Author Topic: Virginia Tech, Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, NC State and Georgia  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All the within a few years, I?d like to hear everyone?s thoughts?

HerdFans.com

Offline MUther

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 6 games, already won two of them and lost a third by a touchdown.  What's not to like?

The following users thanked this post: Johnnyherd

Online MUfan08

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

In what context?

We have been playing these types of teams whether it was the bowl alliance era, BCS era, or P5/4 era.

Online svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In what context?

We have been playing these types of teams whether it was the bowl alliance era, BCS era, or P5/4 era.

Snyder and Huff seem to have played more major P5's than Doc did. I am sure I am wrong but ole Snides played some brutal schedules.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, Lord Haw-Haw

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need better ooc home games

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan, coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Grazing Marco

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do not mind a money game but Ohio State and Georgia are virtually unbeatable. Would prefer playing teams along the lines of the other four you mentioned.

I also agree we need better home games but that is going to have to come from the G5 ranks as I doubt a P4 school will ever set foot in the Joan again. Glad we went out with a win against VT. We have Boise coming to Huntington in a few years, otherwise it is pretty bleak on that front.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, MUfan08

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do not mind a money game but Ohio State and Georgia are virtually unbeatable. Would prefer playing teams along the lines of the other four you mentioned.

I also agree we need better home games but that is going to have to come from the G5 ranks as I doubt a P4 school will ever set foot in the Joan again. Glad we went out with a win against VT. We have Boise coming to Huntington in a few years, otherwise it is pretty bleak on that front.

Just hope that MU is getting a 7-figure payoff to play "Jaw-Gah" down between the Hedges!!  Same amount also to go to Happy Valley and play PSU.  Would like to see if Spears can get another game with Pitt up at the Steelers venue.  Enjoyed the trip there the last time the HERD faced the Panthers, aside from the final score!!

As for games for the "other half" of the "Power 5", or "4" world, well, the HERD has fared well enough against schools from that so-called "Higher Tier" world,  that the Vandys, Northwesterns, and the other half of that "world" wouldn't touch a game with MU with a FIFTY FOOT POLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need better ooc home games

VT last year might be the last P4 home game any of us ever see again, and I don't think there's anything even the best theoretically possible athletic director at Marshall could do about that.

But we do need to do a helluva lot better than MTSU and Missouri State for G5 matchups.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online HerdEcon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Scheduling and playing P4 schools does not excite me.  Everyone has to play someone and there are plenty of P4 money games to be played.  Winning vs P4 teams excites me.

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thing is if we are going to play top 5 programs on the road each year we need a cupcake ooc home schedule for wins.  However if we schedule good p4 teams but not great for away games then we can beef up home ooc schedule. 

Offline IM4DHERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were 5-4 vs. MTSU in CUSA.  No need to say they are not worthy.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: svherd, miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MUther

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were 5-4 vs. MTSU in CUSA.  No need to say they are not worthy.

Yeah with games like missing 5 field goals.  They really weren't worthy, we just always played like crap there for some reason and it's not because they were good.  They were our Bowling Green of CUSA.

The following users thanked this post: gochneaur645

HerdFans.com

Offline GreenDaddy

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can see the appeal for $1.7 million.

*Meant to post this in the Georgia thread.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • West Virginia, South Carolina, Clemson, Michigan State, North Carolina, Florida, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Kansas State, Ohio State, Georgia.

We played regular season games with all of those schools within our first 8 years of I-A. 

This is not much different, nor should it be.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, whf, luckytoes99, MicDrass1

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • West Virginia, South Carolina, Clemson, Michigan State, North Carolina, Florida, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Kansas State, Ohio State, Georgia.

We played regular season games with all of those schools within our first 8 years of I-A. 

This is not much different, nor should it be.

Could have beat them all except Vt and Fla put it on us.  Rest we were in it and officiating, turnovers and poor kicking killed us.  Snyder era started our getting smoked ooc.  But Huff has brought a rebound so far.  Man .... all of the Huff era could have been excellent with a Top 40 ncaa Qb. 
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 09:09:10 AM by MicDrass1 »

Offline wasbarryb

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After reading the subject line Va Tec, Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, NC State and Georgia; I was expecting the next line to read "All walk into a bar........
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:05:10 AM by wasbarryb »

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i think the some recent and almost all upcoming schedules are above average when considering a few decades of history.  something shifted a bit sometime in the middle or latter parts of Hamrick and Doc's tenure- prior to that shift some of the schedules were terrible (i don't recall timelines)

i see nothing wrong with playing our peers 1 for 1 (CUSA, AAC, MAC).

if we're going to play FCS- as much as possible, at least invite those who are at the top of FCS.

i don't mind playing new or rarely played teams like Missouri St.

we know we're rarely, if ever again, going to get P5 (or whatever they'll be called) teams in Huntington.

going forward, the reality is, unless something major financially changes, Marshall must get at least one payday per year (if they are even available in the future)

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, svherd, GreenDaddy

Offline carolinaherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I feel The University has just in time found leadership.
    They are doing everything in their power to financially resurrect our once great program...
    I believe they will be successful, but it'll take time and patience.
    It would be nice to play Purdue or Indiana etc.. but they can't afford to take the chance.
    FTR: many big ten or , SEC teams can defeat these teams.

Online herdloyal

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What?s happened to Cincy, Louisville and Kentucky

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Offline carolinaherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What?s happened to Cincy, Louisville and Kentucky

On average years. Cincy and Louisville are on par with Marshall.
    Uk under Stoops have moved up a notch.
    The winner/loser game on natty tv this fall evening between Uk and Carolina will answer which teams coach returns in 2025 I believe...

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On average years. Cincy and Louisville are on par with Marshall.

I think that?s going to change and if it doesn?t then NIL money doesn?t matter.

Schools like Cincinnati, Louisville, Houston, Memphis and SMU have very respectable NIL programs.

I saw FedEx pledged 25 Million to Memphis
    Cincinnati claims they have one of the best NIL program and have near 100 Million total
    I?m not sure about Louisville Nil but they have a large athletic budget 150 million per year, + a bank just paid 42 million for naming rights of the former Papa John?s Stadium
    Every football and basketball player at SMU gets $36,000 -200,000 each
    Houston pays all players between 25,000 - 200,000 each

So these former CUSA / American schools that we used to compete with are fully invested in pay for play world.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online herd1990

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need these games to pay the bills and stay somewhat competitive. I say schedule as many as you can.  Are people really worried about losing 50-7?  It's not like running the table with a soft schedule will get us anywhere.

HerdFans.com

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that?s going to change and if it doesn?t then NIL money doesn?t matter.

Schools like Cincinnati, Louisville, Houston, Memphis and SMU have very respectable NIL programs.

I saw FedEx pledged 25 Million to Memphis
    Cincinnati claims they have one of the best NIL program and have near 100 Million total
    I?m not sure about Louisville Nil but they have a large athletic budget 150 million per year, + a bank just paid 42 million for naming rights of the former Papa John?s Stadium
    Every football and basketball player at SMU gets $36,000 -200,000 each
    Houston pays all players between 25,000 - 200,000 each

So these former CUSA / American schools that we used to compete with are fully invested in pay for play world.

Wonder if MU has fully tapped into the flourishing industrial, commercial and other business entities in the "booming" Cabell-Huntington and surrounding environs to bolster its NIL funds, etc.  Entities like Hill Billy Hotdogs, Gino's, the new but bustling latest "Chicken Shack" in town, and last, but not least, the always busy and ever-growing various business entities involved in the "needle supply chain" for the Greater Huntington area!!

Offline ThunderDent

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• We need these games to pay the bills and stay somewhat competitive. I say schedule as many as you can.  Are people really worried about losing 50-7?  It's not like running the table with a soft schedule will get us anywhere.

Before last year I would have agreed with you, but the committee tossing Liberty into the NY6 playing no one changed my mind.

That said, I want to play P4 games.

Offline MUther

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Before last year I would have agreed with you, but the committee tossing Liberty into the NY6 playing no one changed my mind.

That said, I want to play P4 games.

They got very lucky as every other "qualified" team had at least two losses.  And they got embarrassed in the bowl.  I don't see that happening again.  The committee is famous for taking losses over good teams instead of wins over trash as their representative. 

HerdFans.com