Author Topic: MU soccer rosters updated for season  (Read 1412 times)

Offline chris88

MU soccer rosters updated for season
« on: July 16, 2024, 10:26:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

Here is some info i found on a couple of transfers

Rohin Kapila/D/jr
    2023 (Sophomore). Started 18 games, played 1559 minutes, Horizon League Championships All-Tournament Team. third on the team in both goals (2) and points (7)... led the team in goal percentage at 33.3%...

2022 (Freshman). Appeared in 14 of GB's 16 games... three shot attempts...

High School. Saskatchewan youth player of the year... Saskatchewan provincial soccer league top goal scorer... played for Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy... Played in Rotterdam Cup, USSDA, GA Cup (USA/Madrid)... Honor roll every semester...

Eddie DeMarco/GK/jr
    2023. Started his first of nine matches vs. Rutgers securing a win in his collegiate debut. Saved six shots. Recorded a shutout at Loyola Maryland
    Posted an overall record of 5-2-2 (1-2-2 in conference play). Tied for the team lead in saves (24)
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdFanJ, parshall2marshall, svherd, herd33

HerdFans.com

MU soccer rosters updated for season
    « on: July 16, 2024, 10:26:07 AM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: MU soccer rosters updated for season
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 11:22:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

Here is some info i found on a couple of transfers

Rohin Kapila/D/jr
    2023 (Sophomore). Started 18 games, played 1559 minutes, Horizon League Championships All-Tournament Team. third on the team in both goals (2) and points (7)... led the team in goal percentage at 33.3%...

2022 (Freshman). Appeared in 14 of GB's 16 games... three shot attempts...

High School. Saskatchewan youth player of the year... Saskatchewan provincial soccer league top goal scorer... played for Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy... Played in Rotterdam Cup, USSDA, GA Cup (USA/Madrid)... Honor roll every semester...

Eddie DeMarco/GK/jr
    2023. Started his first of nine matches vs. Rutgers securing a win in his collegiate debut. Saved six shots. Recorded a shutout at Loyola Maryland
    Posted an overall record of 5-2-2 (1-2-2 in conference play). Tied for the team lead in saves (24)

AGP gone

Big loss

Tons of depth at CB

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 11:34:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Time for the transfers to step up. If we shore up the back end defense, we should be fine.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline chris88

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 11:36:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • AGP gone

Big loss

Tons of depth at CB

What happened to Garcia Pasquel?

Never mind...saw he is going pro in native Spain. Congratulations!!

"Son of Marshall, Alvaro Garcia Pascual, is headed to the Spanish pro league!!

Garcia will be playing for the second team of Seville FC with high hopes of moving up to the first team.

Seville FC is currently ranked 14th in La Liga."

That means we had three players leave for pro soccer: Two to MLS in Bell and Duggan. One to Spain. Plus All-conf caliber keeper Perotta. Still expect a top 20 ranking since much of first poll is based on last year
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 11:46:18 AM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, elginherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 11:57:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • AGP gone

Big loss

Tons of depth at CB

AGP is a beast with speed.
    In our culture he'd probably have ended up playing football
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 12:11:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The dude was great. The goal he scored against WVU for the win was epic.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline puma

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 12:26:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do you guys feel going into this season? I finally bit the bullet and got season tickets for my family. We're all really excited.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline chris88

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 01:36:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do you guys feel going into this season? I finally bit the bullet and got season tickets for my family. We're all really excited.

Offense: Losing top two goal scorers to pros and Adjetey might present some challenges offensively. Getting AAC POY from Memphis will surely help. Sorto may be starter vs reserve. AGP's size is what we'll miss the most in the box. Silva had a great year that he'll hopefully build on. There is more help but won't have the experience/depth of last year.

MF: I think most of midfield is back if not all. I think Roberto started as a defender and was moved to mid or forward. He may be the key. Other guys coming in as transfers etc as well.

Backs: Look to be very solid even without Duggan.  Guys thrown in as FR should be much better 1-2 other defenders RS last year plus other transfers etc.

GK: Never really know, but on paper it looks like we have 2-3 solid keepers.

Overall we likely will not have the dynamic scoring we had last year but I expect us to get better as season progresses. The midfield and backline should among SBC best. The GK in our system should be solid due to the backfield and midfield players we have.  Caldeira was drafted but chose to come back to WVU. I think another draftee did as well but they lose the GK and a couple others. UK should be strong as their young team really progressed last season. JMU and UCF should also be good again.  Last I checked there were 120 season tix left in new section (out of 280) plus 9 singles total in other reserve sections and low availability in GA section.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, herd33, puma

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 02:04:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We are stout in the back 4

Midfield is solid but hopefully Sordo or someone else can add that creative juice

Strong on the wings but we need a striker

Who are our strikers?

The following users thanked this post: chris88, puma

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 04:38:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone seems to be demonstrating a lot more confidence in our defensive back line than I.  We lacked the size and physicality needed at the national contender level, and what size and physicality we had went to the MLS with Duggan.  I'm not certain his skill set and leadership been replaced this offseason. 

I also see a bit of a worrying sign that we brought in a junior transfer goalkeeper this late in the game (after we already brought in Janjic from Serbia) and is probably yet another sign that Rose may not be seen as fully ready in goal.

The Memphis transfer who was the AAC PotY, Lineker Rodrigues dos Santos, has been listed as a forward and is wearing the #7 (though he played as a midfielder last year for Memphis).  He had 14 goals and 5 assists last season, so I suspect he's now our scoring threat from wherever he is on the field at all time.  Sordo becoming a full time starter at midfield in interesting, he absolutely took our a couple games last years

With Linker (14 goals), Simon (7 goals), and Silva (7 goals) pushing forward with Sordo, Okiyoshi, and Stjernguard at midfield, I think we'll again be near the top of the nation in scoring...

... but I'm scared to death about our defensive line, especially when they play that other team in the state which is legit good enough to win it all this year.  They return 9 starters, and brought in two All-SBC first teamsters (Ethan Dekel Daks from South Carolina and Simon Carlson from Georgia State).  They thumped a USL pro team in their spring exhibition).  They will be even better this year.  I would be unsurprised to see them as preseason #2 in the country.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 04:41:57 PM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, svherd, chris88

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 10:34:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone seems to be demonstrating a lot more confidence in our defensive back line than I.  We lacked the size and physicality needed at the national contender level, and what size and physicality we had went to the MLS with Duggan.  I'm not certain his skill set and leadership been replaced this offseason. 

I also see a bit of a worrying sign that we brought in a junior transfer goalkeeper this late in the game (after we already brought in Janjic from Serbia) and is probably yet another sign that Rose may not be seen as fully ready in goal.

The Memphis transfer who was the AAC PotY, Lineker Rodrigues dos Santos, has been listed as a forward and is wearing the #7 (though he played as a midfielder last year for Memphis).  He had 14 goals and 5 assists last season, so I suspect he's now our scoring threat from wherever he is on the field at all time.  Sordo becoming a full time starter at midfield in interesting, he absolutely took our a couple games last years

With Linker (14 goals), Simon (7 goals), and Silva (7 goals) pushing forward with Sordo, Okiyoshi, and Stjernguard at midfield, I think we'll again be near the top of the nation in scoring...

... but I'm scared to death about our defensive line, especially when they play that other team in the state which is legit good enough to win it all this year.  They return 9 starters, and brought in two All-SBC first teamsters (Ethan Dekel Daks from South Carolina and Simon Carlson from Georgia State).  They thumped a USL pro team in their spring exhibition).  They will be even better this year.  I would be unsurprised to see them as preseason #2 in the country.

Agree with this. I am leery of our back line as well. And wasn't that impressed with the Memphis transfer in the spring games. Hopefully he was just working out the kinks and getting used to our system and playing with the guys.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline chris88

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 08:26:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also forgot we have Pablo Simon back at MF who could maybe move forward (7 goals). Roberto is listed as a F on roster. As I said above, lack of height up front could be an issue...especially on set pieces

On defense not sure the concern is completely warranted. Our CB have plenty of size with Amaro a solid frame and 6'1. Bamford had a good year as CB and MF at 6'2 with solid frame. Fujita had a great FR yr and is 6'2 and will be much stronger this year. Vukavich transferred in from Cal Riverside where he was 1st team all Big West in 2022 and is 6'3

On WB Pinto was all-conf HM I believe. Ethan Prescott was solid when he played. Both Godard and Stjernegaard played at WB at times last year.

Time will tell

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 08:26:02 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2024, 08:50:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also forgot we have Pablo Simon back at MF who could maybe move forward (7 goals). Roberto is listed as a F on roster. As I said above, lack of height up front could be an issue...especially on set pieces

On defense not sure the concern is completely warranted. Our CB have plenty of size with Amaro a solid frame and 6'1. Bamford had a good year as CB and MF at 6'2 with solid frame. Fujita had a great FR yr and is 6'2 and will be much stronger this year. Vukavich transferred in from Cal Riverside where he was 1st team all Big West in 2022 and is 6'3

On WB Pinto was all-conf HM I believe. Ethan Prescott was solid when he played. Both Godard and Stjernegaard played at WB at times last year.

Time will tell

My concern is our tendency to get lazy or lax with the ball and make bad passes when trying to set up our attack. We gave up a few goals last year by simply not clearing it and starting fresh. Teams that pressed us gave us fits at times. Gotta get that fixed. lol!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, elginherd, MicDrass1

Offline chris88

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2024, 10:29:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My concern is our tendency to get lazy or lax with the ball and make bad passes when trying to set up our attack. We gave up a few goals last year by simply not clearing it and starting fresh. Teams that pressed us gave us fits at times. Gotta get that fixed. lol!

I don't disagree but we've struggled with that every season since 2020.  That's mostly scheme design flaw and that is on Grassie. He would likely say it's an execution issue but there have been too many giveaways in that manner that led to goals and near goals...including at least two vs WVU in Mtown. If guys don't show a high level of execution consistently and it's not always the same guy, than a design tweak is in order IMO. I also agree there is nothing wrong with clearing the ball to the flanks and resetting defense vs trying to force passes into tight spaces close to the GK. There is no hockey "icing" rule in soccer. I'll bet that very few of our goals given up over the last several years have come from the other team starting in their own end and scoring. I think the majority have come from careless turnovers in our own end. If they hired me as their analytics guy that is one of first things I would look at.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, svherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 11:31:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My concern is our tendency to get lazy or lax with the ball and make bad passes when trying to set up our attack. We gave up a few goals last year by simply not clearing it and starting fresh. Teams that pressed us gave us fits at times. Gotta get that fixed. lol!

I agree.
    The teams that had forwards who were as skilled or more skilled than our backline were very successul against us.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online overherd1

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2024, 11:46:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think these are reasonable concerns over our defense.  I just remember that I didn't think our defensive end was particularly strong against Stanford in the game that ended our season.  Hopefully with the players coming back, we will be a little stronger in the back end.  Would be nice to make another run.  Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2024, 12:01:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't disagree but we've struggled with that every season since 2020.  That's mostly scheme design flaw and that is on Grassie. He would likely say it's an execution issue but there have been too many giveaways in that manner that led to goals and near goals...including at least two vs WVU in Mtown. If guys don't show a high level of execution consistently and it's not always the same guy, than a design tweak is in order IMO. I also agree there is nothing wrong with clearing the ball to the flanks and resetting defense vs trying to force passes into tight spaces close to the GK. There is no hockey "icing" rule in soccer. I'll bet that very few of our goals given up over the last several years have come from the other team starting in their own end and scoring. I think the majority have come from careless turnovers in our own end. If they hired me as their analytics guy that is one of first things I would look at.

Excellent points. Really enjoy your posts.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, elginherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2024, 12:07:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Time will tell

Amaro has a bit of a mean streak in him that helps that back line as well - we really missed him after he got hurt.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, chris88, overherd1

Offline chris88

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2024, 01:07:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excellent points. Really enjoy your posts.

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy your posts as well

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, svherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2024, 06:09:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think these are reasonable concerns over our defense.  I just remember that I didn't think our defensive end was particularly strong against Stanford in the game that ended our season.  Hopefully with the players coming back, we will be a little stronger in the back end.  Would be nice to make another run.  Go Herd!

Stanford's backline saved the Cardinal season.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #20 on: July 17, 2024, 06:40:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't disagree but we've struggled with that every season since 2020.  That's mostly scheme design flaw and that is on Grassie. He would likely say it's an execution issue but there have been too many giveaways in that manner that led to goals and near goals...including at least two vs WVU in Mtown. If guys don't show a high level of execution consistently and it's not always the same guy, than a design tweak is in order IMO. I also agree there is nothing wrong with clearing the ball to the flanks and resetting defense vs trying to force passes into tight spaces close to the GK. There is no hockey "icing" rule in soccer. I'll bet that very few of our goals given up over the last several years have come from the other team starting in their own end and scoring. I think the majority have come from careless turnovers in our own end. If they hired me as their analytics guy that is one of first things I would look at.

I agree Chris

Great stuff amigo

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online GoHerd35

« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 09:10:08 PM by GoHerd35 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, jsbowen, chris88, luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2024, 08:54:45 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2024, 12:12:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone go to the new kit unveiling last night? Wonder what kind of turnout we had?
    Like the new road unis - from the pics.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online GoHerd35

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2024, 10:35:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure how I missed this video, but alas:

https://x.com/HerdZone/status/1814394864198455716

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88