Author Topic: Safe to Stay With The Herd  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Nicks Pizza

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Rookie
  • In this world there are no sides
Safe to Stay With The Herd
« on: August 01, 2024, 02:05:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2024 All Facility Updates:
    • All fans will walk through weapon detectors upon entry
    • No re-entry

2024 Joan C. Edwards Stadium Updates:
    • Expanded concourse
    • Local food trucks
    • Grab and go concessions
    • Fan experience and engagement areas
    • Gates open 2 hours prior to gametime

http://www.herdzone.com

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, svherd, chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« on: August 01, 2024, 02:05:34 PM »

Offline herd2win

Re: Safe to Stay With The Herd
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2024, 03:50:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds reasonable and also like the fact there will be special LOWER happy hour prices if you enter the stadium early.  My son enjoys going in early so for me this is great/

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2024, 04:13:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We knew this was coming.

"With the W.Va. Legislature's passage of WV code 18B-4-5b, which allows concealed carry on Marshall University's campus, the decision has been made to enforce new strategies for the safety of our University community and the public who supports us," said Jim Terry, Marshall University's Chief of Police. "These strategies include weapon screening and a no re-entry policy at athletic events. Allowing patrons to exit and re-enter increases the risk of unauthorized access of prohibited items into the venue. Managing a large crowd is already challenging for event organizers and staff, so we want to take these measures for the well-being and safety of everyone attending Marshall Athletics events."
    https://herdzone.com/news/2024/8/1/general-marshall-athletics-unveils-safe-to-stay-with-the-herd

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2024, 04:32:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the changes. Well done.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MarshallHerdFan99

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2024, 05:29:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t see in anyway how this helps safety. You can still buy another ticket and re enter or you can just show up in the second half if you missed the first half. It seems more like a way of using safety as a way to make more money on concessions.

This seems like a way to enforce you buy their concessions and I do believe this only hurts second half attendance even more. Why can?t they just have to go through the metal detectors a second time?

I do like the other changes though

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline whf

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 05:44:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t see in anyway how this helps safety. You can still buy another ticket and re enter or you can just show up in the second half if you missed the first half. It seems more like a way of using safety as a way to make more money on concessions.

This seems like a way to enforce you buy their concessions and I do believe this only hurts second half attendance even more. Why can?t they just have to go through the metal detectors a second time?

I do like the other changes though
    This isn't about cheeks in the seats, it's about money in the coffers. My wife won't like the "stay in at half time" change, but hey, we'll just try to bring in more hot dogs, they shouldn't be screened out of her clear purse (hehe).

Offline HerdFanJ

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 08:33:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 05:43:21 AM by HerdFanJ »

Offline MUther

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 09:53:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you eat and drink till gametime,you're only talking 3 1/2 hours of game.  Shouldn't need anything but some water, if it's hot out, in that timeframe.  If you have to get something from the stands in that time it's because you or the kids just want something.  Not like you're being held hostage against human needs.  You wouldn't eat every 3 1/2 hours at home, let alone before, during, and after the game.  Most of the gripe here is about alcohol.  People want to go recharge their buzz at halftime.  Now they can't unless they buy in the stadium. 

It will be nice to not see empty stands after halftime.  I'm all for it and have been for 30 years.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2024, 10:44:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll gladly buy a 2nd ticket just to go out at halftime unless they stop letting anybody in after the half.

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2024, 07:22:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When is the new look endzone suites/public area etc on McDonalds side supposed to be started/completed?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2024, 07:37:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • [quote author=MUther link=topic=
    If you eat and drink till gametime,you're only talking hours of game.  Shouldn't need anything but some water, if it's hot out, in that timeframe.  If you have to get something from the stands in that time it's because you or the kids just want something.  Not like you're being held hostage against human needs.  You wouldn't eat every 3.5 hours at home, let alone before, during, and after the game.  Most of the gripe here is about alcohol.  People want to go recharge their buzz at halftime.  Now they can't unless they buy in the stadium. 

It will be nice to not see empty stands after halftime.  I'm all for it and have been for years.
    [/quote]
    The stadiums will still be empty at halftime. The people that don?t come in after will still go out. You?re only punishing the fans that are loyal and that come back in after halftime. Now they can?t come back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 07:41:49 AM by MarshallHerdFan99 »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 07:56:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many schools allow reentry? I would guess this is the future of attending sporting events?

I know FAU doesn't allow reentry.
    No Stadium Re-Entry: Once a ticket is scanned for entry at FAU stadium gates, there is no stadium re-entry.
    https://www.fau.edu/campuslife/tailgate/

FYI: wvu doesn't allow reentry.
    Stadium Re-Entry
     Passouts are not allowed. Fans are not permitted to re-enter.
    http://66.118.64.36/page.cfm?section=7920

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 07:56:50 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2024, 08:09:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many schools allow reentry? I would guess this is the future of attending sporting events?

I know FAU doesn't allow reentry.
    No Stadium Re-Entry: Once a ticket is scanned for entry at FAU stadium gates, there is no stadium re-entry.
    https://www.fau.edu/campuslife/tailgate/

FYI: wvu doesn't allow reentry.
    Stadium Re-Entry
     Passouts are not allowed. Fans are not permitted to re-enter.
    http://66.118.64.36/page.cfm?section=7920

I think we are one of the few D1 schools that still do; or did. Like the changes.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2024, 10:02:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The no reentry thing is stupid. It won't stop people from leaving at half. You'll just lose those people for the rest of the game now.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, whf

Offline herd2win

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2024, 10:09:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The no reentry thing is stupid. It won't stop people from leaving at half. You'll just lose those people for the rest of the game now.

Most of the people that left at half didn't make it back in anyway.  The half is 20 minutes.  It is not like you have an hour of dead time between halves.  Pass outs were fairly unique to Marshall so if that is keeping you away then there wasn't much that could keep you in your seat anyway.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2024, 10:14:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Then they should have went to a bar instead of a football game to begin with. If it's more important to go back to their tailgate for 15 minutes than watch the second half of football then good riddance.

The following users thanked this post: thunderingon

Offline puma

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2024, 10:24:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the writing has been on the wall for awhile about the new no re-entry policy. I'm fine with it.

I just want things have been revamped in a way that one can reasonably expect to go to the restroom and then grab some concessions during halftime and not miss half of the third quarter. That's generally why I leave and come back at half time -- I don't feel like standing in line for 20 minutes for a hotdog and beer.

It's actually faster for me to walk across 3rd Ave, socialize a bit, and then come back than it is to just stay in the stadium.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline svherd

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2024, 10:40:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Students and other fans left in droves in the past. Not sure what the big deal is. If people can't stay in the stadium for 3 hours, I really wonder why they are there in the first place.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2024, 10:49:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have never left a stadium or arena at halftime of any game pro or college, unless I was going home or another destination. I never did get the practice at Marshall.
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 11:35:30 PM by Ovaltine Jenkins »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, miltonherdfan

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2024, 11:41:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have never left a stadium or arena at halftime of any game pro or college, unless I was gome home or another destination. I never did get the practice at Marshall.

It's because a lot of Marshall fans like to tailgate more than actually being a fan. Never understood the fascination of tailgating like it's something out of this world. Just sit in your backyard and drink if that is what you like to do. But I know people that go for the tailgating and never even enter the stadium. Those people and the ones that leave at halftime aren't Marshall fans.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, coalherd

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2024, 11:47:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ending the reentry only hurts loyal fans that actually come back in. The fans that leave at halftime and don't come back in won't care about this policy, but the ones that go outside for 10-20 minutes that come back in will care. They may decide to go outside and not come back in now instead of coming back in. Its a stupid policy that doesnt need change. Only using safety as an excuse. Maybe if we didnt have a crappy band then more people would sit and enjoy halftime. I like going out and spending some time with my friends AND IM always back in before kickoff.

The following users thanked this post: JeremyBlake23

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2024, 12:21:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ending the reentry only hurts loyal fans that actually come back in. The fans that leave at halftime and don't come back in won't care about this policy, but the ones that go outside for 10-20 minutes that come back in will care. They may decide to go outside and not come back in now instead of coming back in. Its a stupid policy that doesnt need change. Only using safety as an excuse. Maybe if we didnt have a crappy band then more people would sit and enjoy halftime. I like going out and spending some time with my friends AND IM always back in before kickoff.

So how much do you really care about the game if you would rather spend 15 minutes in the parking lot than be at the game for the entire second half? If you choose 15 minutes in the parking lot over an hour and a half of football then that speaks volumes. I mean you have to choose one so which is it?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2024, 12:21:40 PM »

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2024, 12:35:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then they should have went to a bar instead of a football game to begin with. If it's more important to go back to their tailgate for 15 minutes than watch the second half of football then good riddance.

Marshall isn't really in the best position to just let fans walk away, but ok.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2024, 12:54:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So how much do you really care about the game if you would rather spend 15 minutes in the parking lot than be at the game for the entire second half? If you choose 15 minutes in the parking lot over an hour and a half of football then that speaks volumes. I mean you have to choose one so which is it?

I am there for the entire second half and wont go out but this only hurts other fans. I tailgate before the game and after. Id rather be at the game but the point is there is no reason this exist. It doesn't help safety whatsoever. I'd be more okay with it if they just said this was so youd buy their concessions more. Its not for safety at all

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2024, 01:00:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall isn't really in the best position to just let fans walk away, but ok.

The game should be the number one reason you are there period!!! Marshall became a tailgating school because they thought it was so cool and forgot what was really important. Nothing is wrong with tailgating but If that is the number one reason people are they then learn how to have a cookout and get drunk in your back yard.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2024, 01:00:34 PM »