Author Topic: future schedule hurting head coach search????  (Read 1795 times)

Offline chasegoherd

• Practice Squad
future schedule hurting head coach search????
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is the fact that we will be playing wv for the next several years along with other very successful big schools hurt or help our chances of landing a big time coach if we replace snyder?  Do you think a guy like terry bowdon or the buffalo coach would want to play the big boys or would rather try to win ten games with a weak non confernce schedule and a cusa conference schedule.  I wouldnt want to take over our program right now and have to play the big boys right away.  If we do get rid of any of those big boy games we should do it before we hire a new staff.
    JIMMY HILL QB MARSHALL 2028

HerdFans.com

future schedule hurting head coach search????
    « on: November 05, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »

Offline goherd94

• Rookie
    Re: future schedule hurting head coach search????
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2 things. First of all I don't want a coach who is afraid of the "big boys".
    Secondly, those "big boys" are very important to recruiting and a good coach will use the schedule as a good recruiting tool.

Offline Thunder Struck

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:53:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will be the first one to say it ... if Marshall lowers their standards and starts to schedule piss ant teams to sugar coat their victory column ... Im jumping ship. Screw going back to playing crappy teams just so we can all smile again. The answer is to get a new A.D. who has a vision on what it takes to go to the next level. If that is take'n care of ... we are looking at five years to come out of this hole we are in. If we go down hill another year or so with the same management ... we are simply in deep sh*t

Offline firstate

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:19:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • any cupcake, any time, our place

Online herd2win

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 01:04:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need some wins.  It is great to play WVU and a team like Cincy...then we should have 2 probable wins.  That is what our schedule should look like.  That gives us recognition and a good chance to be 2-2 or 3-1 going into conference IF WE HAD A NEW COACH...with the current coach it doesn't matter at best with any schedule we would be 4-8 or 5-7 and probably 2-10 or 3-9.

Online hookem herd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 01:31:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need some wins.  It is great to play WVU and a team like Cincy...then we should have 2 probable wins.  That is what our schedule should look like.  That gives us recognition and a good chance to be 2-2 or 3-1 going into conference IF WE HAD A NEW COACH...with the current coach it doesn't matter at best with any schedule we would be 4-8 or 5-7 and probably 2-10 or 3-9.

Get used to1& 2 star recruits then. Good players want to play against the big boys!!!

Greg Adkins

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were on track to building a first rate program when Snyder lost the wheels off the bus. A very real part of that progress had been taking on the better teams and not just competing, but sometimes beating them.  We’d been doing that for fifteen years or better.

The only way we can get the recognition most of us want is to be competitive with the best. If the prospective coach isn’t interested in building a first rate team then we shouldn’t be interested in him.

Offline Gerald1

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The cupcake this year gave us our cake and made us eat it too.
    I'd rather play USC, Alabama, Notre Dame and WVU every year than the likes of UNH, Wofford, Sisterhood of Football playing Nuns, Associated Peg Legged Pirates...
    There's much more money and respect and recruiting in playing the big boys than in playing the nobodies. jmo
    Go Herd! Fight On!

Offline rvntx

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wHEN DID WE START A SEARCH FOR A NEW COACH?  wHAT THE HELL !

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...There's much more money and respect and recruiting in playing the big boys than in playing the nobodies. jmo

It is nice to have a soft opener. It has worked for the Gators for years. Essentially it is two additional scrimmages.

It's also nice to play a really good game early in the season, because so many teams are playing cupcakes a decent match up guarantees good media coverage.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 11:16:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Real coaches have stones.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Real coaches have stones.

EXCELLENT POST
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    « Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall shouldn't run from any team regardless of record.  A good coach can turn things around.  AKA Mitch Jacobs.

Offline jn4theHERD

• All American
    • Member Since 09/2012
    « Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is nice to have a soft opener. It has worked for the Gators for years. Essentially it is two additional scrimmages.

It's also nice to play a really good game early in the season, because so many teams are playing cupcakes a decent match up guarantees good media coverage.

PB........Trouble with this is....... right now we are the cupcake.  :'(
    « Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:45:15 PM by jn4theHERD »

Offline MU Mike

• All American
    • Member Since 07/2010
    « Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:44:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were on track to building a first rate program when Snyder lost the wheels off the bus. A very real part of that progress had been taking on the better teams and not just competing, but sometimes beating them.  We’d been doing that for fifteen years or better.

Really?  So how many of those real good teams did we average playing over that 15 years as you claim?  One?  Less than one?  How many did we beat?  10%?  5%?

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We're 1-14 against BCS teams with winning records since 1997, yeah, let's keep playing 3-4 a year.

Offline Gerald1

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And this year we're 1-5 against non-BCS teams. I'd still rather be playing the best. Than bullying the little guys.
    Go Herd! Fight On!

Offline Gerald1

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is nice to have a soft opener.

I agree with you there. UNH should have been the opener this year.
    3 away games in a row are pretty bad also. Snyder has not been dealt
    a great hand, but he's also misplayed some of his best cards, imho.
    Go Herd! Fight On!

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And this year we're 1-5 against non-BCS teams. I'd still rather be playing the best. Than bullying the little guys.

It wasn't a question for now, so far as in if in 5 years we're back where we were in the late 90's / early 00's, would you rather play 3 BCS schools that are above average, or would you want to play 1 maybe above average, 1 average, and then a couple non-BCS schools>?

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 05:29:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gators can take a soft opener...they have UT, USC, & GA before they can even get out of their own freaking division.  We have UAB, UCF, ECU...Not bad teams, but hardly the types we SHOULD need a soft opener for.

Ask Albert McClellan if he wants a softer schedule.  Ask Cody Slate if he wants a softer schedule.  They'd probably drag you into an alley and kick the &#&% out of you for questioning their manhood. 

For those who would like to see us schedule down, let's drop WVU first.  With their facilities, coaches, alumni contributions, etc. they will be in the top ten for some time...I can hear it now..."Whoa now, no one said anything about dropping WVU.  WVU is good for our program.  WVU is good for the state."

Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline Thundering Lydia

• All American
    • GKI Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Even better, we're 0-1 against middle of the road I-AA schools this year.

Maybe we can schedule some high schools to play?

Offline Banshee

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even better, we're 0-1 against middle of the road I-AA schools this year.

Maybe we can schedule some high schools to play?

OUCH, T.Lydia, my sentiments to a T!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »

Offline Gerald1

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 12:58:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • would you rather play 3 BCS schools that are above average, or would you want to play 1 maybe above average, 1 average, and then a couple non-BCS schools>?

I don't have a problem scheduling schools that are close. Such as Ohio, Pitt, Cincinnati, Indiana, Lil' Miami, Kentucky, Louisville, Wake, VaTech, Navy, Maryland, NC State, etc.
    But I'd much rather MU play Pitt, than say Pitt State, Kentucky than Kentucky State, etc.
    I just don't want us scheduling down for a greater chance at winning a game. Okay, MU probably has MS for at least one more season.  Still, I don't want to replace Wisconsin with Wisconsin-Eau Claire or another opponent like that. We will probably lose to Wisconsin but there's no guarantee we'd beat Wisconsin-Eau Claire either, and the payout in the long run will be more significant by playing Wisconsin, jmho. So I don't disagree with you. I'm not sure that I want us avoiding the traditional football powerhouse for a chance to play a more winnable game, especially if we can get a 2-1 or 4-3 type deal worked out. I don't really like the 1 and done scheduling. However, I'd love for MU to get a game on the west coast, Fresno, San Diego, UNLV or even UCLA. That would be awesome!
    Go Herd! Fight On!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 12:58:49 AM »