Author Topic: Greg White  (Read 4331 times)

Offline HERDFAN1999

Greg White
« on: April 06, 2005, 08:53:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I truly do not understand so many Herd fans beating up on Greg White.  What kind of a job did Greg do while at Marshall?  Two points:

1.  Most of our teams had average talent as best for the MAC.  Greg usually had an average finish.  
    2.  Most of the problems during his last years were caused by JR and Tamar not getting along.  The team was not that close and I don't really think that was his fault.  It was actually probably a good coaching job for them to win as many as they did.

Greg probably could have been a better recruiter.  And yes, we did only have average finishes.  But I would take an average finish this year, wouldn't you?  My point is, I don't see why we beat him up.  He did an average job and he is not the one responsible for our recent performance.  It was probably his time to step down but I don't understand why so many are quick to pounce on him.  He loved our Herd as much as anyone.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

Greg White
    « on: April 06, 2005, 08:53:54 PM »

Online carolinaherdfan

Greg White
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I only read the first two lines of your post. That, was enough to tell me
    I needed to come to the defense. IMHO, we would be tickled to death if
    Gregg White was still the coach of the MU Thunderingherd!

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:smile:

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Greg White
    « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GW avg finishs were because he loaded up on DII DIII and IAA schools at the begining of the season. If White ever had to coach with a schedule like ours last year we may have won 1 game last year. White is where he belongs now and is actually doing good, so do I feel bad or sorry. Not at all.

Online carolinaherdfan

Greg White
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:12:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's me get this straight with you guy's. Greg White's teams are just good HS BS teams.

Anonymous

Greg White
    « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 09:16:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg White was a budding star.  weenie Vitale named him year in and year out as one to watch.  Sometimes, stars flame out or hit their peak. His recruiting wasn’t that bad at all. This year's team, AW, David Anderson, and Mark Patton to name a few were all GW's recruits.  His 2 assistant coaches Jeff Boals and Kevin Keats were very good coaches.  The only suspect coach was Chalie Hagley (sp). He had no college experience at all.  Anyway, GW is much better than we are giving him credit for.  How many of you would have rather been 16-12 or even 14-14 this year instead of 6-22?  Regardless of GW, give Coach Jirsa a chance.  Kentucky, Oklahoma State, Duke and even North Carolina have lost their mojo over the past 15 years.  Huntington and MU were in the "one-bid" MAC.  Hopefully, C-USA will get us some players.  A modicum of patience is needed. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and thank God, the carpet bagger mayor Felinton hasn’t destroyed Huntington is 5+ years.

Anonymous

Greg White
    « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 09:18:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    DII & IAA schools.

1st, we played Sheperd once a fellow WV institution, and there are no D-IAA schools in basketball. Never the less, wins are wins and they count in basketball unlike football.

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    Greg White
    « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While White wasn't the greatest coach in the world, he did recruit well.

Compare the recruits we got and were close to getting when Greg White was here to the recuits we are getting now.

Greg White was competing with Xavier, Dayton, UAB and other decent schools for recruits.

Jirsa is competing against The Citadel, Appy St and Junior Colleges.

With Greg White we had good talent and decent records. With Ron Jirsa we have poor talent and bad records.

Before anyone gets the little Emoticons with the horse being beaten remember this: Its April 6th, what else is there to talk about?

• Varsity
    Greg White
    « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 09:21:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DII win do not count in basketball actually. You get more out of a 1-AA win in football than a DII win in basketball.

Online carolinaherdfan

Greg White
    « Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 09:23:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey, Texas, I did not read your post, but I know you cannot imagine the pain we!

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Anonymous

Greg White
    « Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 09:26:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Young Herdman,
     Thanks for the clarification.

Carolina,
      I am not understanding your last post? Do you mean feel your pain? Just looking for clarification; I am not trying to start an argument.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Greg White
    « Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 09:46:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "TexasHerdFan"
    How many of you would have rather been 16-12 or even 14-14 this year instead of 6-22?

Depends on the schedule you are talking about. Lets take a look at GW last season at Marshall and his schedule and the upgraded schedule that Jirsa has for us.

White's Schedule

Opponent (click for recap)
    Lativia (exh.)
    Branch West Basketball (exh.)
    at Niagara
    Kentucky State
    at Rutgers
    at NORTHERN ILLINOIS
    Radford
    at Morehead State
    Western Carolina
    at Massachusetts
    WESTERN MICHIGAN
    at BUFFALO
    TOLEDO
    CENTRAL MICHIGAN
    at KENT STATE
    West Virginia
    BUFFALO
    at BALL STATE
    OHIO
    at EASTERN MICHIGAN
    at WESTERN MICHIGAN
    BOWLING GREEN
    AKRON
    at MIAMI
    ESPN Bracket Buster
    KENT STATE
    at OHIO
    at AKRON
    MIAMI

Jirsa's Scedule

at UNC-Wil   
    E Tenn St   
    Oregon
    at E Michigan   
    UAB   
    at Illinois St   
    at W Kentucky   
    High Point   
    at Xavier   
    C Michigan   
    BGU   
    at Ohio
    W Virginia   
    Toledo   
    Akron   
    at Kent St   
    at Buffalo   
    Kent St   
    at N Illinois   
    at Ball St   
    E Michigan   
    at W Michigan   
    at Miami (OH)   
    Buffalo
    Ohio   
    at Akron   
    Miami (OH)   
    at Ohio

Jirsa's schedule is upgraded about 150% over White's in 2 years.

Anonymous

Greg White
    « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 09:50:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm really starting to feel for the current players remembering how they stood up for GW when everyone was giving him hell.....

HerdFans.com

Greg White
    « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 09:50:03 PM »

Offline 2xBison

Greg White
    « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ok boys.  let's keep it simple for you boys.

Throw out the out of conference schedules.

Look at white's MAC record.

Never was this bad.

Hell, he went into the MAC rebuilding and starting the likes of joda.  No question he did better than jirsa.  Even jirsa's good wins to date (uab last year, miami this year and wvu this year) don't beat white's wins over wake while rated and dayton and detroit...he also barely missed getting UC while they were an elite.

i thought it was time for white to go.  however, if i'd had any idea this is where we were going, i would have thought underachieving and early tourney exits aren't so bad.

this %^&* sux.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Anonymous

Greg White
    « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I completely agree with the schedule upgrade. However, a win is a win. Let's say we can only schedule 10 out of conference games.  I would schedule 2 juggarnauts, 4 equal opponents, and 4 opponents below us. That means I will probably go 6-4, lose to teh juggarnauts, split teh equals and sweep the creampuffs.  As I said before, a modicum of patience is needed with Caoch Jirsa. He'll get us going in the next 2 years. We need to give every coach the time 4-6 years to get his players and philosophy in to action.

Offline teamgreen

• Rookie
    Greg White
    « Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 10:03:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wont bash White or Jirsa. But I personally dont care for either one. But I will go out on a limb and say that a lot of fans in this area sure would like to see Mike D'antoni wearing the green on the sidelines. Looks like it is never going to happen though. I found it amussing when Kayo and crew were searching out and interviewing possible candidates for the head basketball job that Mike wasnt even contacted. I remember reading a column in the paper where someone asked Mike would he be interested and he said "sure". He then followed it up by saying "Marshall has not contacted me to show interest". I later read in the paper several days later where I believe it was Kayo who was asked "Have you contact Mike about the position?" His reply was: "No we havent, he just does not have the experience for a head coaching postition that we are looking for." I laughed my  :-? off after reading that one. What kind of Maroon would say that he doesnt have the experience? I guess coaching in the NBA doesnt justify enough experience for Kayo and crew.  :lol:

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Greg White
    « Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 10:10:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "TexasHerdFan"
    I completely agree with the schedule upgrade. However, a win is a win.

You wanna look at it that way then write the University and we can be like ETSU and drop Football and move into the A-SUN. and play with the Belmont's and Cambell's. As you say a win is a win. Ooooo did I mention even if you go 21-3 your RPI gets no higher then 200.

I would rather upgrade my schedule from Kentucky State, Radford and such to Western KY, Oregon and Xavier. We were competitive in all but about 4 games this year. If we had a finisher that actually took over the game we would have won more, if not alot more.

Anonymous

Greg White
    « Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 10:18:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who said anything about dropping football. I am simply stating that it is fine to schedule better opponents; I even encourage it for fan base reasons. However, you must protect your home court and beat the teams you have the ability to beat.  We did not do that last year.

By the way 21-3 would definetely get an NIT bid, which is mroe than we have had post season wise in a long time.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Greg White
    « Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 10:19:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mike D'antoni would have been another Billy Donovan. He would have been here 2 years max. And moved on to a bigger program maybe OSU last year or Tennessee this year. And then been there 2-3 years max until an NBA team came calling. I truly believe he is where he wants to be. Coaching in the NBA. He has said in many interviews.

Offline teamgreen

• Rookie
    Greg White
    « Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 10:21:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    Quote from: "TexasHerdFan"
    I completely agree with the schedule upgrade. However, a win is a win.

You wanna look at it that way then write the University and we can be like ETSU and drop Football and move into the A-SUN. and play with the Belmont's and Cambell's. As you say a win is a win. Ooooo did I mention even if you go 21-3 your RPI gets no higher then 200.

I would rather upgrade my schedule from Kentucky State, Radford and such to Western KY, Oregon and Xavier. We were competitive in all but about 4 games this year. If we had a finisher that actually took over the game we would have won more, if not alot more.

I totally agree with what you say. We simply did not have a guy who could standup and somewhat show some dominance and take over a game inside or outside the paint.

Offline HuntersvilleHerd

Change of Heart?
    « Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 10:24:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Having ruled out D'Antoni, KO stated that MU would not be conducting any "courtesy" interviews.

Now KO is preparing to interview Dave Roberts?

Online carolinaherdfan

Greg White
    « Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 10:28:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • youngherdman! It is Pain!

• Varsity
    Greg White
    « Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 10:29:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So what if D'Antoni was another Bill Donovan? If he would have jumped ship that means he did something right. Would you rather win 20 games for 2 years and have to find a new coach or  lose 20 games a season and have to find a new coach?

Guess we will find out the answer to the last question sooner than the 1st.

We are all worried about MU being a "steping stone job."

Get real people! MU will always be a stepping stone job. Unless MU ranks up there with the Duke's and UNC's of the world, then a coach will always look to move up.

Besides, what makes you think Jirsa wouldn't have jumped ship if he would have won 20 games these past two years?

HerdFans.com

Greg White
    « Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 10:29:40 PM »

Online carolinaherdfan

Greg White
    « Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 10:31:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is all BS!

Offline teamgreen

• Rookie
    Greg White
    « Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 10:53:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Young Herdman"
    So what if D'Antoni was another Bill Donovan? If he would have jumped ship that means he did something right. Would you rather win 20 games for 2 years and have to find a new coach or  lose 20 games a season and have to find a new coach?

Guess we will find out the answer to the last question sooner than the 1st.

We are all worried about MU being a "steping stone job."

Get real people! MU will always be a stepping stone job. Unless MU ranks up there with the Duke's and UNC's of the world, then a coach will always look to move up.

Besides, what makes you think Jirsa wouldn't have jumped ship if he would have won 20 games these past two years?

I totally agree with what you say here. If Jirsa had won 20 games the past 2 years I to think he would have already been long gone.

Online carolinaherdfan

Greg White
    « Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 11:23:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MU, will sometimes be a stepping stone job. i.e. Just to begin with we are much better that 2/3 of all job's. MU, will be a stepping stone job until we decide we need to make a change. i.e. we can do what we want to do.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

HerdFans.com

Greg White
    « Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 11:23:39 PM »