Author Topic: MU Pre-Camp Press Conference  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

MU Pre-Camp Press Conference
« on: July 30, 2024, 06:16:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, Buffalo Bop, chris88, elginherd, MUther, puma, panthersherd

HerdFans.com

MU Pre-Camp Press Conference
    « on: July 30, 2024, 06:16:55 PM »

Offline MUther

Re: MU Pre-Camp Press Conference
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2024, 10:17:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems pretty clear as of now he mentions Cole and Braxton several times in the same breath but not much else.  I imagine it will come down to one of those two or both, situationally, unless one just does not seem to get it during practice or someone else just beams at the position.  I like how he discusses the air raid having fewer plays executed quicker taking pressure off of the line and increasing accuracy for the QB without the need for pinpoint accuracy, like threading the needle or low percentage long balls.  The goal being to minimize QB turnovers, finally.

I'm also glad to see these press conferences on youtube and twitter will continue and not all be for pay at Herdzone+.

Not as happy to hear that no effort has been made to amplify the questions asked, once again.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 10:20:42 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline chris88

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 08:35:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty impressed with new OC. Taking ownership of the offense very important. Tricket also seemed to talk about "Huffs Offense". New OC talks about concepts and simplifying things in a way that allows players to be free. More importantly seems to have a more systematic approach to offense that uses formations and motion etc to create matchups and use space. Like the guys he's worked with before as they are great offensive minds. I always liked to start with concept of occupying the safeties in passing game. That makes other matchups' one on one in most cases. I also liked using lots of outside WRs so you could wear out CBs over time and using motion. All those things make defense cover whole field and are simple concepts. Hopefully his concepts have the same simplicity to allow expansion and flexibility. Now QB has to be able to make the throws or the defense starts cheating and I hope the QB battle doesn't come down to attrition.  Finally, calling plays on offense most difficult job in FB imo so i'm anxious to see how the OC sequences things and also incorporates the running game, screen game etc.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, svherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 09:19:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't sleep on the new OC. New system, new scheme, new players and new coach.

Notice Huff said there are about 6 players they can't talk about right now. I bet one of those players is another QB.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Big City, parshall2marshall, chris88, puma

Online overherd1

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 09:34:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am curious about the new players as well.  Seems like the roster now has moving parts continuously.  I suppose its like I read on another post, its like Christmas morning all the time, you just never know who the next player to leave or show up is going to be.  Seems like a very challenging time to be a coach.

Like most on here, I think our QB position is very important and the QB room seems a little thin at this point.  Going to take a few games to see how good we are.

Online elginherd

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 09:35:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Leach/Mumme offense demands that routine passes are indeed routine.
    It'll be interesting to see if whoever is QB1 can accurately place the ball for all the short passes out to the flats that the offense uses to control the ball. YAC is a huge element in the AR.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 12:03:10 PM by elginherd »
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, chris88

Online svherd

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2024, 09:55:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty impressed with new OC. Taking ownership of the offense very important. Tricket also seemed to talk about "Huffs Offense". New OC talks about concepts and simplifying things in a way that allows players to be free. More importantly seems to have a more systematic approach to offense that uses formations and motion etc to create matchups and use space. Like the guys he's worked with before as they are great offensive minds. I always liked to start with concept of occupying the safeties in passing game. That makes other matchups' one on one in most cases. I also liked using lots of outside WRs so you could wear out CBs over time and using motion. All those things make defense cover whole field and are simple concepts. Hopefully his concepts have the same simplicity to allow expansion and flexibility. Now QB has to be able to make the throws or the defense starts cheating and I hope the QB battle doesn't come down to attrition.  Finally, calling plays on offense most difficult job in FB imo so i'm anxious to see how the OC sequences things and also incorporates the running game, screen game etc.

Trickett was a terrible hire for the OC. Glad we have a new one.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online MUfan08

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2024, 10:03:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I bet one of those players is another QB.

If it is the one that's been rumored for the last month, it isn't anyone to get too excited about.
    Has starting experience (not eye popping numbers), got hurt, and has been to a couple other schools equivalent to and below Marshall.

Offline andy31

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2024, 10:27:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If it is the one that's been rumored for the last month, it isn't anyone to get too excited about.
    Has starting experience (not eye popping numbers), got hurt, and has been to a couple other schools equivalent to and below Marshall.

I think bringing in one more QB may be just a way to increase the shots on goal, so to speak.  We don't have an obvious guy, but we have 3 that have started FBS football games.  All we need is for one to separate and pan out.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

Offline whf

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2024, 11:11:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For some reason, this preseason press conference just plain feels better, different but better, than the years before.  There is a huge (IMHO) uptick in communications capatilibies that represents the university well. And, yes, I do expect this to turn into a leap forward in success on the field.

We have a bunch of learners coaching now, they all seem to feel comfortable learning as well as teaching.  That's a great sign of "team" participants and leaders as well.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, Johnnyherd

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2024, 12:17:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't help myself, but I like coach Huff.  I love listening to him talk about the team.  I feel he gives out a lot of insight outside of the X's and O's.  He might not work out as head coach at Marshall, but it appears that he is giving it his all.   

The following users thanked this post: whf, herddds, chris88, Johnnyherd, elginherd, MUther, MicDrass1

Offline MUonium

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2024, 12:24:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • aren't short to mid-range passes what we've been doing mostly the last several years mainly because we haven't had the caliber of receivers with speed and other characteristics we'd liked to have had? 
    what parts of the new system will save the OL wear n tear from having to block too long?  it's not like we didn't utilize TEs and RBs blocking for the QB/others ball handlers in the past.  didn't we sort of spread out the responsibility between all the offensive weapons we had simply to find anything that would work, not to say there weren't some successes?
    i don't have any illusions- no on/off switch that's going to produce a better scoring O automatically but i'm glad for a new system and coaching personal who specialize in the system.  realistically, i still think you have to have jonnies and joes above all so i hope the staff recruited the players to run the system and that there's time to thoroughly implement it

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2024, 12:24:34 PM »

Online elginherd

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2024, 12:29:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't help myself, but I like coach Huff.  I love listening to him talk about the team.  I feel he gives out a lot of insight outside of the X's and O's.  He might not work out as head coach at Marshall, but it appears that he is giving it his all.

That sums up how I feel.
    It makes it even more disappointing regarding the results, with a couple of signature wins in the plus catagory.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2024, 12:37:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I am with you. I have a hard time not liking the guy.

I am hoping the new assistants make a difference this season. I am glad we have some new faces on the staff. I am interested in seeing how the offensive line pans out with a new coach.

I hate that Griffis opted out. I actually thought he could come here and succeed....especially with some of the quality backs and receivers we brought in. I am just not confident in what we have on the roster at the quarterback position.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline coalherd

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2024, 01:31:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't sleep on the new OC. New system, new scheme, new players and new coach.

Notice Huff said there are about 6 players they can't talk about right now. I bet one of those players is another QB.

Well, two or three real "Studs" on the defensive side, tackles, linebackers, etc., would be nice!!!

Online elginherd

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2024, 02:11:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am with you. I have a hard time not liking the guy.

I am hoping the new assistants make a difference this season. I am glad we have some new faces on the staff. I am interested in seeing how the offensive line pans out with a new coach.

I hate that Griffis opted out. I actually thought he could come here and succeed....especially with some of the quality backs and receivers we brought in. I am just not confident in what we have on the roster at the quarterback position.

That is everyone's concern, probably including Charles (All Gas) Huff's.

Online overherd1

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2024, 02:13:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have no problem with Huff as well.  He seems to care about his players and appears to be a very hard worker.  I also noticed he mentioned Toby Payne and Conley, the tight end that got hurt midway through the season and said they would be important across the middle I believe.  For Huff's sake and all the fans, I hope the work he has done over the past year will pay dividends this year.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2024, 02:29:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our TE group might be strongest group on team.  Use them for everything.  Interesting team.  Will improve as season goes along. 

Offline puma

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2024, 02:38:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That sums up how I feel.
    It makes it even more disappointing regarding the results, with a couple of signature wins in the plus catagory.

That's basically where I am. His biggest mistake was hiring Trickett, IMO. He needed an experienced OC to lean into and he wasn't that. Hopefully, Doege will work out but his resume really isn't all that much different.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2024, 05:42:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If it is the one that's been rumored for the last month, it isn't anyone to get too excited about.

Are we talking about a North Texas QB ?

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Buffalo Bop, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2024, 08:59:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Online Herdiowa

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2024, 09:38:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be an interesting year.  Actually pretty excited to see how they piece it together.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2024, 09:38:23 AM »

Online svherd

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2024, 10:14:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting that Huff asked Grassie to help with the punter. At least he knows a good coach when he sees one.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2024, 10:33:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do enjoy listening to Huff explain the game. I feel like I understand it better.

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2024, 11:10:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We all should or could allow Huff to change with the NIL changes to the landscape of college sports. He is upgrading players in both academic and player ability on and off the field. We are seeing first hand the restructuring of college sports toward to a redistribution of wealth model. Black players are more highly prized than white or other races. This is very evident. DEI at work financially is both Political and business related. I am of American Indian Heritage both Cherokee and Blackfoot with some Ethiopian mixed in Nationally and Internationally with the Worlds Indigenous First People as all Humanity is apart of today. Change is the keyword that is fearful for some and welcomed by others. Marshall University is a home that welcomes change historically and frankly has had to when balanced out historically is more position than WVU for us to transition in competing for National recognition at a very high level. Go Herd! Enjoy the ride!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2024, 11:10:29 AM »