Author Topic: Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back  (Read 3207 times)

HerdFans.com

Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back
« on: July 24, 2024, 03:33:54 PM »

Offline puma

Re: Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 04:14:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It also sounded like Doc would be renewed up until the point he wasn't.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 04:36:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sadly, I think 5-7 or better, he'll be back. If we go 4-8 or worse, I can't see Brad, CS or the BOG have the guts to retain him - the fan uprising would be strong. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MUther

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2024, 06:56:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sadly, I think 5-7 or better, he'll be back. If we go 4-8 or worse, I can't see Brad, CS or the BOG have the guts to retain him - the fan uprising would be strong. jmho

He may think there's no pressure but there is.  I'd say 7-5 plus a bowl win minimum to be considered.  People that have not yet spoke about about him will if he can't meet that in year 4.  The people with real money, not us brokeasses.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 07:16:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/marshall-football-huff-under-no-pressure-entering-contract-year/article_45112507-b121-5b4d-af30-5f1b7b1f3e0c.html

There is nothing in his crazy comments that would lead me to think he is coming back
    What did you expect him to say
    It?s mumbo jumbo interspersed with coach speak

Offline Big City

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2024, 07:22:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like coach Huff but I have to call BS.

I just don't see a reason why he hasn't already been extended if one is to believe they've been discussing this since 2022. If he's the guy, he would have already been granted a 2 year extension.

More fluff from the local media lol.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline D1

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2024, 08:26:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I felt that prior to the spring game there was a chance Huff would try to get renewed.  My position has changed. I believe that if the Herd goes undefeated, or the Herd doesn't win a game this year, Coach Huff is not here next year.

A good source told me that after the VT win, Huff declined an extension offer.

My guess is that regardless of the outcome of the season, Huff is looking to move on, but that is just my guess.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2024, 08:46:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Huff leaves for a better paying job and takes recruits with him. I like him and I'd keep him myself, but we can differ on that and still both be herd fans. 

Offline MUther

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2024, 08:59:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Huff leaves for a better paying job and takes recruits with him. I like him and I'd keep him myself, but we can differ on that and still both be herd fans.

I just wish he'd put more emphasis on a great QB over even a great RB or two.  We've had great RBs throughout the last few decades but we were only great when we had a great QB.  I mean we had Ahmad freakin Bradshaw on our team and didn't do squat because we had no great QB.  That's his fatal flaw.  Get THEE QB and then build a team around him.  A great QB will adapt to whatever scheme you're running and make it work.  Same problem Doc had sans Cato.  No one else had the triple threat of talent, work ethic, and magic (fixing a busted play).

The following users thanked this post: svherd, elginherd

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2024, 09:07:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Ok
    But his next job will NOT be a HC job.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline D1

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2024, 09:17:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It doesn't matter who the head coach is, in this day of NIL and the ability for a player to transfer at will, there's always going to be 40 plus new players on your team each season.  Without comparable NIL money to compete with other schools in our conference, it is going to be hard to simply go out and buy a top shelf QB to come to Marshall for a season, much less multiple seasons.  Right now MU does not have the NIL bank account to outbid other teams in our conference for the best of the best available. I'm not downgrading our team talent, but just pointing out that Marshall is not in the position to put six figures of NIL money into one player. Currently, we are spreading the wealth and getting players in with some NIL money, the promise of being put in a position to get good film and the chance to further their football career to the next level. 

Offline D1

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2024, 09:23:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok
    But his next job will NOT be a HC job.
    I agree, but being a coordinator in the SEC is a seven figure salary.  Many position coaches will make comparable or more money than Huff makes as a HC in the SBC.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2024, 09:23:49 PM »

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2024, 12:47:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That was all based on Huff's statements.  I don't think it is accurate.  More Huff spin...
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: Big City, Johns1124, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2024, 01:12:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • More spin from Huff and his agent Jimmy Sexton. Huff will say anything. And I think he talks way too MUCH, anyway. If Brad Smith or Christian Spears would publicly confirm Huff's assertions that were stated here then we would have some plausibility. Anything less than an East Conference divisional title this season or else, I say. Do you think Marshall is in a perpetual state of just playing for bowl eligibility? I hope not. If so, I'll find another school to support.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2024, 03:15:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree, but being a coordinator in the SEC is a seven figure salary.  Many position coaches will make comparable or more money than Huff makes as a HC in the SBC.

Of course

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2024, 07:42:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It doesn't matter who the head coach is, in this day of NIL and the ability for a player to transfer at will, there's always going to be 40 plus new players on your team each season.  Without comparable NIL money to compete with other schools in our conference, it is going to be hard to simply go out and buy a top shelf QB to come to Marshall for a season, much less multiple seasons.  Right now MU does not have the NIL bank account to outbid other teams in our conference for the best of the best available. I'm not downgrading our team talent, but just pointing out that Marshall is not in the position to put six figures of NIL money into one player. Currently, we are spreading the wealth and getting players in with some NIL money, the promise of being put in a position to get good film and the chance to further their football career to the next level.

Good observations. No matter who is the head coach, unless the coach has a decent NIL budget (comparable to our peer SBC schools) it will be difficult to attract top talent to compete for the championship. If we go after new a football coach, I wonder how many candidates will say there are not interested in being the Marshall football coach due to lack of NIL money? Just look what has happen with the men's basketball program as a possible guide to the future of football.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 07:44:50 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Herdalum94

Offline svherd

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2024, 08:10:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The game and the circumstances around it have changed drastically since our glory days over two decades ago. Our next hire absolutely has to be a home run who knows offensive football, has been successful (FCS HC) and develops QB's. Without a good QB, most teams mostly suck. On our level, a good QB can be the difference between a solid team and great team/year. We have had that once in the last 20 years. Huff hasn't brought in a good QB to date, and we sure haven't developed any. Frankly, I'd like to see a new HC and staff in 2025.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2024, 08:24:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff hasn't brought in a good QB to date, and we sure haven't developed any.

This is my biggest criticism of Huff. Why we can't seem to get a competent QB has me continually scratching my head.

And as far as coaching goes, with the whole NIL situation, Marshall having a hard time keeping up, good FBS coaches wanting more money, etc., you'd think we would start looking at strong FCS coaches. Probably wouldn't cost as much and they would love to jump up and make some noise. And if they're successful and go on to bigger programs, so be it. Rinse and repeat.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, elginherd

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2024, 10:04:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No pressure because he doesn't plan to come back. Win or lose.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herd2win

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2024, 10:16:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he doesn't plan to come back, why did he not move on after last year?  I am sure he can find a position job at one of the P2 schools.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2024, 10:59:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I consider Doc and Huff to be comparable coaches and both are better than Snyder.

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2024, 12:52:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he doesn't plan to come back, why did he not move on after last year?  I am sure he can find a position job at one of the P2 schools.
    I think he's just riding out his contract to setup his next move.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2024, 12:52:36 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #22 on: July 25, 2024, 01:52:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No pressure because he doesn't plan to come back. Win or lose.

Win enough to get a bigger job or lose enough to get fired

That's it. No way we extend with a 5-7, 6-6 or 7-5 season

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2024, 02:36:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like coach Huff but I have to call BS.

I just don't see a reason why he hasn't already been extended if one is to believe they've been discussing this since 2022. If he's the guy, he would have already been granted a 2 year extension.

More fluff from the local media lol.

If he was a great coach he'd already had be coaching somewhere else.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Johns1124, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2024, 05:00:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He will always have a football coaching job unless he does something very stupid.  He has (0) worries at the end of the day.  His competitive fire is probably what drives him most.  Total job security in his profession. 

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2024, 05:00:06 PM »