Author Topic: I told you before and I am telling you again.........  (Read 4929 times)

Offline herdfan429

Re: I told you before and I am telling you again.........
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How much will we lose next year in ticket sales, concessions etc?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And, if I may venture a guess as the coaching prospect you ['94] mentioned in a later post -- Mark Whipple would fit most of the description. 

Is this based off of his past relationship with Marcum?  Or just a random guess?

Offline Olen

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 02:09:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is this based off of his past relationship with Marcum?  Or just a random guess?

Not really random - but a guess, and based on this statement by '94:  "It is however a current head coach with a lot of experience but not on the 1-A level."

To the best of knowledge, where Whipple doesn't meet the description is in the "current head coach" department.  From what I understand, Whipple did express an interest last time around, but I'm not sure how far that went. 

With that said, I still expect Coach Snyder to get 2008. 

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• either way, i hope we do, but i hope we make the right hire.

And there's the rub. Kayo won't get to make the hire, so that means we will be relying on the Prez, the BoG and the boosters to make the hire. Will they get it right? Who knows, but that's the AD's responsibility.

What a f*cking mess..................

What should happen before next year:

1) "Retire" Kayo

2) Bring in an AD with a belief in and vision for Marshall

3) Have the new AD evaluate the football program and make an informed decision for 2008

Having said that, anything less than a winning record and bowl game in 2008 should guarantee Snyder's removal, IF he even comes back for 2008.

Offline tradebait

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 02:38:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And there's the rub. Kayo won't get to make the hire, so that means we will be relying on the Prez, the BoG and the boosters to make the hire. Will they get it right? Who knows, but that's the AD's responsibility.

What a f*cking mess..................

What should happen before next year:

1) "Retire" Kayo

2) Bring in an AD with a belief in and vision for Marshall

3) Have the new AD evaluate the football program and make an informed decision for 2008

Having said that, anything less than a winning record and bowl game in 2008 should guarantee Snyder's removal, IF he even comes back for 2008.

I can't disagree with any of that, Garbanjo.
    Superior skill and knowledge win over fear and superstition each and every time.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish we'd hold on to MS for one more year, we're not going to see a drastic drop in ticket sales (based on year's prior to this year, which was inflated because of the WVU game). After another year Mark's buyout will drop somewhat and this year there's going to be A LOT of coaching changes, which will work against us, IMO.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mark Whipple's name was bounced around on this forum the last time considering his ties with Marcum.  They were at UMass together.  

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/whipple_mark00.html

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 02:42:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't disagree with any of that, Garbanjo.

I can.  I would've capitalized the 'F'. :P

Offline goherd94

• Rookie
    « Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whipple is NOT the man.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007, 02:46:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whipple is NOT the man.

Maybe we can get him as the OC and QB coach :)

Offline alumni74

• Varsity
    « Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its always nice to get a rumor started and speculate but it ain't gonna happen. If it did, it would be the worlds biggest double cross. Snyder could have easily went the JUCO route and picked up a few more wins. But thats not doing things the rights way. Im sure  he could have cut corners and been gone before it caught up with him much like what a couple of coaches in the conference are doing. We made a commitment and snyder made a commitment. Nobody said it was going to be rosey along the way.

Whats funny is how UCF fans commented on how they felt about O'leary when he first got there. They said it was brutal. Now all they b!tch about is their new stadium.

Offline Massherdfan

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its always nice to get a rumor started and speculate but it ain't gonna happen. If it did, it would be the worlds biggest double cross. Snyder could have easily went the JUCO route and picked up a few more wins. But thats not doing things the rights way. Im sure  he could have cut corners and been gone before it caught up with him much like what a couple of coaches in the conference are doing. We made a commitment and snyder made a commitment. Nobody said it was going to be rosey along the way.

Whats funny is how UCF fans commented on how they felt about O'leary when he first got there. They said it was brutal. Now all they b!tch about is their new stadium.

O'Leary went 0-12 in his first season, not his 3rd. Also, it seems like MS has changed his beliefs on recruiting JUCO's as he is going after several this season. Looks like he may be trying for a quick fix to save his ass.
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:03:54 PM by Massherdfan »
    I'm officially a Snyder Sunshinepumper!
    (3-9 & 12-23)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Again... It's not the players, it's the coaching.

UCF had a seasoned and successful hire in O'leary who went 0-11 his first year to 8-5 his second year.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Soccermom, we do not need that much. Actually the $800K being thrown around is not entirely accurate either. We can do it for much less. Remember that even though MU has contractual obligations to Mark Snyder, he also has contractual obligations to MU. I will leave it at that.

goherd94, I hope that MU makes the right decision about the coach, but I dont believe that this is what is going to happen. The man that makes the decision has a date for success in regards to Snyder, and its not this year. ...or next. I could be wrong, wont be first or last, but I dont see it happening. I am hearing much opposite what you are saying.....not that I dont agree, but its not what I am being told.

Offline TDHerd!

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You said the guy is a current coach but not at a division 1A  does that mean he is not even 1 AA or whatever they are going by....but if he is 1AA is would you be talking about Mickey?

Offline Thunder93

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 03:18:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chez,

i don't know who your source is. but that is what I have heard also. He has through 2009 to get it done, and everybody that counts (has input on the decision) is on the same page.

Offline alumni74

• Varsity
    « Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 03:25:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • O'Leary went 0-12 in his first season, not his 3rd. Also, it seems like MS has changed his beliefs on recruiting JUCO's as he is going after several this season. Looks like he may be trying for a quick fix to save his ass.

Not necessarily, we have some good young guys coming up. A few upper classman to speed things up a little is not going to hurt especially after what happened in the Dline this year. I can only tell you that Delvin Johnson is the real deal on the Dline. Is he going to make an impact immediately ? I don't know. But I do Know he is real and not widely advertised.

At this point in the season if Snyder goes after the top freshman in the country people are going to b!tch. If he goes after the top JUCO players in the country people are going to bitch. So he is screwed as far as that is concerned. The attrition has to be stablized because its all out of whack.

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    « Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder is relying on props, the same as Pruett.

What happens when Johnson, Bullock, Delagel, Curry and Cox fail to get eligible?

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder is relying on props, the same as Pruett.

What happens when Johnson, Bullock, Delagel, Curry and Cox fail to get eligible?

Same thing as Akia Brown, Elmer Holmes, Jeremy Graves, etc.

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    « Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Um, yeah.

Sure did, those guys didn't make it.

I never said Pruett had a good track record with props. However, those who bash Pruett for taking those guys better be ready if Snyder's props don't make it.

Online svherd

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 03:45:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The quick fix is the only thing that may save Snyders job. He better go after fast Juco  D and O lineman and hard. We're getting killed in the trenches.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Um, yeah.

Sure did, those guys didn't make it.

I never said Pruett had a good track record with props. However, those who bash Pruett for taking those guys better be ready if Snyder's props don't make it.

I wasn't trying to point that out, just that if they don't make it, they don't make it. There's very little you can do since you won't find out if they made it or not until well after signing day.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline Thundering Lydia

• All American
    • GKI Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $800k is Snyder's buyout, but you also have to consider the cost to terminate the contracts of the assistants Snyder has here

Actually, you don't.  The assistants are nothing more than state employees working under a 1 year contract.  They just have to be paid to the end of their contracts; and all they're "guaranteed" is their base salary (i.e., MU has no obligation to continue perks such as cars).

Assistants don't get "buy-outs."  They get a new contract at the end of the year, or they don't.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, you don't.  The assistants are nothing more than state employees working under a 1 year contract.  They just have to be paid to the end of their contracts; and all they're "guaranteed" is their base salary (i.e., MU has no obligation to continue perks such as cars).

Assistants don't get "buy-outs."  They get a new contract at the end of the year, or they don't.

We may have discontinued it, but one thing we did was start to guarantee via the BG or QB Club the assistants something, hoping to help with retention when we were losing a bunch of them to other schools.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder has recruited just like every other Herd Coach...he has taken chances on a few non qualifiers and it has not panned out...he should have had a better plan than counting on V Curry on the dline...he lost guys even before the season started that quit the team.  Marshall needs to use JUCOs, props and regular qualifiers to be successful...we are not the type of school that can pass on talent of any kind...all coaches are the same so quit acting like Snyder has done it the right way...his players have not qualified and he has had players get in trouble just like other Herd coaches...he is no better or worse...the difference is he can't COACH!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »