Author Topic: P4 meeting with NCAA  (Read 748 times)

HerdFans.com

P4 meeting with NCAA
« on: June 25, 2024, 08:27:10 PM »

Offline MUonium

Re: P4 meeting with NCAA
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 09:18:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • is back pay to former student athletes going to hurt MU, and if so, to what extent (% of future budgets). 

so, is the P4 going to play only OOC opponents within the P4?  if so, that's really going to hurt.  if not, then at least a payday every year to stay afloat?

Offline MUther

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 11:03:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If 95% of the settlement is going to P(5) athletes then 95% of the bill should be paid by the P(5) conferences.  And there goes Oregon St and Wash St's warchest, because they were P5 when this all went down.  Any other payment is complete BS.  No one but the P5 and NCAA were even listed in the lawsuit.  And the athletes should be forced to disclose how much money they were paid "illegally" and in tuition and perks and subtract that from the total.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 11:27:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • is back pay to former student athletes going to hurt MU, and if so, to what extent (% of future budgets). 

so, is the P4 going to play only OOC opponents within the P4?  if so, that's really going to hurt.  if not, then at least a payday every year to stay afloat?

It hasn't been finalized, but the figures that was posted was a school like Marshall (G5) would be required to pay anywhere from 500,000 to 1.5 million each year over the next 10 years in back pay (does not include NCAA withholdings from schools to cover their cost in the lawsuit either which the number for G5 has been anywhere from 1-3 million each year for the next 10 years).

All of that, and the final financial figures still doesn't include revenue sharing that is expected to begin with players in the Fall of 2025 next year either (the max number for school revenue sharing has been pitched anywhere from 22-25 million each year).

P4 schools are making a push (ACC leaders publicly saying it) that if you are going to play G5 schools they need to be at home and not to play anymore away games at G5 locations.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 07:41:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Surprise; surprise, surprise. The split is coming between the haves and have nots. I would bet that some of the G5 and FBS schools might be dropping out of the arms race going down to D2 or D3 if they keep their football programs. With declining enrollments at most colleges, it is a matter of time before some just give it up.

I hope Smith gets the Marshall deficit eliminated and the school on a better financial base. I wonder if the hiring of CJ was a sign from Smith that Marshall is not going to spend the money on athletics. If we go cheap on the next football hire like we did with CJ, we should know the direction of the program.

It also appears that basketball is going the same way. How long before the Big Dance says it a private affair for members only?
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 07:59:41 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 08:40:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Surprise; surprise, surprise. The split is coming between the haves and have nots. I would bet that some of the G5 and FBS schools might be dropping out of the arms race going down to D2 or D3 if they keep their football programs. With declining enrollments at most colleges, it is a matter of time before some just give it up.

I hope Smith gets the Marshall deficit eliminated and the school on a better financial base. I wonder if the hiring of CJ was a sign from Smith that Marshall is not going to spend the money on athletics. If we go cheap on the next football hire like we did with CJ, we should know the direction of the program.

It also appears that basketball is going the same way. How long before the Big Dance says it a private affair for members only?

The G5 need to split regardless because it's coming. Have our own playoff. People need to quit holding on to this dream that things will stay the same because they aren't. Just forget about the P4 and move on to our own tournament and playoffs. There will still be a lot of good teams and recognizable names with us unlike the old 1AA days. I personally would love it and enjoy fighting for championships with all of our peers.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 08:49:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The P4 is going to be the P2 very shortly.  There are now really only about 15 teams that have a shot.  WVU does not have a chance at a title. 

I enjoy the SBC and look forward to our games against regional teams. 

The following users thanked this post: GreenBison, svherd

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 09:09:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The G5 need to split regardless because it's coming. Have our own playoff. People need to quit holding on to this dream that things will stay the same because they aren't. Just forget about the P4 and move on to our own tournament and playoffs. There will still be a lot of good teams and recognizable names with us unlike the old 1AA days. I personally would love it and enjoy fighting for championships with all of our peers.

I have found that a lot of people still have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to the current state of college football. I'm not sure why people think that things can still be the same way it was in the late 90s/early 2000s for us at this point, because it can't. Even with the right coach in place, the days of sending kids to the downtown athletic club for the Heisman trophy ceremony and Top 10 rankings are over, and they aren't coming back. Those of us that experienced it should hold
    Onto those memories and cherish them.

It is now time to move onto something else. College football can still be enjoyable for us Marshall fans with the right setup. We can make new memories and maybe even a few more national titles in whatever version of the division we end up in moving forward.

There is nothing wrong with being who we are, and still striving to be the best among our peers. Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama are not our peers. None of the P2 are. There will be a 3rd tweeter conference (The BXII) that is included. The leftover P5 schools will join us in a new division, and it'll still be some good football being played.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 09:12:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU will bankrupt themselves trying to keep up with the top dogs. I'm sure they'll attempt to hoodwink the legislature into bankrolling their pipe dream.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2024, 09:22:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have found that a lot of people still have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to the current state of college football. I'm not sure why people think that things can still be the same way it was in the late 90s/early 2000s for us at this point, because it can't. Even with the right coach in place, the days of sending kids to the downtown athletic club for the Heisman trophy ceremony and Top 10 rankings are over, and they aren't coming back. Those of us that experienced it should hold
    Onto those memories and cherish them.

It is now time to move onto something else. College football can still be enjoyable for us Marshall fans with the right setup. We can make new memories and maybe even a few more national titles in whatever version of the division we end up in moving forward.

There is nothing wrong with being who we are, and still striving to be the best among our peers. Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama are not our peers. None of the P2 are. There will be a 3rd tweeter conference (The BXII) that is included. The leftover P5 schools will join us in a new division, and it'll still be some good football being played.

Yep. The MAC days and that type success and records are long gone. 8-4 will be a good year, 9-3 and league crown will be an exceptional year - but not happen often. JMHO
    That does not mean we don't stop trying. Be the best we can be with the resources we have.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2024, 09:31:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right now the B12 is in the conversation.
     "Those in the room were limited to five men: NCAA president Charlie Baker and commissioners from the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big Ten.
    Not in the room: the other 28 Division I commissioners who milled about on the first floor of the resort wondering the whereabouts of the other four."
    https://www.aol.com/sports/future-college-sports-uncertain-one-121652533.html?guccounter=1

Will there be another split in the future, who knows? But at this point all the P5 conferences, including the B12. are part of the new mix. We don't need to worry about wvu, we need to worry about Marshall.

I don't think the state will help out wvu athletics, the money isn't there to help them. Just look at the last spending on state colleges. Marshall received $45 million from the state for its new cyber building.  That was the first state money Marshall has received for a new building in decades. wvu asked for the same amount of money to cover their deficit, and they didn't receive any money.
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 09:35:13 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 09:34:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU will bankrupt themselves trying to keep up with the top dogs. I'm sure they'll attempt to hoodwink the legislature into bankrolling their pipe dream.

WV is light years ahead of us sadly. As greendaddy said we need to move on and stop holding onto the past because it's not coming back. The only real hope I have left for either of our 2 major sports is basketball. Only 13 scholarships to fill and really only need 7-8 good players to make noise. Allstate is in talks with the Big 12 for naming rights at around 1 billion. I think WV will do just fine with an extra 75 million or so and then their yearly TV money.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 09:34:30 AM »

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2024, 10:11:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am no expert on this, but I feel it will be the Big 2 and every one else will try to find a nitch somewhere.

The Big 10 just dismantled a power conference in one year by taking Oregon, USC, UCLA and Washington. They left no stone unturned. Clemson and Florida State will jump to the SEC in just a matter of time. The SEC just took Texas and Oklahoma at their own pleasure. The ACC took a couple of leftovers that no one else really wanted in Cal & Stanford. The same can be said for the Big 12. It isn't like Cincinnati, Utah, Colorado, Houston and UCF were huge gets in the grand scheme of things. Again....leftovers.

The only other program I see a battle for is North Carolina. They have a national brand when it comes to basketball. Other than that, I see nothing else out there that the Big 2 will want.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUther

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2024, 10:19:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once this split happens it will be the end of our TV money.  We will be lucky to get 10% of what we were getting.  That's the part people aren't getting.  We'll be making FCS money trying to support an FBS scholarship level and no opportunity to play the bigger teams for payouts as they will have formed their own circle jerk in the process.  We will have fans and views but they won't be national interest game any longer.  Regional at best, except maybe a playoff.  I mean how many people watch FCS games since we left FCS.  I only see them if they're playing us or a conference mate, mostly.  I know some watch their championships etc but not many.  There just isn't going to be a market for these teams with zero access to P4 playoffs and an also-ran tournament for our own teams.  Eventually college football fans may prefer the more amateur style of our league,  but it will take time for the semi-pro league interest to wane.  And we're supposed to cover their court bill for them while our budgets are decimated?  I don't think so.  This will break a LOT of institutions.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline whf

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2024, 04:36:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How, or why, do some feel this will kill TV opportunities? The networks still need , the number of P4 games won't increase. I think the current G5 should seek out the top current FCS schools, make about a 120 team "group" and hold out for even better money for their TV deals.  These networks aren't going to want to show only P4 games, there are millions and millions of TV viewers for the Marshalls, JMU's, ODU"s, Oregon State, Washington State, etc.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline MUonium

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 05:55:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How, or why, do some feel this will kill TV opportunities? The networks still need , the number of P4 games won't increase. I think the current G5 should seek out the top current FCS schools, make about a 120 team "group" and hold out for even better money for their TV deals.  These networks aren't going to want to show only P4 games, there are millions and millions of TV viewers for the Marshalls, JMU's, ODU"s, Oregon State, Washington State, etc.

i agree, those interested eyeballs who pay for TV aren't going away.  who's to say the demand for Marshall football won't increase? 
    why is it possible?  did college and amateur sports increase viewership/interest as the NFL and other pro sports declined years ago?

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 02:20:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

There aren't millions and millions of eyeballs for any two of those teams at a given time because neither of them have any national interest.  They will have less interest to non-specific fans because their pinnacle is not the big playoffs and title.  When Ohio St plays Michigan people nationwide tune in.  When James Madison plays Marshall a few regional fans tune in and maybe some Sun Belt fans.  And less than that if up against a P4 game in the same slot.  They can spread out the P4 games instead of overlapping them with fewer teams in the league.  We may only even be seen on weekdays by anyone but our own fans.  And again, just like FCS, our ceiling would be limited and no games against the p4 so national interest would be diminished.

Hybridizing the league would be basically what CUSA is now.  No coincidence they are the lowest paid conference in FBS.  ESPN will have their cash cow.  They will have less use for their cash goat.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 03:15:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There aren't millions and millions of eyeballs for any two of those teams at a given time because neither of them have any national interest.  They will have less interest to non-specific fans because their pinnacle is not the big playoffs and title.  When Ohio St plays Michigan people nationwide tune in.  When James Madison plays Marshall a few regional fans tune in and maybe some Sun Belt fans.  And less than that if up against a P4 game in the same slot.  They can spread out the P4 games instead of overlapping them with fewer teams in the league.  We may only even be seen on weekdays by anyone but our own fans.  And again, just like FCS, our ceiling would be limited and no games against the p4 so national interest would be diminished.

Hybridizing the league would be basically what CUSA is now.  No coincidence they are the lowest paid conference in FBS.  ESPN will have their cash cow.  They will have less use for their cash goat.

The P2 could demand so much for broadcast rights that it opens the door for Fox, CBS, NBC, NFL, or regional sports networks to grab up G5 conference games.  There could be so many schools and fan bases left out of the P2 mega conferences that there will be a demand for airtime for games played by the leftovers.  If the opportunity for profit is there someone will step up and broadcast the games.  Greed may spawn competition for ESPN and other big networks.

I think given the choice, Marshall fans and alumni would rather watch Marshall than Tennessee, Florida, Ohio State, or Penn State.  The same goes for other schools left out of the big 2.  The Big 2 and NCAA are alienating a lot of college football fans and not just fans from smaller conferences.

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:27:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before anyone runs and jumps off a cliff there is a lot that is about to change in the next 12 months including college.  Will it be beneficial for Marshall??  Time will tell. Just sit back and enjoy The Herd.

Online Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:19:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree that there is nothing wrong with playing in a league of peer institutions.

I would hope that ESPN would use our games to fill spots.  I would like to see on weekdays put a G5 matchup at 6pm and P5 at 9pm.  They?re are many sports channels and some channel brands have multiple channels (Foxsports 1, 2: ESPN 1,2, u)

I think it would be unreasonable and unlikely all sports channels to ban G5 games.  With the P5 paying out billions they are going to try charge a billion to broadcast their games.  We might offer a more budget friendly games.

I would love to play in a playoff series instead of a bowl game against the MAC or C-USA 5.0. 

My thinking is we would need to add home games and only play on the road for conference games.

I also don?t see any reason the G5 playoffs shouldn?t have a problem getting a corporate sponsor and paying the champions, similar to what a BCS birth would garner.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, GreenDaddy

Online Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 06:23:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also think if the G5 sticks to a traditional college format and a portion of thd public doesn?t take to professional college football.  We might win some hearts and minds.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:15:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also think if the G5 sticks to a traditional college format and a portion of thd public doesn?t take to professional college football.  We might win some hearts and minds.

Boom!

Does anyone that matters have the 8alls to make it happen?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:15:22 PM »