Author Topic: OT - Freshman student housing rules  (Read 1176 times)

Offline MU42

OT - Freshman student housing rules
« on: July 03, 2024, 12:53:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know this is way off topic but I?m looking for help for my niece. I have been recruiting her to come to Marshall for 18 years. 😁 Anyway, she received several scholarships that would pay for most tuition and other expenses but had in mind she would live with me. 15 minutes from campus. They have denied her request twice now. I don?t get it. She cannot come to MU without getting a loan for housing (which I dont recommend any loans). She will end up a smaller state school or even end up staying home and going to Southern. Why is MU basically rejecting a good student? Greed for the housing money? Any ideas?

HerdFans.com

OT - Freshman student housing rules
    « on: July 03, 2024, 12:53:06 AM »

Online ru4mu2

Re: OT - Freshman student housing rules
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 06:56:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know this is way off topic but I?m looking for help for my niece. I have been recruiting her to come to Marshall for 18 years. 😁 Anyway, she received several scholarships that would pay for most tuition and other expenses but had in mind she would live with me. 15 minutes from campus. They have denied her request twice now. I don?t get it. She cannot come to MU without getting a loan for housing (which I dont recommend any loans). She will end up a smaller state school or even end up staying home and going to Southern. Why is MU basically rejecting a good student? Greed for the housing money? Any ideas?
    Not sure why, but here's the link to the resident housing page.  There is a number on there that might give you better answers than you'll get on here.   https://www.marshall.edu/housing/files/completereleaserequest.pdf
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 08:05:42 AM by ru4mu2 »

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 07:33:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

COMMUTE: A request to commute from the permanent residence of a parent or legal guardian living within 50 road miles of Marshall University.

She also has to stay in the dorms for two years (60 credit hours).

I assume she could apply for financial hardship, but the document ru4mu2 posted says: Note: A request for release due to personal financial hardship will not be granted if the Financial Aid Office's Award Package has met your financial needs. All aid, including loans, must be accepted. A request for residing off campus for financial savings is not a valid reason for a financial hardship.

Edit: This is pretty standard. Most campuses require at least the first year on campus unless you are living with your legal guardian with a 30-50 mile range. Exemptions might also include a child, married, military, etc. but for a "typical" first year college student, those don't apply. I assume by "Southern" you are referring to Georgia Southern . . . They also require on campus unless she is living with her guardians within 30 miles.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:37:50 AM by GoHerd35 »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 07:34:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure why, but here's the link to the resident housing page.  There is a number on there that could probably give you better answers than you'll get on here.  You make a valid argument for her to live with you, IMO.  https://www.marshall.edu/housing/files/completereleaserequest.pdf

From the above link a quotation.
    "Marshall University requires that all freshman and sophomore single students enrolled for twelve (12) or more
    semester credit hours reside in the University's residence halls and participate in a meal plan. This requirement excludes
    summer sessions and is applicable until the attainment of junior academic standing (sixty [60] semester credit hours),
    or the receipt of an exemption from the Office of Housing and Residence Life."

This policy has been effect for  several years,as far I as know. wvu and most of the state colleges also requires all first year students to live on campus in a dorm.

The young lady had better do some research on housing requirements at other college ASAP. It is just a few months before the fall semester starts and it will get busy in the admissions offices.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:41:23 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline MUther

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 08:36:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't her parents just transfer guardianship to you for the duration?  That seems the easiest way to go.  She can apply for emancipation by her junior year to dissolve the guardianship and also be eligible for assistance on her own merit if needed at that time. Or set up one of her parents as a resident at your place with mail and change of address on ID etc.  They can't prove nor would they go through the trouble of trying to prove that the one parent doesn't live there.  Dumb you have to go through with it from that angle, but could save thousands per year and would be worth it.

The following users thanked this post: MU42

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 08:42:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't her parents just transfer guardianship to you for the duration?  That seems the easiest way to go.  She can apply for emancipation by her junior year to dissolve the guardianship and also be eligible for assistance on her own merit if needed at that time. Or set up one of her parents as a resident at your place with mail and change of address on ID etc.  They can't prove nor would they go through the trouble of trying to prove that the one parent doesn't live there.  Dumb you have to go through with it from that angle, but could save thousands per year and would be worth it.

Second way seems like a lot of trouble:

Required Documentation for Change in Permanent Residence (all listed are required):
    1. Verification of residency may consist of mortgage or deed of trust, deed, or a lease in name of the parent(s);
    2. Updated driver?s licenses for both the student and the parent/guardian; and
    3. Proof of residency by verification of local employment from the parent or legal guardian must be provided.

Offline MUther

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2024, 08:52:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Second way seems like a lot of trouble:

Required Documentation for Change in Permanent Residence (all listed are required):
    1. Verification of residency may consist of mortgage or deed of trust, deed, or a lease in name of the parent(s);
    2. Updated driver?s licenses for both the student and the parent/guardian; and
    3. Proof of residency by verification of local employment from the parent or legal guardian must be provided.

Nah, licenses are easy.  He simply leases his sibling a room in the house with receipt but no money changes hand, and who says you have to be locally employed?  Lots of people work from home or across state lines, especially in a tri-state area.  Would not apply.  Just need to document it.  I mean for 1000s of dollars in savings there would need to be some effort on their part.  And I don't know where her parents live.  If they're in WV already it's even easier.  It's a viable solution even if not optimal.  Nobody was suggesting an end-around so added a few alternatives to the problem.

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2024, 09:00:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nah, licenses are easy.  He simply leases his sibling a room in the house with receipt but no money changes hand, and who says you have to be locally employed?  Lots of people work from home or across state lines, especially in a tri-state area.  Would not apply.  Just need to document it.  I mean for 1000s of dollars in savings there would need to be some effort on their part.  And I don't know where her parents live.  If they're in WV already it's even easier.  It's a viable solution even if not optimal.  Nobody was suggesting an end-around so added a few alternatives to the problem.

The local employment would be the main issue, but I guess you could claim you lost your job and that's why you had to move as well. *shrug*

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2024, 09:17:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do the dorms still fill up every fall?  If the dorms still fill up before the fall semester begins just wait to apply for housing until after the dorms are full and they have no available rooms. 

The dorms were full when I applied.  Marshall gave me a choice between living in a hotel room arranged by Marshall until a dorm room became available OR Marshall would waive the on campus living required and I could make my own living arrangements.  The decision was mine I simply had to notify Marshall of my decision. 

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2024, 09:18:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The local employment would be the main issue, but I guess you could claim you lost your job and that's why you had to move as well. *shrug*

You have to wonder if the Marshall Admissions Office might figure out the scheme after they denied her request twice? They could just reject her again for trying this plan. Just sayin.

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2024, 09:24:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I assume by "Southern" you are referring to Georgia Southern . . . They also require on campus unless she is living with her guardians within 30 miles.

i assumed by "southern" poster was referring to SWVCC (or whatever it might be called now?  it's probably a university now?  haha).

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 09:39:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do the dorms still fill up every fall?  If the dorms still fill up before the fall semester begins just wait to apply for housing until after the dorms are full and they have no available rooms. 

The dorms were full when I applied.  Marshall gave me a choice between living in a hotel room arranged by Marshall until a dorm room became available OR Marshall would waive the on campus living required and I could make my own living arrangements.  The decision was mine I simply had to notify Marshall of my decision.

When did you attend Marshall, was that before they built the new dorms? Remember, enrollment has dropped from Covid and hasn't recovered. I guess there might be empty dorms rooms this fall due to the decline in enrollment, not sure?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline HerdHopeful07

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2024, 09:44:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was speaking with an old coworker that still works for housing. She told me they are completely full and now are starting to actually let people out if they request over the last couple weeks. She also said they have a waitlist.

Herd Fan because every victory is a little bit sweeter

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2024, 09:50:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was speaking with an old coworker that still works for housing. She told me they are completely full and now are starting to actually let people out if they request over the last couple weeks. She also said they have a waitlist.
    Have heard the same.  The enrollment being down argument is true as a whole, but the incoming Freshman numbers are back on track tp pre-covid levels and are expected to be higher in 2024.  https://www.marshall.edu/irp/enrollmentTrendsDashboard/

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2024, 10:00:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have heard the same.  The enrollment being down argument is true as a whole, but the incoming Freshman numbers are back on track tp pre-covid levels and are expected to be higher in 2024.  https://www.marshall.edu/irp/enrollmentTrendsDashboard/

I just talked to someone at Marshall and they are currently prioritizing rooms for Freshman and have stopped taking reservations for Juniors and Seniors into the dorms. There is a wait list. Usually some Freshmen don't show up for the Fall Semester which happens every year. I would guess the dorms will be full this fall.

This is very good news for Marshall, enrollment seems to be recovering! This will help the revenue flow at Marshall and help reduce the deficit!

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: July 03, 2024, 10:35:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When I attended Marshall the requirements were a new notebook and a tuition check that wouldn't bounce and they were willing to negotiate on the notebook.

Offline puma

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2024, 11:05:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Most colleges require Freshman to live in dorms. I had to get an exemption (not at Marshall) because I was a veteran and that was 25+ years ago.

That being said, if she's submitted the documentation twice, she needs escalate. Has she actually spoken with someone at Housing and Residence Life? Like on the phone to an actual person and not just mailing in paperwork? I'd do that first and if it doesn't go anywhere, call Brad's office and explain her financial hardship and family situation and that she's considering either dropping out or going elsewhere because of this requirement. Put the ball in Marshall's court.

Hopefully, there's just some sort of miscommunication. These kind of housing rules clearly aren't designed to prevent aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc. from hosting their family members while they're in school. If they don't provide an exemption, then that's just ridiculous.

But I'd definitely escalate before playing games with guardianships, changing permanent addresses, or anything like that.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2024, 01:24:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And understand that there are no rules at a higher institution that can't be altered or waived by the people in Old Main. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2024, 05:07:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I lived at Boneys my entire first semester at Marshall
    It got a little loud when trying to study especially when Echols rode his motorcycle in there

Offline Big City

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2024, 05:56:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have the pediatrician or family doctor write a letter stating something to the effect, living in the dorm isn't right for the student. Submit that letter to Marshall and they will approve living off campus.

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2024, 06:59:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When I attended Marshall the requirements were a new notebook and a tuition check that wouldn't bounce and they were willing to negotiate on the notebook.

When I first entered the University, they never mentioned the notebook...
    I did figure the notebook out...lol...

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2024, 07:31:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Update:
    Marshall University housing prepares for overflow of students

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/07/24/marshall-university-housing-prepares-overflow-students/

Hopefully the above means that there will be increase in the overall number of students at Marshall?
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 07:59:40 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2024, 07:31:58 AM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2024, 09:28:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, MU's NEXT major capital project needs to be razing the large dorm, Holderby, along 5th Ave., which is vacant and has been removed, apparently, from the available campus housing.  Originally built in the early 60s, its whole design, rooms layout, etc., aren't in vogue in today's college environment.  Plans are, IIRC, to build a new, modern housing facility on that sight, perhaps a CO-ED structure.  Such a modern, well designed and constructed facility could be a factor in recruiting more 21st Century students to Marshall!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2024, 09:28:23 PM »