Author Topic: For baseball nerds  (Read 723 times)

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
For baseball nerds
« on: July 16, 2024, 10:44:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The book Baseball Cards at the Edge of War: 1941 The Games, The Gum and the Glory was just released.  In all transparency, I wrote the book, but I think it's of interest to folks in this group. You'll find it to be a light and fun summer read that will give you a new insight on the cards, the companies that produced them, the amazing season, and the players featured on the cards. it's great for baseball nerds.

https://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Cards-Edge-War-Games/dp/B0D6W5671Q/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&dib_tag=se&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ZyMDzdwuaAHkMorBJUboetXO8olX9K1ZKlQYBhHTNWwaGnZvOG_OhBUOZAPjBM61EJUaWAfEg3BebzoBJwqh7iI_C_jj7MjE3C1xZp1d1NY.cIe_Y_Bgd3BwwIrUtu3JawmcVc8KdfBbxrXCEEo8qJs&qid=1721141009&sr=8-2

HerdFans.com

For baseball nerds
    « on: July 16, 2024, 10:44:29 AM »

Offline coalherd

Re: For baseball nerds
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 02:45:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey bbcard1, you sound like you are a serious BB Card collector!!  Ever hear of baseball cards that were for a few years, in the 1950s and early 60s, put in chewing tobacco pouches?  Most think of the Topps, and perhaps other, chewing gum cards that many collected (I did too).  But Redman Tobacco put larger cards under the cellophane around packs of their chewing tobacco.  My dad worked in local coalmines back then and he use to bring me some of these cards from work.  They were about one and a half times larger than those cards in the bubble gum packs!!  Still have some of them along my other cards in a shoebox or two.

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 06:40:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the info BBCard1.  Will check it out!  I have a supervisor that loves these kind of reads.  Will let him know too!

BTW, if you want to sell any Johnny Bench cards let me know.  I'm always listening to any deals! 
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 05:40:57 PM by mr_ash_1995 »
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 09:16:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey bbcard1, you sound like you are a serious BB Card collector!!  Ever hear of baseball cards that were for a few years, in the 1950s and early 60s, put in chewing tobacco pouches?  Most think of the Topps, and perhaps other, chewing gum cards that many collected (I did too).  But Redman Tobacco put larger cards under the cellophane around packs of their chewing tobacco.  My dad worked in local coalmines back then and he use to bring me some of these cards from work.  They were about one and a half times larger than those cards in the bubble gum packs!!  Still have some of them along my other cards in a shoebox or two.

Hey Coalherd...those are so cool. I actually just picked up a group of five Redmans mainly because it had a nice Gil Hodges and Lew Burdette, the pride of Nitro!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 09:16:01 PM »