Author Topic: Nebraska's fall easy to see coming  (Read 515 times)

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
Nebraska's fall easy to see coming
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With the news that Tom Osborne was hired as AD for Nebraska I thought this may be an interesting topic.
    As soon as they hired Callahan I knew Nebraska would come to this.  The reasons are simple.  Nebraska had an identity unlike any other in college football when they fired Solic, who had replaced the retired Tom Osborne..  That identity was the option, and that is what made them great.  The best running backs and biggest, strongest lineman in the country wanted to go to Nebraska..........because in the triple option the runnng back would get tons of yards and the lineman would get to run block 80% of the time (lineman tend to love run blocking).  
    Then Solic was fired after winning 9 games and 1 year removed from playing for the national championship.  In comes Callahan, an NFl guy that would bring an NFL passing came to Lincoln.  The problem is..........the top WR's and QB's in the country are going to want to go to USC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma or one of the California, Texas or Florida schools where it is warmer............not Lincoln Nebraska.  Plus, they are no longer getting the top runnng backs and lineman in the country because by going to this new offense, players don't see any advantage for going to Nebraska...........  They will never get the top recruits in California, Texas and Florida in this offense.  They will have to go back to their old identity to get them back.
    Now the top option players are going to WVU.
    But without their option identity...........they are just another NFL style offense located in the corn fields.

HerdFans.com

« on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:58:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sort of like a team we used to know who put QB's and WR's in the NFL on a regular basis. A team that was able to get national attention for its wide open style of offensive football.

A team that most every football fan in the US enjoyed watching. A team that was always exciting win or lose. A team that was innovative and spawned many copy cat offenses throughout mid major conferences and even a few BCS schools.

These teams knew to be successful, they needed the offense Marshall was running.

Then came Mr. Conservative....

Offline Voice of Reason

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:01:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Osborn is interim AD not permanent

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Voice of Reason"
    Osborn is interim AD not permanent

He was hired as interim............but i have a feeling it will not be short lived.  His hands are getting back on Nebraska football.

Offline Thunders

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:22:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Notice how programs like that don't waste time when they see things going wrong. They are one year removed from a bowl win and they are already making changes to do better. Elite teams don't wait years and years to make changes to get things better. They step in and make moves for the better. Marshall still runs the good ole boy system of business where they give you years past what you should get to turn a team around. That is why we will never be able to be a serious year in and year out contender, because we don't make the right decisions at the right times. We waste too much time and money trying to make something broken more broken.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline AtlTom

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:31:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Sort of like a team we used to know who put QB's and WR's in the NFL on a regular basis. A team that was able to get national attention for its wide open style of offensive football.

A team that most every football fan in the US enjoyed watching. A team that was always exciting win or lose. A team that was innovative and spawned many copy cat offenses throughout mid major conferences and even a few BCS schools.

These teams knew to be successful, they needed the offense Marshall was running.

Then came Mr. Conservative....

I could be wrong here but we have had the same OC for the last 6 or so yrs.

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshall fanatic"

Exactly! And that same OC did just fine until Mr. Conservative was hired and became his boss.

Snyder is the man who brought the Conservative crap here and reduced a proud team with over 20 years of consecutive winning to... Well, we all know what we are under his leadership.

For some odd reason you think Mr. Conservative has no input on our offense. I think your very, very wrong. His conservative style shows in the defense and special teams as well. Even the coin toss.

This is his team. He deserves exactly what he gets from the fans.

If he turns things around and starts winning, he will also get exactly what he deserves from the fans.

Offline Massherdfan

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Green Dog"
    Quote from: "marshall fanatic"

Exactly! And that same OC did just fine until Mr. Conservative was hired and became his boss.

Snyder is the man who brought the Conservative crap here and reduced a proud team with over 20 years of consecutive winning to... Well, we all know what we are under his leadership.

For some odd reason you think Mr. Conservative has no input on our offense. I think your very, very wrong. His conservative style shows in the defense and special teams as well. Even the coin toss.

This is his team. He deserves exactly what he gets from the fans.

If he turns things around and starts winning, he will also get exactly what he deserves from the fans.

:-D  I second that thought.
    I'm officially a Snyder Sunshinepumper!
    (3-9 & 12-23)

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 03:39:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Voice of Reason"
    Osborn is interim AD not permanent

Hence another MU parallel. As I recall Marcum was also hired as an interim.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 03:39:36 PM »