Author Topic: Who is your biggest disappointment after announcement?  (Read 2634 times)

Offline marshallmark

Re: Who is your biggest disappointment after announcement?
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2024, 10:14:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually it was between MU and Minnesota about Leo's recruitment and pretty tight until Little Stu passed away. Leo then signed with Minnesota and after a year or so transferred to Syracuse.

Easy to make that mistake, Yogster, but Stu brought Leo to our house for lunch when he was at Minnesota and was transferring.  I was the same age as him, and we talked about his nickname at Minnesota (White Magic) and how freaking cold the winters were - even colder than his home in Toronto.  He verbally committed that weekend, but Stu died soon after and before signing day.  That's when he jumped to Syracuse.   
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2024, 10:14:22 AM »

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2024, 02:20:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Easy to make that mistake, Yogster, but Stu brought Leo to our house for lunch when he was at Minnesota and was transferring.  I was the same age as him, and we talked about his nickname at Minnesota (White Magic) and how freaking cold the winters were - even colder than his home in Toronto.  He verbally committed that weekend, but Stu died soon after and before signing day.  That's when he jumped to Syracuse.   

I wish Stu had lived longer because I really think he was building a top program at MU. He sure could recruit and he kept at it 24/7. His recruiting  was beginning to take off before he passed away. One of the players on the team then told me Stu had a top high school post player from around NYC that was entering his senior year in the fall and was most likely headed to MU when he graduated in the spring but Stu died in June. Thinking with Charlie Jones and the post player from NYC the Herd would be a handful if Stu had lived to coach them in the coming years.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, svherd

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #27 on: June 17, 2024, 04:01:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tank Tunstalle Rb (already mentioned above)

Nate Howard OL (was a local guy that was super athletic and played multiple sports at SV, believe he just wasn't interested in the school work)

Josh Johnson Lb (played at Georgia, but was too busy with substance abuse)

Jo Jo Cox Rb (committed to Clemson, and was a Prop here; he gained like 30 lbs during the season off and ended up quitting the team)

Chris Smith QB (local high school player that had mental health issues; some sources had him as a 4 star recruit)

OJ Murdock WR (was at South Carolina early in his career; never made it here, but ended up in NFL)

Kendrick Starling WR (it seemed like Pruett tried to bringing him in 3 straight years, but couldn't get eligible to come here. Ended up at San Jose State though, then to the NFL)

Gerwin Williams RB (was committed to USC, came here and got hurt the fall of his freshman year. Seemed he couldn't shake that off, but he was also behind Bradshaw too).

Wilbur Hargrove rb/wr (he had an okay career, but it seemed he was hyped as almost a Reggie bush type player that could star at any position, before their was a Reggie bush; had trouble catching the ball, but he could RUN)

Brian Robinson DB (was Docs first 4 star, and he didn't amount to anything and ended up leaving)

Allan Wasonga Rb (was a 4 star in some recruiting links, but had a bunch of personal issues and didn't last long here after getting in a fight with the S&C coach)

Armonze Daniel Lb (he had like 30 some offers out of high school and high P6 schools;talked that he could play S,Lb, or DL; he had an okay career, but did not live up to the hype)

Travon Van rb (4 star from Florida mentioned above)

Kevin Grooms rb (4 star from Miami; that guy was so explosive his freshman year, but got in trouble and was gone)

Kent Turene Lb (some recruiting sites had him as a 4 star, was committed to Georgia; was always injured)

Angelo Jean-Louis Wr (4 star from Miami; he showed flashes his freshman year and helped win a championship; got in trouble and was kicked off team)

Demetrius Johnson Wr (4 star recruit and played in the US Army all American game; couldn't get the grades to even come to Marshall)

Jaquan Yulee Lb (was committed to Alabama and a 4 star; he got hurt here and wasn't able to finish his career)

AJ Leggett DB (4 star out of Miami; showed promise his first year, then got in trouble and was kicked off the team).

We need to have a beer sometime. Also do you remember Mike Bolio from LA? He screwed up his eligibility by coming to Huntington and participating in an off-season practice or something. Was a top rated JUCO.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2024, 04:44:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to have a beer sometime. Also do you remember Mike Bolio from LA? He screwed up his eligibility by coming to Huntington and participating in an off-season practice or something. Was a top rated JUCO.

Oh yeah, remember the hype with him. He was supposed to take the top off.
    If we did get him, we probably would not have gotten Passmore though.

One I forgot was Jonathan Garner QB. Was a 4 star on some recruiting sites in Florida, and he transferred here from Georgia Tech under Snyder. I think he mostly was a holder here haha.

Online bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #29 on: June 17, 2024, 04:58:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh yeah, remember the hype with him. He was supposed to take the top off.
    If we did get him, we probably would not have gotten Passmore though.

One I forgot was Jonathan Garner QB. Was a 4 star on some recruiting sites in Florida, and he transferred here from Georgia Tech under Snyder. I think he mostly was a holder here haha.

This one is for bonus points and the opportunity to win the internet. Who was the explosive little chunky back who I think was signed by Puett but was caught for being suspected of having marijuana but used the vaunted "you can't arrest me because I smoked it all" defense? I think he was out of Florida.

Chubb Small would have had a better career if we could have redshirted him a year. The team was pretty bare by then though.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2024, 05:11:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This one is for bonus points and the opportunity to win the internet. Who was the explosive little chunky back who I think was signed by Puett but was caught for being suspected of having marijuana but used the vaunted "you can't arrest me because I smoked it all" defense? I think he was out of Florida.

Chubb Small would have had a better career if we could have redshirted him a year. The team was pretty bare by then though.

He was recruited by Snyder and his group, Kirby Watson.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/kirby-watson-39590?view=pv
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 07:00:21 PM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: bbcard1

Offline drewbox

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2024, 06:09:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Biggest disappointment by far... When it was announced Bob Pruitt was leaving the program. 

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2024, 06:13:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2024, 07:15:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Easy to make that mistake, Yogster, but Stu brought Leo to our house for lunch when he was at Minnesota and was transferring.  I was the same age as him, and we talked about his nickname at Minnesota (White Magic) and how freaking cold the winters were - even colder than his home in Toronto.  He verbally committed that weekend, but Stu died soon after and before signing day.  That's when he jumped to Syracuse.   

Mark
    How did we lose Leo to Minnesota in the recruiting battle from high school. As you know i thought it was because Stu died but my memory failed me. Did Leo's girlfriend go to Minnesota or was it because of a shiny new car?
    I can remember where back in the 70's a couple of Minnesota players(pF-C( got into a ruckus with Buckeyes 7-0 center Luke Whitt? and beat him up pretty bad and with several getting suspended during the melee.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline Herd72

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2024, 01:51:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mine would be a coach that came in with incredible hype about is "pro style offense" ... Perry Moss.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2024, 02:01:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mine would be a coach that came in with incredible hype about is "pro style offense" ... Perry Moss.

Perry would have been successful on the field if he didn't cheat so much off of it. 

Ironically, his daughter is one of the nicest people I've ever met. 

- E-Man

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2024, 02:18:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A.J. Graham
    « Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 03:27:45 PM by Ovaltine Jenkins »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2024, 02:18:24 PM »

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2024, 02:19:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Travon Van for me. I thought the dude was going to be the best RB we ever had.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2024, 02:35:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mark
    How did we lose Leo to Minnesota in the recruiting battle from high school. As you know i thought it was because Stu died but my memory failed me. Did Leo's girlfriend go to Minnesota or was it because of a shiny new car?
    I can remember where back in the 70's a couple of Minnesota players(pF-C( got into a ruckus with Buckeyes 7-0 center Luke Whitt? and beat him up pretty bad and with several getting suspended during the melee.

I never heard that we were recruiting him out of high school.  Makes sense, considering Canada, but I don't know.  I read an article about Leo where he criticized Minnesota for not having any emphasis on education (I'm shocked!) and that he knew early in his first semester that he had made a mistake.

- E-Man

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2024, 02:45:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Perry would have been successful on the field if he didn't cheat so much off of it. 

Ironically, his daughter is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

His Freshmen football team would beat the varsity in practice fairly easy.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2024, 03:03:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His Freshmen football team would beat the varsity in practice fairly easy.

Yeah, mainly that be because of the way he operated, particularly in the area of recruiting. 

Don't know what the scholarship limit was at the time Moss took over, perhaps 25 to 30 a year.  Remember sitting one night with some other guys in what then was "South Hall", the men's residence hall along 5th Ave., just across from Hodges Hall on the campus side.  A young man came in the main lounge who was from Louisiana, had hitch-hiked to Huntington, mainly because he was told he was getting a scholarship to play football.  Apparently that season, Moss and staff had "offered", etc., about 75 or more scholarships, essentially using them to lure guys to campus for what were essentially "try out" sessions. 

Believe the recruiting "tactics" used by that staff were one of the many, many allegations cited by the NCAA when they "threw the book" at MU football a little later!
    « Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 03:05:45 PM by coalherd »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #41 on: June 18, 2024, 04:32:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A.J. Graham

I forgot about him.  I thought he was gonna do something really good for us. 

Tron Martinez, fumbled away our chance at victory against WVU, that?s pretty damm disappointing.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2024, 04:32:30 PM »