Author Topic: NHR: PAC 2 (12) Eyeing Tulane and Memphis  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

NHR: PAC 2 (12) Eyeing Tulane and Memphis
« on: September 17, 2024, 04:52:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

NHR: PAC 2 (12) Eyeing Tulane and Memphis
    « on: September 17, 2024, 04:52:27 PM »

Offline HerdEcon

Re: NHR: PAC 2 (12) Eyeing Tulane and Memphis
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 05:51:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Memphis and Tulane join the PAC 2 then the conference has made some serious financial commitments to them such as certain travel expenses being paid by the conference.  I don't see the PAC 2 keeping an automatic qualifier spot in the playoff regardless of which teams they bring on.  If I am Memphis and Tulane, I want to see the money.

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 05:59:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The talk on social media is that the PAC now thinks they can get up to $15 million for each school, but realistically will probably get $10 million.

Currently the AAC schools get $7 million each and the Mt West schools getting close to $5 million.

In this current  landscape of sports, have to get enough revenue to stay afloat even if it is traveling all across the country.
    « Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 08:08:33 PM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 08:20:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't see the PAC 2 keeping an automatic qualifier spot in the playoff regardless of which teams they bring on.

There are technically no conferences guaranteed an auto qualifier spot. They simply go to the top 5 ranked conference champions.

Of course, in reality, 4 of those spots are going to go to the P4 every year. While it won't happen every year, I think it's fairly safe to say that the rebuilt PAC will be the favorite of the 6 non-P4 conferences to get that 5th spot most years.

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 09:50:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two left-behind PAC teams no one wants and a handful of middle-of-the-road G5 programs (exception being Boise State) getting $15 million each? Hmmm?.🤔

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2024, 10:44:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Sun Belt is undervalued.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, svherd

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2024, 12:22:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two left-behind PAC teams no one wants and a handful of middle-of-the-road G5 programs (exception being Boise State) getting $15 million each? Hmmm?.🤔

I foresee the PAC being the next version of the Big East (now AAC) claiming to be one of the "power" conferences while the rest of the sporting world chuckles and ignores them.

The following users thanked this post: NewfieHerdFan

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2024, 07:43:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whatever
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline svherd

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2024, 08:30:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are fine where we are. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, herdtown, HerdEcon, wasbarryb, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2024, 08:53:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I foresee the PAC being the next version of the Big East (now AAC) claiming to be one of the "power" conferences while the rest of the sporting world chuckles and ignores them.

Agree. Again, with the exception of Boise State, those teams aren't/haven't set the world on fire. Tulane has been up for a couple of seasons. However, they're starting to descend back into mediocrity. Memphis is trending upward, but how long will that last once their players are lured away for more money from bigger schools? I guess I don't get some of the media fawning over this "new" conference and acting like its going to be a mover and shaker. No disrespect to the teams, but its just another G5 conference that the power conferences don't want to deal with.
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 08:57:19 AM by NewfieHerdFan »

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Herd at Work

• Junior Varsity
    • Still wearin the green- and still winnin
    « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2024, 11:22:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now a new CDOA in the making, travel costs will shrink the incomes of these two or others
    "At Marshall we play for championships"-Bob Pruett

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2024, 12:03:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The PAC 12 will learn no one in NOLA cares about Tulane, except for the 1500 fans or so that show up to their games. LOL!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2024, 12:03:38 PM »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2024, 12:03:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are fine where we are. jmho

Agree, but if we get stuck in a situation where the AAC cannibalizes the SBC instead of the other way around, then we won't be fine. Imagine how bleak it would look if we lost App and JMU.

Offline whf

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2024, 03:23:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They should be after JMU, App State, MU and Texas State

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2024, 03:30:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Joining that bunch was a mistake when they were called C-USA and it would be another mistake now.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2024, 03:33:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, but if we get stuck in a situation where the AAC cannibalizes the SBC instead of the other way around, then we won't be fine. Imagine how bleak it would look if we lost App and JMU.

I do worry about that scenario. They have a war chest of exit fee money to use as leverage. The SBC doesn't have any.

I think ECU would rather be in the SBC at this point, especially if Memphis and ECU leave, but the SBC can't offer enough money to offset them buying their way out of the AAC to make it worth it.

It would really suck if App State, JMU, and ODU got pulled out of the conference. A real kick in the gut. It'll probably never happen, but I'm ready for this latest round of musical chairs to end.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Offline herd2win

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2024, 03:36:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like the SBC and would hate to lose App or JMU.  I am guessing the AAC would go after JMU first, ODU second and then App.  Based on their big market approach last time.  App has a tiny market and is very niche.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2024, 03:38:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like the SBC and would hate to lose App or JMU.  I am guessing the AAC would go after JMU first, ODU second and then App.  Based on their big market approach last time.  App has a tiny market and is very niche.

Harrisonburg, va isn't that large a market.

Offline MUther

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2024, 04:07:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Harrisonburg, va isn't that large a market.

It's their budget that makes them attractive and smart leadership

Offline svherd

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2024, 04:31:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The state of Virginia is cracking down on them. Soon, they will not be able to soak the students with the exorbitant fees they have now. They charge a student fee of like $2300 a semester, most of which goes to athletics. That figure has been mandated to come down. We'll see how well JMU adjusts

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, HerdEcon, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline whf

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2024, 05:15:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I meant that the PAC 12 should go after these four, this would make an absolute top tier G5, and if things as they should, almost guarantee an annual chance at the dance.

MU could make this work, we di it in the original C-USA, and I think the money would come from donors to make it work.

Offline MUther

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2024, 07:12:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The state of Virginia is cracking down on them. Soon, they will not be able to soak the students with the exorbitant fees they have now. They charge a student fee of like $2300 a semester, most of which goes to athletics. That figure has been mandated to come down. We'll see how well JMU adjusts

No they're not.  We've heard that since ODU joined CUSA.  Nothing has changed.  They had to be below a certain percentage by a certain date, but that time has come and gone.  It's not enforceable, nor should it be.  It's not mandatory to go there, it's not a hidden fee, it's a consumer choice.  They could just charge more in tuition, which is cheaper than other state schools in VA and then funnel the money back to athletics.  At least with a transparent fee you know what you're paying and paying for.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2024, 07:12:08 PM »

Online Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2024, 02:29:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The PAC 12 will learn no one in NOLA cares about Tulane, except for the 1500 fans or so that show up to their games. LOL!
    I can testify to that. I used to go to some Tulane home games a few years ago.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 02:35:43 AM by Lord Haw-Haw »

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2024, 07:52:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Here's an interesting article frome earlier this year that goes into the numbers. ODU also has the same issue.

https://cardinalnews.org/2024/03/27/students-are-forced-to-subsidize-college-sports-why/

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2024, 08:12:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, did a little internet research. JMU spent 68 million on athletics in 2023. Of that, 53.3 Million was subsidized by student fees, the highest in the country for any school. ODU by chance was second highest in fees used to subsidize athletics. Several articles mentioned with Va state legislature looking into this funding and its effect on the students cost of tuition and attending schools. I look for this to be changed in the future.

Frankly, I am glad Marshall doesn't soak the students like this to foot most of the bill for athletics. Students would drop like flies if they did.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 08:16:44 AM by svherd »

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2024, 08:12:26 AM »