Author Topic: Safe to Stay With The Herd  (Read 2385 times)

Offline MUonium

Re: Safe to Stay With The Herd
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2024, 02:09:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's ok if you tolerate more stringent safety rules and ok if you don't.  it's ok if Marshall implements policies, in a reasonable fashion, to make as much money as possible.

i personally believe that venues where thousands of people cram together (or even hundreds) must have safety policies that are as strict as is allowed by law, that there is adequate law enforcement without undue intimidation.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2024, 02:09:15 PM »

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2024, 02:24:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WSAZ did a story on this yesterday.

New safety measures on horizon for Marshall fans

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/08/01/new-safety-measures-horizon-marshall-fans/

Offline coalherd

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2024, 07:50:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall isn't really in the best position to just let fans walk away, but ok.

And the "fans" who walk away are not really "fans".  It is all about "them", and not about Marshall!!

Many of them, no doubt, are often out in the parking lots during game action, first half, second half, whenever.  And in many cases they are tail gaiting with folks that they see every week, socialize with regularly, work with, etc., etc.  It's not like a get together with people at every tailgate at every home with people that they haven't seen in years, decades, etc.  There are a lot more hours at MU parking locations pre-game and post-game tailgating than the 3 to 4 hours during the game action itself.  I think many schools "shut down" tailgating" during the actual game period itself.
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 10:04:53 PM by coalherd »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2024, 08:22:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And the "fans" who walk away are not really "fans".  It is all about "them", and not about Marshall!!

Many of them, no doubt, are often out in the parking lots during game action, first half, second half, whenever.  And in many cases they are tail gaiting with folks that they see every week, socialize with regularly, work with, etc., etc.  It's not like a get together with people at every tailgate at every home with people that they haven't seen in years, decades, etc.  There are a lot more hours at MU parking locations pre-game and post-game tailgating than the 3 to 4 hours during the game action itself.  I think many schools "shut down" tailgating" duri the actual game period itself.

Marshall is more of a tailgate fanbase than they are a football fanbase on game days. I've always thought that was very strange.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2024, 02:22:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of you guys are way too high up on your horse about being a serious capital F FOOTBALL FAN who's only here to watch SERIOUS FOOTBALL and all those casual fans be damned unless they're ONLY HERE TO WATCH FOOTBALL.

That being said, this is probably something that needed to be done. I'm not aware of any other FBS team that allows fans to re-enter the stadium. Although I'm very skeptical it will actually help 2nd half attendance, I hope it does and am willing to give it a shot. And if I really want to go out at halftime, I'll just buy the cheapest ticket they have and come back in.

Of course, the excuse of this needing to happen because of the campus carry law is obvious BS. I'm guessing it's something Spears wanted to do since he got here but waited for a convenient excuse because he knew it would be unpopular.

Offline whf

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2024, 10:49:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The game should be the number one reason you are there period!!! Marshall became a tailgating school because they thought it was so cool and forgot what was really important. Nothing is wrong with tailgating but If that is the number one reason people are they then learn how to have a cookout and get drunk in your back yard.
    You apparently don't tailgate yourself.  Its more about being with the crowd, your own friends who come to the game from all of the area, etc.  It's about expanding the time you spend in the game atmosphere; we travel 2.5 hours each way to the game, tailgating makes it a six hour event instead of 3.5; a much better return on our drive time investment.  We visit with local family and friends we'd probably not otherwise get a chance to spend a couple hours with repetitively.    Just another example of railing on something one doesn't do, or doesn't understand why others do.

The following users thanked this post: Big City, ru4mu2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2024, 11:01:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You apparently don't tailgate yourself.  Its more about being with the crowd, your own friends who come to the game from all of the area, etc.  It's about expanding the time you spend in the game atmosphere; we travel 2.5 hours each way to the game, tailgating makes it a six hour event instead of 3.5; a much better return on our drive time investment.  We visit with local family and friends we'd probably not otherwise get a chance to spend a couple hours with repetitively.    Just another example of railing on something one doesn't do, or doesn't understand why others do.

I said nothing wrong with tailgating. But if people are bitching about not going out of the stadium for 15 minutes then that is a problem. If someone wants to tailgate 5 hours before and 5 hours after the game great!!!! But to bitch about 15 minutes and saying they will lose people from coming back in is nuts. If they would rather spend 15 minutes in the parking lot than and hour and a half of football in the second half then there is a problem. So try and stick to my words about HALFTIME and not overall tailgating in general.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MarshallHerdFan99

Safe to Stay With The Herd
    « Reply #32 on: August 03, 2024, 11:43:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It?s simply a dumb policy
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 11:48:56 AM by MarshallHerdFan99 »

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2024, 11:45:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It?s the fact that this policy does nothing to help safety, but they are using it as an excuse to they just want the concession sales during halftime. So they should man up and say that. There is nothing wrong with walking outside for ten to fifteen minutes and returning before halftime is over. Like I said earlier if we didn?t have such crap halftime entertainment then maybe people would have a reason to stay in during halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: JeremyBlake23

Offline banker

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2024, 07:10:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All you judgey people. LOL

Just because someone doesn?t want to consume their entertainment the same as you doesn?t make you right.  I?ve been going to games a long time, have been tailgating on the west lot for over 20 years. We have 5 spots that we have put together over the years and spend more on parking than game tickets. Those 5 spots cost $5,000 for six games. We have between 30-60 people that are there every game with another 50-100 dropping in and out every week.   We all sit in several different sections inside. We like to come out at half and bitch about all the dumb stuff and lack of offense we just witnessed, grab a snack, drink a beer and head back in.

I guess that means we aren?t fans, since we would rather do that than sit and ignore our subpar marching band or wait in line for the same 20 minutes for a cold one?  I guess it doesn?t matter that we have collectively bought 100s of road game tickets and donated 100s of thousands of dollars over the years, we just aren?t fans and should quit.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, Big City, ru4mu2, Echo 5, gochneaur645, 1996Herd

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2024, 08:03:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Drinking in the lot at half or standing in concession lines for 20 min.  All the same. 

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2024, 11:24:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should have had the no re-entry a long time ago.

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2024, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline HerdFanJ

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2024, 05:13:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should have had the no re-entry a long time ago.

Have no issue with it - however for game times that are not forced by television - to schedule any September home games before 7 PM sucks for those of us that CHOOSE to sit on the east side.  As a mid level donor - we are not appreciated IMO.

Offline whf

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2024, 07:13:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have no issue with it - however for game times that are not forced by television - to schedule any September home games before 7 PM sucks for those of us that CHOOSE to sit on the east side.  As a mid level donor - we are not appreciated IMO.
    I actually like 5 PM games; gives us a choice as to whether to stay up in Hton or come back home.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2024, 12:22:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I actually like 5 PM games; gives us a choice as to whether to stay up in Hton or come back home.

Have similar choice for many of similar games, whf.  Two-to-three-hour trip back home after games that end 10:00 pm or thereafter are a little iffy at my age.  Stay in Huntington, spending $$$, about half of the time.  In that vein, we use to shop at the local Target just about every trip down to a MU event, game, etc.  Any word out around the area if/when the Target store will be reopened after remodeling, rebuilding, etc.  Would think they would be shooting for a date prior to the end of the year, Holiday season, etc., if possible.

Offline bighat

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2024, 09:01:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren were at the Shawnee Shooting incident and believe me it not just for money but safety.  We do not need shooting incident or the chance of a shooting incident at a football game.  I have a permit to carry and have no problem with the new rules.  If you want to tailgate stay out and tail gate but do not pooh pooh safety rules.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2024, 10:22:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No reentry does not benefit safety in anyway. Especially when you can just buy another ticket. I'm happy with the metal detectors but they are using safety as the excuse for no reentry

The following users thanked this post: banker

Offline svherd

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2024, 10:29:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The expanded areas will allow food trucks and other activities to be located there,  take place. Give it a chance. Or, you can take your ball and go home. The choice is yours.

Marshall was likely the only school in D1 that still allowed re-entry. It's just time.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: chris88, herdorbust2

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2024, 10:36:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The expanded areas will allow food trucks and other activities to be located there,  take place. Give it a chance. Or, you can take your ball and go home. The choice is yours.

Marshall was likely the only school in D1 that still allowed re-entry. It's just time.

My issue is them lying about the reason. If you can still buy another ticket then its not for safety

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2024, 10:37:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No reentry does not benefit safety in anyway. Especially when you can just buy another ticket. I'm happy with the metal detectors but they are using safety as the excuse for no reentry

Maybe they don't want to check people multiple times for safety just because they can't decide whether they can't make up their mind if they want to watch a football game or tailgate?

Offline bighat

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2024, 10:47:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People are putting their self-interests ahead of safety.  Most people will not buy second ticket.  They will still have to go through check.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2024, 11:15:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People are putting their self-interests ahead of safety.  Most people will not buy second ticket.  They will still have to go through check.

Like I said I have no issue with the metal detectors but the fact they allow you to buy a second ticket tells me its not about safety. If they banned anyone from entering in the second half then Id believe it was for safety

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2024, 11:15:29 AM »

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2024, 11:20:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I rarely go out for halftime, I usually just play on my phone or talk to my friends during halftime. I dont know why anyone would be in favor of this when our second half attendance sucks as is. It wont be any better but it can make it worse

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2024, 12:11:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wont be any better but it can make it worse

Exactly what will happen. But oh well. They'll learn eventually.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2024, 07:46:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, if it gets "worse" in the 2nd half because of this policy, then that's on the so-called "FANS" who depart.  Pretty clear that they are NOT at the game in the first place to support MU, root on the team, etc., but for their own "me" socialization reasons.   If MU is ever to take another step up overall athletically, then it needs real fans IN THE STANDS for 3 hours or a little more who are there for the players on the field in Kelly Green and White for, what, 6 Saturdays/dates a season.  Add it up, 3 hours X 6 games a season =18 hours a SEASON, or LESS THAN ONE DAY!!!!  If you can't give HERD football ONE DAY of real CONCENTRATED SUPPORT every season, then in reality what kind of fan are you??

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum94, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2024, 07:46:12 PM »