Author Topic: ESPN Radio is now reporting...  (Read 899 times)

Offline ThunderZone

ESPN Radio is now reporting...
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Byron Leftwich era will begin this Sunday.

Reports say that Petrino is telling the team right now and will make a formal announcement to the press later today that Byron is the new starter.

HerdFans.com

« on: October 17, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »

Offline Max

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:28:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ESPN.com has picked up the story, as well.

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • lets hope he makes the best of it, may be his best chance a being a starting QB or be relegated to back up status the rest of his career. Fling it Byron!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdNerd in Cincy

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, this is the first day in the rest of his life.

Let's hope he is judged by his performance, not the performance of his O-Line, droped balls, etc.

I always roll my eyes when 1 player gets credit (good or bad) for the outcome of a football game.  That being said, I hope Byron leads the Flacons to victory on his big broad shoulders.

Offline AtlTom

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat

Offline clovenhoof

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just hope he gets rid of the ball quickly, and doesn't stand back there and get creamed the way he did in Jacksonville. I never understood Del Rio. You draft a prolific passer from Marshall, then don't implement anything that plays to his strong points. Making him become a drop back passer 90% of the time. Don't give a decent O-line, then let him get demolished every game. Petrino needs to watch the old Marshall games and watch Leftwich work his magic, then give him the same set-up.
    "Oh just calm down and write that check for the Vision Campaign..."  Thundering In MD

Offline catfanatic1979

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Throw out any plays that were designated for Vick at the beginning of the season.

Do something to shore up that O-line and fast or else Byron will be screwed before he even touches the ball.

Tailor the offense to Byron's strengths and work around the weak o-line play through formations and play calling.

Do the 2 minute drill the entire game.

Offline clovenhoof

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:46:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "catfanatic1979"
    Throw out any plays that were designated for Vick at the beginning of the season.

Do something to shore up that O-line and fast or else Byron will be screwed before he even touches the ball.

Tailor the offense to Byron's strengths and work around the weak o-line play through formations and play calling.

Do the 2 minute drill the entire game.

You know I never thought about it, but with Byron under center, our entire offense DID look like a two minute drill for the entire game.
    "Oh just calm down and write that check for the Vision Campaign..."  Thundering In MD

Offline alumni74

• Varsity
    « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't be discouraged if he has a bad opener. He needs time to gel with his new team.

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 11:08:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "alumni74"
    Don't be discouraged if he has a bad opener. He needs time to gel with his new team.

They said something on Outside the Lines today that Atlanta's O Line doesn't have a single draft pick on it. They may have been exaggerating for emphasis, but obviously with Vick, pass protection is not a great issue.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline Thunders

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Atlanta's O line is not great and Byron just got there a few weeks ago. Even if he doesn't do well this weekend doesn't mean Byron's career is over. He hasn't had time to learn the offense and gel with the team. What do you expect him to do if he doesn't know all the plays. One thing is for sure, I hope they don't expect him to be a runner like Vick. I am sure they don't expect that.

I think Byron would fit well in an offense like the Patriots, Rams or Browns. Too bad the Browns have 2 decent QBs. Would love to see him in the brown and orange with the type of talent the Browns have up there at WR and TE.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »