Author Topic: Basketball Exhibition  (Read 1419 times)

Offline mu1995

Basketball Exhibition
« on: November 06, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am pretty impressed with several items in the first half in the exhibition game.  8 blocked shots for MU in the first half.  I like the agrressive play.  I am beginning to have a good feeling about Coach Jones. 
    I don't like to lose, and that isn't so much because it is just a football game, but because defeat means the failure to reach your objective. I don't want a football player who doesn't take defeat to heart, who laughs it off with the thought, 'Oh, well, there's another Saturday.' The trouble in American life today, in business as well as in sports, is that too many people are afraid of competition. The result is that in some circles people have come to sneer at success if it costs hard work and training and sacrifice.- Knute Rockne

HerdFans.com

Basketball Exhibition
    « on: November 06, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »

Offline MUAlum2004

Re: Basketball Exhibition
    « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Same here.  Good intensity, fast breaks and press as well.
    Concerns:  Turnovers, 3 pt shooting and back to back slow starts.

Offline mu1995

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is particularly fun is to hear the WMUL kids getting excited about the dunks and up tempo play.  I think they have made comments two or three times about not seeing such enthusiasm from MU the last few years.  Hopefully this will make an impression on other kids on campus too. 
    I don't like to lose, and that isn't so much because it is just a football game, but because defeat means the failure to reach your objective. I don't want a football player who doesn't take defeat to heart, who laughs it off with the thought, 'Oh, well, there's another Saturday.' The trouble in American life today, in business as well as in sports, is that too many people are afraid of competition. The result is that in some circles people have come to sneer at success if it costs hard work and training and sacrifice.- Knute Rockne

Offline mu1995

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 08:17:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many ally-oops can we put up in one game?   :D

Offline MUAlum2004

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The herd hasnt had this many dunks in a game in over 10 years I bet. 
    If this were a regular season game, the Herd would be one block away from tying the team record of 10 blocks.

Offline mu1995

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree on the slower start, probably a case of new players  and working out the chemistry.  They certainly seem to have a nice instinct to finish someone off when they get a lead though.  Good to see.

Offline mu1995

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd wins 94 - 72! 

It is always good to say Herd and wins in the same breath, even if it is an exhibition game.

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:39:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If any of you guys have been to the 2 games, that Baines kid looks legit.  We seem weak at 3-pt shooting so far, but I expect that to pick up when Williams and Walls begin to gain more confidence.  Dorris, Humphrey, and Baines could be a very potent trio.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My thoughts: Fun game to watch. Bro Grebe had a nice inside game, Tirrel Baines is a player (21 pts./ 7 blks/ 3 steals), Merthie will thrive in this offense when he gets eligible in the second semester. Despite hitting only 5-22 from the arc, Herd shot 54% tonight. One negative was 22 TOs but forced West Liberty into 23 TOs. It didn't take long for us to get a technical LOL. I look for Dorris to have a big year, and its scary to think how good Baines is going to be.

Offline Up5491yours

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 09:52:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was impressed with Bro Grebe in the 2nd half.    He made some nice moves on offense.    Also, Baines does not play like a freshman.  

Offline Banshee

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 11:24:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Baines does indeed look like the real deal, very impressed w/ him.  Pmac, also, controls the ball at a very fast pace, 1-2 to's that I remember, was in foul trouble first half, so didn't play as much as he should have, has a very nice looking shot, but won't/doesn't shoot much,  and our O suffered when Marshall(the player) took over for him.  M. Humpreys looked very good, although his shot wasn't falling, but played WELL above the rim, and blocked sev. shots, played good D.  M. Walls made a 3, but didn't seem quick enough to create, but he's young, so we'll see, his shooting mechanics look outstanding.  M. Doris played great, good d, and agressive all nite, made several 3's, and slashed/dished/and scored well(top scorer).  The tempo, for the most part was a breath of fresh air, they pushed the ball, especially in the 2nd half.  I can't really totally endorse as much as others have the play of Bro-Grebe, as he was playing against much smaller/less quick competition, but even still, he did dominate sev. minutes of the 2nd half(approx. 10-12pts in a few mins.), his in close game looked good(baby hooks, of course dunks, don't believe he's much of a shooter).
    Overall, I'm not going to say we're in the top 5 of CUSA at the pt., but it looks like the future is gonna' be extremely bright, for however long we keep DJ here.  The man was subbing I think up to 10 players, non-stop, and "coaching" each and every one of them, whether they had done something right or wrong.  Color me impressed, and very optimistic towards where he's gonna' have this team in a couple yrs.

Offline Herd Fan 4-Life

• Varsity

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 06:04:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We aren't in CUSA'a Top 5 teams we had 22 TURNOVERS??!?!? ::)

22 Turnovers isnt a team thats that good folks....before we all start loving the preseason patsy's lets wait and see what happens a few games into the season...22 is a lot!
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline AtlTom

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully these exhibition games have prepared the team for their game next week against Pikeville College.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 07:57:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully these exhibition games have prepared the team for their game next week against Pikeville College.

Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We aren't in CUSA'a Top 5 teams we had 22 TURNOVERS??!?!? ::)

22 Turnovers isnt a team thats that good folks....before we all start loving the preseason patsy's lets wait and see what happens a few games into the season...22 is a lot!

Honestly, I think the majority of these were lack of execution against their full court press and not being able to execute inbounds plays against full court pressure.  We tried 5 times on 1 inbounds play.  I think those are things we can work out.  We have a couple of young guys who havent played that need to get their confidence rolling, but other than that we have some talent to win some games.  I think we'll be ok.

Offline cubsrams1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 10:03:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not too shabby Mark Dorris -- 25 pts, 11 reb, 9 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 11:59:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd wins 94 - 72! 

It is always good to say Herd and wins in the same breath, even if it is an exhibition game.

Amen to that, brother!
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline MUPE84

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the name of the game is to put the ball through the hoop.  I don't think we have anyone that can consistently do that.  Please recruit shooters.  I would have loved to have some of the West Liberty players.  Well coached team.

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One thing that sucks about living out of state is not being able to make it to many basketball games.  I'll definitely have to go over to Greenville for the ECU game.

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 09:45:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the name of the game is to put the ball through the hoop.  I don't think we have anyone that can consistently do that.  Please recruit shooters.  I would have loved to have some of the West Liberty players.  Well coached team.

I think we only scored over 80 twice last season and have done it in bother games this year.  Granted these are exhibition games, but it looks like Dorris and Humphrey are solid.  Baines doesn't look like a freshman.  He might be consistently a double/double.  I think we've got some shooters, we just needed a coach to bring it out of them.

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 10:45:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we only scored over 80 twice last season and have done it in bother games this year.  Granted these are exhibition games, but it looks like Dorris and Humphrey are solid.  Baines doesn't look like a freshman.  He might be consistently a double/double.  I think we've got some shooters, we just needed a coach to bring it out of them.

I can't comment on any of the new players, but I thought after watching the Herd play a few times last year that there was talent on the team with a lack of solid coaching.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 10:45:38 AM »

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't comment on any of the new players, but I thought after watching the Herd play a few times last year that there was talent on the team with a lack of solid coaching.

I think a good coach gets the talented players to play to their ability and the average players to play above their ability.  We'll see if DJ can do that.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we only scored over 80 twice last season and have done it in bother games this year.  Granted these are exhibition games, but it looks like Dorris and Humphrey are solid.  Baines doesn't look like a freshman.  He might be consistently a double/double.  I think we've got some shooters, we just needed a coach to bring it out of them.

We have plenty of scorers, IMO, but we have zero shooters.

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have plenty of scorers, IMO, but we have zero shooters.

we'll see.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »