Author Topic: Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2024, 06:32:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2024, 06:32:17 PM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2024, 07:44:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He will always have a football coaching job unless he does something very stupid.  He has (0) worries at the end of the day.  His competitive fire is probably what drives him most.  Total job security in his profession.

I totally agree.
    Whether he's ready to be a HFC still hasn't been established after 3 seasons...and it doesn't appear as it is trending upward.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MCA23

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2024, 08:12:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I consider Doc and Huff to be comparable coaches and both are better than Snyder.

Doc is better than Huff.  At least he had us in the championship games.  Huff is closer to Snyder.  Not as bad, but he's closer than Snyder than he is Doc.

I'd rather see us go after a winning HC from the lower levels.  Tired of recruitiers and position coaches.  Find someone that's done it and shown they can sustain it.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2024, 09:48:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc is better than Huff.  At least he had us in the championship games.  Huff is closer to Snyder.  Not as bad, but he's closer than Snyder than he is Doc.

I'd rather see us go after a winning HC from the lower levels.  Tired of recruitiers and position coaches.  Find someone that's done it and shown they can sustain it.

You do realize Doc had a cupcake conference don't you? And how many times in that weak CUSA did Doc make the championship in 10 years? Playing in an east division of start ups!!!

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #29 on: July 26, 2024, 12:12:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You do realize Doc had a cupcake conference don't you? And how many times in that weak CUSA did Doc make the championship in 10 years? Playing in an east division of start ups!!!

On top of that Hamrick was no dummy, he scheduled 2 out of conference wins every year for he and Doc to help pad the record and greatly reduced the pressure to win 6 conference games to make a bowl.

Hamrick didn?t want to ever fire Doc because that would mean he failed to hire the right coach.

Although Hamrick did have some big games canceled which wasn?t his fault, but he also intentionally scheduled a lot of FCS and MAC games.

I dont know why I even mentioned this because its not even close or fair to compare:

Donnans I-AA (grey shirt / champ sports) era to
    Pruetts 1-AA / MAC era to
    Snyders tough CUSA with reduced scholarships era to
    Docs watered down CUSA 3.0 w annual easy OOC era to 
    Huffs Sunbelt (NIL / transfer portal) era

because the landscape is vastly different in each era.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 12:44:54 AM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: jdonaccbus, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2024, 08:09:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On top of that Hamrick was no dummy, he scheduled 2 out of conference wins every year for he and Doc to help pad the record and greatly reduced the pressure to win 6 conference games to make a bowl.

Hamrick didn?t want to ever fire Doc because that would mean he failed to hire the right coach.

Although Hamrick did have some big games canceled which wasn?t his fault, but he also intentionally scheduled a lot of FCS and MAC games.

I dont know why I even mentioned this because its not even close or fair to compare:

A good coach would have beaten WVU in 2010.
    A good coach would have beaten Western Kentucky in 2014.

Doc wasn't a good coach.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, herdorbust2

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2024, 08:47:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On top of that Hamrick was no dummy, he scheduled 2 out of conference wins every year for he and Doc to help pad the record and greatly reduced the pressure to win 6 conference games to make a bowl.

I don't know Mr. Huff. I do know I was told many years ago to never trust anyone who speaks out of the side of their mouth. I'm not his fan and neither was I of Mr. Holiday. I also feel that many do not give Mr. Snyder (sp?) enough credit (he had a lot against him at the time).

Offline whf

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2024, 09:13:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still believe there are going to be some real surprises for fans this very season, and can't wait to see if I'm right or not.  Either way, Huff is a great wordsmith, just as Hamrick said he was/would be.  Yet we have some players and we play in a very good football league. We have a super schedule, having fun as a fan this year will be up to each of us, our attitude about it may be as important as anything else. I hope he wins enough to have a choice.................that would be super for us all.

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #33 on: July 26, 2024, 09:32:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It also sounded like Doc would be renewed up until the point he wasn't.

Doc had a legendary breakdown. If we were a bigger school, they would be talking about it for years. Had we just handed the ball to Brenden Knox all day long against Rice, he might still be our coach.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2024, 10:54:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • capable depth would be welcome.
    absence of a standout QB does not elicit confidence (same old same old).
    dare i ask the odds of new O succeeding without a standout QB and a capable supporting cast?

if this years results go south, hire a volunteer head coach, not of the orange variety, but the kind who is glad to work for free. 
    then put the savings towards buying a QB and other key position players- can't beat em, then you must join em 😥.

another dream envisions a super wealthy Herd fan who is finally fed up with average

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2024, 10:58:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 6-6 here we come!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2024, 11:57:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 6-6 here we come!

Which would be about 8-4 or 9-3 in Docs CUSA.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2024, 11:57:10 AM »

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2024, 12:13:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just Win because Winning is now everything again! That is the cure! Go Herd, go undefeated and play in the Championship series that?s my expectation out of my Herd Football Team! Rest of the conversations are a waste of time. The real problem is $$$ in sports and especial here in WV! Charleston is Marshall?s political enemy even with JJ as Governor. He did what he could but, stonewalled by his own financial problems.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2024, 10:13:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I consider Doc and Huff to be comparable coaches and both are better than Snyder.

That's not saying much.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #39 on: July 26, 2024, 10:16:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get the feeling that Huff is the one not signing, instead of Marshall not offering, but any decent P4 school wouldn?t blink to pay a 2 year buyout.

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #40 on: July 27, 2024, 07:55:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder, Doc and Huff all suck

We've been terrible to watch on O for 17 of the last 20 years (Cato years were good)

Have to hire an O first coach for next year

If we're gonna suck let's at least put an entertaining O on the field lol

Online MUfan08

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2024, 08:54:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also feel that many do not give Mr. Snyder (sp?) enough credit (he had a lot against him at the time).

He was an arrogant drunk who was in over his head. Which didn't help because he was just a bad head coach.
    Damn shame Marshall let a booster pick him after the Pruett fiasco that lead to him quitting or "retiring".

Wonder how Marshall would look now if Lance West and Dan Angel were never here.
    « Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 08:57:24 AM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: GreenBison, parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2024, 09:47:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only saw Snyder once.   He was ripped.  Peeled out of the Joan
    Poor HC

Holiday - too conservative and not creative enough

Huff - poor offensive development and ac picks

Offline herd1990

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2024, 09:26:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't remember the last time I was this indifferent about an upcoming football season.  Guess the years and years of excitement and high expectations have finally caught up with me through the continued mediocre outputs the last 10-12 years.  We are (and have been for some time) the bottom 30% of D1 football teams.  I'll always cherish my experience in South Bend in 2022 but that season went off the rails too.  Fluff ain't the one either.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, miltonherdfan

Offline whf

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2024, 08:04:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My problem with energy for the team isn't the upcoming games, game day, any of that. It is that I couldn't tell you who they heck is even on the team. The communications control or lack of effort, whichever igt is, is killing this program.  We are a relatively small, family style program.  Families have to communicate to stick together. Leading a football program at MU requires great recruiting of both players and fans.  Pruitt was a master at public presentation and attention for his program.  Since then, the pool of possibilities with our head coaches has been low to NIL. I think DOC tried at first, but the media has abandoned the school and makes it a difficult and special effort to get public communications going.  And frankly the athletic department has struggled with their own talent pool, and energy of the talent, when they'd had it.  Winning at MU means keeping folks in the seats and growing the attendance as much as winning on the field. Winning on the field , of course, helps, but we need fans who still come to support the program and watch the team play.  Those still fitting that category, like many of us on this board, are growing "older".

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, overherd1, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Big City

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2024, 08:20:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My problem with energy for the team isn't the upcoming games, game day, any of that. It is that I couldn't tell you who they heck is even on the team. The communications control or lack of effort, whichever igt is, is killing this program.  We are a relatively small, family style program.  Families have to communicate to stick together. Leading a football program at MU requires great recruiting of both players and fans.  Pruitt was a master at public presentation and attention for his program.  Since then, the pool of possibilities with our head coaches has been low to NIL. I think DOC tried at first, but the media has abandoned the school and makes it a difficult and special effort to get public communications going.  And frankly the athletic department has struggled with their own talent pool, and energy of the talent, when they'd had it.  Winning at MU means keeping folks in the seats and growing the attendance as much as winning on the field. Winning on the field , of course, helps, but we need fans who still come to support the program and watch the team play.  Those still fitting that category, like many of us on this board, are growing "older".

Well said! +1
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline svherd

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2024, 09:33:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Well said. Marshall is its own worst enemy many times, communicating being one of them. They have gotten better the last few years but still need to use ALL methods of communication via the media. Not every fan gets emails or X posts. Many of them don't do social media, especially the older ones. The young ones need an exciting reason to attend and keep them engaged - that is a tough task these days.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2024, 09:33:55 AM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #47 on: July 29, 2024, 12:02:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I honestly hate this Nick Saban secret squirrel hide every single thing about the program until we play stuff.  Coverage is important, build up is import, fan engagement is critical. 

Huff could open a couple practices up and not give away the playbook.

We are basically saying don?t worry about practice, don?t worry who s on the team, don?t worry about who s starting at QB all summer long

- then it s why are there less people at the games, - why aren t fans excited- why did some many fans forget about us? 

Marshall gets very little coverage as it is, we should welcome camera time and coverage.   Huff is definitely getting this wrong and if anyone questions this, just look at our record. 

If going completely radio silent and locking out the fans and media really helped us win games, well we would actually win games

Did James Madison, Troy, South Alabama lock out all media and fans last year, in order for them to be successful?

They say ?Out of sight is out of mind? for a reason
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 02:31:28 AM by Johnnyherd »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2024, 06:38:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i could be wrong, but i think Spears and company are grooming Herd fans for the pay-as-a-donation-model for access.  this HZ $10 video access is a prime example.

maybe somebody knows if it's actually Huff instead of, or in conjunction with, the AD who is limiting exposure to practices.

MU probably will have to come close to stepping over the line (with fans) in order to make enough money to compete and/or exist.  the proverb choose your battles wisely comes to mind.

as a side note, it's weird how many things including Herd FB seem to be pre-covid or post-covid (2020)
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 06:49:36 AM by MUonium »

Offline MUther

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2024, 07:26:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Practice hasn't even started.  We knew every change that happened in the spring with players coming and going.  Why would we expect have a coach pin down our starters for the fall when he has no idea who will even still be here or willing to play?  I felt like the semi weekly tweet videos last summer were great and he addressed each unit rather than the individual players which seems like the better option.  There would be just as much dissent on this board if he gave a full rundown of every minute and every player and then they left or or didn't start.  It's a new world and no one before has had to deal with team management in this way.  Comparing to what Doc said or didn't say is irrelevant.  Doc barely scratched having to deal with this kind of roster flux.

There are teams that have had to replace entire rosters that left when a coach did or some other occurrence.  What use would any information about the team have been to the fans?  It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but one thing for sure is fans will be ready to pounce on any misinformation either way.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2024, 07:26:34 AM »