Author Topic: SHR- - Another Loss . . .  (Read 1700 times)

Offline coalherd

SHR- - Another Loss . . .
« on: July 16, 2024, 12:49:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . in the Huntington-Cabell County economy just announced in that longtime local food industry mainstay, the S.S. Logan Packing Co. is closing.  Announcement was made by parent company, Buzz Foods, in Charleston.  The two companies had merged a while back when the Charleston company acquired Logan.  Cost of equipment and other upgrades at the Huntington facility were a main factor cited.  Logan had distributed the Cavalier Meat products in the Huntington-Tri State area for decades.  That will all continue out of Charleston going forward.

40 jobs will be (negatively) affected in Huntington.  Any such negative events can't be positive in any way for Marshall, IMO.  Guess the long downturn and overall decline over recent decades and throughout current "Hizzoner" Williams' administration will continue through the very last seconds of his tenure!!  Growing Again in Huntington!!

HerdFans.com

SHR- - Another Loss . . .
    « on: July 16, 2024, 12:49:12 AM »

Offline banker

Re: SHR- - Another Loss . . .
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 03:21:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How can you create the pretzel in your mind to link a business closing to the mayor?  Logan never reinvested profits in modernizing or growing their business, which is one of the reasons they got bought out and the reason the new owners thought it too expensive to bring the operation into the 21st century.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Nicks Pizza

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 03:44:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How can you create the pretzel in your mind to link a business closing to the mayor?  Logan never reinvested profits in modernizing or growing their business, which is one of the reasons they got bought out and the reason the new owners thought it too expensive to bring the operation into the 21st century.

Keep telling yourself that the City is "growing" and has been throughout the Mayor's "tenure", such that it is.  Maybe the Needle "Give away" business, but that's about it!!

Offline MUther

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 06:46:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Keep telling yourself that the City is "growing" and has been throughout the Mayor's "tenure", such that it is.  Maybe the Needle "Give away" business, but that's about it!!

Banker has the right of this.  Has nothing to do with location and is all about how the business was run.  They are keeping the product line and shuttering the business.  This one is not on the city and it is a real stretch to try to make it so.  40 jobs is nothing.  A single McDonalds has 40 employees.  If they were laying off 4,000 you might have a point.  There's enough wrong with Huntington without manufacturing more stuff to pile on.  I hope they level that eyesore meat plant and create more parking and/or facilities for Marshall.  It's right in the heart of the athletic complex we're creating.  Could be a big help to Marshall rather than a detriment.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, gochneaur645

Offline svherd

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 08:19:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not gonna elaborate but what I learned yesterday about Williams, his wife Mary, and her involvement in Recovery Point and other drug houses is disappointing and disgusting. And the person speaking with me has the numbers to prove some sad stuff. Williams has allowed Huntington to become the recovery house for America.
    My hope and prayer is that Patrick Ferrell will correct these wrongs.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, coalherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 08:51:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not gonna elaborate but what I learned yesterday about Williams, his wife Mary, and her involvement in Recovery Point and other drug houses is disappointing and disgusting. And the person speaking with me has the numbers to prove some sad stuff. Williams has allowed Huntington to become the recovery house for America.
    My hope and prayer is that Patrick Ferrell will correct these wrongs.

I know Steve, and I know Mary.  I'll say this one time and one time only... STEVE WILLIAMS IS NOT PROFITING FROM THE RECOVERY HOUSES.  PERIOD.

The City has gone to court to challenge them, and the courts said that they were homes to "disabled" people and letting them live together was a "reasonable accommodation" required under federal law (ADA).  There is, simply, nothing the City can do to stop them.  The City has tried.  Stop spreading the lies and innuendo about Mayor Wms. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, BigJimslade

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 08:58:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know Steve, and I know Mary.  I'll say this one time and one time only... STEVE WILLIAMS IS NOT PROFITING FROM THE RECOVERY HOUSES.  PERIOD.

The City has gone to court to challenge them, and the courts said that they were homes to "disabled" people and letting them live together was a "reasonable accommodation" required under federal law (ADA).  There is, simply, nothing the City can do to stop them.  The City has tried.  Stop spreading the lies and innuendo about Mayor Wms.

The person I spoke with and now work with, worked within the county and performed tax audits, etc. I will not go into detail but Mrs. Williams was mentioned and it was told to me that Recovery Point had a 300K profit in 2022. That it involved EBT cards, and how funds were managed, and those in treatment taken advantage of. Sorry, Mark.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 09:32:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recovery Point had a 300K profit in 2022.

For an organization that size, 300K is inconsequential and could easily be a matter of timing of accounting. I am on the board of several nonprofits. Some years you have good years, some years you have bad years. I was on one non-profit board that went from the verge of bankruptcy to a million dollar profit year back to the verge of bankruptcy over the course of ten years or so.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2024, 09:49:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The person I spoke with and now work with, worked within the county and performed tax audits, etc. I will not go into detail but Mrs. Williams was mentioned and it was told to me that Recovery Point had a 300K profit in 2022. That it involved EBT cards, and how funds were managed, and those in treatment taken advantage of. Sorry, Mark.

You imply that the City is running these homes.  Its not.  Any profit (and the other poster is correct... for Recovery Point, $300k is nothing) goes to the owners, of which Mary and Steve are not participants.  I don't know how much more clear I can make this. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: BigJimslade

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 10:15:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You imply that the City is running these homes.  Its not.  Any profit (and the other poster is correct... for Recovery Point, $300k is nothing) goes to the owners, of which Mary and Steve are not participants.  I don't know how much more clear I can make this.

Well Williams sure isn't stopping it!!! I'm sure a few of you bleeding heart liberals just love these needle handouts. Clean it up with zero tolerance period!!!

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2024, 10:22:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Well Williams sure isn't stopping it!!! I'm sure a few of you bleeding heart liberals just love these needle handouts. Clean it up with zero tolerance period!!!

WTF?  I've never been called a "bleeding heart liberal" in my life by anyone that knows me.

And we were discussing the recovery houses, not needle handouts.  As I noted before, the City has TRIED to stop the recovery houses and the courts ruled against it.  I'm not sure what you expect the City (and Mayor Wms) to do? 

And I'm not going to get into an argument with you over needle exchange.  There is ample evidence on both sides of that issue that it works, or it causes too many problems to make it sustainable.  Its a very difficult problem without an easy solution. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, BigJimslade

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2024, 10:52:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I should know better than to comment on this topic. Let me say for the final time, that even though it appears otherwise, I have no personal beef with Steve Williams. I am sure in his mind, he is doing what he feels is best for Huntington. During his tenure, our city has improved in many areas, not so much in others. I am just a lifelong citizen with family and kids who have chosen to stay here. I want this city to be the best it can be for their future. Yes, every city has a drug issue, among other things. But that's not an excuse to simply throw our hands up and say we can't do anything about it.
    If this city is going to grow and reverse the population loss and brain drain, we must combat the drug issues, rectify the housing issue and recruit/retain business that will create jobs and keep the brightest from leaving and encourage young professionals to move here. Sadly, we aren't there - yet. Until we rectify these issues, it will be an uphill battle. I am hopeful a new administration will tackle theses issues head on; and with the help of Brad Smith's efforts at Marshall - will propel Huntington forward and make us the shining city of WV. We owe it to our kids, grandkids, and the youth of this city.

And let me say again, I appreciate Mark, he has a unique perspective of the city and our school based in his history with both.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 10:54:02 AM by svherd »

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2024, 10:52:31 AM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2024, 11:12:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WTF?  I've never been called a "bleeding heart liberal" in my life by anyone that knows me.

And we were discussing the recovery houses, not needle handouts.  As I noted before, the City has TRIED to stop the recovery houses and the courts ruled against it.  I'm not sure what you expect the City (and Mayor Wms) to do? 

And I'm not going to get into an argument with you over needle exchange.  There is ample evidence on both sides of that issue that it works, or it causes too many problems to make it sustainable.  Its a very difficult problem without an easy solution.

Steve Williams supports both. It needs stopped yesterday.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2024, 11:20:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Steve Williams supports both. It needs stopped yesterday.

You're going to have a tough time for the next 4-12 years, then, since its my understanding that neither mayoral candidate has any plans to push for the elimination of either issue -- even if the Mayor could.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: BigJimslade

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2024, 11:48:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're going to have a tough time for the next 4-12 years, then, since its my understanding that neither mayoral candidate has any plans to push for the elimination of either issue -- even if the Mayor could.

You are right, it will be tough!!

Offline svherd

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2024, 12:07:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Parkersburg has made strides and now Morgantown is trying to make progress as well concerning drug houses and the homeless issue. What are they doing right and Huntington wrong?

Parkersburg did a survey of their recovery houses and needle exchange program. The mayor said they found that persons from 26 states were being housed and treated at some point. He has gone on record as saying P'burg won't become America's recovery house.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, coalherd, herdorbust2

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2024, 12:35:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Well Williams sure isn't stopping it!!! I'm sure a few of you bleeding heart liberals just love these needle handouts. Clean it up with zero tolerance period!!!

I see you are drinking the kool-aide about recovery facilities.
    I guess u have a better way of helping those addicted to drugs.
    If so let?s hear it. Maybe your ideas will spawn a new way of treating people

Offline svherd

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2024, 12:49:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see you are drinking the kool-aide about recovery facilities.
    I guess u have a better way of helping those addicted to drugs.
    If so let?s hear it. Maybe your ideas will spawn a new way of treating people

I take it you fully endorse the course we have taken? The city continues to lose population due to the drug epidemic, no jobs for the most part. You have no issues that recovery houses are not held to any checks and balances or requirements on what services to provide? You don't care that they take advantage of those seeking treatment by abusing their personal EBT cards and charging for services and meals that aren't provided. Funny, many facilities get food donated (little ceasars, qdoba, etc,) but the houses charge the residents cards  despite that little nugget of information.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2024, 01:04:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As someone whose son was a resident of one of these recovery houses, one of the first ones actually, I am thankful as hell for what they do. Lifehouse was basically the 3rd attempt we made for rehab which included a prolonged stay at a very expensive facility in Georgia which was unsuccessful. Rocky's program is what helped him get and STAY sober! They aren't always successful, but they have done a lot more good than harm.

I think Mayor Williams gets tied to them because he has been involved in the fight against addiction. He's spoken many times at awareness events and other places and hes praised the successes.  Thats probably why people make him a "partner"
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2024, 01:20:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The needle exchange program has/is bolstering Huntington's population.  I was told by a law enforcement officer that at 3 am every morning, 7 days a week, that 3 busloads of users and dealers are off boarded at the bus station.  It's usually 2 from Columbus and 1 from Detroit.  If this is true then what can be done?  IMO ending the needle exchange program because it seems to serve more outsiders than local residents.  It also creates a less than safe environment in town.  I was downtown a few days ago in the early afternoon and saw a woman who was higher than a kite,  standing in the middle of 3rd Ave., in front of Pullman Square, trying to stop traffic and needless to say she was somewhat successful.

A couple of weeks ago or so there were offices in one of the buildings across from Pullman where street people were coming in and scoping out the offices for who knows what.  One law office uses the basement of their building for storage.  One day a female from the office went down to the basement to get some files and she found 6 street people living there.  Needless to say she was terrified.

It's my understanding that Ferrell wants to end the needle exchange program.  If so, I hope he gets elected as Wheeler will def keep everything status quo imo.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2024, 01:55:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The needle exchange program has/is bolstering Huntington's population.  I was told by a law enforcement officer that at 3 am every morning, 7 days a week, that 3 busloads of users and dealers are off boarded at the bus station.  It's usually 2 from Columbus and 1 from Detroit.  If this is true then what can be done?  IMO ending the needle exchange program because it seems to serve more outsiders than local residents.  It also creates a less than safe environment in town.  I was downtown a few days ago in the early afternoon and saw a woman who was higher than a kite,  standing in the middle of 3rd Ave., in front of Pullman Square, trying to stop traffic and needless to say she was somewhat successful.

A couple of weeks ago or so there were offices in one of the buildings across from Pullman where street people were coming in and scoping out the offices for who knows what.  One law office uses the basement of their building for storage.  One day a female from the office went down to the basement to get some files and she found 6 street people living there.  Needless to say she was terrified.

It's my understanding that Ferrell wants to end the needle exchange program.  If so, I hope he gets elected as Wheeler will def keep everything status quo imo.

I believe both Parkersburg and Charleston have ended their programs with good results. Guess where the junkies come for free needles? The Jewel City. And didn't we have a big HIV outbreak a few years ago DESPITE having a needle exchange program? Charleston did at the time as well.
    Look, I want those to get treatment who truly desire treatment. And I hope they can get their lives in order. But when a city is known more for it's staggering amount of recovery houses than anything else, that's a huge issue and a huge deterrent for companies and families looking for a place to locate. Harsh but true.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2024, 02:00:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was told by a law enforcement officer that at 3 am every morning, 7 days a week, that 3 busloads of users and dealers are off boarded at the bus station.  It's usually 2 from Columbus and 1 from Detroit.

That's 150/day and over 1000/week.  The entire population of Huntington would double in a year.

That claim - and I don't care who told you about it - is unmitigated bull$hit.

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2024, 02:00:07 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2024, 02:05:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's 150/day and over 1000/week.  The entire population of Huntington would double in a year.

That claim - and I don't care who told you about it - is unmitigated bull$hit.

What makes you think they stay for a year or even 6 months? I'm sure they come and go with the programs they can find here. Huntington is like a sponge for users to come here. They get free needles and then get treated at the same time. What a business and revolving door.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2024, 02:33:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's see now, a City whose population has gone from around 86,000 to well under 50 thousand and continuing to plunge towards 40,000, and probably UNDER, and the loss of 40 jobs is "nothing"!!!  And it wasn't all that long ago that some other job producing entity in H-town moved out of the City itself and set up along I-64 in the Milton-Hurrican area, IIRC.  Williams will leave office and the talk about upgrading the High-Speed internet system in certain areas of the City that is so vital to attract 21st century business and industry entities will still be just that:  "TALK".  Yeah, the needle exchange "enterprise" may be drawing people to Huntington and make a bunch of "touchy-feely" bleeding hearts all "warm and fuzzy", but it is not attracting the right kinds of folks and businesses the City so desperately needs!!

Now, Hizzoner wants to do for the State what he has "done" for Huntington.  Sorry, but come early November, his butt is going to be ground into the dust/dirt at the polls.

Too many in the City, call em the "Stuck in the 50s" crowd, want to live in, and perhaps "capture", the distant past.  Instead of seriously addressing the present, and future needs of, and issues facing, the City.  What have similar cities done that have produced positive, and not negative, results as found too much in Huntington?

For decades, the City, and many people, decried the location of I-64 around the City.  When I came to MU in the 60s, the 16th street exit off of I-64 was in places barely a two lane "road" creeping along a steep hillside.  SIXTY years later it looks like the City will FINALLY have a modern access road/highway all the way from 3rd Avenue out to I-64 when the work on Hal Greer is "completed", whenever that will be!!

I've cited the examples before of Roanoke, VA, and Johnson City, TN.  The location of the main East-West Interstate, I-81, is farther outside of BOTH cities than I-64 is to Huntington.  Yet, years, even decades, before now, both Cities emphasized, fought for, and got, modern roads from that Interstate to, and through their Cities, UNLIKE Huntington.  In the 1950 Census, the population of those 2 Cities were smaller than Huntington's.  Economically, all 3 Cities depended greatly on the Railroad industry!  Today, Roanoke's population is heading toward 100,000, Johnson City's is between 70,000 and 80,000, while Huntington's is under 50,000 and dropping. What has happened, and continues to happen, in all 3 Cities to help explain the differences???

Today, whenever the Appalachian Highway corridor from Parkersburg to the Virginia State line is completed, then the main big road project that needs to be sped up and completed is the portion of the I-73/74 highway slated to run from Detroit to Myrtle Beach: in West Virginia, the so-called King Coal Highway from Wayne County to Mercer County!!  Though not directly to Huntington itself, it gives the Huntington area, Tri-State area, the opportunity to have BOTH modern North-South and East-West highways close by.  Hopefully, the leadership in Huntington will finally realize what possible economic benefits could result, as up to now, neither the City government leadership nor business leaders in the City have spoken out forcibly and consistently in favor of the speedy construction of said highway!!  I guess because they felt "snubbed" since it was going to and through Wayne County!!!  Boo Hoo!!

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2024, 11:41:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Parkersburg has made strides and now Morgantown is trying to make progress as well concerning drug houses and the homeless issue. What are they doing right and Huntington wrong?

Parkersburg did a survey of their recovery houses and needle exchange program. The mayor said they found that persons from 26 states were being housed and treated at some point. He has gone on record as saying P'burg won't become America's recovery house.
    Good for Parkersburg. They finally see the light. Get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2024, 11:41:23 AM »