Author Topic: Sun Belt East Media days podcast and interviews  (Read 738 times)

Offline MUther

Sun Belt East Media days podcast and interviews
« on: July 23, 2024, 07:27:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://soundcloud.com/953theticket/sets/sun-belt-conference-media-days-day-1-east-division

Starts with commissioner Gill

If you want to skip to just Marshall, there are links underneath for that.
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 07:31:06 PM by MUther »

HerdFans.com

Sun Belt East Media days podcast and interviews
    « on: July 23, 2024, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    Re: Sun Belt East Media days podcast and interviews
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 09:55:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ll summarize the Marshall media day and save everyone?s time:

we don?t have a clue who the QB will be and we?ll see how good we are as we go through the season.

Now based on that kind of hair raising uncontrollable excitement and energy, rush out and buy your season tickets!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, HerdEcon, BigJimslade

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 12:46:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ll summarize the Marshall media day and save everyone?s time:

we don?t have a clue who the QB will be and we?ll see how good we are as we go through the season.

Now based on that kind of hair raising uncontrollable excitement and energy, rush out and buy your season tickets!!!!!

Most likely Huff will bring in a Muad'dib at QB in some NIL deal that probably has already been negotiated yet hushed up. I don't see how this cannot occur, given the restlessness of the fan base and donors. Huff simply cannot afford to not have a reasonably successful season.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2024, 04:06:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Most likely Huff will bring in a Muad'dib at QB in some NIL deal that probably has already been negotiated yet hushed up. I don't see how this cannot occur, given the restlessness of the fan base and donors. Huff simply cannot afford to not have a reasonably successful season.

I looked on Google and it seems several reporters contradict each other slightly about the portal, however I didn?t see any report that showed a portal period where teams can bring in players until December 2024.   Players can enter the portal and sit out at anytime. 

Correct me if that?s not true, because I?m no portal expert

Also we have a 5 and a half weeks before the season starts, when is the new QB gonna show up?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 09:28:18 PM by Johnnyherd »

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 06:45:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sick of Huffs BS
    There I said it

Offline elginherd

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2024, 01:17:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Most likely Huff will bring in a Muad'dib at QB in some NIL deal that probably has already been negotiated yet hushed up. I don't see how this cannot occur, given the restlessness of the fan base and donors. Huff simply cannot afford to not have a reasonably successful season.

The question is, what would be considered a reasonably successful season?
    Would upsetting OSU but finishing 4th in the East be enough?
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2024, 02:10:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The question is, what would be considered a reasonably successful season?
    Would upsetting OSU but finishing 4th in the East be enough?

I have always looked to how we played vs our peers and what reasonable expectations I had.  I also consider any curve balls the season throws such as having two upperclassmen QBs injured during the season and having a true freshman QB finish the season or having a conference mate go from annual bottom feeder to champion because they found a Grayson McCall. 

Beating an OSU, ND, Georgia, or etc. is just icing on the cake.  I don't trade one victory for an entire season.  Season result are a better indicator of where a program is rather than one game. 

Offline elginherd

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2024, 04:48:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Correct me if that?s not true, because I?m no portal expert

Also we have a 5 and a half weeks before the season starts, when is the new QB gonna show up?

Assuming that Huff is really going to allow the growing pains associated with establishing an Air Raid culture, unless the QB transfer is already steeped in both the system & the Herd's terminology, the starting QB has to already be on the roster. 5 1/2 weeks is too short of time for a newbie.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2024, 09:13:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Believe if Huff could knock off VA Tech and finish overall .500 overall with a Bowl VICTORY, he'll be back in 2025,

If his team is TOTALLY embarrassed at Blacksburg and Columbus, not competitive in both games, and finishes at .500 or below, and with a bowl loss, or no bowl appearance, he is probably gone.

In the first scenario, a W in a key home game with App State, and/or in a key away game in the season ender at JMU, both of whom are the SBC preseason ranked Top Two in the SBC East, should solidify Coach Huff's chances for returning in 2025, IMO.

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2024, 11:36:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Believe if Huff could knock off VA Tech and finish overall .500 overall with a Bowl VICTORY, he'll be back in 2025,

If his team is TOTALLY embarrassed at Blacksburg and Columbus, not competitive in both games, and finishes at .500 or below, and with a bowl loss, or no bowl appearance, he is probably gone.

In the first scenario, a W in a key home game with App State, and/or in a key away game in the season ender at JMU, both of whom are the SBC preseason ranked Top Two in the SBC East, should solidify Coach Huff's chances for returning in 2025, IMO.
    IMO, Huff will be gone after the 24 season (one way or another).

Offline Doing it the Herd Way

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2024, 07:32:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I looked on Google and it seems several reporters contradict each other slightly about the portal, however I didn?t see any report that showed a portal period where teams can bring in players until December 2024.   Players can enter the portal and sit out at anytime. 

Correct me if that?s not true, because I?m no portal expert

Portal opening periods are only for players entering the portal. Once players are in the portal, they are available to transfer to another school at any time. Eligibility for playing that season is still tied to enrollment at the new school by the appropriate time. Almost always, you would expect players to transfer in by the time fall practice starts. I fully expect a name or two to pop up in the coming weeks for Marshall.

The December 2024 portal period is the next time the portal will open for 15 days.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #11 on: July 26, 2024, 12:38:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: Doing it the Herd Way link=topic=118409.msg1067732#msg1067732 [b
    [/]date=1721907177]
    Portal opening periods are only for players entering the portal. Once players are in the portal, they are available to transfer to another school at any time.

Eligibility for playing that season is still tied to enrollment at the new school by the appropriate time.

Almost always, you would expect players to transfer in by the time fall practice starts. I fully expect a name or two to pop up in the coming weeks for Marshall.

What is the eligibility date as it applies to playing for us in game #1 2024? 

And to be clear about the other part of your message, you?re saying players that entered the portal some time ago and remain in the portal because, for lack of a better phrase, were passed over or not selected can be added to our roster at any point? 

It makes me question the quality of a quarterback that was universally passed over by all of D1 being brought in very late last making an impact.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2024, 12:38:06 AM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2024, 04:21:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is the eligibility date as it applies to playing for us in game #1 2024? 

And to be clear about the other part of your message, you?re saying players that entered the portal some time ago and remain in the portal because, for lack of a better phrase, were passed over or not selected can be added to our roster at any point? 

It makes me question the quality of a quarterback that was universally passed over by all of D1 being brought in very late last making an impact.

Same as it's always been.  As long as they are enrolled for fall semester and their stuff is in order from the transfer they are eligible.

Offline Doing it the Herd Way

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2024, 07:02:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mother is correct. NCAA eligibility is always tied to enrollment at the school. A student can be added prior to the first day of classes and possibly even that first week though that would be cutting it close. The Add/Drop day is usually the Friday of the first week, and we can technically lose players on that day should they withdraw from the university.

Yes to your question about athletes in the portal being able to be added at any time:

Athletes can enter the portal only during the two open portal windows. Once they are in, they can transfer to another team at any time. The portal opening are only for people going into the portal. And those openings cause problems because of a player wants to go to a new team prior to the spring semester and spring practice, they have to hit the December portal which is prior to many bowls. Most want to enter early during the portal window so they can get a new team and start moving across the country and enrolled before January classes start.

And while you make a good point about players being passed over, players also turn down offers or specifically wait until before fall practice because they are finishing summer classes or for a variety of reasons. A can?t-miss superstar QB is not likely available right now, but you never know what talent fits what system and scenario the way it needs to fit. But more importantly, role players and depth are great adds at this point.

By the way, Will Norman that transferred here from Florida in January and then entered the transfer portal after spring practice is still in the portal. There are still many, many potential impact players out there that have not chosen their next school.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2024, 07:02:48 AM »