Author Topic: Gazette: Jacobs’ return a boost for Marshall  (Read 258 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
Gazette: Jacobs’ return a boost for Marshall
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:28:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    By Doug Smock
    Staff writer

HUNTINGTON — Marshall coaches didn’t realize how much they missed defensive end John Jacobs until he returned from missing three weeks with a wrist injury.

Something different happened in the Thundering Herd’s game last weekend against Tulsa. It was a loss, like the previous five games, but the defensive registered sacks (two) and tackles for loss (seven) after a near-skunking in those categories at Memphis. There was pressure on the quarterback not seen in the past few games.

No. 46, Jacobs, hadn’t been seen in the past few games, either. There is a correlation.

“He’s a great defensive end. His motor never stops running,” said middle linebacker Josh Johnson. “I don’t care if he gets double-blocked, triple-blocked, he’s still getting back on his feet and going hard every play.”

At Tulsa, Jacobs didn’t start but entered on the Golden Hurricane’s second possession. Near the end of the first quarter, he devoured a screen pass for a loss of 5 yards.

He came up much bigger on Tulsa’s first second-half possession. Immediately after the Herd was embarrassed for a 32-yard gain on a quick-snap “swinging gate,” Jacobs sacked Tulsa’s third-string quarterback on a trick play, causing a 10-yard loss. That set the tone for a half in which high-powered Tulsa scored just seven points.

Link: http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/Marshall/2007101732
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

« on: October 18, 2007, 06:28:10 AM »

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was wrong about this guy.  He played a very good game in the first half against the mountainsteers.  He is a Ron Puggi type player.  Pruett did good job recruiting Jacobs and McClehan in the same class.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Dreamherd"
    I was wrong about this guy.  He played a very good game in the first half against the mountainsteers.  He is a Ron Puggi type player.  Pruett did good job recruiting Jacobs and McClehan in the same class.

I agree! I just wished Pruett could have stayed and coached them as well.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »