Author Topic: So what is your opinion on this new song.  (Read 992 times)

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
So what is your opinion on this new song.
« on: August 13, 2024, 10:36:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have always been torn on Country Roads. I am a proud son of WV, but it is so associated with the Sodomites up north. Plus John Denver probably wasn't even seeing West Virginia when he was writing the song...nonethelss...this kinda disrupts me.

HerdFans.com

So what is your opinion on this new song.
    « on: August 13, 2024, 10:36:21 AM »

Offline marshallmark

Re: So what is your opinion on this new song.
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 11:04:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Sampling" from others' songs has been going on for quite a while now - ever since Run DMC put their spin on "Walk this Way", I guess.  I'm not a big fan, but its intriguing.

I'm also not a fan of MGK, although this song isn't like most of his others.  I do like Jelly Roll, tho.

As an aside, is the constant need for more tattoos a certifiable psychological disorder yet?
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 08:29:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Frankly, I'm sorta sick of the song. It's so tied to WVU now, makes me puke.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 01:42:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cant handle all the sampling and autotune BS. Not of fan of either of these guys. Way overproduced!!   

The song Take Me Home Country Roads is a treasure! Screw the Mountaineers that have tried to hijack!! I learned the words to that song within a week of it being released and was singing it long before those clowns tried to steal it!! John Denver had never been to WV when it was written. It was a song started by Bill and Taffy Nivert about Maryland but they were struggling to finish it.  They showed it to John Denver and he helped finish it,  I think it was the 4 syllables in West Virginia that caused the change because it fit in the phrasing better.    fun fact: Bill and Taffy Nivert also had a group called The Starland Vocal Band who were one hit wonders with :  Afternoon Delight!
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 06:48:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have always been torn on Country Roads. I am a proud son of WV, but it is so associated with the Sodomites up north. Plus John Denver probably wasn't even seeing West Virginia when he was writing the song...nonethelss...this kinda disrupts me.

I don't care for this new song.

I have always liked Country Roads.
    We need to incorporate it in our everyday, it's a no brainer...
    We don't need to change the country roads song; just play it as is.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 06:37:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cant handle all the sampling and autotune BS. Not of fan of either of these guys. Way overproduced!!   

The song Take Me Home Country Roads is a treasure! Screw the Mountaineers that have tried to hijack!! I learned the words to that song within a week of it being released and was singing it long before those clowns tried to steal it!! John Denver had never been to WV when it was written. It was a song started by Bill and Taffy Nivert about Maryland but they were struggling to finish it.  They showed it to John Denver and he helped finish it,  I think it was the 4 syllables in West Virginia that caused the change because it fit in the phrasing better.    fun fact: Bill and Taffy Nivert also had a group called The Starland Vocal Band who were one hit wonders with :  Afternoon Delight!

Exactly! Like many songwriters you sometimes choose words and phrases that fit the song and not necessarily what's historically accurate. One of my favorite artists lyrics work so well with his song and when listening they sound fitting and perfect. But if you're reading them they don't necessarily make sense. It's all about turn of phrase and what fits. But I agree, the song was never written about West Virginia. It was just the perfect phrase at the perfect time to make that song a hit that it was. And John of course had a lot to do with it being successful.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/co-writer-of-take-me-home-country-roads-dispels-myths-surrounding-songs-origins/2525010/?_osource=db_npd_nbc_wrc_eml_shr

HerdFans.com

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 06:37:29 PM »