Author Topic: Charleston QB Club  (Read 1527 times)

Offline HerdHead

Charleston QB Club
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:29:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Chas QB Club met yesterday at the Embassy Suites in Charleston.  About 90 people attended.  Coach Kueck was the speaker.  Because it was "Marshall Day" at the legislature, a nice group of Marshall dignitaries also attended.  Here are the highlights:

1)  Bob Anderson spoke about the Spring Practice in South Charleston this Saturday (April 9) at 6:00 at Oakes Field.   A lot of events are planned around the practice.  A fun time will be had by all.  Look for the QB Club's table with membership applications ($25 for the entire year) and our members circulating thru the crowd with 50/50 tickets.  Open your wallets, as this is one of the Club's major fundraisers, along with the Valentine's Dance and the annual golf tournament.   Speaking of which, the golf tournament will be held at Berry Hills on June 6th.  The QB Club will sponsor a dinner and auction of Herd memorabilia on June 5th, also at Berry Hills.  ALL money raised by the QB Club goes directly to the football program.

2)  Thoughts/Quotes from Coach Kueck:

a)  On Saturday's practice:  "Saturday's practice will last anywhere from 1:45 to 2 hours.  It will be a situational scrimmage.  We'll work on down and distance, trying to do specific things.   We'll also work quite a bit on the kicking games."

b)  On the team's progress thus far:  "We're running around pretty good out there.  One of the problems we have is only about 12 of our players are old enough to shave.  But we're learning through our mistakes.  I tell them to go full speed now, and we'll eventually iron out the mistakes."

c)  On areas of strength (after talking about the experience and ability in the secondary):  "I think we have a great group of young LB's.  They're tall, lean, and they fly around to the football."

d)  On injuries:  "We expect to have Toby Bullock back by two-a-days.  Marcus Fitzgerald will not practice on Saturday, so he can fly to Minn to attend an annual memorial service for his mother."

e)  On the QB situation:  "We have three really good football players at quarterback.  We probably won't decide on a starter until we begin preparation for the first game.  But the competition is a good thing.  We have three guys who are really working their fannies off because of the competition.  And that's how you build a really successful program.  When you have guys on your team who are fighting for a position every single day, and trying to make themselves better every single day, that's when you've really got something."  

f)  On Bradshaw:  "He is a gen-u-ine talent.  I really feel he can be the best RB in C-USA next year.  Because of that, though, we may not rep him as much on Saturday.... he's not going to get any faster!  He's just a great ballplayer.  He's really jumped on the opportunity to move positions.  That's hard for some players, but he's really chaumped down on the bit.   We are moving him around so we can get the ball in his hands.  He's just a super ballplayer."  

g)  On practice:  "We want to make everything up-tempo.  We want to hit the field running, practice hard, and run in the locker room.  That's how you go about your business.  The effort and enthusiasm have been really good."  

h)  On classroom:  "We are checking EVERY single class every single day.  We tell them this university was here before the football team was here.  If they miss a class, they have a 5:00am conditioning session with me.  Regarding our other kids, I don't know how much I can legally say, but we should know something on the prop kids around May 15."

i)  On recruiting (he qualified his answer, and several other answers, with "depending on what happens [with the coaching decision]"):  "We'll start recruiting 7 days after spring ball ends.  We are looking at recruiting new regions to go along with our new conference."

j)  On o-line coach Mike Cummings:  "We are enjoying him and his enthusiasm.  He is a great coach.  We are lucky to have him."  

k)  On o-line:  "We are a little thin there right now.  We had a 90-play scrimmage the other day and had 6 scholarship linemen.  You'd like to have about 10.  We've gotta get deeper along the o-line."  

l)  On Matt Morris:  "He's what, in football terms, they call a 'tweener'.  He's a big receiver and a small tight end.  He runs a 4.5, so we've been playing him at the slot this spring, and we think he can do some good out there.  We may rotate him from slot to TE in 2-a-days to create a matchup problem for the defenses we play."

m)  On coaching:  "If I get the job, I'll hire a QB coach."

HerdFans.com

Charleston QB Club
    « on: April 07, 2005, 11:29:04 AM »

Offline Max

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:42:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the report.  Great job!

Offline greenday

• Practice Squad
    • Member Since 02/2009
    Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 12:46:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks.  It's great to hear some real news for once instead of all these smelly opinions.

Offline stevo56

• Rookie
    Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 03:43:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks I agree I really get tired of all of the HC speculation. Sounds like Coach Kueck has keen eye for what he wants to accomplish if he gets the job.

Offline HerdHead

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 03:58:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, getting back to the "regional recruiting"....

Coach Kueck said they're currently doing two things a little differently than in the past:

a)  Looking into new areas of recruiting based on C-USA.  He put it this way:  they look at recruiting hotbeds like Houston, TX.  Marshall has never really recruited Houston.  But Houston is home to C-USA members Houston (obviously) and Rice, a do-able drive to SMU and a do-able drive to Tulane.  In other words, a recruit's parents could watch their son at Marshall three or four times a year, depending on the scheduling.  

b)  Looking into former hotbeds of recruiting and attempting to re-open the doors.  He said they've charted every recruit since the early 90's to try and gauge where the recruits were from and where Marshall needs to return.  (Northern Virginia immediately came to my mind when he mentioned this).

Offline tradebait

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdHead"
    Yes, getting back to the "regional recruiting"....

Coach Kueck said they're currently doing two things a little differently than in the past:

a)  Looking into new areas of recruiting based on C-USA.  He put it this way:  they look at recruiting hotbeds like Houston, TX.  Marshall has never really recruited Houston.  But Houston is home to C-USA members Houston (obviously) and Rice, a do-able drive to SMU and a do-able drive to Tulane.  In other words, a recruit's parents could watch their son at Marshall three or four times a year, depending on the scheduling.  

b)  Looking into former hotbeds of recruiting and attempting to re-open the doors.  He said they've charted every recruit since the early 90's to try and gauge where the recruits were from and where Marshall needs to return.  (Northern Virginia immediately came to my mind when he mentioned this).

We have not really recruited Georgia real heavy for the last few years.  There are some really good football players in Georgia.
    Superior skill and knowledge win over fear and superstition each and every time.

Offline HerdHead

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 05:38:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He didn't specifically mention the state of Georgia, but he did mention the Carolinas, because of the ECU connection.

Offline NC Thunder

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice job HerdHead.  Thanks for the info and the effort.
    I think it will be a tall order to mine TX recruits to MU.
    I guess we might get a few, but so many schools with
    bigger names and closer campuses will claim the lion's
    share.  I would expext about as many from TX as we
    get from CA.

Offline mr_ash_1995

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 09:47:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His comment about the OL being thin is kind of discouraging...I hope the OL gets better before the 1st game.  I believe this area was our downfall last year.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline DA4Dherd

• Varsity
    Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:47:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "mr_ash_1995"
    His comment about the OL being thin is kind of discouraging...I hope the OL gets better before the 1st game.  I believe this area was our downfall last year.

It's thin now - Bullock's out, Ziegler's hurting.

By fall we'll have returning starters Cook, Legursky, Bullock, JUCO's Barnes (already here) and W. Jones, scholarship players Inman, Ziegler, Baynes & Howard, promising walk-on Altobello and new freshmen Leggett & Bruhin who might be ready to contribute, along with new freshmen Rodriguez and Baldridge.  We'll be deep when it counts barring a rash of injuries (knock on wood) :oops:
    Go HERD.....and Go get your PSA Test....it may just let you cheer a little longer.....

Offline W0lfman

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 11:42:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HerdHead, I have to admit you give one of the best QB Club rundowns I've seen.  Great job!

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 08:53:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just curious - who is Bob Anderson?

HerdFans.com

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 08:53:09 AM »

Offline Blade

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 09:03:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "FLORIDA HERD FAN"
    Just curious - who is Bob Anderson?

Bob works for the City of South Charleston and has been the driving force behind Marshall's So Chas Practice.

A well respected PR guy and a good friend to Marshall.

Offline Lake Norman Thunder 1

• Junior Varsity
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    Nice Report
    « Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 01:48:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is a great rundown.
    We need O line Help with Depth we all can agree with that.
    We have a lot of ???? going into this season
    We need to all hold on & enjoy the ride!!!
    Spreadin the word of the HERD in the SOUTH!!!

Offline gtrman4herd

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 03:49:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    JUCO's Barnes (already here)

I was told by a coach that it was not a good use of a scholarship either.  Our OL was left very barren by coach McHale and the other coaches are a little perturbed by that.
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

HerdFans.com

Charleston QB Club
    « Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 03:49:25 PM »