Author Topic: H-D: $10M practice facility 1 step closer  (Read 579 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
H-D: $10M practice facility 1 step closer
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:46:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    By ANTHONY HANSHEW

HUNTINGTON -- Both within his own football vacuum and big picture, Mark Snyder welcomes the possibility of an indoor practice facility.

Marshall University's Board of Governors included such a facility among 24 in its list of Capital Expenditures Projects from 2008 to 2013. Pending approval, construction on a $10 million indoor practice facility would begin in mid-2008.

Snyder, Marshall's third-year football coach, faces unique challenges among Conference USA rivals. The Thundering Herd by far is the league's northernmost program, presenting seasonal roadblocks throughout the year.

Preparations for the 2004 Fort Worth Bowl were stunted by extreme winter conditions throughout December. Lightning has interrupted practices on occasion, and Marshall worked out in a virtual sauna throughout preseason camp this year.

Tuesday's BOG move doesn't rubber stamp construction of an indoor facility, but signals a significant step.

"It would be a great asset," Snyder said. "We're in a new conference and we're keeping up with the Joneses.

Link: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x2001039890
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

« on: October 17, 2007, 04:46:08 AM »

Offline herdvillle

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:10:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder if this is for a bubble or a real bricks and mortar building.   Anyone recall the price tag for the bubble, when it was floated around a few years ago?

Offline marshall1123

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:36:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 10 mil is a lot for a bubble.

Offline MUTeke

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:20:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshall1123"
    10 mil is a lot for a bubble.

90 million is alot for a couple of stick-built dorms too but...

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great news that was alluded to by 2XBison last week.

Offline ThunderZone

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "MUTeke"
    90 million is alot for a couple of stick-built dorms too but...

I've never understood the complaining about the new dorms and what they look like right now ...

A lot of people seem to think that these are being done on the cheap and won't last for the long term ...

Do you not know that these new bldgs. under construction are going to be mostly brick?  ... Once the brick is laid those bldgs. are going to look great ... Not to mention brick isn't going anywhere for a long long time.

SEE LINK TO NEW BLDGS.:  http://www.marshall.edu/it/facilities/

Offline I'm4theHerd

• Rookie
    « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As I have said many times before, the IPF is the the number one need for Marshall athletics. I wish they were starting tomorrow, or at least the next day.

8-)  8-)  8-)  8-)

Offline Thunders

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will believe it when I see it. They have been talking about this for years now, much like the baseball field, and we have seen nothing but talk.  Until I see it being built beside the weightroom I will believe it. This subject comes up every 2-3 years in the media and then is gone. The list that was posted on here was a "wish" list and not actual things they will build this year. Would love to have the IPF but don't look for it anytime soon.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Liv4daherd

• Varsity
    « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:44:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Thunders"
    I will believe it when I see it. They have been talking about this for years now, much like the baseball field, and we have seen nothing but talk.  Until I see it being built beside the weightroom I will believe it. This subject comes up every 2-3 years in the media and then is gone. The list that was posted on here was a "wish" list and not actual things they will build this year. Would love to have the IPF but don't look for it anytime soon.

I think it's going to happen this time around.  At first, Dr. Kopp wasn't seeing the need...let alone the financing to build and maintain.  Now, that it's evident that we can't compete in C-USA on a MAC budget...I believe they've finally seen the light.  Maybe it took an 0-6 start to wake-up the administration.

Offline Olen

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Liv4daherd"
    I think it's going to happen this time around.  At first, Dr. Kopp wasn't seeing the need...let alone the financing to build and maintain.  Now, that it's evident that we can't compete in C-USA on a MAC budget...I believe they've finally seen the light.  Maybe it took an 0-6 start to wake-up the administration.

FWIW . . .

From what I understand, it had more to do with getting all the projects prioritized and then finding sources of funding for the projects.  Based on some of the things I have heard from different folks, Dr. Kopp and Mr. Ketchum worked extremely hard, in addition to several members of the BoG, to "create" more sources of funding through private financing (Capstone) and the bonding available.  

The IPF was always on "the list" (I heard this directly from someone close to the administration on several occasions going back to Sept. 2006), with the financing and maintenance being the sticking point.  With $10 million (projected), my impression (*warning:  speculation on my part*) is that the equation is ~$7 million for construction and $3 million set back for maintenance and upkeep, with the facility fee and / or other sources of revenue "replenishing" the maintenance fund.  <=== This last statement could be wildly off-base.

Offline ADub4Heisman

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 10:54:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't understand why so many people get worked up about the topic of an indoor practice facility. College athletes get worked to the bone. The fact that they know they'll be practicing regardless of weather won't help attract recruits IMO.

I'm not saying we don't need it. But I don't get why it is such a big deal. We've done well without it, and I don't think our recent struggles are because of a lack of an IPF.
    Go Marshall Herd!!!

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "ThunderZone"

I've never understood the complaining about the new dorms and what they look like right now ...

A lot of people seem to think that these are being done on the cheap and won't last for the long term ...

Do you not know that these new bldgs. under construction are going to be mostly brick?  ... Once the brick is laid those bldgs. are going to look great ... Not to mention brick isn't going anywhere for a long long time.

I know for a fact that those dorms are being built with the cheapest materials possible. I have a friend who is involved in the construction.

However, he says the rest of the project is being done well.

Maybe the school plans on leasing the property later or maybe they wanted to put more money in the larger projects.
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »

Offline Thunders

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my opinion, we shouldn't have to worry about trying to finance $10 mill. in the first place. I am not naming names but we have enough alums with loads of cash that could have easily had this built about 2 years ago. No excuse in my opinion why money has not been given to cover that. Maybe I am missing a huge reason why they have not given but if they haven't then not sure what the hold up is, unless someone in the administration has pissed them off to the point they don't want to help Marshall. I know I would have given back to my school if I made millions of dollars.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 12:01:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The longer they wait, the more expensive its going to cost. Same thing has happened with the new alumni center. That building should have been built years ago, and now its going to cost roughly 15% more just due to the university waiting.

As Thunders said, I'll believe it when I see shovels in the ground, that's going for the baseball stadium as well. I know its coming, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll be anytime soon.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 12:01:38 PM »