Author Topic: Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back  (Read 3189 times)

Offline ru4mu2

Re: Sounds Like Huff Will Be Back
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2024, 07:53:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Practice hasn't even started.  We knew every change that happened in the spring with players coming and going.  Why would we expect have a coach pin down our starters for the fall when he has no idea who will even still be here or willing to play?  I felt like the semi weekly tweet videos last summer were great and he addressed each unit rather than the individual players which seems like the better option.  There would be just as much dissent on this board if he gave a full rundown of every minute and every player and then they left or or didn't start.  It's a new world and no one before has had to deal with team management in this way.  Comparing to what Doc said or didn't say is irrelevant.  Doc barely scratched having to deal with this kind of roster flux.

There are teams that have had to replace entire rosters that left when a coach did or some other occurrence.  What use would any information about the team have been to the fans?  It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but one thing for sure is fans will be ready to pounce on any misinformation either way.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2024, 07:53:05 AM »

Offline whf

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2024, 07:56:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Practice hasn't even started.  We knew every change that happened in the spring with players coming and going.  Why would we expect have a coach pin down our starters for the fall when he has no idea who will even still be here or willing to play?  I felt like the semi weekly tweet videos last summer were great and he addressed each unit rather than the individual players which seems like the better option.  There would be just as much dissent on this board if he gave a full rundown of every minute and every player and then they left or or didn't start.  It's a new world and no one before has had to deal with team management in this way.  Comparing to what Doc said or didn't say is irrelevant.  Doc barely scratched having to deal with this kind of roster flux.

There are teams that have had to replace entire rosters that left when a coach did or some other occurrence.  What use would any information about the team have been to the fans?  It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but one thing for sure is fans will be ready to pounce on any misinformation either way.
    Information brings interest; out of site ... out of mind. This isn't a new concept; apparently has been an important concept for generations.  You may not be interested, but hundreds and hundreds are.  Player stories, coaching stories, it's called marketing.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MUther

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2024, 07:04:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Information brings interest; out of site ... out of mind. This isn't a new concept; apparently has been an important concept for generations.  You may not be interested, but hundreds and hundreds are.  Player stories, coaching stories, it's called marketing.

I've posted several interviews with Huff over the last few weeks for people to get information.  There just isn't anything going on right now.  Like I said, last summer we got a couple video tweets each week on the practices from Huff and players and detailed information on each unit.  No one here ever did that before.  When has there ever been anything worth mentioning in mid-July?  We all knew who was recruited and who left by end of spring/early summer.  This isn't about wanting information, it's about there not being any during the dead period.  Once practice starts there will be reports again because there will be something to report.

I don't know if we'll get those tweets again this year from Huff or if it will all be behind a paywall on Herdzone, but I've never seen any detailed reports on the team like that before since Morpheus died and quit smuggling out practice information for us.  That was the main source of information in the past.  It never came from Marshall or the coach like it does now.

I don't even remember Bobby saying anything in the month of July to market the school or the team, except media days in the MAC, which I've posted several of Huff's interviews from SBC media days and just posted another before I read this.  That is what tides us over till fall practice and always has been.  There is no conspiracy to keep you in the dark.

The other thing is no one here has the information you're looking for.  I snag that information off the Sun Belt forums.  They post more information about Marshall and have more podcasts, blogs, and detailed information about our teams than we do.  If you're so concerned about seeing all the information available, then you should probably expand your sources of information. 

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline MUther

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2024, 07:40:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys just have the off-season blues, the information will be coming soon

What Johnnyherd said last year (Aug 3rd) about Huff's fan engagement:
    "Huff is a natural teacher, and is very good at breaking things down so that anyone can understand it.  When he is asked questions he gives in-depth  answers and well reasoned explanations.

He doesn't just "practice went well".  He tells exactly what he was looking for in practice and what he saw and what he is doing now and about to do."

August 2nd 2023 video from Huff:

And a thread with all the fan engagement videos for the practice season of 2023 that of course started with media days for the SBC:

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=116104.0
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 08:06:03 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: Johnnyherd

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2024, 02:27:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just win.  I will be in the stands.  I have no idea what to expect when you replace over 40 players.  I do know we need QB play to be a lot better to compete.  Season will be here soon.  Buckle up it could get bumpy!!! 

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline whf

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2024, 05:18:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've posted several interviews with Huff over the last few weeks for people to get information.  There just isn't anything going on right now.  Like I said, last summer we got a couple video tweets each week on the practices from Huff and players and detailed information on each unit.  No one here ever did that before.  When has there ever been anything worth mentioning in mid-July?  We all knew who was recruited and who left by end of spring/early summer.  This isn't about wanting information, it's about there not being any during the dead period.  Once practice starts there will be reports again because there will be something to report.

I don't know if we'll get those tweets again this year from Huff or if it will all be behind a paywall on Herdzone, but I've never seen any detailed reports on the team like that before since Morpheus died and quit smuggling out practice information for us.  That was the main source of information in the past.  It never came from Marshall or the coach like it does now.

I don't even remember Bobby saying anything in the month of July to market the school or the team, except media days in the MAC, which I've posted several of Huff's interviews from SBC media days and just posted another before I read this.  That is what tides us over till fall practice and always has been.  There is no conspiracy to keep you in the dark.

The other thing is no one here has the information you're looking for.  I snag that information off the Sun Belt forums.  They post more information about Marshall and have more podcasts, blogs, and detailed information about our teams than we do.  If you're so concerned about seeing all the information available, then you should probably expand your sources of information.
    We just disagree; I say the administration is accountable to market the programs to the public, seeking more and more fans, doing it with creating ownership via a family marketing approach. Apparently you don't agree with that, that's your choice.  Calling on folks to seek harder isn't marketing; make it frequent, easily visible, and perhaps even hard to avoid. That's marketing the program (s).

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #56 on: July 30, 2024, 07:08:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well hopefully last years amount coverage will repeat this season.  I really don?t see why Marshall cannot do both, protect the playbook and engage with fans. 

I appreciate Coach Huff doing practice updates video?s and he does go in-depth about coaching points of focus, however it is coachspeak and he is very careful not to reveal anything directly related to players, other to say every player is phenomenal.

Marshall could record highlights of practice and video of the players cutting up, basically hype videos and they have done that in the past, but do more than one, do one every 2 weeks.

Marshall had a broadcasting program right?  Have the broadcasting seniors record practice highlights and edit the videos and send it to coach Huff and the Spears for approval.  If they want to hide a certain play or player just edit.

Players would probably eat it up having professional cameras recording them and probably show out.

My opinion is the thinking that we shouldn?t talk about or show any videos of the QB battle is a smart move and I disagree.

Marshall should want the message boards and fans actively talking and arguing about the QB battle.   They should want a 200 post thread about it.

That?s what fans do and that?s what fans want to do and more fans engage in stuff like that and it really doesn?t matter what we think and it never has mattered.  Coach Huff could wear Kelly Green tennis shoes with lime green shoe laces and 300 people will demand he gets fired for his laces.  Mad people always find something to be mad about unless we are winning championships.

Sports channels are full of these programs where basically mega fans that are disguised as broadcasters just talk about sports teams non stop and they are wildly popular and have cult like followings.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 07:10:34 PM by Johnnyherd »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2024, 10:04:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Johnnyherd, if MU's Athletic Department was really going to utilize its journalism and broadcasting departments, students,in a positive way, etc., they would done so by now to have improved and upgraded the whole HERD ZONE site, etc.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HerdEcon

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2024, 10:51:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you want to work within Marshall Athletics? If you want to gain experience in the world of athletics this opportunity is for you!

During this internship program you will have the opportunity to work within many different areas inside our athletic department. Areas including Broadcasting, Communications, Social Media, Creative Content, Statistics, Data Analytics, Website Development, Graphic Design, Photography, Videography, Marketing, Sports Medicine, Athletic Academics and Business.

https://herdzone.com/form/20?fbclid=IwY2xjawEWhdVleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHfl5AxFFiQ9pNzx4Bym8KXqVzQvkgRTuhiG08W5mGYdLU-h8Z3nXRtg6Nw_aem_0bcn88HumrA_-qNQgjHmoQ
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline svherd

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2024, 08:26:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We just disagree; I say the administration is accountable to market the programs to the public, seeking more and more fans, doing it with creating ownership via a family marketing approach. Apparently you don't agree with that, that's your choice.  Calling on folks to seek harder isn't marketing; make it frequent, easily visible, and perhaps even hard to avoid. That's marketing the program (s).

I'll add to this, not about Marketing so much but MU in general. I have made 4 phone calls (messages) the last 2 days and sent 2 emails to the BG and AD about wanting spots in the maple lot for my company, so far - crickets. They may be busy, but that busy? Maybe more people to handle these situations. Gotta invest to take care of the fans and the brand.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2024, 10:45:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll add to this, not about Marketing so much but MU in general. I have made 4 phone calls (messages) the last 2 days and sent 2 emails to the BG and AD about wanting spots in the maple lot for my company, so far - crickets. They may be busy, but that busy? Maybe more people to handle these situations. Gotta invest to take care of the fans and the brand.

Call the ticket office. They can get you the spot. Then they can help you with the BG if you need additional commitment for the spot.

Offline svherd

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2024, 10:59:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Call the ticket office. They can get you the spot. Then they can help you with the BG if you need additional commitment for the spot.

I have - twice and left messages.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2024, 10:59:04 AM »

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2024, 12:25:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I have - twice and left messages.

I sent you a message.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2024, 11:03:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline svherd

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2024, 09:00:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you want to work within Marshall Athletics? If you want to gain experience in the world of athletics this opportunity is for you!

During this internship program you will have the opportunity to work within many different areas inside our athletic department. Areas including Broadcasting, Communications, Social Media, Creative Content, Statistics, Data Analytics, Website Development, Graphic Design, Photography, Videography, Marketing, Sports Medicine, Athletic Academics and Business.

https://herdzone.com/form/20?fbclid=IwY2xjawEWhdVleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHfl5AxFFiQ9pNzx4Bym8KXqVzQvkgRTuhiG08W5mGYdLU-h8Z3nXRtg6Nw_aem_0bcn88HumrA_-qNQgjHmoQ

If I were a student, I would jump at this chance in a heartbeat. I would be shocked if they didn't have more applicants than positions available.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline whf

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2024, 12:45:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I were a student, I would jump at this chance in a heartbeat. I would be shocked if they didn't have more applicants than positions available.
    These are UnPaid internships, just so you know. And they have historically worked their interns to the bone; as recent as 2022 fall, they were having a devil of a time filling their needs in these positions because of it.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2024, 01:08:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These are UnPaid internships, just so you know. And they have historically worked their interns to the bone; as recent as 2022 fall, they were having a devil of a time filling their needs in these positions because of it.

May be unpaid but a great resume builder. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Johnnyherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2024, 01:08:25 AM »