about a Canadian basketball superstar who was apparently a sure thing to come to Huntington and play for the HERD.  Then, MU's then Head Coach, Stu Aberdeen, had a fatal heart attack at a beach, IIRC, and the result was that player, Leo Rautins, headed to Syracuse, and, as they say, the rest is Orange History!!!

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2024, 02:52:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about a Canadian basketball superstar who was apparently a sure thing to come to Huntington and play for the HERD.  Then, MU's then Head Coach, Stu Aberdeen, had a fatal heart attack at a beach, IIRC, and the result was that player, Leo Rautins, headed to Syracuse, and, as they say, the rest is Orange History!!!

Actually it was between MU and Minnesota about Leo's recruitment and pretty tight until Little Stu passed away. Leo then signed with Minnesota and after a year or so transferred to Syracuse.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline Grazing Marco

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2024, 03:08:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Justin Footman

Online MUfan08

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2024, 03:36:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tank Tunstalle Rb (already mentioned above)

Nate Howard OL (was a local guy that was super athletic and played multiple sports at SV, believe he just wasn't interested in the school work)

Josh Johnson Lb (played at Georgia, but was too busy with substance abuse)

Jo Jo Cox Rb (committed to Clemson, and was a Prop here; he gained like 30 lbs during the season off and ended up quitting the team)

Chris Smith QB (local high school player that had mental health issues; some sources had him as a 4 star recruit)

OJ Murdock WR (was at South Carolina early in his career; never made it here, but ended up in NFL)

Kendrick Starling WR (it seemed like Pruett tried to bringing him in 3 straight years, but couldn't get eligible to come here. Ended up at San Jose State though, then to the NFL)

Gerwin Williams RB (was committed to USC, came here and got hurt the fall of his freshman year. Seemed he couldn't shake that off, but he was also behind Bradshaw too).

Wilbur Hargrove rb/wr (he had an okay career, but it seemed he was hyped as almost a Reggie bush type player that could star at any position, before their was a Reggie bush; had trouble catching the ball, but he could RUN)

Brian Robinson DB (was Docs first 4 star, and he didn't amount to anything and ended up leaving)

Allan Wasonga Rb (was a 4 star in some recruiting links, but had a bunch of personal issues and didn't last long here after getting in a fight with the S&C coach)

Armonze Daniel Lb (he had like 30 some offers out of high school and high P6 schools;talked that he could play S,Lb, or DL; he had an okay career, but did not live up to the hype)

Travon Van rb (4 star from Florida mentioned above)

Kevin Grooms rb (4 star from Miami; that guy was so explosive his freshman year, but got in trouble and was gone)

Kent Turene Lb (some recruiting sites had him as a 4 star, was committed to Georgia; was always injured)

Angelo Jean-Louis Wr (4 star from Miami; he showed flashes his freshman year and helped win a championship; got in trouble and was kicked off team)

Demetrius Johnson Wr (4 star recruit and played in the US Army all American game; couldn't get the grades to even come to Marshall)

Jaquan Yulee Lb (was committed to Alabama and a 4 star; he got hurt here and wasn't able to finish his career)

AJ Leggett DB (4 star out of Miami; showed promise his first year, then got in trouble and was kicked off the team).

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2024, 11:02:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wasn?t Xavier Gaines a 4 star at one point?

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline banker

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 12:55:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Griffis wasn't even the QB transfer this year I was most excited about. His production at Wake was pretty bad, and none of their fans were sad to see him go. I think a lot of us were just projecting our hopes and desperation for a good QB onto him and making him out to be something he never was.

Still think Braxton has a chance to be a much better QB than Griffis ever could have been although his performance at the Spring game obviously wasn't encouraging. Say what you want about the horrific OL last year, but Pennington was the first FBS QB in over a decade to throw 0 TD's and more than 6 INT's in a season. I really don't see how we can have any success if he's the starter this season.

I keep seeing people holding out high hope for Braxton because was t bad his freshman year before being injured. Last year, coming back from that injury, he was horrible. And remember, Grant Wells was flat out great his first handful of games as a freshman and we know how that turned out.

Braxton completed 44% of his passes last year and threw 6 INTs against only 2 TDs. I seriously doubt he ever starts a game here at QB, let alone performs at some high level.  He?ll be 3rd on the depth chart in a weak QB room.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 12:55:57 AM »

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2024, 01:02:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Billy Krystal.

Offline Herdalum94

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2024, 12:18:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest disappointment after announcement?
    Charles Huff!!!

Online svherd

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2024, 10:13:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Frankly, my biggest disappointment are the two HC's we have for football and men's b'ball. I think we could have done better with on both fronts. Maybe Corny will prove me wrong.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2024, 10:13:20 AM »