Author Topic: IF Marcum wasn't here...........  (Read 1114 times)

Offline DJdaHERDfan

IF Marcum wasn't here...........
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:45:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • just think..............

Donnan on the sideline

and D'Antoni on the hardwood(the first time)
    or Greg Marshall on the hardwood(second time)
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

HerdFans.com

« on: October 14, 2007, 08:45:30 PM »

Offline HarpDaddy

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Riiight!  I think not my friend.

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 09:23:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HarpDaddy"
    Riiight!  I think not my friend.

If shoemaker would have been the ad instead of Marcum....then you think wroooooooong my buddy....except there wouldn;t have been a second b-ball hire, as D'Antoni would still have been here.

Offline BLUE

• Rookie
    « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 09:25:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • we have jones who seems to be doing a good job so who cares who we may of had in your dreams we have jones so lets support him and quit this dreaming jones has not even coached a pre season game and you are talking of coaches we may have gotten who cares support jones

Offline MUtim

• All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "BLUE"
    we have jones who seems to be doing a good job so who cares who we may of had in your dreams we have jones so lets support him and quit this dreaming jones has not even coached a pre season game and you are talking of coaches we may have gotten who cares support jones

No one said we didn't support Jones.  He seems to be doing a GREAT job.  The post was about if Marcum had not been here.....and I care about my dreams....and don't give a flying flip what you think...and even though I think Jones is doing great,,,,I am not going to kid anyone in the fact that I would trade him for D'Antoni in a heartbeat....just like 98% of any college basketball fan that roots for any team.  I am tired of people telling me what I can and cannot post...I don't like reading all these kum-ba-yah posts for our football coach, but I am not going to tell them they can't post the drivel.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking at the big picture, it is my hope that next summer Marcum will chose to retire; or that the BOG will not extend his contract again, but allow him to retire gracefully. Then Kopp can bring in his own man to run the AD Dept. One that has the vision, talent and the ability to lead Marshall Athletics forward. Of course to get a good AD and not limit themselves, Marshall is going to have to pay more for the next one.

Offline BLUE

• Rookie
    « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yea mutim the post was about if marcum was not here but why have a hypothetical post getting rid of  jones for dantoni has he ever been a college coach? if so where. to coach and win in the pros takes different coaching style than does college two examples pitino and calapari both are great college coaches but niether could win in the pros so again your dream is just that a dream and was not nor will it ever happen dantoni is making way to much money to ever come to mu and with his record in the nba as a coach i dont think mu will ever afford him and you go ahead and post what you want but dont you think your being kind of childish wishing a coach gone before he even coaches his first game at mu if you want to complain about syndor go ahead i think his record speaks for himself but to wish a coach gone before he coaches his first game is just stupid

Offline Thunders

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:20:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marcum is a tool and needs to retire ASAP. He is nothing but a cancer for the AD.  He does nothing to make this dept. better. NOTHING.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline MUtim

• All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:54:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "BLUE"
    yea mutim the post was about if marcum was not here but why have a hypothetical post getting rid of  jones for dantoni has he ever been a college coach? if so where. to coach and win in the pros takes different coaching style than does college two examples pitino and calapari both are great college coaches but niether could win in the pros so again your dream is just that a dream and was not nor will it ever happen dantoni is making way to much money to ever come to mu and with his record in the nba as a coach i dont think mu will ever afford him and you go ahead and post what you want but dont you think your being kind of childish wishing a coach gone before he even coaches his first game at mu if you want to complain about syndor go ahead i think his record speaks for himself but to wish a coach gone before he coaches his first game is just stupid

You are making this about Jones....and that is not what it was about. You are right, we will never have D'Antoni now, for all the things you have listed...however, that doesn't mean we couldn't have had him 5 years ago before he started coaching Phoenix.  I think Jones is doing a great job.  I went to Midnight Madness and cheered like crazy for him.  However, it's nto a knock on Jones to say I would trade him for D'Antoni...I would also trade him for Phil Jackson, Coach K, and several other GREAT coaches who have many years of experience.  I am betting so would you.  Jones may turn out to be better than all of them and I hope he does.  And don't tell me it couldn't have happened in the past with Mikey D.....the man applied for the job, if you don't think that is the case, then you haven't been following Marshall for very long....he didn' get a sniff because of Marcum and that was the orginal intent of the post.  Quit making it as if I want Jones gone right now, because that is not the case.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:24:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Riiight! I think not my friend.

Perhaps not the scenario DJ posted, although those options were possible. What is certain, is that we would be better off in football and men's basketball if Kayo was not our AD.

It's just time.........

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    Re: IF Marcum wasn't here...........
    « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    just think..............

Donnan on the sideline

and D'Antoni on the hardwood(the first time)
    or Greg Marshall on the hardwood(second time)

It's hard to say if Bobby would have left had there been a different AD. But I'm here to tell you Coach looks a lot healthier retired. I'm sure he misses coaching but he sure has more pep in his step now than he did that last season.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline go1970herd

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • :-? indoor facilty
    Go Herd and Feel the Thunder

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »

Offline NewBombTerk

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Donnan would have had his head in the 1996
    championship game against Montana we would have had another championship trophy in our case
    Why do you all want to get rid of a coach that DOES NOT want to ever leave for another job and bring back someone that was in Lexington,KY just hours after choking in the championship game ?
    Donnan was here once and thought he was to BIG/GOOD for our little program and now you all want to bring him back.....BAD THOUGHTS !
    My slogan......"DON'T WANT DONNAN !"
    On Halloween night 1965, The Beverly Hills Residents Assocoation wants to tear down TUBBY'S DRIVE INN and one year later open an office building. For one last night The "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" reigned supreme and left their mark on Beverly Hills forever !

Offline MUtim

• All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How can you say that Snyder does not ever want to leave.  Maybe a more accurate statement would be, will not ever have anyone offer him another head coaching position while at Marshall.  Regardless, Snyder said what he needed to say in order to get the job.  If you think that we are Snyder's dream school....then why do you think we were about his 4th college stop out of HS?  The man transferred and transferred and finally came to Marshall.  He would leave us in a heartbeat for a lot of jobs.

Offline NewBombTerk

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • doubtfull Timmy.....VERY doubtful !
    On Halloween night 1965, The Beverly Hills Residents Assocoation wants to tear down TUBBY'S DRIVE INN and one year later open an office building. For one last night The "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" reigned supreme and left their mark on Beverly Hills forever !

Offline svherd

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder will have to make up a lot of ground quickly for any school to consider him for a head coach. At, 4-7, 5-7 and possibly 2-10 or worse, he won't get a sniff for years. If a school wants one of our coaches, that means we are winning, and thats great, more power to 'em.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline ThunderValley

Re: IF Marcum wasn't here...........
    « Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 03:46:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    just think..............

Donnan on the sideline

With you all the way DJ

Offline Voice of Reason

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Marcum were not here:

- No CUSA (his contacts got us in, not DShoe)
    - No WVU series (say what you want his relationship with the Gov. got it done)
    - No Marshall Reynalds in the near future (again relationships..)
    - Not to mention he hired some very good young administrators while AD.  O'Mally is polished will be an AD soon.  Gimbl is a stud, brought Morehouse and Reed (now at Miami-FL) back to their alma mater, and hired Matt Monroe away from Pitt.

Offline ThunderZone

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sure you are right in regards to O'Malley ... K.O. is going to do everything he can to leverage O'Malley into that job.

In time O'Malley may prove a worthy candidate ... He may even prove in time to be a fantastic A.D.

But, he doesn't deserve this job based on being K.O.'s understudy ... If he gets the job so be it ... But, only after a proper search committee and an exhaustive interview process has played out.

I've had it with K.O and his tactics ... He will do everything he can to tab his own replacement ... He is an ego maniac.

I don't trust him with that decision ... Even more he hasn't earned the right for such a decision.

Personally, I like O'Malley ... He's young, charismatic, and very personable ... I think in the end his biggest downfall is he's going to be linked to closely with K.O. ... By the time K.O.'s tenure is over, that may be a hurdle that Edwin Moses couldn't clear ...

Fair or unfair, that will be an issue for O'Malley.

Just my opinion.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Voice of Reason,

Certainly Kayo deserves credit for the successes during his tenure, and obviously deserves the heat for the failures.

Marshall is at it's lowest point in the past 20-30 years in the two revenue-producing sports. Why? Because we have an AD that is incapable of conducting proper searches for these critical hires.

Here's the sad facts:

Basketball

1) Held onto Greg White too long. White's decision to leave was his own choice.

2) Hired Ron Jirsa. The guy should never have even been considered for the Marshall job, let alone hired. Kayo's shortlist was laughable, and in the process, he dissed Mike D'Antoni, who wanted the job.

Football

1) His shortlist was a disgrace, and he ended up recommending Larry Kueck for the job. The guy who couldn't get a sniff for the head coaching job at his alma mater (Stephen F. Austin), a I-AA school. So, we end up with Snyder because of Kayo's incompetence. Hey, at least Snyder can recruit, so if/when he doesn't get it done, we'll have some talent in the cupboard. In the process he dissed Jim Donnan, who wanted to come back, and blew off conducting a proper national search.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • :mad:

I agree with Thunderzone and Garbanjo.

Offline MUtim

• All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Voice of Reason"
    If Marcum were not here:

- No CUSA (his contacts got us in, not DShoe)
    - No WVU series (say what you want his relationship with the Gov. got it done)
    - No Marshall Reynalds in the near future (again relationships..)
    - Not to mention he hired some very good young administrators while AD.  O'Mally is polished will be an AD soon.  Gimbl is a stud, brought Morehouse and Reed (now at Miami-FL) back to their alma mater, and hired Matt Monroe away from Pitt.

1) We would have gotten in CUSA even if you were the AD.  We were their number one target and even KO couldn't mess that up.
    2) WVU series would have happened even if Bobby Pruett were the AD.  The governor was hell bent on getting it done.  It was a political promise and he backed it up.
    3) Marshall Reynolds will be a Marshall fan when KO is long and gone.   I call BS on that one.  I will ask one of his close buddies (I am not) but I know one of them.
    4) I am sure you are correct...as I don't have a clue of any of their merits.  I'm sure they are all fine young workers.

It is obvious you have something up your crawlspace concerning D Shoe....you can't wait to knock the mans credentials for being an AD.  For a person calling himself "voice of reason"....I find this post of yours to be quite unreasonable and even ridiculous.

Dan Shoemaker for AD!!!!!!  He helped put us on the map...has many contacts....and I could give a crap if he has AD experience or not...the man is a GREAT sports businessman and we would be extremely lucky to have him take a paycut from his VP spot and come back home.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 08:51:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly MUTim. CUSA approached MU when Lance was the AD. The Gov. and Mike Ferrell drove the WVU series bus. KO would love to take credit for these things but, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marshall Ryenolds relationship with MU has transpired many AD's and Presidents, he'll be involved in any way he wants to be involved, KO or no KO.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree...

I read Voice of Reason's post and thought that it seemed kind of like the exact opposite of the truth on all counts.

No offense to Voice of Reason, but the statements were honestly not giving credit where credit was due to some deserving Marshall employees.

Offline Voice of Reason

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 09:19:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What employees deserve credit?

1.  CUSA looked at Marshall when BP was coach and passed if you recall.
    2.  Farrell should get some credit in the WVU series but Marcum was the main player.  PS - WVU admin. hates BP with a passion and that was always the biggest obstacle!
    3.  I stand by my comment about Reynalds.
    4.  The staff he has assembled of young Assoc/Asst AD's is pretty impressive.  Several of them will be mentioned to return to MU someday within the next 20 yrs to be the AD.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 09:19:47 PM »